AVS Forum banner

Help needed hooking up components to new TV

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rayderz 
#1 ·
Hello

Im looking for some help with hooking up some components to my new 60" LG TV Model 60PV400.

Components include:

Pioneer surround sound receiver SX-315

Pioneer DVD player DVR231

Bell HD Digital receiver 6131

All components worked well with our old TV.

Cannot get the sound working for each component the way it used to.

Right now i have it rigged for sound from all components but it is definitely not the way it was or the way i want it

I have a vast assortment of RCA Red white yellow cables

HDMI Cables--single wire and triple wire.

I have PDF Files of the user manuals for all components if you need to look at them:

See less See more
#2 ·
We might be able to help if we could understand your problem. "Cannot get the sound working for each component the way it used to" is not a problem which we can solve. Could you describe how you had it connected before and the TV you were using. Then tell us how you have it connected now and why that is not satisfactory. The description should include what output is connected to what input including the connection type such as composite, component, HDMI, analog left/right audio, digital audio optical or coax, and coax RF for example.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrose /forum/post/21509517

We might be able to help if we could understand your problem. "Cannot get the sound working for each component the way it used to" is not a problem which we can solve. Could you describe how you had it connected before and the TV you were using. Then tell us how you have it connected now and why that is not satisfactory. The description should include what output is connected to what input including the connection type such as composite, component, HDMI, analog left/right audio, digital audio optical or coax, and coax RF for example.

Thanks for your reply...regardless of how it was hooked up before on the old TV, im just asking how you would hook-up the components involved using all the same cable types...RCA and HDMI.

Right now i have a red/white coming from the surround receiver going into an RCA "3-way Splitter" then i have the red whites from the splitter going to the components. I have to flip the switch on the splitter box everytime we want to watch and hear a different component DVD or PC

Hope that is a little clearer

Thanks Again

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/21509643

Barring "the way it used to", if I had your components, I would hook everything up as shown in my attached pic. For your Bell receiver, make sure you have it set to send video-only through the hdmi connection, and audio through the optical connection.

Thanks for your reply to my issue.

I will have another look at the cabling this week using your schematics. I do not have or have ever used an optical cable...do you have another wiring plan using my existing RCA wires

Thanks

Ray

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayderz /forum/post/21510283

Thanks for your reply to my issue.

I will have another look at the cabling this week using your schematics. I do not have or have ever used an optical cable...do you have another wiring plan using my existing RCA wires

Thanks

Ray

The only other way I see it is to use the Red/White RCA audio connections between Bell and Receiver. However, this will only net you 2.0 stereo sound. Also, if using HDMI for video out (like my schematic shows), you might not get audio out from the Red/White RCA -- as that output might be tied to Yellow RCA or Component. Try it out and see if it works.

If the above fails, then you'll have to forego HDMI and instead use Component (to TV) and Red/White RCA (to Receiver).

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/21512565

The only other way I see it is to use the Red/White RCA audio connections between Bell and Receiver. However, this will only net you 2.0 stereo sound. Also, if using HDMI for video out (like my schematic shows), you might not get audio out from the Red/White RCA -- as that output might be tied to Yellow RCA or Component. Try it out and see if it works.

If the above fails, then you'll have to forego HDMI and instead use Component (to TV) and Red/White RCA (to Receiver).

None of the suggestions seem to be working properly?

here is where i left off now after trying numerous combinations....

red/white rca from the surround receiver to the bell satellite box---HDMI FROM BELL box TO tv . Surround Sound works perfectly with this hook-up.

Add yellow rca from DVD player to the tv and single wire composite audio cable from dvd digital out plug on the back of dvd player to digital input dvd/dvr location on the back of surround receiver gets me ZERO sound with dvd (picture works--no sound)

if i plug a red/white from dvd player to the same location on back of suurround receiver that i used for the bell hook-up..i get proper sound from DVD player...i cant seem to find proper scheme to have multiple audio hooked up at the same time.

Does this make any sense to you guys...cause im more lost than ever now...LMAO

tHANKS

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrose /forum/post/21509517

we might be able to help if we could understand your problem. "cannot get the sound working for each component the way it used to" is not a problem which we can solve. Could you describe how you had it connected before and the tv you were using. Then tell us how you have it connected now and why that is not satisfactory. The description should include what output is connected to what input including the connection type such as composite, component, hdmi, analog left/right audio, digital audio optical or coax, and coax rf for example.

lol!

#9 ·

Quote:
red/white rca from the surround receiver to the bell satellite box---HDMI FROM BELL box TO tv . Surround Sound works perfectly with this hook-up.

Surround sound will NOT work with just red/white stereo cables. To get 5.1, you need to use either an optical connection, or an hdmi connection, if your receiver has hdmi inputs and outputs.

Quote:
Add yellow rca from DVD player to the tv and single wire composite audio cable from dvd digital out plug on the back of dvd player to digital input dvd/dvr location on the back of surround receiver gets me ZERO sound with dvd (picture works--no sound)

You may just need to "turn on" the digital port on the dvd player.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/21516792

Surround sound will NOT work with just red/white stereo cables. To get 5.1, you need to use either an optical connection, or an hdmi connection, if your receiver has hdmi inputs and outputs.

You may just need to "turn on" the digital port on the dvd player.

There is no turn on function for the digital port...but i figured it out.

With the same wiring set up as i listed above i have to switch the digital input on the surround receiver from tv to dvd when we want to watch and hear a dvd. I dug up the old converter for the surround receiver to do this.

Im guessing this is the procedure we used in the past with the old TV...who nows...i cant remember...i got a bad case of "sometimerz" happening lately.

I'll go with this setup unless someone points me to a better solution

Thanks for all your help

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/21517254

what are you using for video input cables from your equipment to your TV?

I am using a single piece HDMI cable from the Bell satellite receiver to the TV.

Using a 3 wire HD cable red/blue/green from the DVD to the TV Component1

Everything is working okay with me for now...have to use 2 converters to get the job done though...no biggie.

I just hooked up my laptop to stream movies to the TV.

1 single jack going into the laptop and other end of cable has 2 connectors red/white plugged into the red/white ports on the surround receiver. I have to switch the input on the receiver to VCR setting to get sound from the laptop flowing through the surround...works pretty good in my books

There are 2 more red/white ports on the surround receiver still not used...maybe hook up my grandsons X-box or something else for sound..who knows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.