AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - OTA

1M views 11K replies 1K participants last post by  hitbyambulance 
#1 ·
I've been able to receive Channel 27 (28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 28-4) KBTS, the Bates Community College PBS station since Monday.

Also, I notice KCTS Channel 9 is now multicasting all PBS feeds.

Lastly, Channel 33-1 (32) and a couple of shopping channels from Bellevue must have boosted power because I can get them in Shoreline quite well. They were not receivable prior.

I checked briefly, but didn't find similar post. If redundant, it is as my signature:

#9,356 ·
Hi,

we live in Seward Park, use an antenna connected to the TV, and while FOX has been finnicky for years, we always have been able to get it.

The day we hooked up our Samsung TV all the channels worked fine, but 2 days later we lost connection to channel 13 FOX and haven't been able to get it back. ( except it flickered on for a second today, but went away just as fast)

we've moved the antenna every which way, checked the connection to the Tivo - but nada.

help?

thanks!

Lisa

#9,357 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Halpern /forum/post/21457624

Hi,

we live in Seward Park, use an antenna connected to the TV, and while FOX has been finnicky for years, we always have been able to get it.

The day we hooked up our Samsung TV all the channels worked fine, but 2 days later we lost connection to channel 13 FOX and haven't been able to get it back. ( except it flickered on for a second today, but went away just as fast)

we've moved the antenna every which way, checked the connection to the Tivo - but nada.

help?

thanks!

Lisa

Lisa Halpern

Ch13 comes from the west, Bremerton area, and in most parts of your area Beacon Hill blocks the signal.

What's your nearest cross streets and I'll check it out further.

Also, Ch13 is available on ch22-2, in standard definition, which should come in okay in your area.

Dan

#9,359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiotte /forum/post/21464681

no planned sub channels at this time for KSTW.

(single channel...more bits...higher quality)

Ron D.

CE, KSTW

Kudos! I hate sub-channels and like the fact that you are sticking with the higher quality.

#9,360 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiotte /forum/post/21464681

no planned sub channels at this time for KSTW.

(single channel...more bits...higher quality)

Ron D.

CE, KSTW

RabbitEars.info data from November indicates that KSTW allocates about 12 megs to the primary channel, while about 7 megs are unused and allocated to null packets. Those 7 megs are enough to drive two sub-channels without affecting the quality of the main channel, or be added back to the primary channel.

#9,362 ·
Read carefully. 12 Mbps, and it's variable bitrate. Since I do not know the full range, I can only list the snapshot bitrate that I have. Most CBS O&O stations allow the variable bitrate range to top out at 17 or 18 Mbps.

- Trip

#9,364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/21489946

Read carefully. 12 Mbps, and it's variable bitrate. Since I do not know the full range, I can only list the snapshot bitrate that I have. Most CBS O&O stations allow the variable bitrate range to top out at 17 or 18 Mbps.

- Trip

I knew you'd bring up that logic about variable bitrates.

Seattle/Tacoma/Everett viewers should hold out for an 11.2 sub-channel titled "Cartoon Special" as a tribute to Bill McLain and Warren Reed's Crazy Donkey. Think 24/7 Looney Tunes seperated by shots of model trains.

#9,365 ·
I have been evaluating the performance of the Mohu Leaf indoor antenna at two different locations - one being my parents' home in north Burien and the other being my condo in SeaTac.

My initial impressions are fairly positive. This antenna cannot miraculously bring reception to a dead spot, but it does seem to be fairly good at rejecting aviation-related interference and at maintaining a stable signal on strong stations. I don't fully understand why, but this seems to perform somewhat better than the Silver Sensor and several other indoor antennas I have used.

The Mohu Leaf is tuned for UHF reception. At my condo, I was in fact able to obtain very decent stable reception on KCTS RF9 and KSTW RF11, and with considerable moving around I got some reception on KCPQ RF 13, but it generally did better with UHF stations.

Like any indoor antenna, placement is crucial and moving it by a few inches can make a big difference.

After a couple more weeks of user experience, I'll share more thoughts on this unit. If anyone else has used a Mohu Leaf locally, I'd be interested as to your reception results.

#9,366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 /forum/post/21489961

Well, I"ve seen other stations using 1080i and sub-channels and don't see much of difference in picture quality... Even if there was a slight degredation in PQ, I'd take the trade-off to get two free sub-channels to watch. heh.

