AVS Forum banner
86K views 259 replies 54 participants last post by  bl4ckstarr 
#1 ·
LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor

I've got one on order at the MSRP $349. Due to arrive in a week+-.

Didn't see a thread for this one yet.

The user manual says for 3D HDMI it supports:

Frame packing 1080p 24Hz, 720p 50/60Hz

Side by Side and Top/Bottom 1080p 1080i 720p 50/60Hz

Top/Bottom 1080p 24Hz, 720p and 1080p 50/60Hz

Good entry level price to view 3D without expensive glasses.

I wonder what it will do when plugged into my Sony TD10 3D camcorder.

See less See more
#152 ·
I concur about Amazon. They were only 15 minutes late with their " guaranteed 1pm next day delivery" (that was really the courier's fault anyway) + I got a beautiful 3D TV/Monitor with no faults. Thank you Amazon....which is more than I can say for the first online retailer, who I shall keep anonymous.

Streetdance 3D is on BBC HD 3D on January 1st 2013.....nice to get a 3D movie from the BBC Licence Fee.

Gae

#153 ·
What is the 3d verticle viewing angle of this monitor? Curious. This is a specification that should start being listed in all passive displays. The 32 Toshiba 32tl515u is 16 degrees which makes it so eyes can't sit easily at a monitor distance due to the bottom and top of the screen will blur based on the height level your eyes are with the monitor.

Anxiously waiting for the Acer hr274h 27 inch passive. This 23 inch is too small for me and the toshiba 32 inch failed on it's 3d verticle viewing angle to be considered a good computer monitor for me. The Vizio 32 inch has too much input lag and who knows about the viewing angle. I'm using a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV and I guess I got spoiled. A 27 inch could be moved 3-5 inches closer and equal the viewing distance of a 32 inch, so I'm thinking about it. It's either that or wait for new products.

#154 ·
Yes, the viewing angle is a slight drawback. I was sitting about 1 metre away on a low sofa (so my eyes where lower than the centre) and I did see some ghosting at the edges. I tilted the monitor as far forward as I could but couldn't get it quite far enough. I have to sit upright in order to get rid of the blurred edges. I don't see it as too much of a problem though. You can always sit closer and more full on if the ghosting bugs you. From where I sat I would say about 80-90% of the screen showed great 3D.....the central area was fine but the edges had some blurring. I'm still just enjoying the 1080p image so much and enjoying all the various 3D content, YT3D clips, 3D Blu-ray and games, that I'm willing to overlook this one small issue.

Incidentally, a neighbour of mine came around for a demo. I showed her the 3D TV sparkling fun demo, amongst other stuff and her reaction was "It's wonderful!!" She's quite elderly and she told me that she had seen 3D in the cinema back in the 50's and liked it but I think she had only seen the anaglyph 3D as she mentioned the red/cyan glasses. Whatever she had seen before, she was very impressed with the new 3D technology.

I installed the Tridef Driver yesterday and it worked a treat. It recognised a couple of my games "Tiger Woods 08" and "Need for Speed Underground" (Yes I know they're ancient but I'm not much of a gamer) and the driver worked straight away. I only tested the Golf but the default setting was perfect with a nice depth down the fairways and good layering of trees and bushes etc. The only bug was that each time the screen cut to the next tee shot, the left and right sides were separated at first and then join immediately to interlaced. It only lasts a milli-second and isn't too distracting. The driver is very similar to the iz3d driver which I tested with the anaglyph output a few months back. Of course the passive 3D looks much better than the anaglyph, but the 3D depth is similar. It also comes with a Tri-Def Media Player which I don't really need. Stereoscopic Player does everything I need for 3D playback.

