AVS Forum banner
66K views 370 replies 95 participants last post by  dwk123 
#1 ·
I got the machine a couple off days now and i love it.

I sold my jvc x3 because i wanted better 3d performance.

The jvc had better blacks with the dark scenes but the mits hc7800 has a absolute stunning picture with the brighter scenes.

And the 3d is absolute great on the hc7800 with great color and no ghosting.

The build quality was better on the jvc The hc7800 feels a little cheap.

So for a 2d and a 3d projector a great buy i think.

I am gonne let it calibrated to get some better blacks if possible.

See less See more
#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 /forum/post/21361402

Today i got a new oppo bdp93 . And wow this is a great combination with the hc7800 Razor sharp and great colors.

I was using a ps3 for 2D/3D playback. Yesterday I picked up the cheap Panny DMP-BDT110. For 3D playback, all I can say is wow. The panny 3D playback on the 7800 is leaps and bounds ahead of the ps3 for some reason. Even on the default 3D setting, there is just a tonne more depth in any given scene and you can tweak further from there. Great combo!!!

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz /forum/post/21379576

Just wondering if you set the screen size in the PS3? Thanks.

Yes, I have played with the screen size setting in the PS3 to each extreme. It doesn't do anything. From vast research on this, I believe the screen size setting may affect games, but does not affect 3D bluray at all.

I just got the WAF last night for both 2D and 3D on this pj, saying how great both looked. This is a big deal!!

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK /forum/post/21376935

Another thought about the 3D glasses of 7800D : Is it a DLP Link glasses ?

Could we use it on other DLP projectors ? That might be very interesting.

You got no answer because I suspect the answer is no. Those are proprietary glasses and pretty much eliminated the unit from my shopping list since I have several DLP Link glasses already. Not a whole lot of activity on this thread for a new release. Mitsu paint themselves in a corner with those glasses?

#59 ·
Also on a cheery note, my girlfriend and I watched Polar Express last night on the Mits, as it is that holiday time of year. Dare I say one of the best 3D flick's I've watched to date. Both of us lost our stomach a couple times when the train is doing the roller coaster thing. So much depth (also lots of popouts in this one), just great!! Again, I am incredibly happy with both 2 and 3D on this machine.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21383921

Also on a cheery note, my girlfriend and I watched Polar Express last night on the Mits, as it is that holiday time of year. Dare I say one of the best 3D flick's I've watched to date. Both of us lost our stomach a couple times when the train is doing the roller coaster thing. So much depth (also lots of popouts in this one), just great!! Again, I am incredibly happy with both 2 and 3D on this machine.

I am gonne watch that movie again this weekend on the hc7800.

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21352686

Now on to some concerns. This is my first DLP and it certainly is not as sharp as I hoped. I have the same 'problem' as a guy from a German forum.

It is not as noticeable from viewing position, but it definitely makes the overall image feel soft. This happens with both my sources, my htpc and ps3 as bluray player both through HDMI. I am really curious if this was what projector central's pre-production unit was suffering from?

Someone on the french forum is also raising this softness issue. See translation link above:

"I just the mitsu has an image too soft for a dlp and lack of brightness in low light duty to high lamp"

Not bad having consistent reports from two continents and three countries!

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe91 /forum/post/21399224

Hi everyone,

here is may complete test of the Mitsubishi HC7800.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...761#p176568761

Sorry, this is in french langage but i can translate for those who will ask.

Regards,

Patrice.

From the review it seemed that the reviewer was very impressed with the 2D to 3D conversion. This is what PC was originally claiming late last summer when it did its preview. Now PC is saying the conversion is not as good as the Panny's. What gives?

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/21400648

From the review it seemed that the reviewer was very impressed with the 2D to 3D conversion. This is what PC was originally claiming late last summer when it did its preview. Now PC is saying the conversion is not as good as the Panny's. What gives?

Maybe the pana has the best convertion system but the mitsubishi convertion is excellent too.

#69 ·
Originally Posted by jimmyj2

Now on to some concerns. This is my first DLP and it certainly is not as sharp as I hoped. I have the same 'problem' as a guy from a German forum.

It is not as noticeable from viewing position, but it definitely makes the overall image feel soft. This happens with both my sources, my htpc and ps3 as bluray player both through HDMI. I am really curious if this was what projector central's pre-production unit was suffering from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/21399498

Someone on the french forum is also raising this softness issue. See translation link above:

"I just the mitsu has an image too soft for a dlp and lack of brightness in low light duty to high lamp"

Not bad having consistent reports from two continents and three countries!

