AVS Forum banner

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon

110K views 576 replies 120 participants last post by  prince.nothing 
#1 ·
Monoprice seems to be listing some new types of screen.

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10829

Including:

Grey, as well as white.

Tab tensioned, motorised screens

Ceiling recessed versions of all motorised screens

Fixed screens with velvet borders

2.35:1 screens

Multi-format (16:9, 2.35:1) screens

Screens up to 150" diagonal

Details are sparse, with descriptions largely being copy-pastes of other screen descriptions, so that even fixed screens are mentioned as being electric. We'll see how these screens pan out, I suppose.

Prices are reasonable, especially for tab-tensioned electric screens and huge dual-format screens. Not quite sure what the dual format screen comprises - motorised masking panels, perhaps?

See less See more
#402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr /forum/post/21505784

Sorry if I missed this BUT, if you have a light controlled room, I'd go with the white!!!

Actually the reason I was considering grey is because I will be using this in my living room with a super bright 2800 lumen projector. I don't have dark walls and I think the grey may help with lowering my black levels. I was curious about the look of it because I haven't seen any pics yet.

Have you noticed any banding on the white screen as others have noticed? Thanks!

#403 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 /forum/post/21506539

Actually the reason I was considering grey is because I will be using this in my living room with a super bright 2800 lumen projector. I don't have dark walls and I think the grey may help with lowering my black levels. I was curious about the look of it because I haven't seen any pics yet.

Have you noticed any banding on the white screen as others have noticed? Thanks!

Nope, I love mine!

#404 ·

Quote:

I have to admit that I have noticed banding on my 130" 2.35:1 fixed frame white screen. It's only with very bright scenes and only when the contrast/color mix makes it happen... I admit that it is quite frustrating to not have a perfect picture, but the problem only rears its ugly head occasionally...

#405 ·

Quote:

Scroll back through the thread and look for posts and photos from NathanR, I believe he got the grey screen,

#406 ·
I have a contact at Monoprice that can send you screen fabric samples. Send me a PM if you want the info.

#407 ·
My 133 motorized tab tension screen came in last week. I havent' got a chance to open it. The end of the box is damage but looks like it was the mount was there and it's ok. It was delivered by UPS 18 wheeler. don't know how he made in the neighborhood.

Anyways, I'm thinking about installing a flat led 60in screen behind the screen. Do you think there is enough room for it? Or the projector screen will hit it?

#408 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy09sc /forum/post/21517976

My 133 motorized tab tension screen came in last week. I havent' got a chance to open it. The end of the box is damage but looks like it was the mount was there and it's ok. It was delivered by UPS 18 wheeler. don't know how he made in the neighborhood.

Anyways, I'm thinking about installing a flat led 60in screen behind the screen. Do you think there is enough room for it? Or the projector screen will hit it?

I don't ahve your screen... but if clearance becomes an issues, just mount a 2 x 4 FIRST to your wall and then mount your screen to that. will give you more clearance.

#409 ·
This may be a bit off-topic for this thread, but I thought I'd put it here for completeness.

My 133" tab tensioned monoprice screen was picked up yesterday (RMA'd because of the waves that couldn't be removed).

As luck would have it, my DaLite 133" cinema vision was delivered the same day. I hung it last night and thought I would give some comparisons.

#1) The monoprice screens absolutely WIN when it comes to the mounting bracket. The fact that they use the same bracket for ceiling or wall, and that the bracket basically reaches out and grabs the screen making installation a breeze should not be lost on anyone. Of course, you pretty much do this once or twice and never again. The DaLite ceiling mount is a royal PITA. You have to basically get someone (or a bunch of people) to hold it up to the ceiling while you drive the anchors in (after marking and pre-drilling holes). Because of this, I used the wall mount...which at LEAST lets you mount it (the bracket) to the wall without having to hold the entire thing up in the air while you are doing it. Once up, it wasn't anywhere near as easy to get the screen onto the bracket. But, once it was there, it was fine.

