AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#9,081 ·
jdsmoothie and batpig, do you still recommend the 2112 over the 2312 for the money for most users? The street price difference is $160. I've been agonizing about the two...

- Both the 2112 and the 2312 will serve all my sound purposes (main zone and zone 2) well (see question below for zone 2).

- I like that the 2312 can overlay menus on 3D but that won't work with a Mac as an HTPC (the HDMI signal will be 2D), and I really do not want to build a Linux box and spec it out and try and figure out how to guarantee the video card will output the right signal.

- The 2312 has nicer menus. Not sure how much I'll be in menus, really. Hopefully not too much!

- The 2312's main future-proofing feature for me would be the 12V trigger if I ever get a screen. This being said, this is solvable for

#9,082 ·
I have a 2112ci and can't get the airplay icon to show up on iTunes or the mobile app. Everything is updated to the latest version including router firmware. Internet connection works as I have internet radio and Pandora working fine. I have tried everything that has been mentioned in this forum including turning off network stand-by, turning the amp off, unplugging, rebooting the laptop, etc. Only once in the three weeks I've owned the amp has the airplay icon appeared and on that occasion, the receiver was grayed out. Clicking on it made it disappear altogether both in iTunes and in the mobile app. I'm using a D-link router, if that makes any difference. I've checked security settings on the computer and the router and can't see anything that would cause a problem. Multicast is enabled. Any suggestions?

#9,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcthmb /forum/post/21644897

I have a 2112ci and can't get the airplay icon to show up on iTunes or the mobile app. Everything is updated to the latest version including router firmware. Internet connection works as I have internet radio and Pandora working fine. I have tried everything that has been mentioned in this forum including turning off network stand-by, turning the amp off, unplugging, rebooting the laptop, etc. Only once in the three weeks I've owned the amp has the airplay icon appeared and on that occasion, the receiver was grayed out. Clicking on it made it disappear altogether both in iTunes and in the mobile app. I'm using a D-link router, if that makes any difference. I've checked security settings on the computer and the router and can't see anything that would cause a problem. Multicast is enabled. Any suggestions?

Have you tried setting a static IP address as suggested in post #3, 12(a)?

#9,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by newirishman /forum/post/0

Anyone any experience with HD flac performance issues on one of the networking models? I created 96kHz FLAC files (Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" Blu Ray Edition), and they are hosted on a Synology DS211 NAS. Can play them via VLC over Wireless LAN on the laptop without issues, but my 1912 has problems - it looks like it can't stream the data quick enough (that "buffer"% goes down to 0-30%) - and therefore experience audio dropouts.

The manual says that 96 kHz Flac is ok so not sure what the issue is.

Both the 1912 and the NAS are on the same Gigabit switch.

Any ideas apart from just going down with the filesize/quality?

(it is a 4 channel flac actually, whereby the Denon plays it as Stereo only)

Bump. Anyone streaming highres flacs?

#9,086 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash /forum/post/21644758

- The 2312 has nicer menus. Not sure how much I'll be in menus, really. Hopefully not too much!

FWIW, I have the 2112 and the 3312. While it's true that the 3312's menus are "prettier" (lots of icons and such), I actually find the more plain menus of the 2112 a lot easier to move around it, and easier to see all the options, because they're simpler and cleaner instead of fancy.

#9,087 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/21644423

not odd if he fiddled with the subwoofer knobs between the 2 runs. Since he stated he wasn't happy with the first run, that's my best guess... twiddled a bit, turned the gain up, re-ran Audyssey, now sub is too loud, so trim gets set to -12.

yea true... i assumed (yea, yea, i know
) that since he didn't say that he mucked with it, he didn't...

#9,088 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21644921

Nothing has changed ... unless there is something you can't do without on the higher models, go with the 2112CI and put the savings towards the Mac mini.

Yes... I have a couple other questions (for you or an owner of both like Kalani below---thanks for the input Kalani, BTW!):

- Can the video overlays (for volume for example) be disabled? That would go a long way towards not caring about whether the display will be messed up or not during 3D. And that is true for both the 2112 and the 2312 as I'll output SBS from the Mac... I can't find info in the manuals when searching (versus reading every single page).

- Any guidance on the volume pre-out controls for the active speakers I am considering? Is not having them a non-issue? It seems that volume controls on the AVR for pre-out zone 2 would allow for easier automation? From the manuals it seems that the 2312 will adjust output levels on the pre outs through the volume control (while the manual for the 2112 says "use the volume control on the remote amp") [Edit: I think I kind of answered my question and that means that the savings are really reduced to about $70 if I need remote IR through an iTach)... So really the first question is the main one.)

YA

#9,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash /forum/post/21645173

Can the video overlays (for volume for example) be disabled?
  • Video signals are only output when HDMI signals are played in the PURE DIRECT mode.
  • When in the PURE DIRECT mode, the menu screen is not displayed.

Note...

In Direct listening mode, the following items cannot be adjusted.

• Tone (vpage 81) • MultEQ® XT (vpage 81) • Dynamic EQ® (vpage 82) • Dynamic Volume® (vpage 82) • RESTORER (vpage 83)

#9,090 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21645302
  • Video signals are only output when HDMI signals are played in the PURE DIRECT mode.
  • When in the PURE DIRECT mode, the menu screen is not displayed.

