AVS Forum banner

Official NAD T 757 AV Upgradeable Surround Sound Receiver Thread

Tags
nad
94K views 348 replies 79 participants last post by  toddsdonald 
#1 ·
I'm excited about the release of this new receiver and hoping to get owners' input on their experiences. One of its most notable features at its price point is the ability to essentially swap out the preamp as new technology arrives, e.g. HDMI 1.5 or 2.0.

As is customary with NAD, they disclose power output with all channels driven simultaneously, unlike most manufacturers. So you have to mentally "bump up" their figures to compare with a Denon or an Onkyo.

One notable omission I believe is Audyssey technology in the form of MultEQ flavors, Dynamic EQ, or Dynamic Volume -- someone please verify.

Here are some specs:

AMPLIFIER SECTION T 757

FTC 7 x 120W

Full Disclosure Power (all channels driven simultaneously) 7 x 60W (0.05% THD, 20-20kHz)

IHF Dynamic Power 8 ohms

4 ohms

137W

243W

Total Harmonic Distortion at rated power 100dB (ref. rated power at 8 ohms, A-WTD)

>90dB (ref. 1W at 8ohms, A-WTD)
TUNER SECTION

AM SECTION

Tuning Range 530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version, 10kHz steps)

531kHz - 1620kHz (230V version, 9kHz steps)

Usable Sensitivity 30dBμV

Signal/Noise Ratio 38dB

Total Harmonic Distortion

See less See more
#2 ·
I think its the replacement for the T747. If it is it has a very basic Eq program. It is also one of NAD's MDC designs, the 747 was not. However realize that those replacement cards are not cheap by any means. Some of them can cost as much as a new AVR. Check out the prices for one of these MDC's on the 775/785 threads.

#3 ·
^^^^

Yes, it has similar power output to the 747 with newer HDMI support, MDC design, and I believe unaltered HDMI video pass-through unlike the 747 (a common complaint).

In a cursory search (NAD doesn't seem to post MSRPs for their modules), I don't see any MDC's at the original cost of the AVR. The highest price I've seen is

#5 ·
Hello,

Just wanted to say that I have owned the NAD T 757 for about a month. First though, I wanted to say that my previous AVR was a Harmon Kardon AVR135 rated at 40 watts per channel, 50 watts into 2 channels. rated at plus/minus 25 amps (amperes). I had used the HK since 2005 and was happy with the warm sound it produced and the good bass. No HDMI output so optical and composite were used. It is always a risk when you move from a brand you like to one you are not that familiar with but have heard good reviews about. Moving onto the NAD:

Retails for about $1,600 but got it for $1,499. My first impression after hooking it up compared to my HK was the decrease in bass. I know it is rated at 60 watts continuous per channel but for the big price this was a big disappointment. I did audition the 747 at a stereo store as they had not set up the 757 yet. Sounded good but every set up is different. Besides the bass the overall quality of sound on the NAD is very good, again not as warm as my HK, but I did have the treble in the menu cranked all the way so assuming that I lowered it, would not be as bright. Bass was cranked all the way up in the NAD menu. I used Terminator Salvation on blu ray to compare the sound with my HK which produced good bass, not so on the NAD. Overall sound quality was more defined, detailed and cleaner with the NAD. Music again lacking in bass on the NAD but the sound was more defined, detailed and clean with the NAD compared to my HK. I am not an expert, so this is just my opinion. Overall I would give the nad 3.5 to 4 out of 5. I have seen an online review give it 4 out of 5 but the lack of bass dropped my rating, otherwise a five. Good tight solid bass is important to me so I have ordered a power amplifer to hook up to the NAD, to hopefully do the trick. If you don't use or have a power amplifier and buy the NAD T 757 I would definitely recommend you use a sub with it.

#6 ·
@ akk akk,

thanks for the review, i'm also keen on the T757.

Could you better explain about the lack of Bass ?

