AVS Forum banner

'Luck' on HBO

18K views 262 replies 52 participants last post by  Keenan 
#1 ·
 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578887/

A TV series centered around characters who are tied to the same horse-racing track.

Michael Mann (Heat) and David Milch (Deadwood) have collaborated on Luck, a new HBO series that takes place in the world of horse racing. Dustin Hoffman plays what looks like this series' rough equivalent to Al Swearingen, and Nick Nolte, Richard Kind, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Joan Allen, Ian Hart, Kevin Dunn, Kerry Condon, Tom Payne and Patrick J. Adams all have roles.

First trailer released here:

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/...luck&view=null

#6 ·
It was damn near incomprehensible...not only the dialog, but the barely glimmering motivations of the main characters except the lowlives chained to the track with their gambling addiction. I know it was a pilot and it has a great cast, but I hope Milch doesn't spend 6 or 8 episodes of mystical character development before he attacks a plot. Deadwood was centered in Deadwood's semi-history and illuminating characters. John in Cincinnati was a total mess. Hopefully, this leans a bit more linear so that folks don't give up on it.

#8 ·
Looks to me like a great show, but its impossible to say much based on a pilot. Will be a huge cast of complex and flawed characters played by some pretty heavy-weight actors. Don't watch if you like things spelled out for you, it will take some time to sort out all the players.

This show is a huge departure for HBO. Never before have they allowed a series to cast box-office talent like this.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21340289

One thing is sure...this show has a helluva cast.

Unfortunately, horse racing is something I could give jack-squat about.

C'mon, Oink, that's like saying you wouldn't watch Deadwood because it was a western. Luck is set in the world of horse racing, but it's not about horse racing.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/0

It was damn near incomprehensible...not only the dialog, but the barely glimmering motivations of the main characters except the lowlives chained to the track with their gambling addiction. I know it was a pilot and it has a great cast, but I hope Milch doesn't spend 6 or 8 episodes of mystical character development before he attacks a plot. Deadwood was centered in Deadwood's semi-history and illuminating characters. John in Cincinnati was a total mess. Hopefully, this leans a bit more linear so that folks don't give up on it.

Ron.

Give it until episode 4 and then let me know what you think.

#17 ·

Quote:
Dennis Farina [Mike Torello from Crime Story] is in it, I'm watching....

"Put the cuffs on Ray...."

Awesome handle Ray Lucca!

Michael Mann as director and executive producer is enough for me, and the premier episode had all the classic Mann touches, the intense cinematography, great use of music (including some cues from Heat) and dialogue, plenty of familiar faces from previous Mann efforts and a slow build-up of tension throughout the runtime. I'm really looking forward to this; I'm not looking forward to waiting six weeks to see it again...

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/21348639

Ron.

Give it until episode 4 and then let me know what you think.

Sounds good...did you work on this?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph /forum/post/21348564

C'mon, Oink, that's like saying you wouldn't watch Deadwood because it was a western. Luck is set in the world of horse racing, but it's not about horse racing.

I consider horse (or dog) racing to be very close to cruelty to animals.

I just can't abide that....in spite of the high level of talent involved in the show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.