AVS Forum banner

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread

178K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  Akane47 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to maintain this thread for the current,new and potential AIOS owners, I am aasoror from Canadian RFD, Patriot PBO forums, PBO wiki, Pivos forums and AIOS wiki.

I know there is already an existing thread for the AIOS, but it was more of a question thread than a product discussion (not to mention that I needed access to the OP to be able to maintain the thread properly).

So here we go,

If people feel happy paying $80 for WDTV Live+, just check what you are missing here: BR ISO support with MENUs (non Java menus only), web browser support HTML5, HD-Audio downmix and pass-through, internal 3.5" HDD support, Gigabit, LCD screen, USB 3.0

Product Features

The AIOS HD Media Center is a robust networked media center supports Full-1080p HD media playback featuring a superior multi-format video and audio codec including AVI, MKV, TS, TP, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RMVB, FLV, XVID, DIVX, and most popular formats.

With a full range of video & audio outputs, the AIOS HD Media Center can connect to your TV or your receivers to enjoy crisp 1080p videos and surreal surround sound supporting DTS Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby?Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby?Digital plus 7.1, Dolby? TrueHD 7.1, AAC 7.1.

Support upto 4TB internal HDD with hot-plug drive system, built in SDHC/ MMC/MS Pro flash card reader and the latest USB 3.0 controller, the AIOS HD Media Center supports content playback from network storage, attached USB storage, flash storage, digital cameras, digital camcorder and etc.

Intuitive user interface allows user check hardware status such as network connectivity, wifi signal, hard drive capacity and other functions. Newly introduced file browser supports functions such as movie wall, video thumbnails, photo slides, music players, and various customized playlist and photo album functions.

Based on latest Gigabit network technology and optional 802.11n, AIOS HD Media Center can let you easily access the premium functions such as PC-Less P2P downloads, your favorite apps such as Google Talk messenger, Youtube, Picasa, Flickr, Shoutcast, Video Pod Cast, and hundreds of internet video & audio contents. The best yet, we¡¯ve throw in the latest HTML5 web browser into the mix which can allow you surf the web at your heart¡¯s content.

Technical Details

Gigabit Network Ready

DTS, Dolby True HD, 5.1/ 7.1 surround

SATA HDD ready, Optional 802.11n wifi

Built in HTML 5 Web Broswer

The following N-adapters are compatible with the AIOS:

- PTGNANUSB Pivos

- AWLL6075 Airlink101

- AWLL5077 Airlink101

- Patriot PCBOWAU2-N

- DLINK DWA-130 HW version E1

- DLINK DWA-131

- Rokland's

- Zonet ZEW2546

- dealextreme branded (2R1T)

- dealextreme branded (1R1T)

- monoprice branded

- meritline branded

- TEW-648UB (Rev 1.0)

- TEW-649UB (Rev 1.0)

- Asus USB-N10

- Belkin F5D8053 (v. 5000/6000)

The following wireless Realtek chipsets are compatible with the AIOS (11N8709, RTL8187 and RTL8191SU)

See less See more
#127 ·
actually i find this product extremely buggy:

-It has a poor interface,

-the remote or actually the IR receptor in the aios is faulty making the control of the unit infuriating

-the unit has very slow transfer rates between the AIOS HDD and other HDD on samba or other protocols (my AIOS is hooked via LAN 1000)

-browsing internet is relatively slow and most videos are no go (facebook video for example)

-the unit reboots randomly when transferring large files from or into the internal HDD

-the BT client is buggy (some files can't be downloaded others crash the unit)

-ftp didn't work for me, it is asking me for a password! and it is not 123

-you can't access the HDD outside the network (not necessarily the goal of the unit though, but it would be good to access your database when your not at home).

-the time on the LCD keeps going back to GMT randomly after restarts.

Anyway...there is some other bugs but I have forgotten them, the only good stuff is related to the main job of this unit which is that anything I threw on it, it played it (other than FLV!). The screen size was an issue sometimes, but I could fix that through the TV.

Anyway, I wont return this unit (too much hassle now that I got a 3 T HDD), but I should have saved the $230 (with HDD), waited a bit and built myself an HTPC.

#128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanone /forum/post/21592733

-the remote or actually the IR receptor in the aios is faulty making the control of the unit infuriating

-the unit has very slow transfer rates between the AIOS HDD and other HDD on samba or other protocols (my AIOS is hooked via LAN 1000)

-browsing internet is relatively slow and most videos are no go (facebook video for example)

-the unit reboots randomly when transferring large files from or into the internal HDD

-you can't access the HDD outside the network (not necessarily the goal of the unit though, but it would be good to access your database when your not at home).

