AVS Forum banner
363K views 1K replies 419 participants last post by  Enterfrize 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of EluneVision screens? They are an Asian brand. Are they any good?

#778 ·
I was wondering if anyone handles the Elunevision screens in Europe, or outside the US in general. I have just bought the Epson EH-TW6000W, and I have a big ambient light problem... white ceiling, pale green walls, light carpet.

Posting on a well-known UK AV site, the response has been "spend lots of money, because you only get what you pay for". And the general consensus I see here, is "you don't need to spend lots of money, to get the quality you desire".

I've been quoted £1300 (over $2000) or more, to get a screen to control my ambient light problem on the UK site I mentioned. Yet I see people here doing that for a fraction of the cost... and all of them seem immensely happy with their choice of screen. Which to me speaks volumes about the quality of both the product, and the service from the company concerned.

After seeing what is possible for a more realistic price, I am even less convinced that spending over $2000 is what is required. But of course, all this is in vain, if Elunevision is simply not available outside the US.

Thanks for reading my long ramble, and for any info you can provide in return.

Cheers

Lee

#779 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao /forum/post/21318847

The light leakage is minimal from the back side of the screen, and I have extensively tested it vs the regular Reference Studio 100 with the black backing for the Fixed. In fact in our demo room, I have the Reference Studio Tab Tension 4 inches in front of our Fixed Frame. There is no difference in picture quality between the two screens, one with a black backing and one without. The white surface of the Reference Fixed would scatter any light from the Tab Tension back to the Tab Tension and thus make this a good test.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. I hold judgement till I get the PJ running.

#780 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis_fan /forum/post/21319072

What size 16:9 reference gray should I go with? Looks like 100", 108" or 115" will all work ok....Sitting 13' back is there such a thing as too big?

Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj /forum/post/21320154

I would go with the 100" or the 108" personally, but it's a matter of taste. Some would go with 115" even, but I think the safe bet for the majority would be either the 100" or 108".

Thanks,

Milosh

Really? I asked around and got bigger advice. I'll be 10 feet away and am considering 120" 16:9 or even more if 2.35:1 format.

#781 ·
I felt differently when I had my 720p projector a while back, but ever since going to 1080p I definitely subscribe to the "bigger is better" theory. I sit around 10' away, just as you do, and my screen is 120". When I upgrade to the Elune Vision Reference, I'm going with the 135", cause that's the absolute most screen I can fit in here

#782 ·

Quote:
Really? I asked around and got bigger advice. I'll be 10 feet away and am considering 120" 16:9 or even more if 2.35:1 format.

From 10 feet away, I don't think you would be able to see the whole screen surface very clearly without having to shift your eyes back and forth, which would mean you went too big. Personal taste is always there, but I don't think I would go above 100" screen from 10' away.

#783 ·
I'm trying to set the drop-stop on my reference screen now that I'm ready to use it and I can't for the life of me get the adjustment tool to do anything. I can't tell if it's seating into any kind of socket when I insert it into the designated hole. When I did find some resistance I turned it for about 10 turns and nothing...so I tried about fifty turns unitl my fingers were sore and still nothing... it drops down too far.

I'm definitiely turning it in the right direction according to the arrows on the sticker... but I have no idea if the resistance I'm feeling is just because I've crammed the tool up against something or it's actually doing anything.

Any pointers or help wouild be greatly appreciated.

Very frustrated right now.

#784 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj /forum/post/21344473

From 10 feet away, I don't think you would be able to see the whole screen surface very clearly without having to shift your eyes back and forth, which would mean you went too big. Personal taste is always there, but I don't think I would go above 100" screen from 10' away.

We're talking diagonal, right?

100" diagonal screen from 10' away yields a 40 degree horizontal viewing angle. THX guidelines say 36 degrees is the minimum angle for the furthest seat. THX recommend 53 degrees as the maximum for the front row (that's one screen width away). I don't want to sit on the first row at the theater, but I sure don't want to be close to the last row.

120" diagonal is 47 degrees.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

#785 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/21344981

I'm trying to set the drop-stop on my reference screen now that I'm ready to use it and I can't for the life of me get the adjustment tool to do anything. I can't tell if it's seating into any kind of socket when I insert it into the designated hole. When I did find some resistance I turned it for about 10 turns and nothing...so I tried about fifty turns unitl my fingers were sore and still nothing... it drops down too far.