Gae

#156 ·
The 160 degree would be the 2d vertical viewing angle. I doubt any of these passive 3d sets is any more than 26 degrees like the larger Toshiba's mention in their manual. My LG passive TV is certainly better than 16 degrees but probably not much better than 26 if any. But a tight up & down 3d viewing angle isn't as important as horizontal 2d viewing because, we aren't watching 3d while doing jumping jacks :-D Still a slight bit larger Vert 3d viewing angle by even a few degrees allows you to get closer to the monitor and have a bit more options for monitor placement without getting the crosstalk, because the sweet spot for the eyes covers a larger area.

#157 ·
lol @ the jumping jacks. Yeah, I was thinking having a larger viewing angle would be beneficial when dealing with crosstalk and viewing distance; which is why I mentioned the IPS (although, that turns out to be an expensive solution) monitors in the other thread, and why I asked about the viewing angle on the DM2350 here. So far, it sounds like a darn good Monitor/Tv overall.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDee /forum/post/21375534

lol @ the jumping jacks. Yeah, I was thinking having a larger horizontal viewing angle would be beneficial when dealing with crosstalk and viewing distance; which is why I mentioned the IPS (although, that turns out to be an expensive solution) monitors in the other thread, and why I asked about the viewing angle on the DM2350 here. So far, it sounds like a darn good Monitor/Tv overall.

It is a great Monitor/TV overall for the price.

As it's still unclear how 3D will evolve over the next few years, what with autostereoscopic displays and Holograms on the horizon, at this price, you get excellent passive 3D in the home without breaking the bank. Also, as I already own an LCD TV and a HD projector and only want to watch 3D occasionally, this was the perfect 3D solution for me.

Gae

#159 ·
Thanks Gae, I actually ordered the display yesterday, so hopefully I get one without issue. This display is going to be in my room and will replace my old CRT. I will be sitting about ~53+/- inches or ~1.3+/- meters away from the display and my view will be pretty close to center, so I should be ok when it comes to 3D usage. I'm not worried about the black lines issue since interlaced never really bothered me. By the way, does the display come with a DVI-D cable?

@quisp65 It turns out the viewing angle for the DM2350 is listed as (CR>10) 176/170 degrees, with tilt being 5 - 18. Assuming they mean H/V, it's a bit better than the Acer.

#160 ·
got mine yesterday,really glad i went for this instead although the 2342p has just dropped in price the 2350d is a far better in built quality & in been a PC monitor.

even the remote is a no joke like some the ones you get with cheap tv's its a very good & responsive remote. over all its a great monitor/tv & i'm enjoying the 3D a lot especially in tridef supported games & proper 3D movies. LG has yet to disappoint me.

looking forward to ati's 7th series graphic cards.

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDee /forum/post/21380494

By the way, does the display come with a DVI-D cable?

There's no DVI input on it so no cable. It has two HDMI inputs though. I think it came with just the VGA and Power cables.....no HDMI cables though! Shocking, truly shocking!!

Gae

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 /forum/post/21381844

got mine yesterday,really glad i went for this instead although the 2342p has just dropped in price the 2350d is a far better in built quality & in been a PC monitor.

even the remote is a no joke like some the ones you get with cheap tv's its a very good & responsive remote. over all its a great monitor/tv & i'm enjoying the 3D a lot especially in tridef supported games & proper 3D movies. LG has yet to disappoint me.

looking forward to ati's 7th series graphic cards.

Glad you like it too as905. It is most defintaly a far better build than the D2342p....that is something I noticed immediately. As well as displaying great 3D, I like the onscreen Navigation menu and the remote is as good as any you get with a larger HDTV. In fact a relative of mine has a 42" LG TV and both the remote and Navigation Menu are very similar.

This is the Navigation menu from a different model but it looks very similar......

http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/05/28/lg_42lf7700_6.jpg

Gae

#164 ·
I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about the DM2350 other than what I have read here but Best Buy has it on sale and with gift cards I could get one for around $150.

I already have a Asus active 3-d monitor but have pixels going out so I wouldn't mind replacing it and also having a small passive display for traveling with my PS3.