I'm looking forward to more owners posting their impressions in here. I wish at this point I could take those sharpness comments back. With more testing, I have found that the patterns are perfect and pixel matched when native in both 16:9 and 2.35:1. It is only when using the aspect scaling method that they go out a bit, and since the image is scaled at that point, I don't think it's possible to have them pixel mapped in the first place. Again, I would like to state that after more viewing, that even when scaled and watching a video, it is imperceivable. Until a 'pro' can state what is going on, I wouldn't take the Mits out of the running.....go see it for yourself when/if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe91 /forum/post/21399224

Hi everyone,

here is my complete test of the Mitsubishi HC7800.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...761#p176568761

Sorry, this is in french langage but i can translate for those who will ask.

Regards,

Patrice.

Thank you very much for your full review Patrice. I was following your thread for quite some time. Eventually I will have to have my PJ calibrated (or more likely learn to do it myself), but in the meantime for the heck of it, I plugged your white balance and CMS numbers in and they look great. Everything is popping on the screen!! I love the DLP picture more and more every day.

I will watch some test material before the end of the week regarding 2D to 3D conversion and post my impressions.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 /forum/post/21407030

Originally Posted by jimmyj2

I'm looking forward to more owners posting their impressions in here. I wish at this point I could take those sharpness comments back. With more testing, I have found that the patterns are perfect and pixel matched when native in both 16:9 and 2.35:1. It is only when using the aspect scaling method that they go out a bit, and since the image is scaled at that point, I don't think it's possible to have them pixel mapped in the first place. Again, I would like to state that after more viewing, that even when scaled and watching a video, it is imperceptible. Until a 'pro' can state what is going on, I wouldn't take the Mits out of the running.....go see it for yourself when/if you can.

I know the importance of going to view products in person as too many members here post without first-hand knowledge. Then there is the issue of being steered. I try to post what other owners or reviewers have noticed. You are to be commended for updating your position to the more accurate. Thanks!

Buying a projector is like buying a car. You can spend weeks becoming dazed and confused by only reading about it. Or just a ten minutes test drive to determine if its for you.

I am very interested in evaluating the 7800 (the only new DLP with 3D with the DC3) and went out for a day hopping from dealer to dealer. Some dealers had the 7800 in the warehouse but not on display. They were steering customers toward other products. I have the funds and want to support a local dealer, but no dice.

So even if you try like I did, you will frequently fail. There is also rather extreme pressure from sales people who I frequently end up teaching. Then there was one who told me he needed a sale cause he had a family to feed.

There is a heavy bias toward Sony and JVC with Epson running third. One dealer had the Sharp 17000. DLP seems rather confined to primarily to AVS and Amazon. It used to be the opposite. Dealers love the $8K projectors and are none to impressed when you show severe ghosting or gaudy color.

#72 ·
The more i use the hc7800 the more i like it.

It delivers a absolute stunning picture

The picture is taking with my mobile phone so it doesnt do its justice(the pink color on the mask is because the picture is taking on my phone)

Everybody a happy newyear...

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 /forum/post/21425580

The more i use the hc7800 the more i like it.

It delivers a absolute stunning picture

The picture is taking with my mobile phone so it doesnt do its justice(the pink color on the mask is because the picture is taking on my phone)

Everybody a happy newyear...

The picuture looks good. Very similar to the shots in the RS55/X70 owners thread. I am glad you like the projector, I have been looking at this or the HC4000 for my first one. I am still debating on the whole 3D thing. I have to say, the glasses for the 7800 have to be my least favorite of all I have seen. What are they like, they look heavy?

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/21426451

The picuture looks good. Very similar to the shots in the RS55/X70 owners thread. I am glad you like the projector, I have been looking at this or the HC4000 for my first one. I am still debating on the whole 3D thing. I have to say, the glasses for the 7800 have to be my least favorite of all I have seen. What are they like, they look heavy?

Hello

the glasses could be better but for one movie its okay.

and the emitter is very strong(you have no hard time placing the emiter it keeps his sync perfect)

And you get awsome 3d.

I have seen the jvc x30 the panasonic and the sonyhw30 but the 3d on this machine was simply the best.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 /forum/post/21426522

Hello

the glasses could be better but for one movie its okay.

and the emitter is very strong(you have no hard time placing the emiter it keeps his sync perfect)

And you get awsome 3d.

I have seen the jvc x30 the panasonic and the sonyhw30 but the 3d on this machine was simply the best.

When you say good for one movie is that due to comfort or eye fatigue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.