AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - OTA

1M views 11K replies 1K participants last post by  hitbyambulance 
#1 ·
I've been able to receive Channel 27 (28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 28-4) KBTS, the Bates Community College PBS station since Monday.

Also, I notice KCTS Channel 9 is now multicasting all PBS feeds.

Lastly, Channel 33-1 (32) and a couple of shopping channels from Bellevue must have boosted power because I can get them in Shoreline quite well. They were not receivable prior.

I checked briefly, but didn't find similar post. If redundant, it is as my signature:

#9,382 ·
No luck picking up 22. I also noticed that I was getting dropouts on RF27 from Tacoma. So to balance things out I took my laptop along with Fusion5 USB tuner to the roof. I finally stroke a balance between RF35 (71 miles away - NW direction, front of the antenna) and RF27 (33 miles away - SW direction, rear of the antenna):

The supplied signal checker is nice in that the "strength" is actually S/N ratio or quality and the number does not change with splitters or cable length.

To achieve the correct balance I had to lower the upper screen to expose the top most bowtie on the rear of the antenna. This lowered the forward gain slightly but elevated the rear gain allowing me to achieve the balance between the two:

I also separated the VHF dipole to point it to a different direction towards my VHF stations and added a VHF Hi/Lo splitter to remove VHF Lo & FM frequencies from the signal fed to the pre-amp. (There are a lot of strong FM stations around here)

I now receive the following RF channels with no dropouts:

VHF: 8,9,11,13

UHF: 14,25,27,31,33,35,38,39,42,44,46,48,50,51

Others, such as RF19 are too low to either get a lock or have too many dropouts.

This gives me a total of 54 TV channels with 45 of them having content and 42 of them being unique.

#9,384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leszek1 /forum/post/21630812

No luck picking up 22. I also noticed that I was getting dropouts on RF27 from Tacoma. So to balance things out I took my laptop along with Fusion5 USB tuner to the roof. I finally stroke a balance between RF35 (71 miles away - NW direction, front of the antenna) and RF27 (33 miles away - SW direction, rear of the antenna):

The supplied signal checker is nice in that the "strength" is actually S/N ratio or quality and the number does not change with splitters or cable length.

To achieve the correct balance I had to lower the upper screen to expose the top most bowtie on the rear of the antenna. This lowered the forward gain slightly but elevated the rear gain allowing me to achieve the balance between the two:

I also separated the VHF dipole to point it to a different direction towards my VHF stations and added a VHF Hi/Lo splitter to remove VHF Lo & FM frequencies from the signal fed to the pre-amp. (There are a lot of strong FM stations around here)

I now receive the following RF channels with no dropouts:

VHF: 8,9,11,13

UHF: 14,25,27,31,33,35,38,39,42,44,46,48,50,51

Others, such as RF19 are too low to either get a lock or have too many dropouts.

This gives me a total of 54 TV channels with 45 of them having content and 42 of them being unique.

That's pretty good.. What's your full Tvfool report? Your Location says Bellevue, but you say you're in Kirkland. Is RF 22 (CHAN) in your report?

Seems you get get all the local channels! That's cool.. so you're just missing that one Bellingham channel RF 24 (Shopping NBC channel)...

#9,385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts /forum/post/21573717

Jim

Haven't seen this one, but have installed some of these. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FWgaQgodii2itw

Similar in idea. It worked okay, better than I thought it would. About 60% to 80% of the gain of a CM4221 in UHF. Not great on VHF, more narrow in reception off axis for both VHF/UHF. Works great close in, like Ballard, if there's not many trees to deal with. I keep one in stock just for those special requirement jobs close in. Not sure how well it would do where you are, but I would use it over the one you are looking at. Has more VHF elements, and smaller in overall size.

Don't throw away your present setup, though!

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the recommendations and I assure you, I won't throw away what currently works. KOMO has been breaking up here a bit so I raised my 4221 up 6" then 12" and finally determined it is best located 6" lower than where I originally had it (at least for today). Go figure.

When I tested an old-style DB-2 last summer on the same mast but 12 feet higher, it out performed the 4221 so I suspect your suggested antenna might be a winner here.

