AVS Forum banner
86K views 259 replies 54 participants last post by  bl4ckstarr 
#1 ·
LG D2342P 23" Passive 3D LED LCD Monitor

I've got one on order at the MSRP $349. Due to arrive in a week+-.

Didn't see a thread for this one yet.

The user manual says for 3D HDMI it supports:

Frame packing 1080p 24Hz, 720p 50/60Hz

Side by Side and Top/Bottom 1080p 1080i 720p 50/60Hz

Top/Bottom 1080p 24Hz, 720p and 1080p 50/60Hz

Good entry level price to view 3D without expensive glasses.

I wonder what it will do when plugged into my Sony TD10 3D camcorder.

See less See more
#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill /forum/post/21390248

I mean adjust brightness, contrast,color ETC with the remote when watching 3D. If not, it needs an upgrade. Every previous 3D TV I've had, including LGs, I've been able to.

Bill, I've managed to adjust the above over HDMI mode. I think you might have to stop the 3D Blu-Ray disc first though. I think PC mode works OK though...you have the option of adjusting either the Monitor and/or graphics card video settings of course.

Gae

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21388299

Hmmm...I'm having problems signing in with quotes....odd.

Bill, I don't think you can adjust the 3D on the monitor unless using other software e.g. you can run Stereoscopic Player via your PC and adjust the parallax via that. I've noticed that there is a 3D effect menu on the monitor but it always seems greyed out. I'm not sure what its for..maybe the 2D/3D conversion function?

With regards 3D Blu-Ray I don't think you can adjust the picture other than from your BD player if it has that facility. My player has Zoom function which is handy as I like to have a fuller screen (especially as the screen is only 23")

TreeDee something must be wrong. Are you using the TriDef driver or playing Native 3D games?

Once I installed the driver on my PC, the TriDef Navigation Panel popped up with my Game Icons. I just clicked on Tiger Woods 08 and the game started as usual. The initial screens, menus etc were in 2D but as soon as the game started it switched to 3D. The depth looking down the fairway is great and all the trees and bushes are layered nicely. Something must be wrong in your setup. Can you go through your process so that we might be able to help a bit more?

Loving the 3D on my monitor.

Gae

I'm still trying to sort out the issue myself. I thought it was because I was using an HDMI/DVI-D cable on a DVI to HDMI converter. I'm assuming this is the issue, so I ordered a DVI-D male to male cable and i'm awaiting for that to come in before I try some of the suggestions given on the Tridef forums. I'm also going to use their latest LG auto-stereo drivers. Right now, I'm using the drivers that came with the display.

#179 ·
Got a LG W2363D.

Works fine over dvi, no "motion blur", tried a few movies. However, what I did notice was that the top and bottommost parts of the screen tend to loose their depth, no matter ho well you position your head. same thing happened to me with the zalman. How come no one mentions this?

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21390691

Got a LG W2363D.

Works fine over dvi, no "motion blur", tried a few movies. However, what I did notice was that the top and bottommost parts of the screen tend to loose their depth, no matter ho well you position your head. same thing happened to me with the zalman. How come no one mentions this?

I think because it's a fairly new technology the reviewers haven't learned how there are different specs that are unique and important to mention with passive 3d monitors. I think the 3d vertical viewing angle is important here and significant to a passive monitor. The bottom and top of the screen is at the biggest angle, so it would be the part of the monitor where this is the most effected.

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae /forum/post/21390583

Bill, I've managed to adjust the above over HDMI mode. I think you might have to stop the 3D Blu-Ray disc first though. I think PC mode works OK though...you have the option of adjusting either the Monitor and/or graphics card video settings of course.

Gae

I want to adjust while watching 3D. Changes one makes when out of 3D mode don't seem to carry over.

