AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung UNXXD5000 Owners' Thread

53K views 170 replies 48 participants last post by  lexus123 
#1 ·
Although Samsung's web site has no information on the new 2011 UNXXD5000 series (still has the 2010 C models), many on-line and brick & mortar retailers have the UN22D5000 available (a call to Samsung said that this series has not been released yet).

Since the new 2011 model is 1080P (1920x1080), which is very rare in a 22" HDTV, I had to buy one.

I was not disappointed......the PQ, both as a TV and PC monitor is awesome. Additionally, although LED edge lite, in a dark room, I had to really look hard to see any effects of bleeding/non-uniformity.

Following are some specifications/features.

Screen Size: 21.5"

Display Type: LED (edge lighting)

Resolution: 1080P (1920x1080 native)

HDMI: 2 (version 1.4)

Component Video (Y/PB/PR): 1

PC Input: 1 VGA

USB 2.0 Ports: 1 (supports videos, music, or pictures)

Component Audio Input: 1

PC Audio Input: 1

Digital Audio Output: 1

Dimensions (WxHxD): 20.6 x 12.7 x 1.2 Inches (20.6 x 14.8 x 5.7 Inches With Stand)

Weight: 7.9 lbs. (8.6 lbs. with stand)

See less See more
#77 ·
Hi to all,

a quick & dirty question :

is it possible to fully disable the backlight auto dimming function in this TV serie ?

I mean a real fixed intensity, regardless the displayed image content.

I'm wondering so because i got several different answers, starting from HDTVTest review that claims that is impossible, while some owners told me the opposite, referring to the "Motion lighting" function, but i have some doubts.

I'm interested to the 40d5000 model, but the auto dim function would be a strong show stopper for me.

Thanks in advance,

Marco.

#78 ·
Hope this helps (copy and paste of some menu settings described in the user manual)

Black Tone (Off / Dark / Darker /Darkest): Select the black level to adjust the screen depth.

Dynamic Contrast (Off / Low / Medium / High): Adjusts the screen contrast.

Motion Lighting (Off / On): Reduces power consumption by reducing screen brightness when the picture on the screen is motionless.

Energy Saving (Off / Low / Medium / High / Picture Off): Lets you adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption.

BTW.......You can download the complete user manual at the Samsung web site.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21254874

BTW.......You can download the complete user manual at the Samsung web site.

Thanks Thiao, already done, but despite having read the whole document, i still remain with the doubt that backlight intensity is not "lockable".

Sure all the menu items that you mentioned are involved in this matter, but i want to be sure to be able to lock the intensity before to procede with the purchase.

Marco.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPerry /forum/post/20886596

Nvm about the stand it was just the screw driver I had was too fat for the screws so it would only tighten it to a certain point.

I can't get two of the screws to go in all the way, only halfway. This is making the whole tv wobbly on the base. Did you just use a smaller screwdriver? This has been a nightmare.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21444441

When turning the screws, there will be a point where you will feel resistance....just keep turming the screws until the stand is securely fastened.

Will the screw need to be all the way in? I'm finding it near impossible to get it more than a little halfway in because of the resistance and it's really difficult to line up the screwdriver because of the back part of the base.

#86 ·
The screws don't bottom, but need to be tightened enough to securely fasten the stand's neck to to the rear panel.

It often takes an additional turn or two, past where they seem tight (unless the screw has been cross threaded).

Easiest to do if you lay the front panel on a soft flat surface and use the right sized screwdriver.

This (e.g. screws difficult to turn before the stand was securely fastened) happened with both of my sets as well as to several others, who previouly posted.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21446529

The screws don't bottom, but need to be tightened enough to securely fasten the stand's neck to to the rear panel.

It often takes an additional turn or two, past where they seem tight (unless the screw has been cross threaded).

Easiest to do if you lay the front panel on a soft flat surface and use the right sized screwdriver.

This (e.g. screws difficult to turn before the stand was securely fastened) happened with both of my sets as well as to several others, who previouly posted.