Jim

#9,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 /forum/post/21631350

That's pretty good.. What's your full Tvfool report? Your Location says Bellevue, but you say you're in Kirkland. Is RF 22 (CHAN) in your report?

Seems you get get all the local channels! That's cool.. so you're just missing that one Bellingham channel RF 24 (Shopping NBC channel)...

Actually the ShopNBC is RF19, logical 24.
The signal is too low to get a lock most of the time. My TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b860ce0ca3e20

#9,387 ·
Does anyone have a update of the progress of putting up KCPQ 13 on 22 actual in Seattle? I and others I assume, that are either in the Gold Mountain shadow or wrong direction, do appreciate being able to see KCPQ content on 22.2 logical but the SD picture quality is starting to get old. It amazes me that KZJO sends mostly SD content on the 22.1 HD channel and transmits the Fox mostly HD content on the 22.2 SD channel. With the start of the NASCAR season I was hoping to watch it in HD.

#9,388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s73v3 /forum/post/21641085

Does anyone have a update of the progress of putting up KCPQ 13 on 22 actual in Seattle? I and others I assume, that are either in the Gold Mountain shadow or wrong direction, do appreciate being able to see KCPQ content on 22.2 logical but the SD picture quality is starting to get old. It amazes me that KZJO sends mostly SD content on the 22.1 HD channel and transmits the Fox mostly HD content on the 22.2 SD channel. With the start of the NASCAR season I was hoping to watch it in HD.

IIRC, when they first put it up they ran 720p on both 22.1 and 22.2. In order to get enough bandwidth for 22.3 (Antenna TV), they cut 22.2 back to 480i. The downscaled picture quality looks a bit better to me than watching the 11 a.m. news on 4.2.

#9,389 ·
#9,390 ·
I think this is the year I will finally get an antenna on the roof. I asked a while ago about my location (Densmore Ave N at N 203rd in Shoreline) and Dan said it was in a not good spot. Any recommendation on a particular antenna/amp/rotator and how high above the chimney I should look at going? Is this within the range of a do-it-yourself job or does it make sense to hire someone to do it right, since antenna selection/install seems as much art as science?

#9,391 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98133 /forum/post/21642387

I think this is the year I will finally get an antenna on the roof. I asked a while ago about my location (Densmore Ave N at N 203rd in Shoreline) and Dan said it was in a not good spot. Any recommendation on a particular antenna/amp/rotator and how high above the chimney I should look at going? Is this within the range of a do-it-yourself job or does it make sense to hire someone to do it right, since antenna selection/install seems as much art as science?

Well, the trees to the south haven't gotten any smaller in the last 4+ years!

If you want to try, get this one from RatShack, and a long 50ft cable
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3740646

Carefully unfold it, set it on your roof pointed basically 5 or 10 degrees west of due south, run the cable through the window by your TV and see what you get. Going up high isn't going to help much. The signal, if there were no trees in that direction for 2+ miles, would still be a hundred feet over your head. You may be able to find something skirting under the tree canopy. Never hurts to try. If it doesn't work, you can return it.

Dan

#9,392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98133 /forum/post/21642387

If you haven't done so already read this:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html

Don't be afraid to experiment a little, including pointing the antenna slightly upward.

#9,393 ·
Dan & leszek1, thanks for the help. I looked on TV Fool and saw that I am in the purple zone for most of the stations. The HBU 33 is not listed for blue or purple on the manufacturer's website, but the larger HBU 44 and 55 are (if using an amplifier). Do you think the HBU 33 will do the trick or will it be extra insurance to go with the 44 or 55? These may be new antennas, as I did not see any user reviews (vice lots for the HBU 33), so maybe unproven in real world performance? Also, should I go with an amplifier (and if so, which one?). Again, many thanks for the help.

#9,394 ·
You can never have too much antenna (except if you live very, very near a station) but you can always have too little. Go with the 55 unless cost is a factor. Remember that an antenna is the only thing in the entire receiving chain to actually improve signal quality. Everything else either tries to degrade it (long cable runs and splitters) or tries to preserve it (amps)

In my area (Kirkland) the only pre-amp I can use is the Winegard HDP-269. All others I tried (from the CM7777 to AD CPA19) would overload and I would loose channels and quality. I would strongly recommend that one as it is enough for about 150ft of RG6 + a 2 way splitter or about 50ft of RG6 + a 4 way splitter and that's conservative.

