AVS Forum banner

Official Sharp 60" AQUOS LC-60LE632U Owners Thread

103K views 365 replies 59 participants last post by  DirkBelig 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, new owner of:

Sharp LC-60LE632U right before Thanksgiving... Wooo Woo

Used some of the setting here to calibrate. WOW... Awesome picture!

By the way PS3- BF3 has bad lag in this set.. even with game mode on, its better in game mode but not very smooth. I had to tweak Game mode further to get it to a level where I don't personally notice lag too much... I did experiment with PS3 settings, I did find that if you set the PS3 to output in 720p and uncheck 1080p/i It plays very smooth
... Looks pretty good still even at 720p.. I think I can't tell THE LOWER RESO diff..... but maybe I was just so tired from tweaking set that my eyes fooled me but def.. the lag is pretty much gone.

was going to get the sharp 60" 79U but I went from a 47 LG (freaking awesome CCFL LCD picture and best lag free gaming!) and decided awe man just get an LED and try something diff.

I do need help on my surround sound setup

I have a Sony STR-3000 ES A/V hooked up to Polk Speakers systems: CSi5 center channel + 2 floor standing speakers + 10" sub woofer + 2 surround speakers

Have new comcast HD digital box with optical and hdmi out, sony Blu-ray S570, PS3 slim 160gig

How would you guys hook all this up....?

Note: I hooked up TV via HDMI to Comcast HD box and then that to my Sony receiver via optical. The Sound has weird echo effect.... weird.. Although If I mute the TV it removes the echo.

Am I doing something wrong????

By the way I built a cool entertainment center.. looks very modern, minimalism... and looks awesome with my A/V gear... will post pics later..

and I will post my finding to share with you guys

Any ways I hope you guys enjoy your television, I def. will!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've calibrated mine using some of the settings I've seen here on AVS... its amazing for HD content "WOW", especially for the price... In my opinion!

I just need to get my surround sound 5.1 system fine tuned.. I'm a rookie on the surround stuff..

Dont really know how to set my stuff up besides the very basic setup that its set up like now ... ... If anyone has any suggestions to fine tune my system id be appreciative of the help!

I did build a pretty cool looking entertainment center, Ill post pics maybe tonight West coast time

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex916 /forum/post/21290261

I've calibrated mine using some of the settings I've seen here on AVS... its amazing for HD content "WOW", especially for the price... In my opinion!

I just need to get my surround sound 5.1 system fine tuned.. I'm a rookie on the surround stuff..

Dont really know how to set my stuff up besides the very basic setup that its set up like now ... ... If anyone has any suggestions to fine tune my system id be appreciative of the help!

I did build a pretty cool looking entertainment center, Ill post pics maybe tonight West coast time

Seeing that you do not have any HDMI inputs on that unit, I would hook up the TV box using HDMI direct to the TV, then use optical out from the TV to the Sony unit. Same with the Blu-Ray using HDMI.

#5 ·
Thanks Nuespeed! I wil try that at home after work

Im reading about setting my Polk RTI8's cross over freq...

These are the Polk RTI8 specs

Electrical

Overall Frequency Response 30Hz-27kHz

Lower -3dB Limit 40Hz

Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz

Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power 20-250 w/channel

Efficiency 90 dB

Crossover 2.2kHz, 12dB/Oct Low Pass, 18dB/Octave High Pass

Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts

I have a Polk 10" sub woofer with LFE as well and 2 Polk RTIA book shelfs speakers Im not sure exactly the model and specs for these..

I read something about setting my frequencies 10 higher than the lowest hz or khz the speakers produce..? This is like french to me..LOL

By the way I have my speakers set up as "SMALL" in my sony str-da3000/ 3100 A/V reciver

#6 ·
I'm in the market for one of these beasts! I just missed the Cyber Monday deals for $2k so now I'm in a waiting game. Hoping that they fall in price around Christmas and Superbowl!

