AVS Forum banner

The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread

188K views 1K replies 245 participants last post by  yomamaha867 
#1 ·
#853 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachMe2 /forum/post/21422261

How do you get the unit to output an HDMI signal to both the 'HMDI out' devices? I have a signal coming into 'HDMI in' and need it to be displayed to both devices.

thanks in advance

On the right side of the remote is a button labeled "hdmi out." Click through it several times to enable hdmi out 1, 2, 1&2, or none.

#855 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancelot /forum/post/21310327

Sorry if this has been posted, but Yamaha has an official iPhone and Android app for their receivers. It lets you control multiple zones and stream music from your mobile device.

AV Receiver Controller App
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins /forum/post/21311689

Try searching next time, it has been posted.

Yamaha added "Music Play" to their AV Controller App for iOS and Android in December. It's damn near close to the functionality of Apple's AirPlay (for audio). You no longer have to physically dock an iPod or iPhone to play music through the AVR. I haven't seen any mention of this on the thread. This is quite a big new feature. They can't brand it AirPlay, but it provides the same overall end-result. ME LIKE!

New in version 2.00:

- Adds Music Play feature

Browse and play music stored on an Apple iOS device using the AV Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.

#856 ·
Thanks for pointing that out. I never use it on my droid because I didn't want to turn on wifi, now I do! Now I can listen to my Amazon cloud music without having to push/pull it from windows...

Somehow the old and new yamaha app were on my ipod...

On a related note, I was playing with the squeezebox app while I was over at my parents house, wondering if it would play internet radio, it did not. But when I came home it had turned on the squeezebox in the bathroom and groove salad was playing. It freaked out my wife!

#857 ·
Hmm, jumped the gun on that cloud thing. The music has to be on the phone/device. It would be nice of Yamaha to build Amazon into the receiver since there are 4 other music services I don't use... That way I don't have to go over to another device. I'm shocked that the Roku doesn't have an Amazon music app.

#858 ·
guys

i recently added subwoofers to my system. now i have left and right mains, and two subs.

so, ypao sets the mains to large.

i think i recall seeing that i am supposed to set the mains to small. this has to be done in the manual setup, correct? then also in manual setup, i can set the bass crossover.

ok, fine. now the questions:

if i use manual setup, what am i losing in terms of not using the ypao?

why does the graphic interface show only one subwoofer when there are two (and both are working and both were calibrated during auto cal with ypao?)

does manual or auto produce maximum performance?

thanks in advance for any guidance

#859 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham /forum/post/21481267

guys

i recently added subwoofers to my system. now i have left and right mains, and two subs.

so, ypao sets the mains to large.

i think i recall seeing that i am supposed to set the mains to small. this has to be done in the manual setup, correct? then also in manual setup, i can set the bass crossover.

ok, fine. now the questions:

if i use manual setup, what am i losing in terms of not using the ypao?

why does the graphic interface show only one subwoofer when there are two (and both are working and both were calibrated during auto cal with ypao?)

does manual or auto produce maximum performance?

thanks in advance for any guidance

If the front speaker woofers are large (defined as over 6.25 inches) then leave them large. Also, the speaker manual tells you what the lower frequency limit is good for. All depends how close to a perfectionist you are. Mine is set to "use". I like it.

YPAO is a good starting point, but reality is good too. What sounds good is maximum performance.

Does running the test tone make both subs activate? Someone with two subs will have to help with that.

#860 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21481363

If the front speaker woofers are large (defined as over 6.25 inches) then leave them large. Also, the speaker manual tells you what the lower frequency limit is good for. All depends how close to a perfectionist you are. Mine is set to "use". I like it.

YPAO is a good starting point, but reality is good too. What sounds good is maximum performance.

Does running the test tone make both subs activate? Someone with two subs will have to help with that.

thanks

i dont necessarily understand everything you said however

the lower frequency level of the mains or the subs?

what do you have set to "use"? the subwoofer?

you say ypao is a good starting point, ok, but what is reality?

when you say running the test tone, youre talking about during ypao? during ypao both subs activate.

#861 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham /forum/post/21481458

thanks

i dont necessarily understand everything you said however

the lower frequency level of the mains or the subs?

what do you have set to "use"? the subwoofer?

you say ypao is a good starting point, ok, but what is reality?

when you say running the test tone, youre talking about during ypao? during ypao both subs activate.

Then one thing at a time. Your front speakers have a documented frequency response. If the lower limit is 60Hz or 80Hz, I would consider them "small". If it's 20Hz, I would consider them large.

Please note: most setup menu options have an up arrow that means more data can be found by using the remote "up". Please check those options.

What is reality? I know I can't answer that one.

