AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread

751K views 5K replies 906 participants last post by  bmurray716 
#1 ·
This unit has been available for a month or two but I haven't seen a thread for it yet, so here we are.

From the Pioneer website:

This hub for your home entertainment center allows you to enjoy your favorite movies on Blu-ray Disc®, DVD or VHS on your flat-panel television like never before. With standard features that include a phenomenal ability to upscale and convert analog video signals to1080p when transmitted through HDMI® to your high definition television, the VSX-1019AH-K's video scaler presents you with nothing but the best quality possible today - regardless of what video source it receives.

And as portable audio devices are now becoming a primary source of entertainment, it's also why the VSX-1019AH-K is Works with iPhone® certified. With this certification comes a myriad of benefits for enjoying your iPhone on the VSX-1019AH-K: easy connectivity with the front USB port and included cable - even charging the device while connected; music and movies are automatically muted with incoming calls (no longer requiring you to put the phone in Airplane Mode); compressed music files are greatly enhanced by Pioneer's exclusive Advanced Sound Retriever technology; Auto Level Control maintains a consistent volume from to song to song and all this control is still possible from the palm of your hand through the iPhone® itself or the VSX-1019AH-K's remote.

Add the VSX-1019-AH-K's brand new color Graphical User Interface (GUI) and the ability for 2nd zone A/V distribution, and enjoying a Blu-ray Disc movie in the living room while someone else scrolls through iTunes® album art while listening to music in a bedroom is all but effortless.

But the benefits certainly don't stop there. With 4 HDMI inputs and 2 component video inputs the potential to expand your HD entertainment experience even further is not only a dream come true but also a technical reality.

See less See more
#4,834 ·
^^^

a) you didn't do them all individually, you only used the fron connections...

b) stuff moves around when music is played... doesn't take much to short... people sometimes experience the short only when something goes boom, for example...

many many people post here with your issue... 99% of the time, it's a short, even if they are "sure" they don't have one...

#4,835 ·
Hi all, I don't know how active this thread is anymore, but here goes, I have had this receiver now for almost 2 years and it has by far surpassed my expectations. My issue is this and I looked around the thread for an answer and could not find one. I just upgraded my xbox360(fat) to an x360 slim, when i turn on the xbox i get sound but no picture, im assuming it has something to with the auto-detecting the video, but im not sure. I have tried 4 or 5 different hdmi cables and no luck, the xbox works just fine when I plug it directly into the tv or into the tv in my bedroom, but I would really prefer to have it hooked into my receiver for continuity in my home theater setup, anyone have any ideas? thanks

#4,836 ·
Hello:

I have a 1019 updated with 1.056 firmware. I've noticed that when the receiver is being fed anything above DTS or DD 5.1, (DTS-HD, etc) the sound is mostly distortion. If I switch back to regular DTS of DD 5.1, there are no audio problems at all.

I've tried different HDMI cables and 2 Blu Ray players, same results every time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#4,837 ·
^^^

Have you tried switching inputs on the receiver? I know you said you tried 2 diff bd players so you likely used the bd input. Worth a shot. Try using one of the other hdmi inputs.

#4,838 ·
Just a quick question: when I send an analog stereo signal to the receiver set to Direct, it displays "96kHz Stereo" on the front. With Pure Direct, it displays "Analog Direct". Why would there be a sample rate displayed for an analog signal? Do I have to listen in Pure Direct (and lose any MCACC settings, as well as my subwoofer!) to hear a pure analog signal?

I called Pioneer, and the guy (confusingly) told me that it was displaying what it is capable of. Huh? He insisted he understood my question, and that I was hearing an analog signal, but I'm not so convinced. Am I wrong in thinking that 96kHz Stereo implies it has been digitized at some point, or is this just an oversight in their design?

#4,839 ·
I have also tried the other hdmi inputs, no luck. I'm "fixing" the issue with a new 1021 that I purchased for a killer price. I'll just move the 1019 to my gaming rig.

I called a repair shop and they want $50 just to diagnose the problem, then parts and labor for the actual repair. For the first time, I regret declining the extended warranty!

#4,841 ·
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to AV stuff.

I'm fluent in a Kenwood KA-A5020(look that sucker up kids), which is what I'm coming from. I'm a poor college kid, don't judge.

So I got this Pioneer 1019 from my Dad just recently(hand-me-down), this thing is pretty awesome compared to my antique.

Here is what I have: Samsung 8000(3D) - Samsung 3D BluRay player - Pioneer 1019. All in a 2.1 configuration.

Here is my issue: I have no sound coming from my sub woofer, AT ALL, while playing a DVD or Pandora or anything.

3D BD ---> HDMI ----> TV

3D BD ---> Optical ---> Receiver

This is the only good way to do things that I know of.

The TV is on HDMI2(3D BD player).

The Receiver on DVR(which is what Optical port 1 is labeled.)

If I wire it like: 3D BD ----> Receiver ----> TV, it sounds great, but a severe lack of 3D(obviously).

The OSD menu is very weird, and I'm positive the setting I need to adjust is in the crazy menu.

ANY POINTERS?!

Any help is much appreciated.

-PhatAJ

p.s. I tried getting a HDMI splitter, things only got worse and more complicated.

#4,844 ·
I've had this receiver for about two years, and I've been pretty happy with it. I got it for a steal at BB. Anyway, this has been bothering the crap out of me since I bought it and I haven't found any solution. When I change channels on my cable box sometimes the audio drops out and will not come back. If I switch to another input and switch back to my cable box input it is fine. I am using HDMI 1 + Digital Optical 1 for my cable box on the TV/Sat input.