#9,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98133 /forum/post/21647440

Dan & leszek1, thanks for the help. I looked on TV Fool and saw that I am in the purple zone for most of the stations. The HBU 33 is not listed for blue or purple on the manufacturer's website, but the larger HBU 44 and 55 are (if using an amplifier). Do you think the HBU 33 will do the trick or will it be extra insurance to go with the 44 or 55? These may be new antennas, as I did not see any user reviews (vice lots for the HBU 33), so maybe unproven in real world performance? Also, should I go with an amplifier (and if so, which one?). Again, many thanks for the help.

TVFool doesn't take in to account hills, terrain, trees and some other important factors. It does give you an idea of what direction the various channels are. Not that good though for antenna selection around here.

Reviews on antennas by non professionals are not really valid. There are too many variables that aren't known about their location, the stations they're trying to receive, or their TV. They mean well, and they probably did perform for them as stated, but someone else can get a completely different result through no fault of the same antenna.

Either HBU 44 or 55 is okay, but the 55 will be a bit more directional, which may help trying to find the best path through the trees. Even with a preamplifier, you will not overload at your location. I prefer the CM7777 because of it's very low noise figure, and it's ability to pull in many weak stations along with some stronger ones, and not add more overall noise that will confuse the tuner. It's also very reliable, and has more gain and headroom than others I've tried. If I were going to test a tough location like yours, these items are what I would try.

Let us know what happens.

Dan

#9,396 ·
Dan,

You had originally suggested the HBU-33...was that because that was the only HBU at RatShack? They don't have the 44 or 55. I am willing to go all-in and just get the 55 from Solid Signal if that is the way to go. BTW, Solid Signal has an over 2 week wait for a CM7777 (not sure what is up with the CM supply chain). Any other reputable sources to order a CM7777? Many thanks!!!

#9,398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98133 /forum/post/21655298

Dan,

You had originally suggested the HBU-33...was that because that was the only HBU at RatShack? They don't have the 44 or 55. I am willing to go all-in and just get the 55 from Solid Signal if that is the way to go. BTW, Solid Signal has an over 2 week wait for a CM7777 (not sure what is up with the CM supply chain). Any other reputable sources to order a CM7777? Many thanks!!!

I couldn't find a link for the HBU44 or 55. I mentioned thr Shack because they will take the antenna back if it doesn't work. Not sure what Solid's return policy is. For the preamp, did you try Fry's? You need to go there and check it out. They don't seem to be to good at checking inventory over the phone. If they have the Wingard, then get that. If you start to get some channels, then return it and find a CM7777. If not, you're not out the money.

And yes, Channelmaster is goofy about their production. Shame because they make some good products, go figure. As for where else to buy one, Amazon has a link to a company with the preamp.

Dan

#9,401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wood /forum/post/21659584

KUNS has not moved. It is still on West Tiger. 50.3 is the physical channel that is remapped to 51.1 as the virtual channel.

Lee,

I asked because I have been receiving it on my Bravia mapped to 51.1 but upon doing a rescan, it was added as 50.3, as if it was a new transmitter being received.

It has never been received here on my CM-4221 and it now comes in when pointed at the KING tower "on" 50.3 as well as on 51.1 when I switch to my cut-to-48 Yagi aimed at Tiger (prior to the other night the only way to receive it).

My CM-7000 converter has never 'seen' 51.1 before, but the rescan found it and correctly mapped it: this was on my 4221 aimed at the KING tower.

Strange!

Jim

#9,402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastiche /forum/post/21641902

Not sure why, but KBTC got a CP to run a translator on channel 16 from Capitol Hill in far less time.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=62469

i've been interested in the progress of this and wrote KBTC the other day. got a reply back that the KBTC Capitol Hill translator station is slated to be finished late summer or fall, if all goes to plan.

#9,404 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle /forum/post/21661451

Lee,

My CM-7000 converter has never 'seen' 51.1 before, but the rescan found it and correctly mapped it: this was on my 4221 aimed at the KING tower.

Strange!

Jim

Somehow I doubt KUNS will be broadcasting from the KING tower. The KOMO tower one of these days? Yes, since KUNS is owned by Fisher-KOMO.