AVS Forum banner

Any good CCFL TVs still out there?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  balasis 
#1 ·
My LG 47LH55 recently crapped out an entire line of resolution, so I've begun researching a replacement. It seems to be that every edge-lit LED has an issue with "flashlighting/clouding"... While I'm not sure how big of an issue this would really be in a lit living room with SD/HD cable 95% of the time, I just know that if I notice it, I will ALWAYS notice it. This leads me to want to stay with a CCFL like my LG. This was the a great tv for my living room, but I'm pretty pissed with LG as the set's barely over 2 years old so I wont be buying another LG for a while... I don't really want to spend more then $1200, and I can fit up to a 55" CCFL (got about 53" wide space). The Sony KDL-55BX520 seems like the obvious choice, but I cant find ANYTHING on this tv other then the 8 post "official" thread here on AVS. I know Sony is overpriced on name alone which has me considering the Toshiba 55g310u, but the Amazon reviews scare me a bit. Anyone have any recommendations?

#3 ·
Yes there are still some CCFLs with a good picture. I had a Samsung LN46D630 for a little while and appreciated the quality and great picture. However you will not find a Samsung CCFL for sale in stores that has internet features. Also, 46 is the biggest I can find. I have the 55" Samsung LED and if I could get the CCFL in 52-55 I would jump on it. Led is cool and thin but there are so many issues like you said. Fortunately my set has minimal flashlighting and a great picture. But at extreme angles it looks like ****. The farther away the set is from your eyes and the more centered you can be you will never notice quality degradation. With CCFL I hardly notice this issue.

I saw last night at wal mart that vizio had an internet feature CCFL. I am not sure of vizio's quality so I cannot suggest it. Maybe someone else can vouge for them?

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I don't want to spend extra for LED and it has issues while full array LED is probably way out of my range. I have to get an LCD as the room has one wall of sliding doors that always caused us to close the blinds with our old DLP. I'm looking at the Sharp LC60E79U or 69U as they are around $1,000.

#6 ·
Jay 1:

If you haven't pulled the trigger on a TV yet, I'd recommend that you give the Toshiba 310U series a good,long look. Last January, I bought a Toshiba 46" 300u3 for use as my primary set for around $600. Its color rendition is perfect, black levels are as good as anything I've seen short of a local-dimming lcd or plasma and, so far, it's glitch free.

I'm assuming the 310U series is a virtual clone of my 300U(not always a safe assumption). I believe it's available in 37, 46 and 55" screen sizes and has some level of internet connectivity(I think).

Admittedly, I'm favorably biased toward the Toshiba brand. I have a 32" Toshiba lcd used as a computer monitor and a 37" 200U in the family room, both purchased last year. Both of them have performed at the game high level as my 300U3. Down in the basement rec room, there's a twenty-two year old Toshiba 32" CRT that's still putting out an acceptable SD picture. Maybe I've been lucky...or maybe Toshiba is a too-often-overlooked but very good brand.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/21481686

Jay 1:

If you haven't pulled the trigger on a TV yet, I'd recommend that you give the Toshiba 310U series a good,long look. Last January, I bought a Toshiba 46" 300u3 for use as my primary set for around $600. Its color rendition is perfect, black levels are as good as anything I've seen short of a local-dimming lcd or plasma and, so far, it's glitch free.

I'm assuming the 310U series is a virtual clone of my 300U(not always a safe assumption). I believe it's available in 37, 46 and 55" screen sizes and has some level of internet connectivity(I think).

Admittedly, I'm favorably biased toward the Toshiba brand. I have a 32" Toshiba lcd used as a computer monitor and a 37" 200U in the family room, both purchased last year. Both of them have performed at the game high level as my 300U3. Down in the basement rec room, there's a twenty-two year old Toshiba 32" CRT that's still putting out an acceptable SD picture. Maybe I've been lucky...or maybe Toshiba is a too-often-overlooked but very good brand.

Thanks for the input! The 55g310u was my original front runner, but I got a little scared by all the dud Amazon reviews. I guess if picking up from my local Best Buy that shouldn't really be an issue though. From reviews this tv seems to have great PQ, but gets dismissed for its looks and lack of cool features.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBel /forum/post/21482904

You could always get the Sharp LC60E79U, it's a great value for a 60" CCFL: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...41541&st=sharp

At times the price dips to $899, it was $799 for Black Friday, what a steal. You can usually find a printable BB coupon for 10% off too.

Lots of great user reviews on it, I have always found that evey time I get a set I wish I woulda gone bigger.

That set's about 3" wider then I can fit. 55" is my limit for CCFL.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/21468891

Should I really be considering the LG 55LK520?

The 55LK520 represents a very good by, a very capable and wide menu of settings for excellent picture quality. And as you've noted . . . CCFL back light which supplies, I believe the most uniform panel lighting which is important on a large LCD. Now black levels may not be what you see on a local dimable LED, but in every other area it will be superb.

Also, for everyone reading, most people find internet streaming apps are best left to an easily and more cheaply replaced external device such as a Blu-ray player, Roku, etc. Plus, when said device is connected via an HDMI input, the full array of video settings is available, rather than a limited preset menu that is all that can be used if using internal apps.

#15 ·
If you can still find one, the Samsung LNXXB750 has a great picture IMO! I have this set in a 46" that I recently put in my Masterbedroom because I replaced it with a UN55D8000. I have to say that this TV is used mostly at night and being in the dark room now, this TV looks incredible! I tweaked around and I have to say that the picture comes pretty close to my UN55D8000! Again I would recommend it if you could find one!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/21484371

The 55LK520 represents a very good by, a very capable and wide menu of settings for excellent picture quality. And as you've noted . . . CCFL back light which supplies, I believe the most uniform panel lighting which is important on a large LCD. Now black levels may not be what you see on a local dimable LED, but in every other area it will be superb.

Also, for everyone reading, most people find internet streaming apps are best left to an easily and more cheaply replaced external device such as a Blu-ray player, Roku, etc. Plus, when said device is connected via an HDMI input, the full array of video settings is available, rather than a limited preset menu that is all that can be used if using internal apps.

I'm so torn on the LG! The fact that I would have to pay $300 more then the Tosh 55g310 isn't even a factor. I just want the best PQ in a living room, and reliability. Seems like all the sets in this category are going to be cheaper made, but the Tosh has some really bad feedback on quality... Ughh, I'm going to Best Buy next Wednesday and buying a tv, still undecided

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/21485541

I'm so torn on the LG! The fact that I would have to pay $300 more then the Tosh 55g310 isn't even a factor. I just want the best PQ in a living room, and reliability. Seems like all the sets in this category are going to be cheaper made, but the Tosh has some really bad feedback on quality... Ughh, I'm going to Best Buy next Wednesday and buying a tv, still undecided

I think most of us on this Forum feel that Toshiba has slipped from a lower first tier brand to an upper second tier brand. I would be very apprehensive about spending my hard-earned cash on a Toshiba. I have a Toshiba laptop/notebook computer, but I don't think I could talk myself into a Toshiba TV with other options available.

If you were in the market for a 46", the best bet by far would be the Samsung LN46D630, but that's the largest CCFL Samsung makes. So, with all of its pros & cons, the LG is probably the best alternative. In a 60hz, there's also the Sony BX420 which is a CCFL as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.