The screws I'm having problems with are the longer ones which connect the base to the panel which then screws into the back of the tv.

The right and left screws of the 3 that screw down into the base are not going in all the way. I've tried it a few times (screwing, then unscrewing and trying it to make sure threads are correct) and they won't go all the way in. When all is connected to the tv, it's a little too wobbly for my liking.

#88 ·
You must have a larger size set.....the UN22D5000 only uses (2) screws. The stand (e.g. base and neck) are a single integrated piece and only (2) screws are used to attach it to the rear panel.

When these screws seemed fully tightened, the TV wobbled a bit and both screws required further tightening.

With my large Samsung (not a UNxxD5000 series) the base and neck were seperate pieces, which had to be attached with screws before the stand could be fastened to the set.

From what you're describing, it sounds like the screws are bottoming out and the next step would be to call Samsung support.

If all fails and the supplied screws are actually to long, you can use shorter screws (most local hardware stores sell black philips head metric screws).

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21448312

You must have a larger size set.....the UN22D5000 only uses (2) screws. The stand (e.g. base and neck) are a single integrated piece and only (2) screws are used to attach it to the rear panel.

When these screws seemed fully tightened, the TV wobbled a bit and both screws required further tightening.

With my large Samsung (not a UNxxD5000 series) the base and neck were seperate pieces, which had to be attached with screws before the stand could be fastened to the set.

From what you're describing, it sounds like the screws are bottoming out and the next step would be to call Samsung support.

If all fails and the supplied screws are actually to long, you can use shorter screws (most local hardware stores sell black philips head metric screws).

My model is the UN40D5005 and was purchased from Sam's Club. Tonight I went to a store and found one on display. It was not near as wobbly as mine so there's definitely something not tightening and it's those 2 screws. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has this exact model if they had the same problem.

Maybe there would be another thread for the 40"?

#90 ·
Well now I found another issue. There is a slightly dark area in the middle of the screen about the size of a nickel. At first I thought it was just something on the network's camera until I saw the same darkened spot on other channels. It looks more like a vertical smudge, not a circle, but I cleaned off the screen and saw nothing. It's most apparent on light or especially a white picture.

It doesn't really appear to be a dead pixel because there's still light, it's just dimmer.

#91 ·
I'm upgrading from an old school CRT and regular digital cable, so forgive me if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I just bought the 22" D5000. It's hooked up to our HD box via an HDMI cable. When I press the info button, it's showing the screen resolution as 1280x720. I was under the impression this was a full 1080p TV.

I can't seem to find anywhere to change this. Does anyone have any tips/advice/solutions?

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebluestars /forum/post/21493387

I just bought the 22" D5000. It's hooked up to our HD box via an HDMI cable. When I press the info button, it's showing the screen resolution as 1280x720. I was under the impression this was a full 1080p TV.

I can't seem to find anywhere to change this. Does anyone have any tips/advice/solutions?

The 22UND5000 has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels and is 1080P capable. However, 1080P source material is still rare (e.g. B-Ray), most broadcast content is produced in 720P (1280x720) or 1080i (1920x1080).

Your HD box (or provider) was only sending 1280x720 resolution (at least for the program watched at the time). Therefore your set had to down scale from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 resolution.

Check other program channels and your HD box menu to see if it is set to 1080i. If not call your service provider.

Not to long ago a lot of TVs were only 1280x720 capable and you may need a newer HD box (or your provider is behind the technology curve).

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21000883

I was curious as to the difference between the D5000 and D5003 models, besides the lower MSRP on the D5003.

After a quick low at the Samsung site, the D5003 has a lower dynamic range (20,000:1 vs. 3,200,000:1) and less features / connectivity.

For example, PIP (picture in picture), Game Mode, Connect Share, digital audio output are items not mentioned in the D5003 specifications.

Perhaps a D5003 owner can confirm?