Are you trying to say that another avr or say your older HK had more Bass without the use of a subwoofer ? Would the lack of Bass matter or bother someone who already has a subwoofer in a 5.1 setup ?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/21173910

@ akk akk,

thanks for the review, i'm also keen on the T757.

Could you better explain about the lack of Bass ?

Are you trying to say that another avr or say your older HK had more Bass without the use of a subwoofer ? Would the lack of Bass matter or bother someone who already has a subwoofer in a 5.1 setup ?

Basically my older HK was putting out better bass without a sub than the NAD. For instance on blue ray, Terminator Salvation, the part where conner has crashed the helicopter and crawls back to the heavy machine gun to fire on the terminator, my HK produced good heavy machine gun thudding. On the NAD with the same scene the machine gun lacked that same punch. I could tell the difference. Same with my music comparisons with bass on CD. I have never used a sub, but would assume that a sub would make up for the lack of bass on the NAD, therefore you would not notice it and would be fine. It has bass but not really good solid feel good bass on my system. Again everyone's set up is different. Hoped that help. The 757 does have really good sound though. Listened to the Avatar Soundtrack on cd, and the detail in the music was more prevalent than my HK.

#9 ·
akk akk - before running your tests, did you calibrate your unit? The room correction software and the setup on the T747 was very buggy and produced bad results. I owned a T747 for a few weeks and ended up returning it not because it was bad but because I wanted something better - I now have a T775HD (got a killer deal - $1299).

With the T747, I was able to hear better music and sound without the EQ. Also, for calibration, I used manual method. I measured the distance and punched those values in. I used a calibration DVD such as Video Essentials and also AIX Audio Calibration disks to level match every channel as well as the sub woofer. I used both Large speakers and small speakers crossed at 80Hz or so. Once I saved these values, I saved them to a preset and then assigned this preset to one or more sources. Make sure you do all this and test it again. I also owned a HK AVR 745 (flagship) for four years and I did side by side comparison between it and the NAD T747 and would say the NAD had slightly better bass. I highly doubt that the lower end HK you had could match or beat the T757. I currently have three NAD receivers (NAD T744, T763 and T775) and love them all.

I would say other than the MDC, the T757 reads very much like the T747. So many of the issues and techniques I pointed out for the T747 are going to be true with the T757. Also, I think NAD made a big mistake by putting undefeatable video scaling in the T747. I would rather have unmolested video. The T775HD has no video processing - just pass through and I guess they learned their lesson and are using the same method for the T757. Only their VM200 has a scaler in it (only the T175HD preamp and T785 come with this). Since I only deal with HD sources, I don't care for any scalers.

One more thing though - I would still get the T775HD2 over the T757. I have seen the T775HD2 for $1999 online. I am glad I got my T775HD for $1299. 100WPC full disclosure power with 180WPC FTC power and toroidal power supply, Audyssey MultiEQ XT, etc. add up!

#10 ·
Hi Bommai

Since you have owned multiple NAD Receivers:

1. Would you clasify T757 as warm or neutral or bright sounding receiver?

2. I can get a Denon 3312 for half its price. In your opinion is it worth to spend extra on NAD receiver than something like Denon ore marantz?

Please suggest.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk akk /forum/post/21161125

Hello,

Just wanted to say that I have owned the NAD T 757 for about a month. First though, I wanted to say that my previous AVR was a Harmon Kardon AVR135 rated at 40 watts per channel, 50 watts into 2 channels. rated at plus/minus 25 amps (amperes). I had used the HK since 2005 and was happy with the warm sound it produced and the good bass. No HDMI output so optical and composite were used. It is always a risk when you move from a brand you like to one you are not that familiar with but have heard good reviews about. Moving onto the NAD:

