AVS Forum banner
66K views 370 replies 95 participants last post by  dwk123 
#1 ·
I got the machine a couple off days now and i love it.

I sold my jvc x3 because i wanted better 3d performance.

The jvc had better blacks with the dark scenes but the mits hc7800 has a absolute stunning picture with the brighter scenes.

And the 3d is absolute great on the hc7800 with great color and no ghosting.

The build quality was better on the jvc The hc7800 feels a little cheap.

So for a 2d and a 3d projector a great buy i think.

I am gonne let it calibrated to get some better blacks if possible.

See less See more
#30 ·
ProjectorCentral's review of the HC7800 is up: http://www.projectorcentral.com/mits...tor_review.htm

This projector looks like it won't work for me, I have a large CIH setup and it just isn't going to have enough lumens for that although for a smaller screen it looks like it would be a really good projector. So my focus is now on the BenQ W7000 which hopefully has more real life lumens.

#32 ·
I didn't find the review particularly encouraging -- too tough to place and expensive clunky glasses, ouch! Poor, relatively speaking, black levels. PC didn't say if the black levels were any good in 3D mode. The 5010 doesn't have an active a DI in 3D mode so I would have expected the Mits to have beaten it in 3D for black level, but not a word.

#33 ·
From reading the review and as they stated all 3 projectors will perform well in 3D. Viewing 3D content will only be 1-2% of viewing within our house hold. I am looking for that 2D POP that DLP will give me! Many members have had this PJ on their watch list and many will have detailed reviews with different types of screens and lighting that can be reported for all of us to make decisions on what will best work with each of our HT designs. Look forward to reading each members impression. As stated in other threads, the lack of flexability range in mounting the HC7800 will be the decision maker. Lucky for me this PJ will work in my HT. Regards Tony

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor007 /forum/post/21359446

From reading the review and as they stated all 3 projectors will perform well in 3D. Viewing 3D content will only be 1-2% of viewing within our house hold. I am looking for that 2D POP that DLP will give me! Many members have had this PJ on their watch list and many will have detailed reviews with different types of screens and lighting that can be reported for all of us to make decisions on what will best work with each of our HT designs. Look forward to reading each members impression. As stated in other threads, the lack of flexability range in mounting the HC7800 will be the decision maker. Lucky for me this PJ will work in my HT. Regards Tony

Just for curiosity what size/aspect screen do you have?

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor007 /forum/post/21359553

WynsWrld

My current screen is an Elite Screen, CineWhite 120". With upgrading to the HC7800, I would like to increase to at least a 130-150 diagonal, any suggestions?? Also will be upgrading my AV source to handle the 3D, currently using Onkyo 805 that will be replaced with Onkyo 809.

assuming the 'best' mode lumens in the PC review are correct, i'm not sure i'd go over the 120" you currently have. I have a 142" screen, but it's the dalite high power rated at 2.8 x the light being projector at it, so 600 lumens is still quite bright. The limitation is that the projector has to mounted at, or near eye level in order to benefit from the maximum screen gain.

it might be best to wait to see if your happy with the light output with the 120" screen before considering upgrade to a larger screen.

Are these the 3D glasses that it ships with? it's the only picture I can find of the 7800 showing the proprietary glasses.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents /forum/post/0

Good lord. They are the same. Ugly, bulky, and expensive. Looks to be about 50% frame to lens too. Boo.

When I was in the Army they issued us these really ugly glasses at basic training dubbed "BCG's".. Short for "birth control glasses"

Gentlemen, these are the BCG's of 3D glasses. I like Mitsubishi and am sure the 7800 is a fine projector, but the glasses are really bad... And way too expensive.

#40 ·
Was it a pre-production unit that was reviewed, if so the lumens are probably off.

The lumens look a bit lower than I believe, 440 lumens in lamp low, that's less than I measured on a Mits hc4000 especially if he measured it at closest throw.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21360183

Was it a pre-production unit that was reviewed, if so the lumens are probably off.

The lumens look a bit lower than I believe, 440 lumens in lamp low, that's less than I measured on a Mits hc4000 especially if he measured it at closest throw.

ProjectorCentral was originally going to review a pre-production model but it had problems then they supposedly received a production model so the review should be of a production model.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/21359068

I didn't find the review particularly encouraging -- too tough to place and expensive clunky glasses, ouch! Poor, relatively speaking, black levels. PC didn't say if the black levels were any good in 3D mode. The 5010 doesn't have an active a DI in 3D mode so I would have expected the Mits to have beaten it in 3D for black level, but not a word.