My 73-year-old eyes (with glaucoma) can't tell much difference either, but there isn't a lot of decent programming left to fill any new subchannels (for example, 5.2 after Universal Sports went away).

I wish there were some standardization among the various subchannels (e.g., aspect ratio and pillarboxing). My Vizio doesn't handle format changes very well (although if I use the AM21 OTA tuner with my Directv receiver I can adjust for that).

#9,367 ·
Quick tip of the hat to local stations KCPQ, KIRO, KING and KOMO for comprehensive coverage of the severe winter storm that has affected the Seattle area.

As usual, KWPX offered no storm-related coverage. Their only token gesture of "local content" is a low-buck public affairs program called "NW Focus" that was filmed a couple of years ago. Very lame compared to what other full-power stations are offering for their local communities.

As a side note, did any of you experience reception problems during the storm?

#9,368 ·
Fixed my VHF issues by adding the $20 C2V kit to my DB4e and using the supplied hardware and existing holes:

My TV now reports 52 DTV channels (including subs) in Kirkland WA with a fair number of very tall trees around. Fox on ch.13 is now rock stable at 100% signal strengh.

#9,374 ·
@ DanKurts,

You know my location and I am intrigued by the DB4e with the VHF stick Leszek1 shared above. (thanks!)

I have an old-style 4221 on one system that 'almost captures' KSTW and KCTS and if this antenna could replace my 'cut-to-9' Yagi, it would simplify my antenna switching here. Do you have any thoughts/experience with it?
Thanks in advance,

Jim

#9,375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle /forum/post/21573265

@ DanKurts,

You know my location and I am intrigued by the DB4e with the VHF stick Leszek1 shared above. (thanks!)

I have an old-style 4221 on one system that 'almost captures' KSTW and KCTS and if this antenna could replace my 'cut-to-9' Yagi, it would simplify my antenna switching here. Do you have any thoughts/experience with it?
Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim

Haven't seen this one, but have installed some of these. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FWgaQgodii2itw

Similar in idea. It worked okay, better than I thought it would. About 60% to 80% of the gain of a CM4221 in UHF. Not great on VHF, more narrow in reception off axis for both VHF/UHF. Works great close in, like Ballard, if there's not many trees to deal with. I keep one in stock just for those special requirement jobs close in. Not sure how well it would do where you are, but I would use it over the one you are looking at. Has more VHF elements, and smaller in overall size.

Don't throw away your present setup, though!

Dan

#9,376 ·
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR that is falling apart and poles are breaking off.

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103087

I not too happy with it.... It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator as well.

I'm willing to spend on something good and amp (if needed).

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD?

On a side note, can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio once I switch?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Station Map Attached.

#9,377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaos /forum/post/21579847

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR that is falling apart and poles are breaking off.

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103087

I not too happy with it.... It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator as well.

I'm willing to spend on something good and amp (if needed).

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD?

On a side note, can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio once I switch?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Station Map Attached.

SirChaos

Whats your nearest cross streets?

Dan

#9,379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaos /forum/post/21589979

136th and 51st in Marysville

SirChaos

You're in the shadow of the hill by Boeing, about 35 miles from Seattle.

About a mile and a half the hilltop is in your way. Not a good thing.

If you're going to put something up, get a big one and a preamp. Try the HBU55 by Antennacraft. RatShack carries them. Use a Channelmaster 7777 preamp. Point it roughly 195 degrees, just west of due south. If it doesn't pan out, you can return it. For FM, use a separate antenna, like the Antennacraft FM6. Point it basically just east of due south and see what happens. You shouldn't need any preamp. Run a separate cable for it. Don't try and mix it with the other antenna. Put the big antenna on the rotor, and the FM mounted elsewhere, at least 5ft away, on a fixed mount. Trying to put both on the same mast above the rotor will put a lot of load on it, and they can interfere with each other.

95% of FM comes from Tiger Mt, just east of Issaquah, and from a high elevation. Direction is not really that critical. Your ears will tell you if when it's right.

Let us know what happens.

Dan

#9,380 ·
Rearanged my antenna. Now I'm picking up MeTV (12.1) and CoolTV (12.2) in addition to everything else. The antenna is pointed straight north. All the stations except physical 35 virtual 12.x are picked up by the rear of the antenna via the two lobes on the left and right on the gain graph: