AVS Forum banner

Help a confused new guy: how do I get DTS/Dolby from HDMI?

18K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  renethx 
#1 ·
I picked up my first HDMI-capable receiver this week on sale, a Pioneer VSX-521-K which I'm pretty damn happy with. The sound quality is leaps above my previous receiver.

However, the problem I'm facing is with my HTPC; an ASRock Ion 330HT . It's connected to the receiver via HDMI but I can't seem to get it to send DTS or Dolby sound. I'm new to the whole HDMI game as I've always used S/PDIF Optical in the past. What do I need to do to get decent surround out of my HTPC?

I'm using MKV files with DTS audio through Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Checking the HDMI audio device's configuration in Windows does not present me with DTS or other surround options. I've updated the Ion/Nvidia drivers and the Realtek sound card's as well. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

I did try and search both the forums and Google but I couldn't really find anything relevant for a new guy.

#28 ·
So I've kept on Googlin' and here's what I could find. I've no previous experience in the whole audio realm, so please correct me if this makes no sense as I'll try to put it down as best as I can understand the jargon.

The ION33HT does not provide bitstream audio via HDMI, only PCM. This explains why Windows provides 7.1 sound without the DTS or Dolby Digital decoding signals (see previous screenshot).

If my understanding is correct, what the player is doing is taking the DTS audio from my movie and converting that signal to 5.1 and then sending that to the receiver. Since the receiver is set to 'direct', it does not remix the audio and simply sends the signals to the appropriate speaker as directed by the PC.

Does that make sense? Is it safe to assume that I'm still getting DTS quality level of surround sound mixing? I mean it sounds fine to me as a non-audiophile, but I'm still wondering if I'm not missing out on something.

#29 ·
That would be very strange. I thought all HDMI audio supported DD/DTS. Do DD sources work?

And yes, what's happening is that your player is decoding the signal on the computer and sending the multichannel audio to your receiver. You aren't losing any audio quality, especially if you're using the direct mode on the receiver.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21471353

That would be very strange. I thought all HDMI audio supported DD/DTS. Do DD sources work?

And yes, what's happening is that your player is decoding the signal on the computer and sending the multichannel audio to your receiver. You aren't losing any audio quality, especially if you're using the direct mode on the receiver.

Both Dolby Digital and DTS aren't being sent to the receiver as far as I can tell. At least, my receiver's indicators aren't lighting up which prompted me to start looking in the first place.

I just can't figure it out. I'm starting to assume that the PC simply doesn't do 'em via HDMI, only via optical/SPDIF.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfrog /forum/post/21471417

Both Dolby Digital and DTS aren't being sent to the receiver as far as I can tell. At least, my receiver's indicators aren't lighting up which prompted me to start looking in the first place.

I just can't figure it out. I'm starting to assume that the PC simply doesn't do 'em via HDMI, only via optical/SPDIF.

Your HDMI audio card won't output the DD or DTS but it will pass 7.1 channels which will sound fine. It's better that your amp does the processing anyway.

#32 ·
It sounds like you're getting 7.1 channels of LPCM audio just fine over HDMI, so Windows is doing the DTS-HD and Dolby Digital HD decoding. The only thing you're missing here is a fancy light on your new receiver telling you it's doing the decoding. Let windows do it, there's no difference.

#33 ·
Install LAV Filters:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

Select installer file and install it.

Unselect all the internal filters in MPC-HC, select Lav Filters and set them to "preferred" individually under external filters option.

Click on LavAudio Decoder and configure it as:

For more details, see my threads:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152520

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1376533

btw, you don't need to select ReClock for bitstreaming.

EDIT: If above recibe doesn't work with your HW, you should use SPDIF output with the same configuration. (For SD audio bitstreaming, you don't need HDMI at all.)

_ _ _ _

#34 ·
I sent an e-mail to ASRock support and they provided me with an answer a few days later. As it turns out, the unit simply doesn't support DTS via HDMI - only via optical. Guess I'll be looking into getting that working with my receiver now!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it!

[Just providing an answer here in case someone stumbles onto this thread via Google or some other search engine]

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfrog /forum/post/21481002

I sent an e-mail to ASRock support and they provided me with an answer a few days later. As it turns out, the unit simply doesn't support DTS via HDMI - only via optical. Guess I'll be looking into getting that working with my receiver now!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it!