Retails for about $1,600 but got it for $1,499. My first impression after hooking it up compared to my HK was the decrease in bass. I know it is rated at 60 watts continuous per channel but for the big price this was a big disappointment. I did audition the 747 at a stereo store as they had not set up the 757 yet. Sounded good but every set up is different. Besides the bass the overall quality of sound on the NAD is very good, again not as warm as my HK, but I did have the treble in the menu cranked all the way so assuming that I lowered it, would not be as bright. Bass was cranked all the way up in the NAD menu. I used Terminator Salvation on blu ray to compare the sound with my HK which produced good bass, not so on the NAD. Overall sound quality was more defined, detailed and cleaner with the NAD. Music again lacking in bass on the NAD but the sound was more defined, detailed and clean with the NAD compared to my HK. I am not an expert, so this is just my opinion. Overall I would give the nad 3.5 to 4 out of 5. I have seen an online review give it 4 out of 5 but the lack of bass dropped my rating, otherwise a five. Good tight solid bass is important to me so I have ordered a power amplifer to hook up to the NAD, to hopefully do the trick. If you don't use or have a power amplifier and buy the NAD T 757 I would definitely recommend you use a sub with it.

I own the T747 and while I love the sound, its handling of digital signals has been utterly disastrous for me.

Can you tell me if the T757 can maintain a lock during digital silence? The T747 often clips the openings of individual tracks via optical, coaxial and HDMI.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfingers /forum/post/21237438

I own the T747 and while I love the sound, its handling of digital signals has been utterly disastrous for me.

Can you tell me if the T757 can maintain a lock during digital silence? The T747 often clips the openings of individual tracks via optical, coaxial and HDMI.

I would be interested in that information too since my T775HD has the same problem at the beginning of tracks that have 44.1 or 48kHz sample rate. However 88.2 and 96 and 176.4 and 192kHz are fine! Weird huh.

Ladyfingers can you check if your T747 clips the beginning of a song if you use 88.2 or 96kHz sample rate. If you are using a PC/Mac for this, it is easy, just change the sample rate on your PC's audio card or on the Mac - in Audio Midi setup - to 96kHz or 88.2 (if allowed).

#13 ·
oh my god...!!! i demoed the T757 today with a PSB Image 5.1 setup and all i can say is WOW..!!!

The T757 is the real deal. I have never heard any AVR which sounded better than this. It was dynamic, detailed, punchy and yet maintained a smooth sound signature which was easy on the ears. I totally loved it.

Outstanding...!!!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/21250581

oh my god...!!! i demoed the T757 today with a PSB Image 5.1 setup and all i can say is WOW..!!!

The T757 is the real deal. I have never heard any AVR which sounded better than this. It was dynamic, detailed, punchy and yet maintained a smooth sound signature which was easy on the ears. I totally loved it.

Outstanding...!!!

I'm a big fan of PSB speakers, very nice. PSB and NAD are now owned by the same parent company.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfingers /forum/post/21237438

I have not had issues with songs being clipped when opening. My cd player use optical. Best to go in store with you own cd and and demo it with a T-757.

Bommai, I stand by my statement regarding the difference in bass from my old HK and T-757. I never said the sound/or my HK was better than the T-757, just the bass was a little less on the T-757 through my tower speakers. Other speakers will sound different.

#16 ·
any more owners of the T757 out there ...?

I'm so badly confused between the T757, Yamaha A3010 and the Pioneer SC LX 57.

Can't find a place to demo all 3 together with the same set if speakers. I was able to demo the Yamaha and Pioneer at Bestbuy.

Any know of a place where I can demo all 3 ?

#18 ·
I've had my T757 for a few months now and am quite happy with it so far. Upgraded from an 11 year old Sony DA333ES in order to get HDMI functionality, the latest HD sound formats and of course to get that fabled NAD sound. Others may laugh about comparing to a Sony receiver...the improvement in going to the NAD was definitely noticeable and welcomed, but not really night and day. But you have to keep in mind that Sony weighs about the same as this NAD and had a huge power supply. Where I really notice the difference is the much wider soundstage. I can close my eyes and feel like I'm sitting in a much bigger room with the music coming from farther back than it really is.