Anyway...there is some other bugs but I have forgotten them, the only good stuff is related to the main job of this unit which is that anything I threw on it, it played it (other than FLV!). The screen size was an issue sometimes, but I could fix that through the TV.

Anyway, I wont return this unit (too much hassle now that I got a 3 T HDD), but I should have saved the $230 (with HDD), waited a bit and built myself an HTPC.

That sucks that you are not happy with this player. I never tested all the features that the AIOS offers so I can't tell you if they work or not.

I don't like putting internal HDD to any of my media players. I think it is a waste of storage doing that. Furthermore, the transferring speeds are so slow that is not even worth it. Instead, I shares all my media throughout the house, and I've found that to be best.

I can tell you this, I didn't spec for AIOS to be much of anything when I got it since I only paid $89.99 for it. However, I was very surprised when I was able to access all my shares, and it played every file I threw at it without issues. I was even more surprise and satisfied when I was able to set up the jukebox with Aasoror's help. I was more surprised and satisfied when my wife and kids were able to use it without asking me for help.

I was even more surprised when I found out that I could use ThumbGen for my AIOS and Mede8er for jukebox.

If you are not satisfied with the AIOS, I would suggest selling it. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to sell it rather than keeping it and being unhappy owne

#129 ·
I don't like the very slow network transfers and nobody else does either and a few of it's quirks are irritating but I wasn't expecting a lot when I heard about this player here so when I got a chance to get one for almost no money out of pocket I jumped on it and glad I did even with the quirks.

The main thing for me is it plays everything I throw at it and has much better chapter and navigation then MY WDTV Live has.

I have found out that the Live and the Aios will happily coexist on my network and the Aios picks up the USB drives on the network that are plugged into the Live. it can play MOST files nicely, though sometimes my ISO files lag, everything else is smooth, and I can always just plug the drive with the ISO files into the Aios if it bugs me and play them that way just fine. Also the Live tranfers files over the network to the installed drives at close to 10mbs and the USB ports stay active on it so I can leave the drives mapped to the network and my PC can see them any time it's on.

The slow transfer thing is a chip problem and realtek is supposed to be working on a firmware update to fix it but who knows when they will have something. I don't mind the interface, especially the semi official one aasoror and others have cooked up, and I like that the factory is supporting and allowing things like that to happen.

You might want to try the USB3 port for file transfers if you have the option as it should be a lot faster, I need to try it myself when I find a long enough cable.

#130 ·
Been doing my research on these devices, at first it was the WDTV Live box, then I was looking at the MIcca 350, now I'm seeing this and thinking it might be the best overall. Couple questions.

1. Can I use a Logitech Harmony One remote with this?

2. For someone who literally at the base level just wants to just plug in my portable 250 GB HD drive and play .mkv files on my home theater, will this work out of the box?

2a. Will browsing files look as cool as it does on say XBMC? I see some of you running what seems to be "Jukebox" software but is that built-in or does it involve some trickery to get it going? I'm not opposed to modding I am just curious what the tech level is required here.

Thanks in advance.

#131 ·
I'm watching some 1080i MKV files I made from 1080i TV captures right now and they looks great and play smooth. I think as long as the drive can plug into one of the Aios ports it should work fine. I use a 880 remote with mine and aasoror uses one similar as well, not sure which one though so the codes are now in their data base.

Some of the users here have followed aasoror's thread on the Pivos forums and have a working jukebox now but you also have to run the semi official firmware available there to make it work after you do all the steps and programs required. I haven't tried it yet as I'm trying to keep my life simple for now but the screen caps of the successful attempts look awesome so I might try it sometime when I have time and patience.

#132 ·

Quote:

Can you confirm that the Pivos Aios supports the full 3TB HDD as advertised?

A HRDOCP review stated that they could not get it to work here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...layer_review/3

And an AIOS employee stated this on their own forums:

Quote:
The AIOS can internally support drives of 2.2TB or less. It may be possible to make it support larger drives by adding GPT support, but I have not yet tried this. I will look into it, and may be able to get in touch with our firmware guys overseas and get some movement. However, I WILL state that it is not currently supported, and I do not have a time-frame to add support for these larger drives

I have yet to find a media player that supports 3TB HDDs from external USB HDD or internal 3TB HDDs... it may see them but not the full or close to Full 3TB or it may not work at all...

