AVS Forum banner

Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread

178K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  Akane47 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to maintain this thread for the current,new and potential AIOS owners, I am aasoror from Canadian RFD, Patriot PBO forums, PBO wiki, Pivos forums and AIOS wiki.

I know there is already an existing thread for the AIOS, but it was more of a question thread than a product discussion (not to mention that I needed access to the OP to be able to maintain the thread properly).

So here we go,

If people feel happy paying $80 for WDTV Live+, just check what you are missing here: BR ISO support with MENUs (non Java menus only), web browser support HTML5, HD-Audio downmix and pass-through, internal 3.5" HDD support, Gigabit, LCD screen, USB 3.0

Product Features

The AIOS HD Media Center is a robust networked media center supports Full-1080p HD media playback featuring a superior multi-format video and audio codec including AVI, MKV, TS, TP, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RMVB, FLV, XVID, DIVX, and most popular formats.

With a full range of video & audio outputs, the AIOS HD Media Center can connect to your TV or your receivers to enjoy crisp 1080p videos and surreal surround sound supporting DTS Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby?Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby?Digital plus 7.1, Dolby? TrueHD 7.1, AAC 7.1.

Support upto 4TB internal HDD with hot-plug drive system, built in SDHC/ MMC/MS Pro flash card reader and the latest USB 3.0 controller, the AIOS HD Media Center supports content playback from network storage, attached USB storage, flash storage, digital cameras, digital camcorder and etc.

Intuitive user interface allows user check hardware status such as network connectivity, wifi signal, hard drive capacity and other functions. Newly introduced file browser supports functions such as movie wall, video thumbnails, photo slides, music players, and various customized playlist and photo album functions.

Based on latest Gigabit network technology and optional 802.11n, AIOS HD Media Center can let you easily access the premium functions such as PC-Less P2P downloads, your favorite apps such as Google Talk messenger, Youtube, Picasa, Flickr, Shoutcast, Video Pod Cast, and hundreds of internet video & audio contents. The best yet, we¡¯ve throw in the latest HTML5 web browser into the mix which can allow you surf the web at your heart¡¯s content.

Technical Details

Gigabit Network Ready

DTS, Dolby True HD, 5.1/ 7.1 surround

SATA HDD ready, Optional 802.11n wifi

Built in HTML 5 Web Broswer

The following N-adapters are compatible with the AIOS:

- PTGNANUSB Pivos

- AWLL6075 Airlink101

- AWLL5077 Airlink101

- Patriot PCBOWAU2-N

- DLINK DWA-130 HW version E1

- DLINK DWA-131

- Rokland's

- Zonet ZEW2546

- dealextreme branded (2R1T)

- dealextreme branded (1R1T)

- monoprice branded

- meritline branded

- TEW-648UB (Rev 1.0)

- TEW-649UB (Rev 1.0)

- Asus USB-N10

- Belkin F5D8053 (v. 5000/6000)

The following wireless Realtek chipsets are compatible with the AIOS (11N8709, RTL8187 and RTL8191SU)

See less See more
#152 ·
So without menus (in BD 2.0 disc) is the contents fully accessible ? The reason why I thought only a single track (longest) gets picked up is because the general complain is you can do episodes (in TV discs) or access bonus contents (in Movie discs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/21626767

So far all my BD ISO files either play from the beginning or have issues right off the bat so don't have any made that only play the largest file. I do know that my copy of UP plays that way in my Live but picks up the beginning and plays the whole movie fine in the Aios, it also support chapters but no menu.
Maybe the folks with issues need to convert to something that supports chapters for the affected ISO files even though that is a bit of a hassle at least they could make it work. I do know one thing that's a bit weird about my ISO of Up is that it picks Spanish titles even though the subtitles are English and so is the audio track.

#153 ·
I have to skip through all the movie adds then the last thing that plays is the movie from the beginning, same for my copy of Pirates 3 though lately that one has had issues actually playing the last movie track, not sure whats up with that one or if I'm doing something different that screws up playback on it.

I can't play anything that doesn't have a official chapter on it so no extras but all the adds and movie play fine.

I have a LOT of disks laying around so if you know of one that specifically has a issue maybe I have it and can make a ISO to test out so let me know of a popular title and how you want it made and I can test things out.

I DONT have any blu ray TV show season disks at all though and haven't bought any new movies for a while.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s /forum/post/21626678

The reason why I do SD TV Shows is because my wife likes to use the menus just like playing the disc.

This isn't possible if I make a ISO for a HD TV Show since neither the mede8er or AIOS can play full menus.

In what format do you rip your HD TV shows? If I an find something that works easily, then I can start doing HD TV Shows.