#182 ·
made a yt3d unboxing vid of the LG D2342 (shot on a Fuji w3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daF6QUOAtso

yay! btw spoilers- the zalman glasses DO work

indeed they seem to give the exact same results (I found no discernible difference ghosting-wise- at first I thought there was but it's just the head position) - the zalman ones do give a slightly more yellowy/warm tint though

I also tried connecting the Fuji to the LG via hdmi- it worked! at first the screen had blue pixels flashing all over the place but I re-plugged it in and everything was fine. Currently I'm using it to watch yt3d clips- very nice

the zalman had very visible lines- here they are visible if you are extreemly close to the screen when wearing glasses (much more so than normal use)- the screen just appears more "grayer" from a distance. the small text still not as legible of course

#183 ·
Forgot to respond to you two the other day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by as905 /forum/post/21386813

i disagree the 3D for both gaming & movies (proper HSBS) is magic so yeah you ARE doing something wrong.

You were right! After changing a few settings and switching plugs, I can now see the same amount of depth I saw when using the active glasses. Although, the plug I used before actually had more available bandwidth then the one I'm using now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriythebest /forum/post/21387999

does the depth in games seem "weird" apart from the doubling? probably means you have to swap left/right in your stereo3d driver (iz3d,ddd,etc), or adjust the other settings like convergance/separation.

It was just that I didn't see much depth at all. I have it sorted out now, so no worries on my end. Thanks for the help.

I'm going to have to take back my initial (albeit 'knee Jerk') reaction to passive. It does seem to be the better method overall, once you get your settings right. The loss of the extra boost in resolution and more freedom with your viewing angles, isn't much of a loss.

#184 ·
Glad you got it sorted it out in the end TreeDee.

With regards the success of 3D, as well as the format and monitor (i.e. passive and LG DM2350D), a lot of the 3D success also has to do with the content and how well it was made. I was just saying to as905 over PM that I have seen both great and weak 3D on this monitor with some content showing evidence of a lot of ghosting, while others hardly having any. I think the original material is just as important as how you view it and what display you use.

Gae

#185 ·
Currently using the 2350 monitor with the HDMI hooked up to my PS3. I can't seem to get the settings right just for this system to minimize crosstalk/ghosting (and to an extent with my PC which is hooked up via DVI). I have my 360 hooked up via VGA and I'm getting next to none but then I'll switch over to my PS3 and get tons. I must be doing something wrong because while I realize crosstalk is inevitable there seems to be an excessive amount present in PS3 games versus 360 games.

I'm currently running the PS3 settings at about: 30% backlight, 60% Contrast, 35% brightness (TV brightness), 70% sharpness, 50% Color, 0 Tint, Medium Color Temp, Dynamic Contrast Off, Dynamic Color Off, Gamma High, Black Level Low, and Film Mode On. I'm using Uncharted 3 as the test game and in it I'm running at 50% 3D intensity and 60% brightness. The PS3 itself is set to believe that it is a 23'' monitor.

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to enjoy the wide array of PS3 titles that support 3D and don't want the mode to just go to waste on Gears of War 3.

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs /forum/post/21416045

Currently using the 2350 monitor with the HDMI hooked up to my PS3. I can't seem to get the settings right just for this system to minimize crosstalk/ghosting (and to an extent with my PC which is hooked up via DVI). I have my 360 hooked up via VGA and I'm getting next to none but then I'll switch over to my PS3 and get tons. I must be doing something wrong because while I realize crosstalk is inevitable there seems to be an excessive amount present in PS3 games versus 360 games.

I'm currently running the PS3 settings at about: 30% backlight, 60% Contrast, 35% brightness (TV brightness), 70% sharpness, 50% Color, 0 Tint, Medium Color Temp, Dynamic Contrast Off, Dynamic Color Off, Gamma High, Black Level Low, and Film Mode On. I'm using Uncharted 3 as the test game and in it I'm running at 50% 3D intensity and 60% brightness. The PS3 itself is set to believe that it is a 23'' monitor.

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to enjoy the wide array of PS3 titles that support 3D and don't want the mode to just go to waste on Gears of War 3.

I have the LG D2342P which has a front panel selectable 3D mode selection in the menu that affects 3D performance quite a bit. Does the 2350 have a similar menu setting?