#2) The monoprice screen comes with IR remote (this is extra for the DaLite)

#3) The monoprice screen comes with projector control (if the projector has an output, it can control the screen up/down) (this is extra for the DaLite)

#4) The DaLite screen comes with a wall switch for up/down/stop (that doesn't HAVE to be used if you pay up for some other control like the ones listed above)

#5) The monoprice screen comes with a captive power cord that needs to be plugged into an outlet. The DaLite gets hardwired. For me, the DaLite is the better choice here, since it means I don't have to figure out how to hide the power cord, and have a code-compliant outlet to plug it into.

#6) The motor on the DaLite is slightly quieter than the monoprice "somphy" motor. (And I didn't get the DaLite "silent" motor)

#7) The case is a bit nicer on the DaLite (textured, not smooth black) [just MHO]

#8) The DaLite screen material is ever so slightly thicker than the monoprice material. It also doesn't smell like a pool toy, thought it may have a slight scent of it's own. Hard for me to tell since insulation was installed the same day, and that certainly has a scent to it...

#9) The tensioning system on the DaLite is quite a bit more substantial than on the monoprice screen.

#10) Lastly, the DaLite screen is actually flat. ;-)

All that being said, it was nearly twice the price! So, if you get a good one, or you can be satisfied with some waves, the monoprice screen is a bargain. I just wasn't willing to settle after investing over 10K in theater equipment. The other thing I gained here was some "gain" in screen material. Monoprice only offers 1.0, and, by going with DaLite, I was able to get the 1.3 that I really wanted.

-Kevin

#411 ·
I would like to see a video of the tab tension monoprice and some pictures too!

#412 ·
With respect to the multiformat screen:

Does anyone have experience to know whether warming the screen material causes it to shrink or stretch? The wrinkles in the middle are still annoying me. I was thinking of gently warming it with a hair dryer in hopes it would shrink and tighten, but I am afraid I could end up making it worse.

#413 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman /forum/post/21600136

With respect to the multiformat screen:

Does anyone have experience to know whether warming the screen material causes it to shrink or stretch? The wrinkles in the middle are still annoying me. I was thinking of gently warming it with a hair dryer in hopes it would shrink and tighten, but I am afraid I could end up making it worse.

Are you sure you aren't seeing bading on your screen and not wrinkles? It would be odd to have wrinkles in the middle of a screen that is tensioned. I have the 133" grey monoprice screen and banding is a bit of an issue. They are vertical bands and seem to worsen where you would typically see a hotspot (the reflection of the projector).

#414 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 /forum/post/21600944

Are you sure you aren't seeing bading on your screen and not wrinkles? It would be odd to have wrinkles in the middle of a screen that is tensioned. I have the 133" grey monoprice screen and banding is a bit of an issue. They are vertical bands and seem to worsen where you would typically see a hotspot (the reflection of the projector).

Well, not 100% certain. I had described it as banding earlier, but the more I had looked at it from the side, the more I think it is the result of inadequate tension in the material across the horizontal width of the screen.

#415 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman /forum/post/21601400

Well, not 100% certain. I had described it as banding earlier, but the more I had looked at it from the side, the more I think it is the result of inadequate tension in the material across the horizontal width of the screen.

I contacted my rep at monoprice to see what he says about the imperfections. If I can get them to send me a white screen material and compare I will do that and let you know. As far as taking a hair dryer to it, I would imagine that throwing hear at it would make it expand and create less tension.

#416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R /forum/post/20735967

I'm still overall very happy with the setup.

The screen itself has some imperfections in it. There are some bands vertical bands that will show up on bright white scenes. These are in the fabric itself, although I thought at first they were from the screen being rolled up in a box for God knows how long. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, but again, I only see them occasionally in bright all-white images. They're not nearly as noticeable as the hotspots my old Da-Lite HCCV or pearlescent screens had, and I can't photograph them, so I consider them to be an acceptable momentary hiccup.

