AVS Forum banner
844K views 6K replies 635 participants last post by  Kelson 
#1 ·
#1,129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 /forum/post/21475207

That was definitely the case on OLD power-line standards.

Later HomePlug standards drastically reduced this issue, because HomePlug-AV relies more on the NEUTRAL conductor, which is shared throughout your whole house.

I have three Homeplug devices in my net. One is on the same phase as the "Master," the other is on the other phase. The one on the opposite phase is SLOWER, but not by any significant amount. The same-phase one gets about 130 megabits per second, the other gets about 90.

Unfortunately it does vary so much depending on the house wiring. I have a pair of Netgear AV500 adapters connecting my media center on the first floor with my main network on the second floor where the server and NAS units are. They are on different legs. I've never gotten around to measuring the actual transfer speed, but it is not high enough to stream a high bitrate (40 Mbps) BluRay.m2ts over SMB/CIFS. Trying to do so stutters badly. I have to use DLNA protocol which works perfectly (little error checking so less overhead).

#1,131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 /forum/post/21475600

Yes, variance in ANY location is normal.. I was just saying that the old rule of "It won't work on different legs" no longer applies on newer devices (newer being like in the last 5-6 years.)

Oh, I agree completely with that statement, obviously since I do it. I was just providing counter-point to your experience of getting 90Mbps across two legs. I wish that were my case, it would simplify things.

#1,134 ·
Excuse me...

I'm downloading right now the latest firmware via my mobile network sharing, but I notice some slowness. I think it is better to download it and install it directly from my PC via USB. What does it happen if I stop the download, such as turning off the player?

Thank you.

#1,135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecLinE /forum/post/21476908

Excuse me...

I'm downloading right now the latest firmware via my mobile network sharing, but I notice some slowness. I think it is better to download it and install it directly from my PC via USB. What does it happen if I stop the download, such as turning off the player?

Thank you.

Turning off the unit while it's updating could make the unit unusable. Let it finish.

#1,139 ·
does anybody know if wdtv is gonna include a stretch 4:3 to 16:9 update any time soon? if they do include then they got another unit sale.my brother wont buy one till they include an update.the time he borrowed it he said that pressing the stretch button on the tv remote(samsung plasma) going back and forth really sucked lol

#1,140 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 /forum/post/21478774

If you don't have any problems, don't worry about it.

If I have issues after a firmware update, I'll often do a "Reset except online services..."

thank you! loving the ios remote by the way. way handy, although the trade-off is i find myself looking to down at the iphone to make sure i'm hitting the right buttons. still very nice add-on.

#1,141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsfreak /forum/post/21479172

does anybody know if wdtv is gonna include a stretch 4:3 to 16:9 update any time soon? if they do include then they got another unit sale.my brother wont buy one till they include an update.the time he borrowed it he said that pressing the stretch button on the tv remote(samsung plasma) going back and forth really sucked lol

No one here knows, but I doubt it'd be any easier to engage it than a button on the TV remote! Sheesh!

#1,142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac /forum/post/21478717

Do I really need to reset to factory defaults to upgrade to the newest firmware?

Numerous posters over at WD community forums have mentioned that after resetting to factory defaults some weird behaviour present after an update had vanished. Doing a reset prior updating has so far spared me any of those problems mentioned. YMMV.

#1,143 ·
Has anyone setup multiple WD TV's connecting to the same NAS? I searched the thread and someone mentioned it being an issue with the meta data files or something. I want to get a Live Hub to just store movies and avoid possible lag over the network and everything else on my Synology DS212 NAS. Currently I just have a live SMP and everything works fine, I sometimes (very rarely) get some choppiness on 1080P movies with bit rate of 20Mbps+ even with a 1GB connection so I want to replace that with a Live Hub and use the SMP upstairs over wifi for tv shows which are never a problem.

#1,144 ·
I had connected 2 WD TV Live SMP players on the same network. The 1st unit has the USB attached drive. The 2nd unit gets the contents through the 1st unit using SMB sharing. That seems to work fine.

But I notice one behavior. You can have the genre sorting (using the green icon/button) on the 1st unit. But this feature is not available for the 2nd unit (the green icon is not visible on the screen).

#1,145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n /forum/post/21482206

But I notice one behavior. You can have the genre sorting (using the green icon/button) on the 1st unit. But this feature is not available for the 2nd unit (the green icon is not visible on the screen).

You need to add the "Serving" WD to the Media Library manager, and then change the content source on the "Using" WD to "My Media Library."

#1,146 ·
OK named my file up for a TV show format e.g. Series.Name.S01E01.mkv but searching on the Get Content Info option does not find it. Looking at the search box options it seems to be using TMDB rather than TVDB When I go down to the "Cog" setting icon at the bottom of the screen it is only showing the TMDB as a selectable source option?

Am I missing a step here to get it to search the TVDB rather then the TMDB?