All of my blu ray rips for tv series are in strict iso. I rip with imgburn with anydvd playing in the back ground. My dune, oppo 93, and to a lesser degree my neotv550 all play these just fine with menu's as if it were the disc. The AIOS won't play them and only picks out the longest running file and plays it with no way to get to any of the other episodes. If I did not have soooooo many series ripped in ISO I would experiment a bit more with alternative ripping idea's. I seem to be one of the few that has issues with makemkv as there ALWAYS seems to be a noticeable lip sync issue that I can not correct. MY wife does not notice it,....until i point it out...then she is ruined as well... :)\\

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21627082

All of my blu ray rips for tv series are in strict iso. I rip with imgburn with anydvd playing in the back ground. My dune, oppo 93, and to a lesser degree my neotv550 all play these just fine with menu's as if it were the disc. The AIOS won't play them and only picks out the longest running file and plays it with no way to get to any of the other episodes. If I did not have soooooo many series ripped in ISO I would experiment a bit more with alternative ripping idea's. I seem to be one of the few that has issues with makemkv as there ALWAYS seems to be a noticeable lip sync issue that I can not correct. MY wife does not notice it,....until i point it out...then she is ruined as well... :)\\

Ive got one tv show in blu-ray...House...I will rip it with MakeMKV with individual season and episodes and see how that works.

#160 ·
What do you mean by decent? I think it would be best if you start your own thread explaining what you are looking for in a media player. I can tell you this right now, most people usually buy two media players. One to streaming online movies such as netflix, hulu and vudu. One for streaming ripped content.

The only ones I know that can do both are Boxee Box and WD TV Live streamer / HUB.

I bought my parents a WD TV LIVE Streamer for xmas, and it played M2TS, MKV and M4V files without issues. It can also stream Netflix, Hulu and Vudu.

#163 ·
You need to do the panic recovery install or that sorta thing will happen as many times things don't get cleared out or get corrupted going from stock to custom. My unit did similar the first time I updated and I had to do the panic recovery to get it fixed. I believe your supposed to turn it off on the back then turn it on again and hold the front power button for a bit with the update in one of the USB ports, eventually it will start reading it then do a forced panic recovery update. If you want to watch the update you'll need to use the composite yellow video out cable as it doesn't use the HDMI out and starts in PAL mode if you haven't ever updated it before this point.

It takes quite a few minutes then will eventually reboot itself and with luck you should then be OK. Aassoror has posted instruction on how to do it at the Pivos site and probably has posted it here and may have some links to it on his first post if somebody like him doesn't jump in with the official description on doing it.

#164 ·
Turn it off from the back button. Put the USB flash drive into the usb port. Hold the front power button down for 5 seconds, while holding down the power button, flip the back switch to the on position. If you have your tv connected you will see something like reading the USB, and it will do a panic recovery. Wait for about 10 min, and it should restart again, and that should be it.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21634210

yep, do as gusgus748s said. I saw your post and realized that I had not yet installed the updated firmware and just did so two minutes ago. Worked fine..

no more "turehd" for me!

I wish they had kept the "ture hd." I told a friend of mine that it was a higher and better option than "true hd." I said "ture" was short for "torture" hd lol. I think he believed it too.

#169 ·
I see that the latest 'semi-official' firmware is R16....

Can I load this directly without going through intermediate levels? Also I see that there was something on the Pivos site about boot code version 18, is this also updated with the application of the R16? The thread on the Pivos forum talked about loading R10 to update the boot loader?

Thanks!

#170 ·
Yes you can go directly to the latest one, if you want to be able to see the update through HDMI in normal NTSC mode apply the R10 update first as it makes it work through the HDMI port as far as showing the video while the upgrade happens so you don't have to hook up the yellow composite cable ever again to watch the update progress.

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/21634768

I see that the latest 'semi-official' firmware is R16....

Can I load this directly without going through intermediate levels? Also I see that there was something on the Pivos site about boot code version 18, is this also updated with the application of the R16? The thread on the Pivos forum talked about loading R10 to update the boot loader?

Thanks!

Going to BC18 is optional (but highly recommended), if you just got new stock the chances are its already loaded, so double check from the info screens in the setup menu. If it doesn't say BC18 then do panic recovery with R10 first before going to R16.

#172 ·
Cool, thanks for the details Dartman/assoror,

I just got the player this week, I will check for the installed version of boot code loader and proceed accordingly...

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover /forum/post/21635520

Has anyone hooked up an external dvd drive to this thing on any firmware? If so, did it play? How about a blu ray drive?

I am not at home or would have given it a whirl...

Data BR/DVD works without a problem, Video needs to be region free (most retails are not) or need to be unlocked and decrypted in advance (backups made with AnyDVD)