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allforce /forum/post/21595018

Been doing my research on these devices, at first it was the WDTV Live box, then I was looking at the MIcca 350, now I'm seeing this and thinking it might be the best overall. Couple questions.

1. Can I use a Logitech Harmony One remote with this?

2. For someone who literally at the base level just wants to just plug in my portable 250 GB HD drive and play .mkv files on my home theater, will this work out of the box?

2a. Will browsing files look as cool as it does on say XBMC? I see some of you running what seems to be "Jukebox" software but is that built-in or does it involve some trickery to get it going? I'm not opposed to modding I am just curious what the tech level is required here.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

2a. No. You will have to do some work to get the jukebox working. Aasoror can help you with that.

#134 ·

Quote:

I think a little bit of pre-purchase research would have saved you lots of post purchase disappointment.

- videos of the original interface, semiofficial and unofficial ones are already posted over youtube and linked in many reviews.

- Though I didn't have any remote related issues on the 3 boxes running at home but I have seen others reporting similarly, for some a harmony remote fixed the issue (stronger signal transmission).

- It not an AIOS issue, yet its reported and documented that the LAN speed is between 4~7 MB/s which works fine for more streaming purposes (even HD) but not any where acceptable for bulk transfer.

- speed of internet browsing is related to the richness of the contents you are trying to load, there is only so many things the 500mhz SoC can do. For videos, the AIOS browser is an HTML5 one, as listed on the box, this means that no flash support and no silverlight support. This will resolve itself once sites move to a 100% compliant HTML5 content delivery.

- which firmware are using, make sure you are on the latest firmware/bootcode and also do panic recovery if you noticed stability issues.

- If you are using the default BT client, try using transmission instead.

- username for FTP is root and there is no password.

- you can certainly do given you expose the AIOS over WAN (assign an external IP and/or port forward SAMBA services).

- true, if you wait 30 ~ 60 seconds it will apply the time zone settings.

Its not the holy grail for media players, but the price/feature ratio is certainly more than good enough for most users out there (speaking of price is $78 this week at ncix.ca including a wifi N adapter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/21595229

Can you confirm that the Pivos Aios supports the full 3TB HDD as advertised?

It does and it was confirmed by severals on the pivos support forums. Some reports mentioned a WD Green drive.

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror /forum/post/21596470

I think a little bit of pre-purchase research would have saved you lots of post purchase disappointment.

- videos of the original interface, semiofficial and unofficial ones are already posted over youtube and linked in many reviews.

- Though I didn't have any remote related issues on the 3 boxes running at home but I have seen others reporting similarly, for some a harmony remote fixed the issue (stronger signal transmission).

- It not an AIOS issue, yet its reported and documented that the LAN speed is between 4~7 MB/s which works fine for more streaming purposes (even HD) but not any where acceptable for bulk transfer.

- speed of internet browsing is related to the richness of the contents you are trying to load, there is only so many things the 500mhz SoC can do. For videos, the AIOS browser is an HTML5 one, as listed on the box, this means that no flash support and no silverlight support. This will resolve itself once sites move to a 100% compliant HTML5 content delivery.

- which firmware are using, make sure you are on the latest firmware/bootcode and also do panic recovery if you noticed stability issues.

- If you are using the default BT client, try using transmission instead.

- username for FTP is root and there is no password.

- you can certainly do given you expose the AIOS over WAN (assign an external IP and/or port forward SAMBA services).

- true, if you wait 30 ~ 60 seconds it will apply the time zone settings.

Its not the holy grail for media players, but the price/feature ratio is certainly more than good enough for most users out there (speaking of price is $78 this week at ncix.ca including a wifi N adapter).

Exactly
the unit has few bugs. but don't take offense in that aasror. If one had to do all those modifications/bootcode updates, telnet etc for a TV, no one would buy it. We just belong to a group of people that don't mind the challenge. The general public would never buy this unit.

In any case let's move forward here:

-yes good point on the port forward will do that. A Tversity cliet would help too for future updates (i doubt it would be implemented, but that's a different issue-outside network streaming)

-the slow transfer rate/crashes IS a AIOS problem, how would I save movies into the HDD ? No point lingering on this issue anyway.

-For the BT, you suggested PT transmission..I actually looked at that and I have no idea what it is for?...any clues?

thanks.

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanone /forum/post/21611849

Exactly
the unit has few bugs.

Agreed

Quote:

but don't take offense in that aasror.

Non taken

Quote:

If one had to do all those modifications/bootcode updates, telnet etc for a TV, no one would buy it.