#8 ·
I just ordered one tonight at Beast Buy; not being delivered until next Tuesday, so plenty of time to study up. Unfortunately, this appears to be the only thread for the 60" model (70" and 80" versions have long threads) and it's only surround sound talk. Bummer.

#9 ·
I have the 633u model from Costco.

I hook my system as follows:

cable outlet to settop box with coaxial cable

settop box to receiver IN with hdmi

bluray to receiver with hdmi

dvd player to receiver with hdmi

receiver OUT to tv with hdmi

Control everything with Cox remote.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley51 /forum/post/21314650

Hey Realrollo,

Where did you get the settings? My picture is awesome as well, but some scenes looked washed out.

Thanks.

This forum, I think the user is Doughboy99:

"Under PICTURE SETTINGS: AV MODE: USER

OPC: OFF

BACKLIGHT: 0 (STANDARD)

CONTRAST: +30

BRIGHTNESS: 0

COLOR: -4

TINT: +4

SHARPNESS: +4

Under PICTURE SETTINGS ADVANCED

COLOR TEMP: MIDDLE

MOTION ENHANCEMENT: OFF

ACTIVE CONTRAST: ON

GAMMA ADJUSTMENT: +2

FILM MODE: STANDARD

DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION: OFF

All other settings were left at the factory default."

#15 ·
Here are my settings, quite happy with them:

movie mode

opc - off

backlight - +2

contrast - +24

brightness - -2

color - -4

tint - +4

sharpness - +6

Advanced Settings:

Hue - -4,+9,0,-2,-7,1

Saturation - +1,-4,-3,-22,+13,-10

Value - -6,-1.+15,+11,+4,+5

Color Temp - Low

Reblohi - -22,+1,+8,+26,0,+10

Motion Enhance - off

Active contrast - off

Gamma - 0

#19 ·
I took delivery of one two nights ago and using the calibration settings in this thread , am very impressed. I've still got some massaging to do, but I'm very satisfied by what I've seen and have to say that if this is considered to be deficient, I can't imagine what the "really good" sets are like. It's a quantum leap over our old three CRT-based Sony.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21454217

thinking of getting this display but there is no info on it anywhere, i would like to know about this set, performance, issues etc... so im a little scared to order it.

Have you tried Google? Seriously, hit up the customer REVIEWS at Amazon and Best Buy and check the talk on the calibration thread in the post above yours. I think it's a great set for the money. It's not perfect, but for the price, I don't think you'll be hating yourself for buying. If you're worried, buy from a place with a flexible return policy, like Best Buy or Costco.

#22 ·
I picked up my 60LE632 for under $1K and after proper calibration it is an excellent set, nothing at that price point can best it IMHO (and I looked at all the $ competition). I am an avid videophile and as such I am very critical so had this set's calibrated image not impressed me and had it not been gaming capable it would have been returned right away.

-- Update April 2012: Calibrations from 4/20/2012 forward will be done with the combination of a profiled i1Display Pro (D3) colorimeter and i1Pro spectro. This should yield even more accurate results on my display and more calibration offerings in the hope that it helps more of you achieve greater accuracy vs out of the box presets.

-- Update March 2012: On my 632 something has changed regarding Game mode and the only thing I can think of is I must have done my initial Game mode calibration before I updated the firmware on the display. Game mode is no longer as accurate as it was previously, not that it was ever as capable as Movie mode regarding accuracy.

* LINK to my initial GAME MODE settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=147

* LINK to 2nd GAME MODE settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=273 3-28-2012

* LINK to 3rd GAME MODE settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=294 4-23-2012

* LINK to NEW GAME MODE 50 ftL settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=308 NEW 5-7-2012

* LINK to my 6500k/D65 MOVIE MODE 40 ftL settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=247

* LINK to my 6500k/D65 MOVIE MODE 35 ftL settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=261 3-26-2012

* LINK to NEW 6500k/D65 MOVIE MODE 35 ftL settings... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=296 NEW 4-27-2012

* LINK to my LAG tests in MOVIE & GAME modes... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=90

The 60LE632 does not handle 4:4:4 properly so set your Blu Ray players to YCbCr 4:2:2 if they have selectable modes (usually the default AUTO setting will be 4:2:2).

