AVS Forum banner
48K views 80 replies 45 participants last post by  Gov 
#1 ·
Here is my “review” of the ZVOX Z-Base 555:

I recently purchases a Sony 46HX909 (a great TV!) and I found the speakers to be terribly anemic. I decided I wanted to get a sound system to beef up the sound. I didn’t want anything too elaborate or loud; my living room is not large. My wife expressed concerns about having too many cords/speaker that would “junk up the room”. After looking at a number of soundbars, I decided not to get one because I don’t have room for a subwoofer (and the SBs without subs didn’t have enough low end). I did some research and came across the 555. After reading up on it, I decided to give it a try … ZVOX has a 30 day money back guarantee.

The system fit the bill for me perfectly. Here is why:

1) Because the Z-Base system is a simple looking black wooden box that your TV sits on, it is practically unnoticeable to anyone walking in the room. I actually have had to point it out to some people. The construction is very solid and the quality of the build is impressive.

2) It is programmable, so you don’t need to use the remote once you adjust the settings (EQ, Surround-sound, etc.).

3) It has bass without using a sub! Mind you, it doesn’t have tons of bass and it is mostly present in the low-mids. If you have to have those house shaking lows, you will need a sub. But if you are like me and not that picky, it is fine (even good!).

4) Overall, the sound is very good. Like I said, “low” low end is not present and it seems the same with the really high end… but overall the system has a nice sound. It did exactly what I wanted – it improved the sound of my TV a great deal.

5) Setup is extremely simple. One optical cable does the trick, reducing cordage for those neat freaks like my wife and me.

6) The Surround-sound does a decent job. There are 3 levels – I keep it on the most “Surroundy” (lv 3). ZVOX did a nice job with this feature, which gives the unit a bigger, fuller sound (unlike the surround in most TVs that do nothing).

7) There is a digital readout on the right side of the unit. It only displays when you use the remote and turns off after several seconds.

8) The system turns itself off if there is no input after a certain amount of time.

Thing that could be improved on, in my opinion:

1) The remote is small and not too impressive. This isn’t an issue for me because I don’t use it.

2) I would like to see more EQ settings than just treble and bass. Mids would be nice, but I guess that might be getting too picky. Not many devices like this one have mid controls.

3) The high end could be just a bit brighter. Again, I am getting picky. I actually avoid this problem by leaving my TV speakers on really low. They have a nice high end, but little else. They supplement the “tingier” high frequencies very nicely.

4) There is no HDMI support! This is my biggest *****!

Edit (8/17/11): Upon research, I think that my comment about HDMI is not warranted. From what I have read, HDMI would not have a great advantage over the optical input. Also, now that I have had the speakers for a while, I think that the high frequencies are present enough on their own.

Notable features that I don’t care about or use:

1) In addition to the EQ and Surround setting there is also a limiter and a “voice enhancer”. Both work well and are fine for something like a news broadcast, but I wouldn’t use them while viewing a movie or watching a concert. The limiter compresses the sound so those pesky commercials are less blaring and annoying, but it kills dynamics. The voice enhancer boosts midrange to make vocals sound more prominent. This is at the cost of other frequencies and the surround sound.

2) It has a number of other inputs, but the optical is best. Also, an optical cable is included with your purchase, which is a nice touch these days.

Edit: (9/5/11) now that I have had the system for over a month, I do find that the voice enhancer is useful sometimes. It really does a nice job of making the voices clearer and easier to understand.

Overall, I am very happy with the ZVOX Z-Base 555. It does not replace a good 5.1, 7.1 or a great stereo (we have JBL studio monitors that sound great…. but I don’t want to leave them on all the time). You won’t get true surround sound with this system, so don’t expect miracles. However, you will get much improved sound from your TV speakers and the surround does a commendable job. I have been demoing the unit to my friends and family first with the TV speaker, then with the 555 and it has been getting rave reviews. Everyone says, “wow, that thing sounds good…. who makes it?”. Or something like that...

