AVS Forum banner

Elder Scrolls V

158K views 3K replies 191 participants last post by  s1njin 
#1 ·
#2,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/0

No way, keep the reward. You have to spend way to many skill points to raise the skill to do the same thing. Without it, the whole lockpicking becomes VERY boring and useless. I want the treasure, etc. not to play some poorly concieved mini-game.

Just keep in mind that by doing so, you're effectively locking out half of that questline. That isn't the end of the line, just the first act. Unfortunately what comes next has a lot of filler content, but it's working towards a distinct end goal.

Really though, that should have been one of the ultimate rewards. I dunno why they'd give it to you just to take it away.

#2,283 ·
Do we have an estimated current release date for the next Skyrim patch (on the Xbox 360)?

In my current game session, I have a number of quests which are broken due to bugs in the game. I realize sadly that patches can't always fix game saves which are already broken and instead may only be able to help for future new games, but still it would be nice to get as many fixes as possible before folks "finish" playing. I've also seen various bugs that don't break a quest but screw with the quest log, like getting a minor quest assigned after I've already completed it, e.g. a Jarl asks me to retrieve something which I've already retrieved for them.

#2,285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 /forum/post/21510506

Just keep in mind that by doing so, you're effectively locking out half of that questline. That isn't the end of the line, just the first act. Unfortunately what comes next has a lot of filler content, but it's working towards a distinct end goal.

Really though, that should have been one of the ultimate rewards. I dunno why they'd give it to you just to take it away.

I disagree. Giving it back is the end of the questline. Even if you keep it, you can do everything else for the them, sidequests, stealing, etc. the last thing is to give it, after that, there are no more quests you can do that you couldn't do before giving it back.

#2,286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/21510573

Could you just give it back then pickpocket it?

Will not ruin it but there is no possible way you can get it back once you do that action.

Be warned to, once you get the key, do NOT go into the final dungeoun it points you to and then leave. There is an unpatched bug in the 360 version that if you go into that dungeoun and leave, the final part of the quest is broken and the lady never appears (this is documented on line). Once you get the key and they say okay go give it back. That is when you can go and adventure with it as long as you want.

#2,287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/0

I disagree. Giving it back is the end of the questline. Even if you keep it, you can do everything else for the them, sidequests, stealing, etc. the last thing is to give it, after that, there are no more quests you can do that you couldn't do before giving it back.

Hmm...I was under the impression that all that stuff about rebuilding only came after you completed that quest.

Screw it, keep that thing.

#2,288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 /forum/post/21510506

This is something Bethesda has been doing in Elder Scrolls games for a long time. Basically, it forces you to weigh your desire for an awesome item against your desire to complete a quest line. There was a very memorable one in Morrowind with a robe that effectively made you invulverable. You could either give it to the quest-giver, or keep it and never finish the quest. Most people kept it. The (annoying) difference now is that you get achievement points for finishing quests, so you're also choosing not to get the achievement by keeping the item.

Regardless, this particular item in Skyrim doesn't seem worth holding onto. Seems like an easy choice to me.

#2,289 ·
Im actully going to give it back soon I need the final quests for the guild more than i need the key. i have high lock picking skills anyways. and since you can buy lock picks i have virtually unlimited supply

#2,290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/21511931

The (annoying) difference now is that you get achievement points for finishing quests, so you're also choosing not to get the achievement by keeping the item.

I haven't done this but imagine it would work:
  • Create a save
  • Give the item to unlock the acheivement
  • restore the previous save, regaining the item

#2,291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/0

I haven't done this but imagine it would work:

[*]Create a save[*]Give the item to unlock the acheivement[*]restore the previous save, regaining the item

That'll work.

#2,292 ·
Has anybody gone back and replayed Morrowind recently? Years ago I got a copy with my graphics card but didn't really understand rpg games at the time so I stopped after about 2 hours of play. I liked Oblivion and am loving Skyrim. Was wondering if I should go back and replay Morrowind sometime or if it is so old it won't feel great.

#2,294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 /forum/post/0

Has anybody gone back and replayed Morrowind recently? Years ago I got a copy with my graphics card but didn't really understand rpg games at the time so I stopped after about 2 hours of play. I liked Oblivion and am loving Skyrim. Was wondering if I should go back and replay Morrowind sometime or if it is so old it won't feel great.

I replayed it a few years ago (also after Oblivion) to see if it still held up. It did. But you can't expect a modern game (with things like voice over and smooth animation). I'm of the opinion that a good game will always be a good game, no matter how old it is.

I don't expect Casablance to be in color with a 2:35:1 aspect ratio and 5.1 surround. Nor do I expect old NES classics to have polygons and jaw-dropping particle effects. Morrowind is now a decade old, and it shows in terms of its tech. As long as you're okay with that, it's an amazing game. Since you already own it, you lose nothing by installing it and seeing if it grabs you.

#2,295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/21511040

Do we have an estimated current release date for the next Skyrim patch (on the Xbox 360)?

In my current game session, I have a number of quests which are broken due to bugs in the game. I realize sadly that patches can't always fix game saves which are already broken and instead may only be able to help for future new games, but still it would be nice to get as many fixes as possible before folks "finish" playing. I've also seen various bugs that don't break a quest but screw with the quest log, like getting a minor quest assigned after I've already completed it, e.g. a Jarl asks me to retrieve something which I've already retrieved for them.

I was thinking this too. My new character is pretty much only living in Markarth and just helping (or double crossing) everyone where I can.