#187 ·
ok i received my D2342P yesterday thats 1 day after sending the DM2350 back,i'm extremely happy that i managed to get the results i always wanted specially in 3D which now scores 10/10 from me

the connection i'm using is DVI as HDMI is utter useless if you want perfect 3D from PC. i'm also using a great software called power dvd which 3D wont be the same without. i also tilted the screen back a couple of inches & adjusted the chair height.

both 2D & 3D score 10/10 from me & this brilliant little gem from LG scores 8/10 due to the stand,although it's somewhat a weak stand it still gets the job done & overall its a much better screen than the DM2350 (Colours & PC 2D & 3D performance are BETTER).

this thread has helped me a lot so thanks to all who participated in it specially the Thread Starter Richard,Gae & many thanks to AMAZON for top notch customer service.

oh by the way guys the cheap available 3D glasses wont work with these LG monitors even the ones made for the LG 3D TV's you will see ghosting & no clue why LG has not made any 3D glasses available for us to buy from retail shops ?? but the good news is there is exact match made by ZALMAN & the model number is ZM-SG100G if you need more glasses then buy the ZALMAN's before they go out of stock! hope this info is useful to someone

#188 ·

Quote:
oh by the way guys the cheap available 3D glasses wont work with these LG monitors even the ones made for the LG 3D TV's you will see ghosting & no clue why LG has not made any 3D glasses available for us to buy from retail shops ?? but the good news is there is exact match made by ZALMAN & the model number is ZM-SG100G if you need more glasses then buy the ZALMAN's before they go out of stock! hope this info is useful to someone

And as I mentioned via PM, the cheap RealD glasses work too of course.

I've been reading these recent replies about crosstalk (ghosting) with great interest. I too have noticed that the ghosting appears worse over HDMI than VGA quite often. 3D Blu-rays via HDMI and other 3D HDMI sources seems to frequently display a kind of glassy ghosting (especially on distant objects). Also, I get brightness fluctuations while watching 3D Blu-rays via BD player over HDMI. This doesn't happen with anything else only 3D Blu-ray movies.

Of course there is another issue with ghosting with regards the source material. As I have seen great 3D demo material with almost zero ghosting, the deduction is that these monitors using the passive LG 3D Cinema format are capable of producing perfect 3D, when the source material is perfectly done.

Gae

#189 ·
call me nuts but i have decided i no longer going to keep it for few good reasons & these are:

1- its a 60hz screen & as a fps pc gamer i'm used to 120hz gaming,the difference is big for me.

2- 3D gaming is awesome but this half res passive 3D although it works great in call of duty games it looks bad on games like dirt 2 (poor image quality) & the frame per sec is low too.

3- i'm becoming a big fan of 3D movies & passive 3D scan lines do bother me alot.

therefor i have just ordered the samsung 700D which is also a 3D monitor but with active glasses & 120hz panel this way i can enjoy both fast 2D gaming & 3D material. i just hope when it comes its free from defects.

#191 ·
I believe there is two different types of passive glasses. Linear polarized and circular polarized and then it's possible each of those could have lenses swapped so 4 really but I think that's less common. Noticed 1 site in japan had swapped lenses for sale but couldn't find any where else.

If ghosting changes by tilting the glasses it sounds like those are linear polarized. My guess would be all these passive sets should use circular polarized and they probably got mixed up at the factory and ordered a batch of linear polarized material by accident and didn't notice it.

I just bought the Acer 27 inch passive HR274H this week from newegg. Not enough people own it yet to have a discussion thread on it.

You folks with the passive LGs wish you had different display settings for 3d? I just got one saved user settings and wish I had 2 and I wish it switched automatically. But the Acer uses Nvidia's 3d drivers in interleaved and the monitor doesn't even know it's 3d so I doubt they would have the automatic switch but 2 user saved settings would of been nice. As of now I just used the preset "eco mode" for my 2d viewing and switch to a high brightness and high contrast saved user setting for 3d gaming.

Also was looking at your guys manual and I noticed "line interlaced" is in the 3d options. On the Acer SBS, T&B & FP are in the options and "line interlaced" you achieve naturally without enabling it in the menu. I hear you can do that on the LG but what is the advantage of doing the menu of "line interleaved" when it can do it without? Does it add L/R switching? Does it look better than not using the menu? The Acer can only do L/R switching with "line interlaced" with the software/game giving you the 3d.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp65 /forum/post/21455481

I believe there is two different types of passive glasses. Linear polarized and circular polarized and then it's possible each of those could have lenses swapped so 4 really but I think that's less common. Noticed 1 site in japan had swapped lenses for sale but couldn't find any where else.

