AVS Forum banner

HF-G10 vs XA10, is it worth the price?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve Cebu 
#1 ·
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but is it worth the extra $620 for the xa10 over the g10?

I know you get xlr inputs and infrared, but are their any other benefits you lose by getting the g10? You technically can add xlr with a zoom h4n and get pcm audio. I know you then have to sync audio in post.

What quality is the audio recored at on the xa10?

Thanks,

kent_man

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_man /forum/post/21508833

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but is it worth the extra $620 for the xa10 over the g10?

I know you get xlr inputs and infrared, but are their any other benefits you lose by getting the g10? You technically can add xlr with a zoom h4n and get pcm audio. I know you then have to sync audio in post.

Thanks,

kent_man
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322785

Your answer is in this thread

But a quick answer if you need the xlr inputs and awesome infrared yes it's worth it if you use the stuff. Both cameras are great.

#3 ·
I have read through that thread, but not all 130+ pages.

What I'm asking are there any other features you get besides the xlr inputs, the infrared, and the increase in internal storage capacity?

And at what quality is the audio recorded at through the xlr?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_man /forum/post/21509145

I have read through that thread, but not all 130+ pages.

What I'm asking are there any other features you get besides the xlr inputs, the infrared, and the increase in internal storage capacity?

And at what quality is the audio recorded at through the xlr?

Basically you get nothing in addition to XLR inputs and IR (a gimmick) as well as some extra non-removable storage space.

So if you don't need XLR and you would know if you did. IR is a gimmick! I mean who wants to watch videos shot in IR?

The extra storage would run you $40 for a 32GB Lexar Pro card.

So that's all you get, so to me it's not worth it. There are no other features.

The XA10 is a decent camera but you are paying an awful lot more for those 3 options.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_man /forum/post/21508833

Thanks,

kent_man

Audio recorded on the XA10 is the same as the HF G10 - Dolby AC-3 16bit, 48kHz. Also, keep in mind the XA10 does not have an auto mode for XLR audio. This means you'll have to manually adjust your audio levels while recording... not exactly great in a run-and-gun situation.

I read somewhere that you can't adjust audio levels while recording on the HF G10, but this seems hard to believe. Perhaps someone can chime in on this.

To get PCM audio, you'd have to upgrade to a Canon XF100/105 or Sony NX70u.

The prices of the XA10 & HF G10 are dropping. I think they should've debuted at $1499 for the XA10 & $999 for the HF G10. With new Sony & Panny models coming out, the Canon cams should fall in price even more fairly soon.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearing /forum/post/21515129

Audio recorded on the XA10 is the same as the HF G10 - Dolby AC-3 16bit, 48kHz. Also, keep in mind the XA10 does not have an auto mode for XLR audio. This means you'll have to manually adjust your audio levels while recording... not exactly great in a run-and-gun situation.

The fact that audio is recorded in the same format does not mean it has the same quality. XLR is a balanced connection, 3.5mm jack is unbalanced. Makes a real difference if your cable is longer than a couple of meters.

#9 ·
If you're looking for a camcorder to use for home video use only, go for the G10. I have one and just got done shooting for 2.5 weeks on my mini vacation to visit relatives and boy am I impressed with the results from this camcorder. The video at the highest setting looks simply stunning (shot at a shutter speed no lower than 1/60). I did a ton of panning and the motion is perfectly smooth each time.

If you need all that XLR stuff for pro use, then I cant speak to that, but if this is just for shooting home movies and stuff, you CANT go wrong with the G10. In fact, get the G10 and get Canon's wide angle lens attachment and you'd still come out cheaper (its really great for shooting in small rooms.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/21521982

The fact that audio is recorded in the same format does not mean it has the same quality. XLR is a balanced connection, 3.5mm jack is unbalanced. Makes a real difference if your cable is longer than a couple of meters.

I'm sure you would notice a little difference in audio, but you're still limited by the codec. I think AC-3 is fine in most circumstances, but some say there's quite a noticeable difference compared to uncompressed pcm audio.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/21520491

You can adjust the audio on the HF G10. I know because I have one.

Spearing, what model do you have?

Ah, okay. I'm sure we would've heard a lot of complaints by now if the HF G10 didn't allow manual control of the audio levels while recording. It was just something I read in a review. As for the cam, I don't currently own an HF G10, but did have an XA10 for about 2 weeks before I returned it.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearing /forum/post/21560027

Ah, okay. I'm sure we would've heard a lot of complaints by now if the HF G10 didn't allow manual control of the audio levels while recording. It was just something I read in a review. As for the cam, I don't currently own an HF G10, but did have an XA10 for about 2 weeks before I returned it.

You could have tested the audio levels then.

Actually I rarely change my audio levels. I know it can be done, but for my purposes it's generally fine on auto.

Exceptions are too close to source, so I lower it or it's excessively windy so I lower it.

For general use auto is ok, not great but it works well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.