Problem 1. Guards inside Dwemer Musuem attack on site, ruining quest and exploration. This happened on my 1st playthrough also.

Problem 2. Was offered a house to buy after doing a quest for the Jarl. I can't get the offer back, so being that I am pretending to live only in Markarth, I have to pretty much stop this roleplaying as my items have me encumbered everytime I pick a darn flower. IE: I need a home, badly.

#2,296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooPAYNEoo /forum/post/21513546

I was thinking this too. My new character is pretty much only living in Markarth and just helping (or double crossing) everyone where I can.

Problem 1. Guards inside Dwemer Musuem attack on site, ruining quest and exploration. This happened on my 1st playthrough also.

Problem 2. Was offered a house to buy after doing a quest for the Jarl. I can't get the offer back, so being that I am pretending to live only in Markarth, I have to pretty much stop this roleplaying as my items have me encumbered everytime I pick a darn flower. IE: I need a home, badly.

#1 You need to do the mission for the guy that runs the museum then you get free pass.

#2Why cant you use the house of horror's abandoned house to dump your loot?

#2,300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/21521891

Errr... Maybe post a few highlights for those of us who can't visit that site during business hours?

May contain spoilers, don't know if I should wrap the mission info in the spoiler bracket so I'll be safe.

Current 1.4 Changelog (all platforms unless noted)

NEW FEATURES

Skyrim launcher support for Steam Workshop (PC)

BUG FIXES

General optimizations for memory and performance

Fixed occasional issue with armor and clothing not displaying properly when placed on mannequin's in player's house. (PS3)

Improved compiler optimization settings (PC)

Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)

Memory optimizations related to scripting

Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI

Fixed crash in Haemar's Shame if player had already completed A Daedra's Best Friend

Fixed rare crash with loading saved games

Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line

Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian

Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly

Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save

Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player's home

Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player's house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any furnishing.

Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly

Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells

Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly

Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail

Fixed memory crash with container menu

Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves

Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor's Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions

Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally not fail

Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks

QUEST FIXES
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The Unusual Gem inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing Diplomatic Immunity

In Breaching Security, the quest token is no longer required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble

Fixed issue where Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if Season Unending was an active quest

Fixed issue where starting Season Unending after finishing Joining the Stormcloaks would prevent The Jagged Crown from starting properly.

Fixed issue progressing through Message to Whiterun while Season Unending was still open would block progression for both quests.

In Arniel's Endeavor, fixed issue where a quest journal would trigger multiple times

In Forbidden Legend, the amulet fragment can no longer disappear after player leaves a dungeon without taking it

Fixed rare issue in Forbidden Legend where killing Mikrul Gauldurson while sneaking would make his corpse unaccessible

In The White Phial, the phial can no longer disappear if player leaves dungeon without taking it

The White Phial will now start properly if player already has a briar heart in their inventory

Player can no longer get stuck in Misty Grove after completing A Night to Remember

Fixed issue where leaving Riften during A Chance Arrangement would prevent quest from progressing

In Darkness Returns, a door in Twilight Sepulcher will properly open if the player leaves the dungeon for an extended period of time before completing the quest

In Under New Management, if the player leaves the Oculory for an extended period of time after placing the focusing crystal and returns, the quest will proceed correctly

Onmund's Request will now start properly if player has already found Enthir's staff before receiving this quest

Fixed instance where Tonilia would stop buying stolen items and also would not give Guild Leader Armor

Repairing the Phial will start properly if player already has unmelting snow or mammoth tusk in their inventory

Finding Pantea's Flute before speaking with Pantea no longer prevents her quest from updating

In The Coming of the Dawn, fixed rare instance where a quest object would spawn incorrectly on the Katariah during Hail Sithis

Fixed rare issue in The Mind of Madness where player is unable to equip the Wabbajack

Fixed issue in Pieces of the Past where Mehrunes Dagon's Razor will not trigger properly if player leaves the cell for extended period of time before activating it

Blood's Honor will start properly if you visited and completed Driftshade and an extended period of time passes before starting the quest.

Fixed rare issue where Dampened Spirits would not start properly

Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first

Fixed issue where killing guards in Cidhna Mine would block progression for No One Escapes Cidhna Mine

Fixed numerous issues with Blood on the Ice not triggering properly

In Blood on the Ice, Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm

In The Cure for Madness, killing Cicero then resurrecting him no longer impedes quest progress

Fixed rare issue in To Kill an Empire where an NPC would fail to die properly

Clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting Boethiah's Champion no longer prevents quest from starting.

#2,301 ·
Thanks.

Looks like they've made a lot of progress on cleaning up bugs in the named/major quests. Hopefully there's also been similar progress in the nameless/minor quests that have various miscellaneous problems, including:

1) Item fetch quest completes, but item isn't removed from inventory / isn't marked as no longer being a quest item.

2) Item fetch quest is issued a second time even though the item has already been fetched, so there's nothing further to do / no way to complete the quest.

3) Quest is completed, but quest givers acts like it has not been.

#2,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 /forum/post/21522179

I think I'm missing something obvious. How do you use your powers? I tried going in the magic menu and equiping like a spell to cast it but that didn't seem to do anything.

There should be a "powers" section within your magic menu. Equip it and then use it with rb like you would a shout.

#2,304 ·
I accidentally laid down a map marker. Is there a way to delete it? It shows up in the compass and is easy to confuse with quest markers. Annoying.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.