[Just providing an answer here in case someone stumbles onto this thread via Google or some other search engine]

I'd still listen to the multichannel sound you can get out of the HDMI and compare to the optical. It may be better.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21481198

Normally, I'd agree, but DTS is a lossy format. The sound quality should be identical whether he has his computer decode it or his receiver decode it.

See, this is why I love this place. I basically announce the thread as 'closed' and you're still providing useful information!

I think I understand what you're saying regarding DTS. Since it's a lossy format to begin with, you're saying that it doesn't matter if I'm sending the signal to the receiver directly and it decodes it rather than letting the PC decode the DTS and converting it into multichannel (or is it PCM?), right?

My speakers are definitely nowhere close to picking up that kind of a difference in terms of loss. I'm really only concerned that I'm getting the proper surround (e.g., sounds that should be coming from the back speakers are being produced as expected)

#38 ·
Right. If it was DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, then you would want the computer to decode it first and send multi-channel PCM to the receiver (unless your PC could send those over HDMI and your receiver could decode them).

But since it's regular DTS/DD, the audio in the multi-channel PCM will be identical to the audio encoded in DTS/DD.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21481249

Right. If it was DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, then you would want the computer to decode it first and send multi-channel PCM to the receiver (unless your PC could send those over HDMI and your receiver could decode them).

But since it's regular DTS/DD, the audio in the multi-channel PCM will be identical to the audio encoded in DTS/DD.

Gotcha. So I can freely use HDMI or Optical; the only difference is where the decoding takes place then. This is some great information - many thanks! I'm starting to understand all of this.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21481249

Just so I'm clear, when I play blu rays with PowerDVD I use the non-decoded audio option which I assume passes the audio direct to the amp where it is decoded. If so, what's happening in steelfrog's situation where the HDMI card is not outputting DTS or Dolby?

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsid /forum/post/21481402

Just so I'm clear, when I play blu rays with PowerDVD I use the non-decoded audio option which I assume passes the audio direct to the amp where it is decoded. If so, what's happening in steelfrog's situation where the HDMI card is not outputting DTS or Dolby?

Right, that option causes PowerDVD to simply pass the bitstream out to your receiver.

In steelfrog's case, the HDMI port didn't support bitstreaming DTS, so his only options were to decode it on the computer and pass multi-channel PCM through HDMI, or bitstream through the optical output.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/21481483

Right, that option causes PowerDVD to simply pass the bitstream out to your receiver.

In steelfrog's case, the HDMI port didn't support bitstreaming DTS, so his only options were to decode it on the computer and pass multi-channel PCM through HDMI, or bitstream through the optical output.

Can't he bitstream as non DTS though?

#44 ·
ac3filter full and media player classic worked for me. in ac3filter on the 'Main' tab under "Output Format" i selected "Do not change" and checked the "use spdif" box, even though i'm using hdmi. now 2-channel audio stays 2-channel & hd audio (including DTS) plays in hd

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siovhan  /t/1385295/help-a-confused-new-guy-how-do-i-get-dts-dolby-from-hdmi/30#post_23197779

ac3filter full and media player classic worked for me. in ac3filter on the 'Main' tab under "Output Format" i selected "Do not change" and checked the "use spdif" box, even though i'm using hdmi. now 2-channel audio stays 2-channel & hd audio (including DTS) plays in hd
Does it passthrough true DD and DTS, or is it converted to LPCM?

#46 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I do have a similar issue.

I recently formatted my Windows 7 partition and now that I got everything up and running again, there's one thing that still doesn't work. The DTS 5.1 audio to my receiver.

I've been playing with this since forever and would appreciate some help if possible.

First of all, before I formatted the partition, I'd get DTS 5.1 just fine for my .mkv movies. All movies/shows that I have are in 5.1. My connection is a straight HDMI cable (no S/PDIF) for audio and video that goes from my Sony Vaio laptop into my receiver. Again, this always worked fine before, nothing has changed here.

All I get from my receiver's display (LG) is a PCM 2.00 instead of DTS 5.1. I was able to get all 5 speakers working simultaneously but only in 2.0, the audio signal was not split into 5.1. The receiver's display even says so (PCM 2.00).

