AVS Forum banner

Indiana Jones Trilogy

114K views 1K replies 197 participants last post by  JKR1963 
#1 ·
#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/21554582

Right but hours later, and no one else? Really?

I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting...other sites to regurgitate the same information from the same source?

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/21555037

I'll watch the second but even when I was young, seeing the movies first run, Kate Capshaw and Short Round were literally unbearable. Not sure I want those images back in my head...took so long to recover...

Ha... I totally agree with that sentiment!

I don't care how many movies they throw in to this box set; RAIDERS is my all-time favorite. I bought the dvd boxed set in 2003 and instantly sold the two sequels back to Amoeba Records in Hollywood... and I'll probably do the same here.

But RAIDERS... I was the perfect age (10 years old) when it came out in 1981, and it inspired me to write screenplays and shoot Super-8 movies with my brother. Now I'm a professional feature-film cinematographer in Los Angeles. I gotta say... I've been inspired by a lot of movies over the years, but RAIDERS is the one flick that if you plucked it out of existence, I'm not sure what I'd be doing with my life.

Cannot wait! (Just hope they don't replace old optical effects with CG; I'd have to stick with the dvd if that were the case!)

#35 ·
#36 ·
And here I purposely held off buying "Crystal" in hope that there would be a quad pack at some point on Blu. Not that I really want that film as it was the weakest of the four, but it is still an Indi adventure and I'd own it based on that alone.

I decided to re-visit my DVD trilogy box set and must admit, I actually enjoyed TOD.

Raiders is a classic. It is a stand alone film the reason I even bought the over priced box set of DVDs back in 03 or when ever it came out.

I went to see TOD at the cinema and hated it so much, I even boycotted the third film, so I only got to see LC on video. I regret not having seen that one on the big screen as I think it an awesome film.

Skull, well it is what it is and even when I rented it, I was not overly impressed.

Just my $0.02 worth.

#39 ·
It's been so long since I've seen these movies. I can't wait to have an Indy marathon.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/21555220

Spielberg has apparently disavowed the "tinkering". Still, one wonders which version of this shot will be used...

I saw the new 4K restoration a couple of weeks ago. The only change to the film is that the reflection of the cobra in the glass has been erased, as it was for the DVDs. The sound mix was new, as well.

#44 ·
at least in terms of the overall consistent entertainment factor. Plenty of action, humor, some romance. Also in Raiders and Crusade, some spiritual themes. I have the DVDs, but may pick this set up if the quality is good and the price is right. Only saw Skull in the theatre but should probably revisit it sometime.

Hopefully Paramount won't mess this up like they did with the classic Trek films.

#46 ·
Considering the history of this series on DVD, I'm really hoping but not at all holding my breath that we may get individual releases some day. I like Raiders, but the rest of 'em can suck rocks.

#47 ·

Quote:

Spielberg has apparently disavowed the "tinkering". Still, one wonders which version of this shot will be used...

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4758/indy19old.png
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5998/indy19new.png

Descriptors are off on that. The "Indy old" is the newer digital composite with real desert background (the car & soldiers are the original, just recomposited). The "Indy new" is the old composite with the matte painting and the matte lines.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX /forum/post/21557473

Descriptors are off on that. The "Indy old" is the newer digital composite with real desert background (the car & soldiers are the original, just recomposited). The "Indy new" is the old composite with the matte painting and the matte lines.

The descriptors aren't really "off"- they reverted to the original matte painting in the most recent version.

I guess the descriptors might best be: "old/new" and "middle".

#49 ·

Quote:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4758/indy19old.png
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5998/indy19new.png

That shot was never supposed to be released. It was done, Spielberg found out about it and then killed it. However, the master was accidentally sent out for the TV broadcast. It should never be seen again.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk /forum/post/21557928

That shot was never supposed to be released. It was done, Spielberg found out about it and then killed it. However, the master was accidentally sent out for the TV broadcast. It should never be seen again.

Too bad, since in a way it's more "real" than the other version, using an actual desert background rather than a blurry matte painting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.