I also had a problem with bass for awhile. With my old Sony I had tried several time to adjust the phase knob on my sub with absolutely no discernable difference and hence had come to believe that it made no difference. Well, everything sounded great with the NAD except the bass, it was noticeably weak. I could turn up the volume but then the music would sound muddy and bass heavy. Finally I had my wife adjust the phase knob one evening and voila I had my nice sounding bass back.

Just an FYI to my comments above, I'm running Ascend Accoustics Sierra 1 satelites and an SVS PB13-Ultra with great results.

I can't comment on comparing to other current receivers. All I know is that I wanted focus on the sound quality over all the networking and gimmicky features. Those can be had in your bluray player or TV nowadays.

#19 ·
One big improvement in the T757 from the specs is the lack of video scaler mucking up your video, framerate, etc. No scaler anymore - which I like. That was one of the reasons I returned my T747 and bought a T775HD. The T775HD does not have a scaler either. The top end T787 and T187 don't have a scaler anymore either. NAD has realized scalers are more trouble than worth.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/21603832

i'm almost ready to buy the T757...
Can owners share any known problems/reliability issues ?

Thanks

I had an HDMI cable issue at first that caused random video/audio dropouts and caused the receiver to be unable to play the HD audio formats for whatever reason...using a high speed cable from the bluray to the receiver and then a older non-high speed HDMI cable from the receiver to TV. Upgraded the older cable and problem was resolved.

The only other unresolved issue I have (pretty minor to me) is that every bluray I watch will lose the video and audio for a second or two somewhere about 5 minutes into the movie. Every movie is doing it and it only happens once. It's almost like the bluray player and reciever had a gentlemen's agreement to work together and then decide, 'ok, this is going to last longer' and formally handshake. If anyone knows what is causing this or solutions I would love to hear it!!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombus7 /forum/post/21608454

I had an HDMI cable issue at first that caused random video/audio dropouts and caused the receiver to be unable to play the HD audio formats for whatever reason...using a high speed cable from the bluray to the receiver and then a older non-high speed HDMI cable from the receiver to TV. Upgraded the older cable and problem was resolved.

The only other unresolved issue I have (pretty minor to me) is that every bluray I watch will lose the video and audio for a second or two somewhere about 5 minutes into the movie. Every movie is doing it and it only happens once. It's almost like the bluray player and reciever had a gentlemen's agreement to work together and then decide, 'ok, this is going to last longer' and formally handshake. If anyone knows what is causing this or solutions I would love to hear it!!

I had same problem but with video cutting out on blu ray and only audio playing. If I clicked on the remote back to t.v. then back to blu ray the picture would return. I replaced my HDMI Cable, got a high speed from Monoprice and hooked it up. Well, same issue happened again for a bout a second, but not again so far. I noticed that the hdmi connection on the NAD are not as snug as they could be with the cables. Tends to pull out at the top a tiny bit, so was wondering if that might be the reason. Before I bought my new HDMI cable, I propped up the blu ray cable on the back of the NAD with a small plastic bottle so it would not droop a bit so to speak. That seemed to help. Or it could be an internal problem in the receiver?? Time will tell.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/0

thanks guys, so once i get the T757 i intend to add a AM200 MDC module to get the MultiEQ XT.

Has anyone T757 owner added this ? Would it be worth it ?

Back last summer the T775HD were on close out at $1299. I got one and it sounds awesome. Way more power than the 747/757 and already came with am200. I am not sure if you will find a good deal on the 775 still but that might be a better option for you. Also I don't know if the 757 is compatible with am200.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/0

thanks guys, so once i get the T757 i intend to add a AM200 MDC module to get the MultiEQ XT.

Has anyone T757 owner added this ? Would it be worth it ?

The pictures I've seen of the back of the 757 indicate it already has the AM200 yet it clearly does not have MultiEQ XT. I always wondered if adding that module to the 765 would upgrade the Audyssey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.