Otherwise, the frame continues to impress me with its build quality. I think the frame alone would have been worth the price I paid.

The masking mechanism is holding up incredibly well. I spend a good amount of time in the theater with the family, constantly moving to different aspect ratios for material, and the panel movement is still fluid and stress-free.

The panels are as black as night and absorb every bit of light thrown at them. The little latch is undetectable, as well, in darkness.

Hope this helps a bit.

I just put up my fixed grey monoscreens screen and my self as well as others have noticed the same banding issue as you. It appears to me like imperfections as you stated but is it possible that there isn't enough horizontal tension and were seeing small waves. I just did a test and when I have my side windows in the room fully open the bands appear to get worse, indicating that what I'm seeing is are in fact waves. BTW, they do run almost the entire length of the screen from top to bottom and most of the horizontal width. For me they're fairly easily visible on a lot of scenes and not just all white backgrounds.

Let us know if you have come up with any solutions short of getting a new screen.

I do love the frame though!

#417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 /forum/post/21605297

I contacted my rep at monoprice to see what he says about the imperfections. If I can get them to send me a white screen material and compare I will do that and let you know. As far as taking a hair dryer to it, I would imagine that throwing hear at it would make it expand and create less tension.

I have already been through that exercise with Monoprice. They know zero about the screens and how to deal with the problem. They are buying these from some factory in china. They did not design or manufacture the screens and they seem to have not made any real effort to familiarize themselves with the product. They have no specs beyond what the factory has given them. If there is a problem they give you the ability to return it - that is all. No support and no parts, etc. But, that is the price we pay to get these screens at rock bottom prices.

#419 ·
Just picked up the Only two 106" grey Multi-Format screens available. I was notified on the 7th that they were back in stock, after ordering I checked the email again and saw they only had two instock! wow guess I was lucky or early. Anyways picked it up just today and word of warning, these things are much larger than I expected, even after hearing they how large they were.

Here is a pic of my friend next to it and our "almost not big enough" van to fit it

If I have time, ill set it up tonight!

#420 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by celedral /forum/post/21618173

Just picked up the Only two 106" grey Multi-Format screens available. I was notified on the 7th that they were back in stock, after ordering I checked the email again and saw they only had two instock! wow guess I was lucky or early. Anyways picked it up just today and word of warning, these things are much larger than I expected, even after hearing they how large they were.

Here is a pic of my friend next to it and our "almost not big enough" van to fit it

If I have time, ill set it up tonight!

I'm interested in hearing your opinion of the grey screen. I and others have noticed some vertical banding and I would be curious to see if you have any of the same experience.

#421 ·
AFAIK - nobody has had that issue on the 106". My theory is that they use the same tension springs for all of them. On the 106, the tension is adequate, but on some of the larger it may not be enough. I am open to other theories, but that one makes the most sense to me so far.

#422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman /forum/post/0

AFAIK - nobody has had that issue on the 106". My theory is that they use the same tension springs for all of them. On the 106, the tension is adequate, but on some of the larger it may not be enough. I am open to other theories, but that one makes the most sense to me so far.

Interesting. I have the fixed 133" 16:9 and it didn't have any springs at all. Just rods and the tabs that the screen hooks to.

#426 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo85281 /forum/post/21622885

I'm interested in hearing your opinion of the grey screen. I and others have noticed some vertical banding and I would be curious to see if you have any of the same experience.

I have not noticed any banding yet, but the screen itself is quite nice. It's light grey and does seem to improve the contrast just a slight bit, have in mind that its on the floor at the moment and not mounted. I'm currently running it with the Optoma Hd33 and so far images look great. The biggest issue I have is my box did not include the top and bottom mounting plate, so now i have no way to hang it up, unless I find something similar at home depot. Well I'll call monoprice tomorrow and see what they can do about it

I highly doubt they would be able to ship me that bracket due to the fact these screens go out of stock pretty often and next delivery date is March 26

Will post further details once I get the screen up and working right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.