AVS Forum banner
6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Looking to replace my old Denon receiver with something new and was sure on the Denon AVR-1912 until I saw the Pioneer VSX-1121-k for the same price. Looks like it's an extra 20w per channel with Pioneer. Both have all the features I need, however Denon does offer a 2 yr warranty vs 1 year. My Speakers are B&W 683 if it makes a difference.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU /forum/post/0

Looking to replace my old Denon receiver with something new and was sure on the Denon AVR-1912 until I saw the Pioneer VSX-1121-k for the same price. Looks like it's an extra 20w per channel with Pioneer.

Don't buy pioneer's numbers the VSX-1021 bench tested way below the denon avr-1611 as far as actual wattage.

I am holding out for a review of the 1121 myself as I love the idea of iPod or iPad app

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU /forum/post/21512458

Yes, same price. I'm sure you can't post the link here... but I can't seem to find it for less than $640, 2112 that is.

Sometimes you actually have to pick up the phone and talk to a real person.

Call Electronics Expo and inquire about the Denon 2112. Or the AVS Store right here by clicking on the tab at the top left side of the page. Call them, you'll get a better price for sure. 877-823-4452.

#8 ·
My vote is the VSX-1121 since it has pre-outs. You could keep it if you ever wanted to add an amp. The cheapest Denon that has pre-outs is the 3312. The 1121 also has a Marvell processor if that matters to you.

Also, I know people talk about warranties but statistically if the unit is gonna fail it will within the warranty period. Personally I take my chances with the product I want regardless of the warranty. Buy an extended warranty if you want, they were made for paranoid people.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemathews68 /forum/post/21515716

Just a heads up. I just saw newegg has the vsx-1121-k for $450. I just started looking for a friend of mine I like this because it has most of the key features as well as the wireless iPod/Pad integration.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-82117401-L03B

I saw that too. Makes me wish I had $450.

*Note*I think you need to be part of their newsletter subscribers to apply the discount code but that takes 30 seconds.

#11 ·
Now I can't decide between the 2112CI and the VSX-1121-K. I like the extra 20w/channel on the 1121, but I can't find any reviews on the sound quality so I'm not sure how it compares to the 2112CI. Everything I read said the video is a lot better on the 1121. Sounds like I can get either for the same price right now so ....

#12 ·
Hi, take my comment for what it's worth but I had a 520 and a 921 (I know, not the same) and now have a Denon 2311, and I absolutely thrilled with Audyssey. The details that I was missing before was pretty dramatic. Also, I had issues with HDMI passthrough with my Pio, with the Denon, worked right away, no fuss.

I believe that Pioneer, from what I read (I never noticed as it is of no importance to me) will have a better video processing and the Airplay function as gain some fans.

One feature that I like from my Denon over the Pios is the independant crossover settings. I have towers for fronts and surrounds and I like the ability to set the xover a little lower than 80hz.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my Pioneers, very solid no nonsense receiver but I'm now a Denon "enthusiast" now

#13 ·
a note:

for the GREAT majority, worrying about the video processing in the avr is a misplaced worry...

#14 ·
I'm going with the 1121, just throwing it out there. Hope I made the right choice, time will tell.

#16 ·
I was seriously thinking about giving a Denon reciever that's comparable to the 1121 a try due to most users here raving about Audyssey Multeq, but with the 3312 being nearly $500 more than the 1121, I just can't see how having Audyssey Multeq will justify that big of a price difference. One could buy 2 1121's for the price of 1 3312.

#17 ·
^^

You don't need to jump all the way up to the 3312CI for MultEQ XT ...

1612, 1912 - Audyssey MultEQ (note the 1912 is the lowest networking model with Audyssey)

1712, 2112CI, 2312CI, 3312CI - Audyssey MultEQ XT

Review post #2 in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the various features of the XX12 models.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21567670

^^

You don't need to jump all the way up to the 3312CI for MultEQ XT ...

1612, 1912 - Audyssey MultEQ (note the 1912 is the lowest networking model with Audyssey)

1712, 2112CI, 2312CI, 3312CI - Audyssey MultEQ XT

I'd have to get at least a 3312 for preouts. I made a mistake in my earlier post, its actually a $700 difference

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21567798

^^ so to sacrifice better audio fidelity for preouts, yes, the 1121 is your better choice.

"sacrifice" is a very tragic word to use, is Audyssey so head over heels better than MACACC as one would say about HDTV vs SDTV?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/21568034

Its personal preference IMHO. Some people like MCACC over Audyssey, vice versa, and some people don't like auto calibration all together.

Yeah you maybe right, but with all the Audessey is far superior post here, I thought I'd at least inquire about it.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 /forum/post/0

Yeah you maybe right, but with all the Audessey is far superior post here, I thought I'd at least inquire about it.

True but I didn't find it to be a drastic difference like sdtv vs HDTV.

The nice thin about Audyssey receivers is they have the ability to set different crossover for each speakers. That way you can run your front left and right at 60hz center at 80hz and surrounds at 100hz, something you can't do with the pioneers which just have one universal crossover

Now have you thought of the Onkyo tx-sr709? It has pre-outs and Audyssey MultiEQ for 535 shipped. It's another option to think about

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 /forum/post/21568113

I'm shopping for a new AVR, and I was initially drawn to Denon because of the Audyssey buzz here. Then I saw comments about how MultEQ can't be adjusted or disabled for only certain speakers (subs), and comments like this have completely reversed my position. Now I'm leaning heavily to Yamaha, and my second choice is Pioneer -- because why would I want room EQ that screws up my sub (I'm already using a BFD with good results) and cannot be altered? I've seen plenty of comments about how MultEQ is superior to MCACC and YPAO (good job with subs. If they do a lousy job with subs and cannot be disabled while using MultEQ on the other speakers, then why would I want MultEQ? Now I'm thinking that MultEQ is more of a negative than a positive, and I'd rather take my chances with YPAO or MCACC.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 /forum/post/21568289

For what it's worth, I've used both and I find it is.

Really? You believe audessey vs mcacc is comparable to HD vs SD. I believe everyone here would be able to undoughtedly tell the difference from an HD signal and a SD signal without having the two signals displayed side by side. Can you do the same with audessey and mcacc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/21568301

I'm shopping for a new AVR, and I was initially drawn to Denon because of the Audyssey buzz here. Then I saw comments about how MultEQ can't be adjusted or disabled for only certain speakers (subs), and comments like this have completely reversed my position. Now I'm leaning heavily to Yamaha, and my second choice is Pioneer -- because why would I want room EQ that screws up my sub (I'm already using a BFD with good results) and cannot be altered? I've seen plenty of comments about how MultEQ is superior to MCACC and YPAO (good job with subs. If they do a lousy job with subs and cannot be disabled while using MultEQ on the other speakers, then why would I want MultEQ? Now I'm thinking that MultEQ is more of a negative than a positive, and I'd rather take my chances with YPAO or MCACC.

Great point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.