#862 ·
I'm trying to hook up an old Mac mini to my receiver. The mac only has dvi and optical audio, so I've got a dvi-hdmi cable for the video, and an optical cable for the audio. Where would I input the optical cable on the receiver, and how do I associate it with the HDMI input for the mac?

#863 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram /forum/post/21489854

I'm trying to hook up an old Mac mini to my receiver. The mac only has dvi and optical audio, so I've got a dvi-hdmi cable for the video, and an optical cable for the audio. Where would I input the optical cable on the receiver, and how do I associate it with the HDMI input for the mac?

All HDMI inputs can get their audio from any place except another HDMI input. So pick your input, bring up the OSD, find the input and hit the up arrow. Select the port, AV1 or AV4, and you're done.

#866 ·
Harmony setup with the 867 question...

I often need to switch the AudioIn to another source and leave Video alone. Is there a way to make a sequence on Harmony to do this??? Maybe I am overlooking the obvious??

Thanks

#870 ·
I have a quick question about the Sirius IR input on the 867, and I hope someone can help.

I just finished setting up my father-in-law's receiver on his network, and we tried to listen to his XM account. We logged in using his account as well as my account, as we both pay for the online subscription. It didn't matter which one we used the system just sat at the "Please wait." screen. We let it sit there for easily 5 minutes with nothing happening. I know the network connection works because we can listen to the Pandora app. As a side note, he is also running the most recent firmware; I updated it this afternoon as soon as the message popped on the screen.

I tried searching the forum, but all I really found was talk about the XML not updating or updating randomly.

Did SiriusXM kill the Yamaha app when they redesigned their website a few months ago? Or does it take an obnoxiously long time the first time you log in? Or might there be something else?

Thanks.

#871 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchiasson /forum/post/21494697

I have a quick question about the Sirius IR input on the 867, and I hope someone can help.

I just finished setting up my father-in-law's receiver on his network, and we tried to listen to his XM account. We logged in using his account as well as my account, as we both pay for the online subscription. It didn't matter which one we used the system just sat at the "Please wait." screen. We let it sit there for easily 5 minutes with nothing happening. I know the network connection works because we can listen to the Pandora app. As a side note, he is also running the most recent firmware; I updated it this afternoon as soon as the message popped on the screen.

I tried searching the forum, but all I really found was talk about the XML not updating or updating randomly.

Did SiriusXM kill the Yamaha app when they redesigned their website a few months ago? Or does it take an obnoxiously long time the first time you log in? Or might there be something else?

Thanks.

If Pandora and IP Radio work then your network is fine and it's a SiriusXM/Yamaha problem. I don't use the service.

#873 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 /forum/post/21495184

hmmmm....So the Scene buttons can be incorporated into the Harmony remote button command???

I don't have a Harmony. I hear they are very good. They may have a thread on this forum. I'm glad you were able to get the Scene buttons to work for your switching inputs. I wish we had more of those white buttons.

#874 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21481699

Then one thing at a time. Your front speakers have a documented frequency response. If the lower limit is 60Hz or 80Hz, I would consider them "small". If it's 20Hz, I would consider them large.

Please note: most setup menu options have an up arrow that means more data can be found by using the remote "up". Please check those options.

What is reality? I know I can't answer that one.

heres how it works apparently:

setting sub to 'use' allows you to choose large or small front mains. if you set subwoofer to none, you arent able to choose small front mains. it will default to large.

once you choose 'use' subwoofer, then you can select small front mains. but if you choose 'use' subwoofer, and keep the fronts as large, your sub(s) will not activate unless you turn on extra bass.

seems to be this is important info for people with large mains that want their subs to work as well.

#875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham /forum/post/21496370

heres how it works apparently:

setting sub to 'use' allows you to choose large or small front mains. if you set subwoofer to none, you arent able to choose small front mains. it will default to large.

once you choose 'use' subwoofer, then you can select small front mains. but if you choose 'use' subwoofer, and keep the fronts as large, your sub(s) will not activate unless you turn on extra bass.

seems to be this is important info for people with large mains that want their subs to work as well.

Sounds logical. Anyhow, my speakers didn't come in a box with a sticker stating they needed a subwoofer. I bought them for their high end and left them set to large after YPAO. My sub works wonderful, and it is set to "use" at 0.0 db. Most of my content does not have the LFE signal. I like the extra bass. Works for me.

#876 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21497565

Sounds logical. Anyhow, my speakers didn't come in a box with a sticker stating they needed a subwoofer. I bought them for their high end and left them set to large after YPAO. My sub works wonderful, and it is set to "use" at 0.0 db. Most of my content does not have the LFE signal. I like the extra bass. Works for me.

My speakers didn't have a box, let alone a sticker. I was just trying to understand how it all worked. I figured it out. Thought it would be helpful to others to let them know if they dont turn on the extra bass, they wont be getting anything out of their sub since simply setting them to large isn't enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.