#4,846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself /forum/post/21382403

I've had this receiver for about two years, and I've been pretty happy with it. I got it for a steal at BB. Anyway, this has been bothering the crap out of me since I bought it and I haven't found any solution. When I change channels on my cable box sometimes the audio drops out and will not come back. If I switch to another input and switch back to my cable box input it is fine. I am using HDMI 1 + Digital Optical 1 for my cable box on the TV/Sat input.

Make sure that you are using the sigsel to switch from auto to digital, otherwise the sound will still be input to the avr through the hdmi (which is why your getting drop outs). Happy Holidays!

EuroVW89,

i believe you can matrix sound to the surround rear channels (similar to matrixing 5.1 from a stereo signal) by choosing one of the matrix options (i.e., Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie). See pg. 115 of user manual.

#4,847 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/21384080

Make sure that you are using the sigsel to switch from auto to digital, otherwise the sound will still be input to the avr through the hdmi (which is why your getting drop outs). Happy Holidays!

I will give that a shot... Hopefully that works. It gets irritating having to switch inputs and go back to TV/Sat when the audio drops out. Thanks!

Update:

It appears to have worked. Haven't watched much TV from the cable box, but it isn't dropping out and staying out when I switch between the channels where it had been a problem before.

#4,849 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 /forum/post/21402205

Glad you got it working. Cable boxs are notorious for audio drop out when connected via hdmi (shrug).

I still get an occasional drop out, but not anywhere near as much as it had been happening before. Before it would happen nearly every time I switched between HD and SD channels or between HD network channels and HD "cable" channels. Now it seems to just be random. I'd guess it's just the shoddy cable box from the local telco.

#4,850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/21382449

Try setting them to SMALL and listen for the sub.

Well the sub works now... But missing a lot of sound.. No mids, my bookshelf speakers have a 8" speaker in them. With my last receiver they sounded great. Not anymore. This damn osd is very complicated.

It has to be something in one of the settings to get my sub and my 8" woofer(on my book shelf speakers) working together.

Please help.

Thanks,

AJ

#4,851 ·
Hey all

I've been putting up with this for a while but it's doing my head in so I'm trying to sort it once and forever.

I have got my blu ray linked only by optical cable as it doesnt work with 3d movies when running the hdmi through the amp.

When I pause a DVD or rewind etc the source switches back to tv/satellite, it's really annoying and I have to keep switching back to dvr?

Anyone know how to disable this?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Oh and happy new year all

#4,852 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzerb /forum/post/21426169

Hey all

I've been putting up with this for a while but it's doing my head in so I'm trying to sort it once and forever.

I have got my blu ray linked only by optical cable as it doesnt work with 3d movies when running the hdmi through the amp.

When I pause a DVD or rewind etc the source switches back to tv/satellite, it's really annoying and I have to keep switching back to dvr?

Anyone know how to disable this?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Oh and happy new year all

Hi Gazzerb, on the receiver try turning off Kuro Link (HDMI Control).

#4,856 ·
Hi everyone,

I just read through 11 pages of search results for "subwoofer" and couldn't find a direct fix for my current problem. My system used to work perfectly fine months and months ago. A while back I turned my subwoofer (The Speaker Company ASW-10) off (via the switch on the back) and it has been off since. Last night I decided to turn it back on and it worked fine for about 15-20 seconds then just stopped working. Keep in mind NO changes were made to any of the connections since it had last worked perfectly fine.

I tried resetting the receivers settings and reran the MCACC and when it got to the sub I got a tiny, tiny little noise but then the receiver gave the message that volume on the sub is too low and to turn it up. Of course I had already tried turning up the volume and adjusting the crossover knob with no success. The most I have been able to get out of the sub is to put my hand on the actual woofer underneath and feel a very slight vibration with the volume turned up all the way (it could not be heard at all).

I tried turning the sub on and disconnecting the cable from the back of the receiver and touching the tip of to get a "boom" but it is dead silent. Does this mean there is something wrong with the cable or the subwoofer? Also, it was definitely plugged into the pre-out and not one of the multi-ins.

Is there a fuse in the sub that could be faulty? I really just want to get this working properly again, if anyone has any suggestions I would really, really appreciate it. If you need any further information from me please let me know. Thanks in advance.

#4,857 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by element192 /forum/post/21427476

I tried turning the sub on and disconnecting the cable from the back of the receiver and touching the tip of to get a "boom" but it is dead silent. Does this mean there is something wrong with the cable or the subwoofer? Also, it was definitely plugged into the pre-out and not one of the multi-ins.

Is there a fuse in the sub that could be faulty? I really just want to get this working properly again, if anyone has any suggestions I would really, really appreciate it. If you need any further information from me please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi element192, if the power indicator lights up then most likely not the fuse. It appears either a sub cable or the sub itself. Try another sub cable (a composite cable (yellow) can be used if sub cable is not available). Test the sub itself by connecting a CD or DVD or iPod player directly to sub. Then play song that contain low frequency by slowly turning up the volume.

#4,858 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/21427548

Hi element192, if the power indicator lights up then most likely not the fuse. It appears either a sub cable or the sub itself. Try another sub cable (a composite cable (yellow) can be used if sub cable is not available). Test the sub itself by connecting a CD or DVD or iPod player directly to sub. Then play song that contain low frequency by slowly turning up the volume.

Hi JChin, thank you so much for the reply. I just connected an old HDDVD player with a not so 'bassy' CD (it's the quickest one I could find) and connected the red and white on the HDDVD player to the red and white on the subwoofer. As I turned the volume up there was definitely sound coming out. Although, turning the volume to the max definitely wasn't very loud at all. Not sure if this is normal or the fact that it wasn't bass heavy music... Is this a good sign?

As a side note, the higher I turned the frequency knob, the louder the sound got.

Thanks again for getting back to me.