What I've tried so far:

-updated audio drivers from Sony's website for Win7;

-installed the latest K-lite pack and messed around with the ffdshow codec settings (Output - Passthrough/HDMI checkboxes checked, not checked: DTS, AC3, etc;

-still under ffdshow, I went to 'Mixer' and changed the tab to 'same as input' (I believe that's how I got it working in the past) but still no luck, I also tried 5.1 there;

-then, I installed AC3 filter, applied the filter to External Filters tab in MPC-HC and set it as preferred. Under ac3 config, I tried all the combinations possible. S/PDIF checked (I get no audio at all when checked, not even 2.0), not checked; setting audio to 5.1 or none or 2.0, etc. Modified that on both 'Main' and 'S/PDIF' tabs. In fact, if I change one tab, the other one automatically changes to the same settings. I thought I could set them separately. Don't know if that's an issue or what.

This issue has been bugging me for the last 4 days at least and it's driving me crazy!! I think it should be working by now.

Can't think of anything else to do right now. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate.

Please let me know If more info is required and I'll post here what's needed.

Thank you.

#47 ·
I recommend:

- Uninstall all codecs and MPC-HC.

- Download the latest version of LAV Filters (the only filter set you will need [initially]) and MPC-HC (with "Rest settings").

- Start MPC-HC and open "Options". In Internal Filters, uncheck "Matroska" and "DTS" (to avoid using internal codecs for them). In External Filters, add LAV Video/Audio Decoders and set them Preferred.

- Run LAV Audio Decoder configuration and make sure to check "DTS" bitstreaming.

#48 ·
Thanks for the info. Followed all the steps, but still no luck. I also tried AC3 auddio files and nothing either. Still outputs PCM 2.0 Do you think there might be an issue with my audio driver? Just wondering..

Here's the media info for one of my files:

General

Complete name : J:\HD Movies\The Hobbit\the.h.0bbit.an.unexpected.j.0urney.2012.1080p.bluray.x264-sparks.mkv

Format : Matroska

Format version : Version 2

File size : 13.1 GiB

Duration : 2h 49mn

Overall bit rate : 11.1 Mbps

Writing application : mkvmerge v4.1.1 ('Bouncin' Back') built on Jul 3 2010 22:54:08

Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0

Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames

Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate : 9 559 Kbps

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 800 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.260

Stream size : 11.1 GiB (84%)

Writing library : x264 core 129 r2245 bc13772

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=9559 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Language : English

Default : Yes

Forced : No

Audio

ID : 2

Format : DTS

Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems

Mode : 16

Format settings, Endianness : Big

Codec ID : A_DTS

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth : 24 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Stream size : 1.79 GiB (14%)

Title : English

Default : Yes

Text

ID : 3

Format : UTF-8

Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8

Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

Default : No

#49 ·
Check Properties > Supported Formats of your sound playback device. You should see "DTS" in Encoded Formats. Otherwise there may be an EDID problem.

The screeshot below is my PC monitor's built-in speakers (LG D2342P). As this support only stereo PCM, there is no entry in Encoded Formats.

#50 ·
Thanks for the fast response renethx. You are right, I don't see DTS there. "No compress formats found" it shows.

But I don't get it, even though the icon is a tv, These are the settings for the receiver, right?

Can I fix this EDID problem by installing new driverson my laptop? I wouldn't even know which ones I need... I get them from Sony Vaio's UK website, model VGN-FW41M under Windows 7 downloads.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW41M_H/updates
1.jpg 51k .jpg file
2.jpg 52k .jpg file

Thanks.

Attachments

#51 ·
Your screenshots indicate that the proper HD audio driver is not installed, your device is working only under Microsoft's generic HD audio driver, perhaps that's the cause of the problem.

VGN-FW41M uses ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, right? Then you have to install AMD HDMI audio driver. "Audio Driver (Realtek) 6.0.1.5886" looks like the correct driver (Realtek provided AMD/ATI with audio technology). If this does not work, try to dowload AMD display driver from the AMD website (that includes HDMI audio driver, unlike "7UPG_Graphics Driver (ATI)_64").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.