I'm definitiely turning it in the right direction according to the arrows on the sticker... but I have no idea if the resistance I'm feeling is just because I've crammed the tool up against something or it's actually doing anything.

Any pointers or help wouild be greatly appreciated.

Very frustrated right now.

Hi

I left voicemail and emailed you with my number. I can walk you through how to do it.

Also for everyone else, I will post my walkthrough later as I get this question a few times a year.

Thanks

Dave

#786 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao /forum/post/21346676

Hi

I left voicemail and emailed you with my number. I can walk you through how to do it.

Also for everyone else, I will post my walkthrough later as I get this question a few times a year.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks, will do when I get home. I'm very mechanically inclined, and not bad at reading directions either...so this is baffling..

#787 ·

Quote:
100" diagonal screen from 10' away yields a 40 degree horizontal viewing angle. THX guidelines say 36 degrees is the minimum angle for the furthest seat. THX recommend 53 degrees as the maximum for the front row (that's one screen width away). I don't want to sit on the first row at the theater, but I sure don't want to be close to the last row.

I wouldn't try arguing with the numbers, but the THX recommendations have always been too large for me, and I do see a lot of exchanges down to a smaller size for people who go with the THX recommendation as per above. Their reason is always the same reason that I recommended the particular size screen in the post above: you need to shift your eyes too much if the action is not always centered on screen (ie if the most important part of the scene is at the left or at the right). This makes watching longer movies, or multiple tv-shows in one sitting very straining for a lot of people - and I am going with a combination of customer feedback and personal experience here.

With that in mind, some people do stick with the THX recommended size and are very happy with it, so at the end of the day, I think there is no right answer, and each person should map out the screen size and try to figure out what size will personally work for them.

Thanks,

Milosh

#788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloshj /forum/post/21348176

I wouldn't try arguing with the numbers, but the THX recommendations have always been too large for me, and I do see a lot of exchanges down to a smaller size for people who go with the THX recommendation as per above. Their reason is always the same reason that I recommended the particular size screen in the post above: you need to shift your eyes too much if the action is not always centered on screen (ie if the most important part of the scene is at the left or at the right). This makes watching longer movies, or multiple tv-shows in one sitting very straining for a lot of people - and I am going with a combination of customer feedback and personal experience here.

With that in mind, some people do stick with the THX recommended size and are very happy with it, so at the end of the day, I think there is no right answer, and each person should map out the screen size and try to figure out what size will personally work for them.

Thanks,

Milosh

This is exactly why I bought a cheap-o screen off of amazon...so I coudl live with it while before pulling the trigger on a reference screen. I needed a little time to get a few bills paid anyway, so this worked out well. Having a 3D projector now, I actually like a larger screen. The effects are more impressive and I like the immerseion feeling you get from going to an IMAX. I may still stick with 120" but really considering the 135" model.

#789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHao /forum/post/21346676

Hi

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Dave, that was one of those conundrums wrapped in an enigma surrounded by confusion!!

Bottom line is the tool only goes in about 1" to 1-1/12", and has to be angled about 20 degrees pointing to the A/C plug side of the casing in order to seat in the switch socket. Works like a charm.

On the screen itself, I'm coming from an older Stewart Firehawk (not the G3), and I haven't calibrated the projector yet, but it's easy to see the difference in color and rendition already, plus I was able to get a sharper focus than on the slightly grainy Firehawk. Watching hockey, there was a huge difference, the ice looked real, whereas on the Firehawk it had almost a metallic sheen to it with some areas having a pinkish hue.

Regular TV programs look great and I haven't fired up the Blu Ray yet. Watching darker scenes though is where this screen is weaker than the Firehawk. Any ambient light at all really affects the PQ much more than I got accustomed to. I may not be able to use this set up for daytime movie watching without cranking up the lamp mode.

The screen is very translucent, from the back I can watch the program as clear as day from outside if I don't have the blinds down. I'm not noticing much of an affect on the picture from the back side reflection so far as I can tell. The in room reflections are much more in play.

#790 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21348998

This is exactly why I bought a cheap-o screen off of amazon...so I coudl live with it while before pulling the trigger on a reference screen. I needed a little time to get a few bills paid anyway, so this worked out well. Having a 3D projector now, I actually like a larger screen. The effects are more impressive and I like the immerseion feeling you get from going to an IMAX. I may still stick with 120" but really considering the 135" model.