If ghosting changes by tilting the glasses it sounds like those are linear polarized. My guess would be all these passive sets should use circular polarized and they probably got mixed up at the factory and ordered a batch of linear polarized material by accident and didn't notice it.

I just bought the Acer 27 inch passive HR274H this week from newegg. Not enough people own it yet to have a discussion thread on it.

You folks with the passive LGs wish you had different display settings for 3d? I just got one saved user settings and wish I had 2 and I wish it switched automatically. But the Acer uses Nvidia's 3d drivers in interleaved and the monitor doesn't even know it's 3d so I doubt they would have the automatic switch but 2 user saved settings would of been nice. As of now I just used the preset "eco mode" for my 2d viewing and switch to a high brightness and high contrast saved user setting for 3d gaming.

Also was looking at your guys manual and I noticed "line interlaced" is in the 3d options. On the Acer SBS, T&B & FP are in the options and "line interlaced" you achieve naturally without enabling it in the menu. I hear you can do that on the LG but what is the advantage of doing the menu of "line interleaved" when it can do it without? Does it add L/R switching? Does it look better than not using the menu? The Acer can only do L/R switching with "line interlaced" with the software/game giving you the 3d.

I am using: LG D2342P through the monitor's HDMI input from a DVI to HDMI cable on a nvidia GTX550Ti video card.

For my set up, even with software set to use line interlacing, I see better 3D results when the front panel line interlacing selection is made too. This is easily determined using the LG supplied tridef media player, where the first screen is a still picture 3D image showing long stem roses poking upward and out of the screen in 3D, with a 3D sky that has clouds and depth. I see this improvement with Cyperlink PowerDVD11, "Stereoscopic Player" and with the tridef viewer LG supplied software.

#193 ·
In the other thread, dedicated to DM2350, I posted this:

I did some more research and found this document, that has a very good explanation of 3D glasses technology: http://www.drt3d.com/W05-Polarization.pdf

On page 13 it states: "From our model for circular polarization, it appears that the linear polarization is the first step for creating the circularly polarized light and it should not have any effect. In practice, it is found that ghosting is slightly increased if not using the "Optimum" glasses. Most people will not notice it and a lot of people are using the "free" Real-D glasses with Zalman and Acer screens and are happy!"

My conclusion is this: TN panels for monitors have the linear polarization layer that passes 45 degree polarized light and then the retardation layer converts the light to circular polarization. I suspect that the IPS panels have the first layer that polarizes light either virtically or horizontally (do not know which exactly, but the bottom line - TN and IPS panels probably differ in this respect) - so it is either 0 or 90 degree and then the retardation layer converts the light to circular polarization. The glasses have similar construction, but the first layer that the light goes through is the retardation layer (to "unscrew" the light) and then it goes through the linear polarizer (to "select" the light). The glasses for monitors (ZALMANs that were mentioned before in this thread) have the linear polarizer that passes through the 45 degree polarized light, while LG Cinema 3D and RealD have the linear polarizer layer that passes, let's say, the light that is vertically polarized.

Most probably the retardation layers, both on the panels and the glasses are not perfect and cannot "rotate" all of the light, so some amount of linerly polarized light bleeds through and that is why it is important that the glasses had the linear polarization layer 90 degrees oriented to that one of the monitor's panel, to extinguish the parazite light.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by speresh /forum/post/21457633

In the other thread, dedicated to DM2350, I posted this:

I did some more research and found this document, that has a very good explanation of 3D glasses technology: http://www.drt3d.com/W05-Polarization.pdf

On page 13 it states: "From our model for circular polarization, it appears that the linear polarization is the first step for creating the circularly polarized light and it should not have any effect. In practice, it is found that ghosting is slightly increased if not using the "Optimum" glasses. Most people will not notice it and a lot of people are using the "free" Real-D glasses with Zalman and Acer screens and are happy!"