At its price,you could argue that you can get something that sounds a lot better and that may be true. But you won’t get anything that is so hidden (unless you go for in-wall speakers) and easy to set up and operate.

If I were to score the 555 I would give it a 93%. Although it is not perfect… sturdy construction, rich robust sound and aesthetically pleasing looks make this system a winner. If you want to avoid using a subwoofer and have a sound system that is inconspicuous in your décor, it might be the one for you!

EDIT: (9/10/11) Cnet reviewed the 555, here is there take . They pretty much like it.

They mostly agree with me only they are a little harder on the sound quality. Like I said, it is a big step up from my TV speakers, but far from perfect...

See less See more
#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverenddave /forum/post/21495333

Velcrow,

Thanks for the comparison. I was trying to decide which one to buy. Based on your input and the Cnet review (which said the same thing), I'm getting the 555.

Hi Reverenddave,

Please let us know what you think after you have your your system for a while. Hopefully you will enjoy it, but I like see what other people think.

Cheers

#30 ·
Good exchange, folks. I'm in the market for a soundbar and ZVOX looks good, but the 555 is maybe more than I need for my 37" TV. Has anybody tried the 420 and/or compared it to the 555? The only dif seems to be that the 420 lacks some amp power and a Dolby decoder. Same drivers and box dimensions; $100 less than the 555.

#31 ·
I am considering the zvox for the bedroom as I want a soundbar that will auto turn on/off with the tv (older lcd non-arc) and work using the tv's remote (needs be simple for the wife) and from what I hear the zvox is one (or only) soundbar that will do this. Can people who have used the zvox comment on how well the auto on/off works? If I have two devices hooked up to (tv and dvd player) it will it auto switch inputs when I power on the dvd player?

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane F. /forum/post/21632917

I am considering the zvox for the bedroom as I want a soundbar that will auto turn on/off with the tv (older lcd non-arc) and work using the tv's remote (needs be simple for the wife) and from what I hear the zvox is one (or only) soundbar that will do this. Can people who have used the zvox comment on how well the auto on/off works? If I have two devices hooked up to (tv and dvd player) it will it auto switch inputs when I power on the dvd player?

Hi Lane F,

The on/off functionality works well with the ZVOX,

As far as your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane F. /forum/post/21632917

If I have two devices hooked up to (tv and dvd player) it will it auto switch inputs when I power on the dvd player?

I have the optical coming directly out of my TV, so any device connected to my TV will use the on/off functionality. If you were to use multiple outputs connected by a splitter... I think it would still work, but I have never tried it to substatiate that theory.

#35 ·
Hi Folks - I (an admitted audio fussbudget) have recent experience with both the ZVOX 555 (installed one at my brother's house) and the 580 (installed one at my home). I've had the 580 for 2 weeks now, and can make some preliminary comments. I have it connected using two inputs; The analog in-1 is fed by my DirecTV HR24 DVR, and the optical digital input is connected to my Panasonic TC-P46S30 TV. Why twice, you ask? I use the analog connection to allow insertion of a pair of inline audio pads (-12db each), so I can get the volume steps on the ZVOX volume control less coarse. Can't do that with the optical connection. I also A/B'd the two connections and found little if any difference between the two.

First, I'm skeptical about digital amplifiers (IMO, very few of them sound good), but I realize that they're more efficient and less costly than the analog variety. Makes me wonder if I'd have been happier with the now discontinued 575 HSD model, which had analog amps. Owners of the latter model, please weigh in.

Second, I'm also against so-called full-range drivers (remember the Bose 901, trying to get bass, mids and treble from 4-inch drivers?). I'm not crazy about small midrange drivers trying to also be tweeters. At close range, the 3.5-inch speakers sound harsh to my ears, especially up in the high freq's. Bottom line: the audio quality of the 580 falls a bit short for me, but remember - I'm way pickier than most.

As far as which unit is better, the 580 definitely goes louder and deeper than the 555; on the other hand, the mids and highs on both are nearly identical. So, that makes the 555 the better overall value, IMO.