TVDB is correctly listed against TV Shows in the Meta Source Manager in the Settings/System dialogue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

EDIT : It's OK I figured it out - didn't quite have the correct naming convention. I was missing that all important "." before the S01E01 part.

#1,148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewkemp /forum/post/21481618

Has anyone setup multiple WD TV's connecting to the same NAS? I searched the thread and someone mentioned it being an issue with the meta data files or something. I want to get a Live Hub to just store movies and avoid possible lag over the network and everything else on my Synology DS212 NAS. Currently I just have a live SMP and everything works fine, I sometimes (very rarely) get some choppiness on 1080P movies with bit rate of 20Mbps+ even with a 1GB connection so I want to replace that with a Live Hub and use the SMP upstairs over wifi for tv shows which are never a problem.

I picked up a Live Hub today, I have both connected and so far so good! I'll update the thread if I notice any problems.

#1,149 ·
well...(sadly)...I can report that the "no sound and then freezes" prob still exists for a great many mp4 files with 6ch AAC audio...and to reiterate all of them played fine on all prior generation models (but never on the SMP)

RAPHAEL...if you're lurking at all, can you please comment on the following:

there is an open problem on the WDC community site "Bad Stutter with certain mkv & mp4 (avc codec & aac audio)" that has STATUS listed as INVESTIGATING since about 12th of December.....HOWEVER, when you actually read the problem that was reported, there are likely TWO different probs that user is indicating. The first he wrote about relates specifically to this mp4/AAC issue I have been crying about...but then he goes on to also detail prob with stuttering and delays, etc with MKV files.

So....have you actually created separate investigations at your end and if not, which one are you actually working on and if it isn't the mp4/AAC issue, do I need to submit further history in order to get that reprioritized or what ??

thx...moo

I have to add....I'm quite surprised how limited the impact seems to be with this issue within the larger community here (unless people know it's under investigation and have just stopped talking about it)....I'm really tempted to dismantle setup and relocate to another TV to see if there's some kind of funky handshake thing happening with HDMI (I had problem at cottage rental earlier in summer where almost none of my proven files would play and would freeze and lock up the box (a Live) and by swapping back to COMPONENT cables, the thing ran absolutely fine !!) Anyhow...still frustrated, especially since they were all perfect earlier and we've now had 2-3 firmware upgrades and still no luck.

If this is more widespread than it appears to be, please comment...thanks

#1,150 ·
I've just recently picked up a SMP with the hopes of being able to stream content from my Win7 64 bit PC to my TV. So far, it's been an exercise in frustration.

Everything is hard wired, albeit using my UVerse DVR as the LAN jack. Basically, my setup is like this:

PC UVerse router .... UVerse DVR Linksys router set as a bridge SMP

If I try to stream a .MTS file via DLNA, it plays great.

If I try the same file, it will either stutter horribly or freeze the player.

When the player freezes, I have to power it off and on using the remote. When it comes back, it seems to have problems connecting to the file share. The dreaded "There is no media in the current folder" message appears.

So why not just use DLNA? It doesn't display all the files on the server. .TS files show up, .MKV don't. I'm a newbie to media streaming, so I'm hoping it's a simple setting I'm overlooking.

Ideally, I'd love to make file sharing work reliably (and have the media library populate so that I could view the cover art, etc). I guess I'd settle for DLNA if I had to.

Any advice? I've tried resetting the device. Firmware is current.

Thanks,

-Brett.

#1,151 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_H /forum/post/21490411

I've just recently picked up a SMP with the hopes of being able to stream content from my Win7 64 bit PC to my TV. So far, it's been an exercise in frustration.

Everything is hard wired, albeit using my UVerse DVR as the LAN jack. Basically, my setup is like this:

If I try to stream a .MTS file via DLNA, it plays great.

If I try the same file, it will either stutter horribly or freeze the player.

When the player freezes, I have to power it off and on using the remote. When it comes back, it seems to have problems connecting to the file share. The dreaded "There is no media in the current folder" message appears.

So why not just use DLNA? It doesn't display all the files on the server. .TS files show up, .MKV don't. I'm a newbie to media streaming, so I'm hoping it's a simple setting I'm overlooking.

Ideally, I'd love to make file sharing work reliably (and have the media library populate so that I could view the cover art, etc). I guess I'd settle for DLNA if I had to.

Any advice? I've tried resetting the device. Firmware is current.

Thanks,

-Brett.

To troubleshoot:

Place problem files on local USB storage (connected directly to SMP). The results of this test are most important. If they play, continue ...

Remove (Bridge Mode) Linksys Router. Connect SMP to Uverse router with a wire. Run a long cable through the house (for testing) if that is easier than moving TV-and-SMP to Uverse router.

I question the need for Linksys Bridge. I'm guess you have other non-Wifi capable devices near the SMP. Maybe the router has better reception? However, aren't they all sharing a single WiFi link? Are they low-bandwidth or you only use one at a time? Anyway, removing it might tell you something.

#1,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_H /forum/post/21490411

You are using the Linksys router as a WiFi Bridge or a dumb wired switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.