Note...

In Direct listening mode, the following items cannot be adjusted.

Tone (vpage 81) MultEQ® XT (vpage 81) Dynamic EQ® (vpage 82) Dynamic Volume® (vpage 82) RESTORER (vpage 83)

DIRECT or PURE DIRECT seems to be what I'd want for movies, right? The first bullet point seems to say that unless I'm in that mode anyway, no video will leave the receiver. It's all confusing. There are other pages that mention surround modes "optimized for movies sources" (e.g. PLII Cinema) but that cannot be set in PURE DIRECT mode. Are those restrictions then only for HDMI?

If the "menu screen" is not displayed, does that mean that volume isn't displayed either? It's confusing because in the manual, say on p. 8, clearly shows a "menu screen" and a "display screen" as two separate concepts. That's why I figure an owner could quickly let me know (e.g. play an HDMI source, see if volume overlays).

#9,091 ·
I am new to HT setup and building everything from nothing. I am sold on the 2112ci and now considering the speakers to get. I want to ensure that the AVR would provide enough power to the speakers. The power rating on the 2112ci is 90 watts per channel and the speakers I am considering are as follows:

Definitive Technlogy ProMonitor 1000

* 10-200 Watts

* 8 ohms

* 91dB

Definitive Technology SM450

* 20-225 Watts

* 8 ohms

* 90dB

I am assuming 90Watts driving either one should be ok or more power has to be supplied to get the best sound from each speaker options?

#9,092 ·
^^^

assuming you don't live in an auditorium, the avr will drive those speakers with no issues... you will be fine...

#9,093 ·
Hi, new here and desperately in need of some advice...

Just upgraded from a 2809 to the 3312 primarily to get the network features (but also because the price was too good to pass up on the day!).

Had no issues to begin with and was able to use a PC to setup many of the presets on the internet radio side of things but I am now unable to even get the internet radio section of the web control to even open - all I get is the error 'connection failed'. From the normal remote all functionality works fine including internet radio!

There have been no changes to the network (which is fully wired gigabit) and all other elements of the web control functionality remain perfectly useable (changing source, volume, system setup, etc.).

I've since tried changing from a DHCP address to a statically assigned one but this has made difference either. I tried leaving the amp unplugged last night - again no difference.

I've also attempted the following two steps (this is after ensuring that all firmware updates have been applied) :-

1. The microprocessor reset as per the manual (Presets 2&3 + Power). This appeared to work and forced me through the full setup procedure again. Only for me to find that the error remains along with all my previously setup presets - so hardly a full reset then...

2. The network reset as per earlier in this thread (Presets 1&2 + Power). This did nothing more than the reset above and also left all the presets intact along with the error. The actual note says that the documented way of doing this is Presets 1&3 + Power but this appear to do absolutely nothing at all when I tried.

Have also emailed Denon UK to see what they have to say about it...but no reply so far so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ian.

#9,094 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash /forum/post/21645443

DIRECT or PURE DIRECT seems to be what I'd want for movies, right?

no no no... Charles R led you down the wrong path.

you were asking how do disable the overlays, engaging PURE DIRECT will disable ALL VIDEO, not just the menus!

you can separately disable volume display and text (status) display in the GUI setup menu. Or, you can turn VIDEO CONVERT off for a given input and it will disable the menu overlays completely.

#9,096 ·
^^^ (batpig)

By the way, would you also be able to answer my pre-out volume question (in another thread)?

My options to control my 3 zones are:

1. Denon in main zone, pre-outs to active speakers outside in zone2, my old Sony DE835 with an Airport Express in bedroom closet for zone3. Downside: big receiver in closet may take some room. (The closet is not air tight at all.) Upside: seems simple/less hardware in sight.

2. Denon in main zone, pre-outs to my old Sony DE835 to normal speakers outside in zone2 (so volume is done through the Sony then), active speakers in bedroom driven by an Airport Express (limiting myself to content from the Mac, but with Airfoil I can play iTunes and radio and that's all I'd care about---it might just be a bit more complicated to set up
but then I know that I can affect the volume directly from Airfoil). Downside: two big receivers stacked in a visible place, no inexpensive active speakers for bedroom (but cheap 2-channel amps can make up for it). Upside: could get crazy and wire speakers outside on the A and B outputs of the Sony.

Is option 1 the right one? If I am correct here, then do I need the 2312 to be able to impact the outdoors volume using a remote?

#9,097 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/21646040

you were asking how do disable the overlays, engaging PURE DIRECT will disable ALL VIDEO, not just the menus!

It doesn't on my two xx12 models. And what I posted was pasted from the manual...

Quote:
you can separately disable volume display and text (status) display in the GUI setup menu. Or, you can turn VIDEO CONVERT off for a given input and it will disable the menu overlays completely.

For which models? Mine don't have Video Convert.

#9,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21646604

^^

Any model with a video chip (2312CI and 3312CI in the XX12 series) will have the "Video Convert" setting which can be enabled/disabled by input.

Sorry, I knew the answer... was just rather badly pointing out the 1712 and 2112 (the models I have) don't offer such.