Lastly, here's my assessment of the "Output Levelling" feature. For those of us who disdain loud commercials or movie action sequences at +20db above the dialogue, this item is essential. Why it boosts the signal by nearly 6db when it's engaged is somewhat of a mystery.

#36 ·
@500GB

Do the ZVOX units sound different if the TV is not sitting on them? For example, could they be on a shelf under the TV (the TV is living on a stand with 2 glass shelves under it).

When you connect the 580 to the TV via optical are any sounds lost?

How do these units comprehensive with a Bose Cinemate system?

Is optical better than analogue?

Thanks,

Philip

#37 ·
Philip,

I will take a shot at you questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/21635481

@500GB

Do the ZVOX units sound different if the TV is not sitting on them? For example, could they be on a shelf under the TV (the TV is living on a stand with 2 glass shelves under it).

Where you position it will change the way it sounds. High end is very directional, so the further away it is from "ear-shot", the less you will hear. Since bass is omni-directional, positioning matters less. Also, bass can be amplified a bit if it is say, put in a cabinet. It can use the cabinet as a resonator. So.... positioning is very important when it comes to soundbars.

Some soundbars depend on back walls to bounce signals to create faux surround-sound.

Quote:

When you connect the 580 to the TV via optical are any sounds lost?

Theoretically, if the signal is digital, optical cable shouldn't loose anything (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here....).

Quote:

How do these units comprehensive with a Bose Cinemate system?

I haven't heard the Cinemate in my house, but have heard it as a demo. IMO, the BOSE sounds much better. A big draw with ZVOX is simplicity and it has its trade-offs. It will greatly improve your TVs sound, but it won't give you "big" surround sound or even great stereo. It is not for audiophiles, but for people who want a seamless almost "hidden" system and better sound than most TV speakers are capable of giving.

Quote:

Is optical better than analogue?

I have used both with my system and I thought that optical sounded a little stronger, but it may have been psychological. I had to go between the two... I can tell you that I don't think there is a huge difference.

Quote:

Thanks,

Philip

#39 ·
I have optical connection between my TV and Zvox 555 (Toslink). Yesterday something strange happened... while flipping channels we were watching American Idol ... 3 folks were singing and their vocals were totally drowned out. However, when the judges spoke, it sounded loud and clear. All the while, the surround sound was consistent. Do you think this might be a problem with the TV signal / recording or the Optical cable or the decoding in 555? I just hope it is just something to do with the recording. Has anyone else experienced this with their Zvox system?

#40 ·
I'd like to chime in on Philip's questions a few posts ago, and Kilgire777's responses.

pmcd: Do the ZVOX units sound different if the TV is not sitting on them? For example, could they be on a shelf under the TV (the TV is living on a stand with 2 glass shelves under it).

Kilgore777: Where you position it will change the way it sounds. High end is very directional, so the further away it is from "ear-shot", the less you will hear. Since bass is omni-directional, positioning matters less. Also, bass can be amplified a bit if it is say, put in a cabinet. It can use the cabinet as a resonator. So.... positioning is very important when it comes to soundbars.

500GB: K777's response is accurate, but neglects to mention the fact that the closer the center channel audio is to the TV's display, the better. In other words, you should keep the ZVOX as close to the picture as possible.

pmcd: When you connect the 580 to the TV via optical are any sounds lost?

K777: Theoretically, if the signal is digital, optical cable shouldn't loose anything (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here....).

500GB: The only kind of signal on an optical cable is "digital" by definition. But there are several different formats for digital signals. Here are some of them:

(1) PCM (Pulse Code Modulation): This is a discrete 2-channel (stereo) digital signal. Most digital inputs on current audio gear (e.g., the ZVOX 555) can accept this format.

(2) Dolby Digital: This is a discrete 6-channel surround format, 5 full-range signals for LF, CTR, RF, LS and RS; and one limited-range signal for a subwoofer. The desination item must have a Dolby Digital decoder built in (the 555 does).