True, that is if the TV doesn't get you a picture to start with unless you do the mods. As you correctly noted we buy stuff for what they "can" do not they "do"

Quote:

A Tversity cliet would help too for future updates (i doubt it would be implemented, but that's a different issue-outside network streaming)

The UPnP server ? how ? by the way its working fine with the AIOS (as reported by some).

Quote:

-the slow transfer rate/crashes IS a AIOS problem, how would I save movies into the HDD ? No point lingering on this issue anyway.

let me rephrase, I am no way saying its not a problem with the AIOS, I meant to say its not specific to the AIOS, all 1185 based boxes (from Mede8er, ACRyan, Xtreamer .. etc) has the same limitation, I honestly can't believe Realtek can claim a Gbit network without even breaking the 10/100 threshold.

Quote:

-For the BT, you suggested PT transmission..I actually looked at that and I have no idea what it is for?...any clues?

The AIOS comes with another client, transmission , you just need to disable the default BT client and enable it from the setup menu, you can access it from port 9091 on the AIOS (using any web browser on the network), there is some configuration needed to make it point to your USB drive for the downloads.

Check here: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=217

and here: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=202

#139 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror /forum/post/21612847

you just need to disable the default BT client and enable it from the setup menu, you can access it from port 9091 on the AIOS (using any web browser on the network), there is some configuration needed to make it point to your USB drive for the downloads.

Excellent. thanks. I looked at it earlier after i got the aios and I thought: what the heck is this thing that is asking me to UPLOAD a torrent.

Ok, I am downloading some stuff...we'll see overnight if it wont crash/reboot the unit. thx again.

#140 ·
My wife ended up liking the AIOS better than the Mede8er, and today she pretty much told me to sell it, and get another AIOS for the living room.

So, I've put the mede8er in the for sale section for $180, which includes shipping if anyone is interested send a PM or email at GFOviedo at yahoo dot com.

#141 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror /forum/post/21612847

AIOS comes with another client, transmission , you just need to disable the default BT client and enable it from the setup menu, you can access it from port 9091 on the AIOS (using any web browser on the network), there is some configuration needed to make it point to your USB drive for the downloads.

ok, I thought losing settings was fixed as you stated in one of the posts. Apparently the unit did reboot over night and I lost my target download folder : /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/transtorrent. Only 52mgs got downloaded, now it says target not there or something like that.

do I have to edit /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json.

more info would be good.

thx.

#142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s /forum/post/21615954

My wife ended up liking the AIOS better than the Mede8er, and today she pretty much told me to sell it, and get another AIOS for the living room.

So, I've put the mede8er in the for sale section for $180, which includes shipping if anyone is interested send a PM or email at GFOviedo at yahoo dot com.

HA! Now you wish you would have taken that "2 for $160" Amazon deal!

I still have my two units and debating on whether to keep one or both. The tv iso thing is a killer for me in my situation, but for movies it does quite nicely..

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21619694

HA! Now you wish you would have taken that "2 for $160" Amazon deal!

I still have my two units and debating on whether to keep one or both. The tv iso thing is a killer for me in my situation, but for movies it does quite nicely..

Tell me about it. I don't really do any ISO's unless it is a SD TV show, which plays them without issues

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanone /forum/post/21616108

do I have to edit /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json.

Yup you need to edit the json file and setup linkage as discussed in the threads to properly resume the download after reboots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21619694

The tv iso thing is a killer for me in my situation, but for movies it does quite nicely..

Can you guys list a bunch of retail BRs (movie/tv) where only the longest track is picked up which doesn't appear to be the movie ?

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21623500

My wife would divorce me if I made her watch tv in SD! :)

Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Spartacus in SD???!!! Never I say!

Getting ready to play with the aios again tonight..

The reason why I do SD TV Shows is because my wife likes to use the menus just like playing the disc.

This isn't possible if I make a ISO for a HD TV Show since neither the mede8er or AIOS can play full menus.

In what format do you rip your HD TV shows? If I an find something that works easily, then I can start doing HD TV Shows.

#151 ·
So far all my BD ISO files either play from the beginning or have issues right off the bat so don't have any made that only play the largest file. I do know that my copy of UP plays that way in my Live but picks up the beginning and plays the whole movie fine in the Aios, it also support chapters but no menu.
Maybe the folks with issues need to convert to something that supports chapters for the affected ISO files even though that is a bit of a hassle at least they could make it work. I do know one thing that's a bit weird about my ISO of Up is that it picks Spanish titles even though the subtitles are English and so is the audio track.