Yeah, I'm going to use a sheet to figure out what size I really want.

#791 ·
Does anyone know the gain on the AT reference screen?

#792 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn /forum/post/21351751

Yeah, I'm going to use a sheet to figure out what size I really want.

What thread count?

#794 ·
#796 ·
Well I thought I'd give a non-professional review of this screen from assembly to use.

Coming from a Da-Lite screen which I have put together several to the Elunevision product. It would take me about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes by myself to assemble a Da-Lite fixed fram screen. This model of Elunevision took about 1.5 hours. Most of it was to become familiar with the process. Because of the way the screen has to be installed, I would recommend 2 people to ensure that the fabric is not snagged when the steel rods are inserted. I made sure to place the foam wrap on the floor so that the velvet would not pick up too much lint or particles. I found that the black backing to be a bit more finicky to install as it was very taught when installing the spring tension clips.

The frame itself is very simple to put together. You just have to ensure that the velvet wrap sits properly when squeezing the corners together.

Mounting on the wall is easy as well. the 2 included brackets just need to be screwed to the wall, preferably on wall stud instead of using the included plastic drywall anchors (I would actually just dispose of those and get the screw in anchors if you need to do it). The weight of the screen is almost double the weight of the Da-Lite screen 106" it replaced due to the 5 inch frame, so make sure you have the supports installed correctly.

I noticed that the weave itself is very fine and the material is off white in coloration.

Watching everything from standard DVD's to Blu-ray and 720p television I noticed that the whites projected on the screen have no tint to them anymore. There is a visual difference in perceived image sharpness. Skin tones are natural and do not push to the yellow side as compared to the Cinemavision. One of my biggest complaints for the Cinemavision was the sparklies and grain I noticed on the screen especially during bright scenes. The material on the Elunevision Reference has none of that. Screen brightness was uniform throughout the whole screen, even at ridiculous angles that most would not watch. The screen weave almost disappers when you are at 4 foot distance and at my seating distances of 9 feet and 16 feet this is a non-issue. The gain of the AT fabric is listed as 1.15. The gain of the Cinemavision is 1.3. At no time did I feel that the image less bright on the Elunevision Reference. I could not perceive any difference. As you can tell I am quite pleased with the image quality of the screen.

I have not tested the audio quality nor 3D viewing of the screen as I will be making some renovations to my dedicated theater room to accomodate the screen and new Sony VPL 95ES projector.

#797 ·
Thanks for the quick write up Moon. I would be interested to understand more as you test the audio and 3D qualities. This is exactly the same setup I am leaning towards purchasing next year; that is, the EluneVision reference AT screen with 95 Sony Projector.

#800 ·
I believe I was one of the first to actually own Elunevision’s new AudioWeave screens, but due to a complete basement overhaul, it took me a while to get everything up and running. First, let me say how great it was dealing with Dave Hao of Elunevision. Dave was/is extremely knowledgeable about his products and he always made himself available for questions or help. Overall, the Customer Service at Elunevision is really great.

I also have to disclose that I am no expert when it comes to screens or screen materials. I did however, own a few screens in the past, ranging from Goo systems to Dalite HP screens. The idea of going with an AT screen has always fascinated me, but I just didn’t want the hassle of having to build a false wall and to install the requisite acoustic material behind the screen, not to mention the extra work to black out everything behind the screen. Since I was doing a basement overhaul, I thought it would be a good time to get it all done in one big extensive project.

Having no previous experience with any kind of AT screen, I was very sceptical. I was concerned about light loss, poor definition, audio problems, moiré and a whole host of related issues. Dave Hao assured me that during his research and development of the new material, he had eliminated all of the inherent problems with the AudioWeave. After demoing his regular Reference Studio screen and being utterly impressed by them, I took his word that the AudioWeave would retain all the strengths of the Reference Studio with the added benefit of being Acoustically Transparent. So, I bought myself a 130 inch diagonal, 2.35:1 scope screen (120 wide by 51 high) AudioWeave.

I have been using the AudioWeave Extensively over the past week and here are my impressions:

1) There is absolutely no way ANYONE can tell that the material is a Weave anywhere outside of 6 feet (8 feet if I shine a flashlight directly on it). And that is without any program material. With movie material, I would have to go directly right next to the screen to see any patterns at all.