(3) DTS: Same as (2), but requires a different decoder. I don't believe the 555 can decode this format.

As far as "sounds being lost" when using optical, this shouldn't happen, as long as the device sending the signal is set to a format that's compatible with the destination device.

I agree with the the other answers given to Philip's questions.

#41 ·
The big differences between the 420 and 555 are:

the 555 has an all digital amp that allows us to contour the sound much better than the analog amp in the 420, and it's more energy efficient

the 555 has a Dolby processor and the 420 doesn't, so if you use OTA, you'll need to set your output to PCM if you can.

the 555 is rated at 70 watts output and the 420 is 45 watts

Kevin@ZVOXaudio

#42 ·
Hello everyone. I just purchased a ZVOX 555 and I am very satisfied with the purchase. Also the folks at ZVOX are top notch if you have to call with a problem. Since I don't want to post a second time, I copied the following from my post on the Sony KDL55HX750 thread since I just purchased that tv last week also. If the ZVOX folks reads my post below, please correct if I didn't say it right. Once again, my family and I love the ZVOX 555 and as long as you know what you are buying, you won't be dissapointed. Here is my post from the sony tv thread:

Hi Steve, If you decide to go the ZVOX 555 route, let me give you some important advice in relationship to the Sony 750. When I first hooked it up we were thrilled with the great sound. Later, we were watching the news and the sound of the newsbroadcaster was going in and out. Then when a commercial came, the sound blasted which is not supposed to happen since we had the "output levelizing" on. When we switched to the History Channel we were back to great sound. I called ZVOX up and those guys are incredibly helpfull and patient. Here is the problem - ZVOX includes in the box a set of RCA cables with red and white plugs. The 750 has no output in the back to handle RCA cable. The 750 only has 2 audio outputs, a digital optical output and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug. I bought a digital optical cord and attached it to the tv and zvox. Everything was great. Then lousy with news. ZVOX said the problem is the digital optical cable allows the XVOX 555 to handle dolby digital. Most of tv content and all of movies are dolby digital and everything is fine. Problem is live broadcasts like news and sports are not transferred to cable box in dolby digital so the digital optical cable doesn't work right. There are two solutions to this. One - either at tv or at cable box change sound settings from dolby digital to PCM stereo and problem is fixed. Except you lose dolby digital for good just to get live broadcasts right. Second solution is to buy another cable called an RCA to 3.5mm mini-plug cable. One side of the wire has the red and white cables the other side of the wire has a 3.5mm mini-plug which plugs into the side of the 750 right above the HDMI input. So now you have two sets of wires coming out of tv and into ZVOX. One is the digital optical cable and the other is the rca - mini-plug cable. All you have to do now is use the remote to switch the input on the ZVOX between the two cables. This is very easy to do. Most of the time you will be using the digital optical cable and news and sports you will have pcm stereo with the rca - mini-plug cable. The cable is inexpensive at $7.00. It is not ZVOX's fault or Sony's fault. It is the signal being received into the house. The problem may just be with my cable provider because I haven't read any complaints on amazon reviews on it. ZVOX is sending me the wire and I haven't received it yet. The good news with ZVOX is you have a free 30 day trial to return it with no questions asked. If anyone does buy the ZVOX 555 here are my settings: Dialog Emphasis off, Output Leveling on, Surround Sound at 3, treble at 2 and base at 3. I have purchased 2 Sony soundbars and returned them the next day because they just made everything louder - not better. I also used to have a stereo surrond sound system with Bose speakers and sub-woofer. The rumbling floor shaking bass gets old fast and after a few months we sold to a relative in his teens who liked it. I can guarantee you there is plenty of bass in the ZVOX 555 without a sub-woofer on the floor. I rambled a bit here but I can't say enough about the ZVOX 555 and wish I would have purchased years ago. My wife wants me to buy another one for our older Sony 46" upstairs since my wife and I sometimes watch different movies upstairs when my sons have their friends over in the family room. Looks like I rambled a bit here but just want to help out if I can.

