AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE632U Owner's Thread

217K views 2K replies 201 participants last post by  paul85 
#1 ·
Figured it might be good to start a thread for us 70'' 632 owners instead of hyjacking either the 80'' 632 or 732 threads =). Feel free to post any questions/comments/concerns here!

#302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom /forum/post/21324003

More importantly, does anyone with a November build see the diamond shadow pattern? If not, sounds like the newer builds are the way to go to solve both problems

Can you display a shot of this diamond pattern? I ran through the WOW disc using the bright solid colors to look for screen inconsistencies. Is this the way to check for the clouding/diamond pattern?

#304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincey2kr1 /forum/post/21323800

September build here and I have the clouding on black screens, not noticeable during the movies though. Waltz so your saying you have no clouding on your November ? Any other November builds confirm? Hate to take back mine because it's such a pain load and drive an hour

I have minor clouding in two spots, on all-black screens. I have not tried to do anything about it (massaging it out), because it is minor, and it is not noticeable otherwise. Not a big deal to me.

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz /forum/post/21324309

I have never noticed this issue.

I haven't noticed it either and I have a Sep 2011 build. No clouding as far as I can see but I haven't really brought backlighting down. Using center position for backlighting and haven't noticed clouding either. Just a very slight darkening of the corners but not noticeable to affect picture.

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez /forum/post/0

Can you display a shot of this diamond pattern? I ran through the WOW disc using the bright solid colors to look for screen inconsistencies. Is this the way to check for the clouding/diamond pattern?

You can see the diamond Pattern when showing the all white slide and the clouding on the all black slide

#309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atstarr /forum/post/21324577

Here are a couple of average shots from my phone.

I wonder if Full LED Array tv's show this same pattern or if this is normal? If everyone else sees it. I'm not sure if this is due to this nature and if edge lit doesn't show it due to being only at the edges? I'm just thinking here..

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez /forum/post/21325234

I wonder if Full LED Array tv's show this same pattern or if this is normal? If everyone else sees it. I'm not sure if this is due to this nature and if edge lit doesn't show it due to being only at the edges? I'm just thinking here..

I went to Best Buy today and looked at the other Sharps. Some had it including the 732 70" but the 632 80" did not.

I didn't see it on any other brand.

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atstarr /forum/post/21325285

I went to Best Buy today and looked at the other Sharps. Some had it including the 732 70" but the 632 80" did not.

I didn't see it on any other brand.

And I thought 70" was big enough from 12 feet..now you tell me that if I want a perfect set, I need to go with the 80"?

Thanks for the information. Can others verify this?

#312 ·
Can anyone comment on what the "User" mode is for?

Is their any benefit to having one set of calibration settings for daytime viewing in a sunlit room and another setup calibration for night time viewing, is this even possible with the 632?

The consensus on this thread seems to be that "Movie" mode is the best for overall viewing correct?

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atstarr /forum/post/21325524

I'm not sure, there where a few different 73x and 78x. I didn't see it on the 3d 70" version but don't recall what specific model it was.

IIRC:

- 632 non-3-D, non-Quattron 70"

- 732/33 non-3-D, Quattron 70"

- 734/35 3-D, Quattron 70"

733 and 735 being the Costco model numbers.

Most people have commented that the Quattron doesn't really do anything, and, in fact, may have a lesser PQ than the non-Quattron. YMMV...

And I, personally, don't need 3-D. I can get all the 3-D I want by turning Film Mode on, to get the SOE. In fact, I tried it on Low for Ice Age 3, and the effect was unbelievable, in a good way! I think that if you do that for any animated content, you'll get "SOE 3-D"...

#317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltaz /forum/post/21321736

Watching the Browns-Steelers on NFL Network, and it looks ridiculously good...!!

YES! Very comparable to my Kuro. I was blown away how the Steelers black uniforms look so inky and yellow throwback helmets so vibrant. I did tweak the yellow CMS hue a little to the red to give the yellows a more gold color. But that was about it and I was blown away with the picture quality of NFL network in HD.

#318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture /forum/post/21325491

Can anyone comment on what the "User" mode is for?

Is their any benefit to having one set of calibration settings for daytime viewing in a sunlit room and another setup calibration for night time viewing, is this even possible with the 632?

The consensus on this thread seems to be that "Movie" mode is the best for overall viewing correct?

I own the 732 and use two different setting for day and night. User mode for day (I have a lot of light coming) and Movie for night.

I'm not sure if the 632 has the same settings as the 732. If it does, when you set the color and tint, you have to make sure that the color gamut (I think) needs to be standard and not expand.

#319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/21322144

Interesting. So, it looks like the blue filter only works if the color temperature is set to low. I think that is why it works in the movie mode. Learn something new everyday...

Here are my setting after calibrating it with AVSHD videos.

AV Mode: Movie

All enhancements are turned off

Backlight: +16 (I like it bright since there are usually ambient lighting)

Contrast: +34

Brightness: -10

Color: +12

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 0

The look is very natural and film like. Pretty nice indeed.

OK, just took a first pass through with the WOW disc, doing the "Basic" calibration. My results as follows:

- Did the calibration in a darkened room; same as how I'd watch a movie

- Input: HDMI from a Blu-Ray player

- Mode: Movie

- All enhancements turned off

- Backlight: 0 (I left this "neutral" as a baseline to calibrate against)

- Contrast: +30

- Brightness: +1

- Color: +12

- Tint: +3 (I struggled with Color and Tint; will do it again with some other eyes providing their opinion)

- Sharpness: 0

- Advanced Menu: Everything is Off

The settings carried over to the HDMI input from my Cox HD STB, and I'll be interested to see how they hold up. Additionally, the HD cable viewing will often be in a brighter (daytime) environment, while Blu-Rays will almost always be viewed in a darkened environment, so potential tweaks due to that.

Note: When doing the Contrast adjustment, I noticed the "diamond-crosshatch" pattern for the first time, on the all-white screen, when the Contrast is turned up super-high. I have never noticed this in "normal" viewing, and still don't. I think it may be a function of having the contrast set too high?

Let me know how it all looks!

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape /forum/post/21326861

I own the 732 and use two different setting for day and night. User mode for day (I have a lot of light coming) and Movie for night.

I'm not sure if the 632 has the same settings as the 732. If it does, when you set the color and tint, you have to make sure that the color gamut (I think) needs to be standard and not expand.

Thanks for the confirmation on two viewing setups. Now I have to figure out if it's possible to program my Harmony 900 remote to switch between the two?

#322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afletche /forum/post/21270321

does anyone know how big the box is for this? and is it ok to lay it down or do they need to be transported upright like plasmas? i'm thinking of getting one from best buy (they have them for pickup in the local warehouse vs 3-5 ay delivery) and want to make sure it'll fit in the van - thanks!

yeah, I'm still searching for the box measurements too. Is it on the website somewhere and I'm just not seeing it? Seems like it would be good info to provide...

#323 ·
I have the diamond pattern/cross hatching too on my set. It's really distracting when images pan from dark to light or in when a bright image is displayed on screen. I'm also a huge gamer and notice ghosting in "game" mode. :\\ I'm coming off a Samsung 61" DLP so there were big shoes to fill. HD movies and shows look amazing otherwise.

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture /forum/post/0

The 632 remote has a View Mode button on it, when I pressed the button it was set to "stretch". I think I see an improvement for the better when I switch it to "Dot by Dot". Does anyone know what this mode is for and what the correct setting is?

Thank you.

Yes you want dot by dot. That is a direct pixel match to 1080i/p. otherwise, you are hiding some of the image

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.