Wondering the same thing. Picked up the D5003 from BB tonight for our (small) bedroom and there was much confusion about difference between this model and the 5000. To his credit, one of the guys spent a lot of time trying to help us discern the differences. Besides the cosmetic differences, it appears the 5000 is Energy Star certified while the 5003 is not. The 5003 also has slightly more powerful speakers (which may be why it lost its Energy Star cert.?). Neither TV is 120hz, which is what had us most confused for a while.

There's a surprising dearth of info about the 5003 around, even here on AVS. I guess my best bet is simply to crack it open and try it out. Ultimately, I wanted to go bigger, but wife wanted it to fit on top of the dresser and is wary of trying to mount it on the wall (we live in a 1925 bungalow with plaster walls and mounting things on them can often be a crapshoot).

#95 ·
At the Samsung website both the 22D5000 and 22D5003 are listed and a comparison of the features can be setup there.

The 5003 doesn't have several of the 5000's inputs and outputs including the PC/VGA and audio input, headphone and digital audio outputs, also AnyNet+ feature.

The 5000 lists 3,200,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio and the 5003 lists only 20,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio.

#96 ·
In the UK and considering getting the UE40D5000 (the European version of the UN40D5000) for use primarily as a PC monitor. I've seen a couple of scattered reports of horrific motion blur, can anyone confirm? And is the UE definitely 60hz and not 50hz? Specifically when connected to a PC via HDMI?

Thanks

#97 ·
Hi all. I just got the UN22D5003, plugged it in via hdmi to my hd cable box, and it looks pretty bad. I messed around with calibrations and was able to make it look slightly better, but my current Samsung LN19A650 (720p, 60mhz, 3000:1 contrast) is so much clearer, ( i''ve moved the hdmi cable from 1 set to the other during the same scene of a show to make sure, and the 5003 looks awful in clarity in comparison, so perhaps i have one really obvious setting wrong?

During commericials i've seen words cut off at the edge, by an inch or so (i'm in 16:9). what could i have missed/done wrong? It really sucks, looked nice in the store though, better than all others around it, (well, the 5000 did, they didn't have the 5003 on display), and i see tons of reviews raving about the picture of it so i'm just hoping there's something i've missed.

#98 ·
The 5003 is a version of the 5000 that left out some features, connectivity to provide a lower price point however, the picture quality should be comparable.

First, check your HD STB to be sure its output is now set for 1080 resolution.

If it's set to 720, that could account for the poor PQ and edge cutoff (e.g. scaling). Also make sure your 5003 is not set to any zoom mode.

As noted earlier in the thread, there was a firmware upgrade to improve SD content.

After buying the first UN22D5000 to use as a PC monitor/spare TV (love the PIP feature), based on the PQ, I bought another to use on BR night stand.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21521618

The 5003 is a version of the 5000 that left out some features, connectivity to provide a lower price point however, the picture quality should be comparable.

First, check your HD STB to be sure its output is now set for 1080 resolution.

If it's set to 720, that could account for the poor PQ and edge cutoff (e.g. scaling). Also make sure your 5003 is not set to any zoom mode.

As noted earlier in the thread, there was a firmware upgrade to improve SD content.

After buying the first UN22D5000 to use as a PC monitor/spare TV (love the PIP feature), based on the PQ, I bought another to use on BR night stand.

Hmmm. Well, the TV is showing that *it* is actually set for 720, and my last tv was 720, so it still should be okay with both of them set at 720, right? dunno. Having trouble finding 1080 on the cable box, lol, i'll keep trying, but both set at 720 should be okay i think.

yeah, not set at zoom mode, but funnily enough, it does seem like it's stretched, so i'll try fiddle around with the 720/1080.

#100 ·
Hey guys, got the 40D5003 the other day. Really enjoying the set but wondered if anyone had calibrated gtheirs yet.

Ive done brightness, contrast and colour but not white balance or gamma as i just dont know how too.

Ive noticed it looking a little blue and think having the right settings dialed in might be the fix.

Can anyone help out with some settings please?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.