#43 ·
I just received my Zvox 555 yesterday to use with our new Samsung UN55ES7150. Purchased on eBay from Zvox as a "scratch and dent" unit for only $169 with free shipping. It looks brand new, cannot find a scratch or dent on it. Sounds much better than the TV speakers. Very happy with the purchase!

#44 ·
fyi - be careful buying re-furbished from zvox. I bought a second one for our other tv because we liked the first zvox 555. I talked to zvox first and they said the re-furbished are thouroughly tested before being sold and they're pretty much like new in terms of sound. After a few days of using, the sound will just shut off. The only way to get it to work again is to shut it off using the switch in the back of the box. The remote power button will not make it work again. We also have the tv volume set to "fixed" and the cable box set to "fixed" so the problem is the zvox. zvox does give a 30 day money back trial offer so they are pretty good at that and they pay shipping. I'd say the previous owner returned it for the same reason and then it was re-sold to me. In about 3 days and 18 hours of use it has happened twice. I would say that is how zvox failed to detect it because it doesn't happen all of the time. I still love zvox soundbars but no more re-refurbished for me. Other reviewers have not had problems buying re-furbished but it's not worth the $100 savings in my opinion.

#46 ·
Been using my ZVOX 555 for a couple weeks now and I love it. I have a question regarding the signal from my DirTV box. In the settings, it allows you to choose between dolby digital and PCM. The obvious choice would seem to be DD, but I cant tell the difference, and actually thought it may have sounded better with the PCM signal. The DirTV is connected to my Panny VT via HDMI, optical out from the VT to the ZVOX.

Is it better for the ZVOX to decode DD or get a PCM signal?

My PS3 automatically detects what signals it can send and when I play blu ray with it, and it only lists (2) 2.1 LPCM signals that will be used. PS3 is also connected to the tv via HDMI. Anyone familiar with the Ps3 detection screen will understand what I'm talking about when I say that all other options are "grayed out" except for the LPCM.

Is this the correct settings for the PS3 with the ZVOX or am i doing something wrong?

#48 ·
Thank you for the quick response...

Thats sad news. I guess the question now is, do i want to go through all the hassle of hooking everything up to a receiver just to get a DD decode vs the PCM.

Does anyone have an opinion if the DD is really THAT much better than a PCM signal on a ZVOX 555? I realize its never going to sound like a 5.1 system, but is there a worthwhile difference?

I have a PS3, X360, and Sat box that all need to feed the ZVOX audio, so if the Panny audio output is PCM only, it sounds like I'm out of luck unless I want to ad another piece of equipment. Or does it even matter really because the ZVOX isnt true surround anyway...

Any opinions are appreciated!

#49 ·
Well you did say it sounds good! There's an easy test you can perform to compare the PCM with DD. Take the optical cable and connect it directly to the PS3 instead of the TV. You'll probably need to make a setting change on the PS3 to output audio on optical rather than HDMI. Now see if it sounds better or different to you. You could perform the same test with the sat box if you want. If you hear a significant difference, you could get an optical switch so that each of your source devices would connect to it and feed the Zvox that way. If the PCM output sounds just as good to you, leave things as they are and enjoy.

#51 ·
Appreciate the info! For anyone who may have an interest in this (VT panasonic TV owners interested in ZVOX, I'm talking to you...) I did do some "testing" last night. There is a significant increase in the quality/depth of sound for the simulated fields on a 555 when comparing optical and PCM signals.

On to a digital switch I guess. Another note for any Direct TV owners, thinking about switching to the "genie" box. I just noticed last night that the Genie box has no optical output, only digital coaxial. SO, thank you ZVOX for having a coaxial input. Many others will need to purchase an adapter to convert coax to opt.

I've looked up a few optical switches on Amazon and a couple look decent, but if anyone is currently using one and has a recommendation, feel free to respond or send a message!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.