2) Moire was one of my primary concerns. Well, I can confirm that it simply does not exist anywhere on the AudioWeave.

3) Sharpness. Wow!!! All I can say is I am stunned. I was worried that, being a weave, there will be noticeable softness. I honestly believe that this weave is no less sharp than my solid High Power screen.

4) Color. Another home run. Damn, this thing is as true as I have ever seen.

5) Light loss. I was really expecting this area to be truly dreadful, especially coming from a Dalite 2.8 gain High Power Screen. Yes, the HP is definitely brighter. But for all intents and purposes, the AudioWeave does not suffer from excessive light loss. I am running a fairly wide screen (120 inches wide to be exact) with a projector that is not known for calibrated brightness (JVC X30). Although Dave told me I should run the JVC in high lamp mode due to the size of the screen as well as the Weave material, I have found that I can, and do, run it in normal mode with plenty of brightness (sorry Dave, it looks great in normal mode). In fact, I have my iris closed down to -10 (out of 15) and it’s still plenty bright.

It should be noted that I have total light control and not a speck of light gets into my room and I use non-reflective black fabric on my walls, ceiling and floor. In my surroundings, and from what I can remember, it is only slightly less bright than Elunevision’s own regular Reference Studio white (for those who have seen the Reference Studio). In fact, the difference is very subtle and you may not even notice the slight difference.

6) AUDIO. As much as I am impressed by the video performance of the AudioWeave, I am equally impressed by the Audio performance. Naturally, it would be ideal without any barriers in front of your speakers and obviously there would/should be some level of loss or attenuation with the AudioWeave in Place.

As stated earlier, I am no expert in this area but I did take some measurements with my Radio Shack SPL Metre with the AudioWeave in Place and with it removed. From what I have measured, using the test tones from a receiver, the difference was no greater than 1db. And I am not even sure about the 1db because it seemed to fluctuate back and forth (it is a digital SPL meter).

In any event, when actually listening to movies and music the sound is fabulous and you completely forget there is a screen in front of the speakers. All you hear is the sound coming from the appropriate and proper locations on the screen---and it never sounded more “right” and natural.

Having the sound/dialog coming from the precise location of the characters on screen is truly an eye-opening experience. Once you have tried it you simply cannot go back (to having your speakers either on the floor or on top of the screen). In this layout, I can actually have all my speakers standing vertically and not the compromised position of having the center channel lying flat. That alone is a fundamental improvement. For those who have not experienced an AT screen system done right, be careful----It’s fracking addicting.

Okay, now for some negatives. When I bought my AudioWeave, Dave had not yet finalized the instruction sheet. As a result, I had a tough time trying to figure out the schematics and putting it together. It took me about three hours, a few stiff drinks and several calls to Dave Hao (not to mention I developed a whole bunch of new cuss words out of sheer frustration) to get things done. I even had a faulty (very important) screw that holds one of the “L” brackets in place—it had no treads and there were no extras in the package. Hint to Dave, include a couple of extras in the box in case there are duds or you could lose one. I had to improvise to make it work.

The above notwithstanding, if Dave has ironed out the kinks in the instruction manual then there really are no negative aspects to speak of. Let’s just say that this is one of THE BEST investments I have ever made in my home theatre experience.

I would like to disclaim that I am not a friend of Dave Hao and I have absolutely no affiliation with Elunevision. I am simply a well satisfied owner of a truly great product. Go check it out for yourself and I guarantee your opinions will be very similar to mine.

Best regards to all

Atabea.

PS: I have watched three 3D movies with the AudioWeave and while my (now stored) High Power screen would have provided a brighter picture, I find that the brightness is more than satisfactory. My Projector automatically switches in to high lamp mode for 3D and the increased birghtness and related settings are just about right. It looks phenomenal! Hopefully, as the lamp ages, there will not be a steep drop-off. Now that could present a problem. I will have to keep an eye out for that.

#802 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/21382986

Perhaps I am missing something, but are you planning on mounting your speakers behind the screen since it is AT?

Yes you are missing something. In my first post near the end I stated I have not tested the acoustic properties of the screen as the theater will have some major renovations to accomodate the new screen and projector.

Regards