Turn off Deep color as it is not currently used but can cause other issues (no point in having it enabled).

For Cable/SAT you'll probably see less motion issues with Sports if your providers box is sending 720p vs 1080i.

Many with the 70" 632 say these settings work great, some have used them on the 80" 632 but the 80" appears to be a bit different from the 60" and 70" so YMMV.

PLEASE keep in mind these settings are here only to assist you in getting something more in the ballpark of being accurate (6500k/D65) versus the factory presets that we have been given on these 632 series displays. If you get lucky you'll possibly end up being about as accurate as you can get short of buying your own calibration gear or hiring a pro, if not then I hope you'll at least enjoy the settings. My goal here (as I have said over and over
) is to help build a greater appreciation for accuracy and thus see more people take their video quality a bit more serious by either going DIY calibration with proper gear or having an in home professional level calibration done by a certified ISF tech. I know for many the thought of spending several hundred more for a calibration on a relatively inexpensive display is not something they wish to do but as a long time videophile and avid A\\V enthusiast I have to say that in most cases it's worth every penny and the only true way to see your display reach its full potential. There's a bonus to it as well... you'll learn many things along the way as most of the good techs take the time to explain what they are doing and why. If you go the DIY route you'll be required to learn far more but I honestly find it kind of rewarding to know that I am enjoying my own handywork.

NOTE: these displays do not have a properly functioning CMS (Color Management System) so none of them can be calibrated perfect on all aspects (in Movie mode they can get very close).

There also is an issue with RED sat/lum on these sets in Movie mode (that cannot be properly 100% corrected, an outboard CMS unit would be required). It now seems Blue is the main offender in Game mode.

* If skin tones appear too red you can shift Red HUE positive toward Yellow until they look more natural.

These sets require trade-offs here and there and it's a fine balancing act.

Also please feel free to make constructive comments on the calibrations and if I can help you tweak it more to your set (your liking) by making suggestions I will be happy to do so.

Best of luck,

Jason

Reactions: OnlookerDelay
#23 ·
Why Game mode? Doesn't that turn OFF most post-processing and thus degrade the image? Also, why switch the Blu-ray player from 24 Hz to 60 Hz since that eliminates the 1:1 frame rate match of film and thus returns us to the bad old days of 3:2 pulldown and judder? Your advice seems to be, "Turn off all the advancements in video technology and make this modern HDTV behave like an old analog set."

#25 ·
The black levels look good. After setting it up, I came home to my 4-year-old 42" Philips LCD and looked at the grayish matte bars and got sad and that's a decent-looking set.

I have some faint clouds which are only visible during credits with white text on black or when it's switching inputs before the signal comes through. On extremely dark material, like the last Harry Potter movie, their was some minor clouding visible, but the bars remained solid black and there is no flashlighting. My girlfriend thinks I'm nitpicking and for 99% of the time, the clouds aren't visible. Compared to my old set, it's the least of its problems and I'm not going to have a cow over it.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig /forum/post/21454246

Have you tried Google? Seriously, hit up the customer REVIEWS at Amazon and Best Buy and check the talk on the calibration thread in the post above yours. I think it's a great set for the money. It's not perfect, but for the price, I don't think you'll be hating yourself for buying. If you're worried, buy from a place with a flexible return policy, like Best Buy or Costco.

i have read the amazon reviews, however i think most of them are from joe 6 packs and while it does get good reviews i dont rely heavily on them. i worry about clouding and light bleed and flashlighting mostly and that demographic wouldnt know clouding if they saw it and wouldnt care anyway.

i am a plasma guy but im on my 4th plasma in 3 months because all of the manufactures are having issues with plasmas this year that are truly defects.

i am prolly gonna get the 60 632 and try it out, amazon has been great with me so far but if i try to return another display i dont what they will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.