From what I have read here it sounds like it is pretty good but I have not tried the passive 3-D experience at all let alone with gaming, should I jump on it?

Worst case I guess I could get it and return it if I don't like it with the extended holiday return period.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 /forum/post/21385304

I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about the DM2350 other than what I have read here but Best Buy has it on sale and with gift cards I could get one for around $150.

I already have a Asus active 3-d monitor but have pixels going out so I wouldn't mind replacing it and also having a small passive display for traveling with my PS3.

From what I have read here it sounds like it is pretty good but I have not tried the passive 3-D experience at all let alone with gaming, should I jump on it?

Worst case I guess I could get it and return it if I don't like it with the extended holiday return period.

I guess only you can make that decision Natrix1973.

I don't know what the Asus active 3-d monitor is like but I have gone from active to passive and I prefer the latter. Shutter glasses are expensive to replace and I found that they dropped the brightness considerably...I also never got on with the cables attached to my glasses. I realise that most are now battery powered but people have complained about their running out in the middle of viewing as being a nuisance. With passive the light difference is negligible (I would say about 5-10% darker than the normal screen) and I really like the fact that the glasses are light and cheap to buy. The fact that the RealD glasses work with this monitor too pleases me as it has that connection with the 3D cinema world.

For $150, I would say nab one up immediately. Mine cost twice as much but I'm very happy with it. At the price you can get it, it's a no-brainer really.

Gae

#167 ·
Just tried out the display for about 3 hours and I have to say......

It's a decent display overall, but the 3D effect of passive isn't great at all for gaming . For movies it's fine, for gaming it's not exactly impressive. I may be doing something wrong, but I saw very noticeable double images and the 3D seriously lacked depth. Should I try different passive glasses or maybe I have the wrong settings?

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDee /forum/post/21386780

It's a decent display overall, but the 3D effect of passive isn't great at all for gaming . For movies it's fine, for gaming it's not exactly impressive. I may be doing something wrong, but I saw very noticeable double images and the 3D seriously lacked depth. Should I try different passive glasses or maybe I have the wrong settings?

i disagree the 3D for both gaming & movies (proper HSBS) is magic so yeah you ARE doing something wrong.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDee /forum/post/21386780

does the depth in games seem "weird" apart from the doubling? probably means you have to swap left/right in your stereo3d driver (iz3d,ddd,etc), or adjust the other settings like convergance/separation.

#172 ·
Hmmm...I'm having problems signing in with quotes....odd.

Bill, I don't think you can adjust the 3D on the monitor unless using other software e.g. you can run Stereoscopic Player via your PC and adjust the parallax via that. I've noticed that there is a 3D effect menu on the monitor but it always seems greyed out. I'm not sure what its for..maybe the 2D/3D conversion function?

With regards 3D Blu-Ray I don't think you can adjust the picture other than from your BD player if it has that facility. My player has Zoom function which is handy as I like to have a fuller screen (especially as the screen is only 23")

TreeDee something must be wrong. Are you using the TriDef driver or playing Native 3D games?

Once I installed the driver on my PC, the TriDef Navigation Panel popped up with my Game Icons. I just clicked on Tiger Woods 08 and the game started as usual. The initial screens, menus etc were in 2D but as soon as the game started it switched to 3D. The depth looking down the fairway is great and all the trees and bushes are layered nicely. Something must be wrong in your setup. Can you go through your process so that we might be able to help a bit more?

Loving the 3D on my monitor.

Gae

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill /forum/post/21386702

The 2350, and the LG D2342P, comes with one pair of regular passive glasses and one pair of clip on passive glasses. Score one from me as I wear glasses.

Bill, I wear glasses but I don't like the clip-ons because I can feel the plastic clip-on part on the bridge of my nose. The glasses just fit perfectly over my normal glasses and I don't even notice them.

Gae

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 /forum/post/21388826

@ Gae

i have just sent you a PM please read it & reply asap. cheers

Just replied via PM....

Gae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.