This review was short on new information I was looking for. Looking forward to Projectorreview finishing their review now....he will receive the 7800 on Tuesday according to the site.

I have found something interesting today regarding my sharpness issue. I set the pj up from the beginning for my 2.35 screen. In the manual, you can set the screen size for 2.35, 4:3, or 16:9. It seems that in 16:9 it is doing a 1:1 pixel map, but in my case with the 2.35 screen, I think the projector is scaling on it's own. Look at the huge difference in these patterns between 16:9 and 2.35. The term 'razor sharp' really is the case with 16:9. The color fringe you might see on top of the first picture does not exist to the eye, the camera picked it up. I need the 2.35 aspect ratio for my CIH setup....now what?!!! I am relieved I found the source of the problem though. I thought that 2.35 would keep the 1:1 pixel map as it is just re-positioned within the 16:9 picture. I sort of expected the pixel map to be lost only when changing aspect ratio and scaling down to 16:9 on 2.35 screen (Mits CIH method). Very open to any advice from here

16:9 geometry grid:

2.35 - 3 pixel vertical pattern:

16:9 - 3 pixel vertical pattern:

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21362303

This review was short on new information I was looking for. Looking forward to Projectorreview finishing their review now....he will receive the 7800 on Tuesday according to the site.

I have found something interesting today regarding my sharpness issue. I set the pj up from the beginning for my 2.35 screen. In the manual, you can set the screen size for 2.35, 4:3, or 16:9. It seems that in 16:9 it is doing a 1:1 pixel map, but in my case with the 2.35 screen, I think the projector is scaling on it's own. Look at the huge difference in these patterns between 16:9 and 2.35. The term 'razor sharp' really is the case with 16:9. The color fringe you might see on top of the first picture does not exist to the eye, the camera picked it up. I need the 2.35 aspect ratio for my CIH setup....now what?!!! I am relieved I found the source of the problem though. I thought that 2.35 would keep the 1:1 pixel map as it is just re-positioned within the 16:9 picture. I sort of expected the pixel map to be lost only when changing aspect ratio and scaling down to 16:9 on 2.35 screen (Mits CIH method). Very open to any advice from here

16:9 geometry grid:

2.35 - 3 pixel vertical pattern:

16:9 - 3 pixel vertical pattern:

Your pictures do tell the story!

#46 ·
Yesterday me and my wife where watching avatar again on the hc7800(i saw this movie also on the jvc x3 ).

This is the best 3d i have ever seen.

My wife was the whole movie not saying anything(and she talk a lot lol).

The colors the depth the motion.... it was perfect.

It was hard to believe how great it was.

I also tested some scenes of TRON 3d this was also mind blowing.

I am gonne watch this movie also again this week.

I made my own user 3d preset wich is better for my situation,and looks far better then the 3d preset from the machine.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb /forum/post/21369270

TRON has intentional low seperation, so not the best demo.

Avatar is amazing. Even on my 500 buck Acer 5360.

Those glasses can't be fun to hang off your nose for hours.

I tried another passive 3D monitor yesterday. I REALLY like passive glasses.

I think tron has a amazing depth to it.

Avatar ist on most 3d projectors great.

i saw it also on my old jvcx3 to and looked great,but now its realy a another 3d trip with far better motion and even more depth.

I realy loved what i saw.

The glasses could be better i agree,but for one movie its okay.

#49 ·
I have a HD33 on order from BB that will be in tomorrow. I am wondering if it is worth the extra 1000-1500 dollars for this unit. I will watch both 2D and 3D movies and play games on my PS3. Right now I have a HC1500 Mits 720p projector on a 103" screen 1.1 gain.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl81 /forum/post/21372357

I have a HD33 on order from BB that will be in tomorrow. I am wondering if it is worth the extra 1000-1500 dollars for this unit. I will watch both 2D and 3D movies and play games on my PS3. Right now I have a HC1500 Mits 720p projector on a 103" screen 1.1 gain.

I haven't viewed any of the Optoma's so I can't give a direct comparison. I can say I am loving the 7800 more and more daily though. The sharpness issue isn't a dealbreaker for me as it's not noticeable from viewing position about 9 feet away.

The color's are incredible along with skin tones. It's nice and bright even on low lamp mode which should give a lot of hours on the lamp. The picture overall is really nice and punchy. I have tested motorstorm apocolypse along with a number of 3D bluray movies. The game seems great in 3D. For the blurays, the framerate conversion in 3D really is something special. Overall 3D is easy on the eyes, I find the glasses comfortable, and of course no ghosting which is a dream. I was looking for a muti-year solution with a one projector setup for both 2D and 3D, and right now am extremely happy with the 7800

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.