My conclusion is this: TN panels for monitors have the linear polarization layer that passes 45 degree polarized light and then the retardation layer converts the light to circular polarization. I suspect that the IPS panels have the first layer that polarizes light either virtically or horizontally (do not know which exactly, but the bottom line - TN and IPS panels probably differ in this respect) - so it is either 0 or 90 degree and then the retardation layer converts the light to circular polarization. The glasses have similar construction, but the first layer that the light goes through is the retardation layer (to "unscrew" the light) and then it goes through the linear polarizer (to "select" the light). The glasses for monitors (ZALMANs that were mentioned before in this thread) have the linear polarizer that passes through the 45 degree polarized light, while LG Cinema 3D and RealD have the linear polarizer layer that passes, let's say, the light that is vertically polarized.

Most probably the retardation layers, both on the panels and the glasses are not perfect and cannot "rotate" all of the light, so some amount of linerly polarized light bleeds through and that is why it is important that the glasses had the linear polarization layer 90 degrees oriented to that one of the monitor's panel, to extinguish the parazite light.

Uggh! Thanks for the pdf. Was interesting but made me feel stupid. So you say we stick glasses on and see things in 3d! Got it!

#195 ·
That's all well and good but the technicians at LG seem totally oblivious to this fact (of polarization and differences between 3d monitors such as dm2350 and the regular 3d cinema products) and insist that it is not the glasses which are at fault?? I phoned them twice about my dm2350d and purple ghosting. I explained in detail that it goes when i tilt my head to the left and that others had claimed the same and they said it was nothing at all to do with the glasses

#198 ·
Finally I bought the monitor LG D2542P. As mention by many users, it is better than the previous D2342P monitor. It is not only a problem of size, 25'' vs 23'', but the color are more vivid with deeper black. I am still using PowerDVD11 and display 3D movies by chosing the Line Interlaced mode.

I don't see the purple ghosting mentioned by mirak123. The quality is such that I can use it as un standard 2D monitor instead of my ACER GD245HQ I currently use and considered by many experts as one of the best.

I am very happy withi this new LG monitor!

#199 ·
Hey all! I just bought the LG d2342p-pn monitor as an editing monitor/video production monitor for a feature film I'm about to shoot using the Sony HDR TD10.

We shot some test footage with the TD10 and I brought it home, displayed it on the monitor and it looks great! Unfortunately, when we tried to plug the TD10 directly into the monitor (which we'll be doing during the film), there's only a very very slight 3D effect. Nowhere near what I get at home with the exact same footage (we went into playback mode on the cam).

Could this be the hdmi cable? Does your cable HAVE to be a 1.4? Or are we screwing something up in the settings? We're in HDMI output side by side on the cam and i switched the monitor to side by side.

#200 ·
My PC is connected to my LG 3D monitors (23'' or 25'') through a HDMI 1.4 cable. The PC is the only video source (2D or 3D) I use, with a standard Blu-ray drive and several softwares, PowerDVD11 for movies (see my last post) or Roxio for my camcorder files.

As a matter of fact I own the 3D camcorder FujiFilm 3D W3. With a 1280x720p resolution, probably not as good as yours, the clips are recorded on a 16 GB SD card. I don't use the proposed USB cable; it is much more easy to take off this SD card from the camcorder and introduce it in the card reader of my PC. Then ROXIO 2011 accepts these rather special files (double avi); we have only to specify the kind of video files we want to produce (2D or 3D). When video editing is completed you can choose the output format, SBS for example, and at this point there is no difference with any 3D movies procedure.

I have never tried to directly connect this camcorder to LG monitors. My HDMI 1.4 cable is a standard one, while the FujiFilm camcorder requires a "mini-hdmi connexion". Moreover I don't see the benefit of such procedure since the video editing is in practice necessary (I am a very bad moviemaker).

I hope I could help you

#201 ·
HI guys and girls i have the same issue with the purple ghosting some of you have mentioned but my model is actually a cinema 3dtv DM2780D there is also exaclty the same model number DM2780D which is branded as flatron DM2780D 3D LED monitor tv. please check my twitter page about the issue twitter.com/LeeGoodbody

Also email me if u want more information i have videos and performed many tests which i have sent to LG. Am in talks with lg and dealing with the top people in the company

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.