AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#9,101 ·
I just received my AVR-2112 today, and the first thing I tried to play through it was David Gilmour's BD concert (my previous receiver does not support the advanced codecs). I was dismayed to realize that the receiver was only outputting in stereo. I checked all of the settings that I can find on the receiver, and tried both bitstream and PCM output on the BD player (Panny DMP-BDT210), to no avail. Is it possible that the HDMI cable I'm using between the player and the AVR is incapable of carrying the signal? I thought all "versions" of HDMI could support TrueHD and Master Audio...

FYI, I am getting Dolby Digital just fine through my satellite box.

Also - and this has nothing to do with the AVR - I have noticed for quite some time that my center channel (Klipsch RC-25) sounds muffled. I have always found that multichannel stereo sounds much better on my system than standard Dolby Digital, where the center receives most of the dialog. I know this should not be, and I'm wondering if maybe my tweeter is not receiving a signal or something. I recently switched my center channel cable to one of my front speakers and it sounded much better, so there's definitely something up with my center. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

#9,102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21643882

^^

Chris brings up a good point about customer service being poor with Onkyo. In fact, some new Onkyo owners have opted to pay for an additional 3rd party extended warranty just so they don't have to deal with Onkyo customer service.

My Onkyo TX-SR875, bought for $1,050 3 1/2 yrs ago from Amazon, was having video chip issues from the beginning and was running very hot, finally giving up ghost last summer. The authorized repair place wanted $880!
An Onkyo rep offered a refurb 809 for $550 if I shipped my half-a-ton 875 on my dime.

I decided to get a 2112CI instead for $550, and so far, I am very happy with it: it's smaller, runs much cooler, is fully networked, even Skifta works great with my Galaxy Nexus--and three years of warranty. No regrets whatsoever.

#9,103 ·
I need your help guys....I have tried everything but wasn't successful in getting any sound out of my surround speakers. I played a surround sound test video on youtube and I could notice the sound coming from the front and center speakers and not from the surround. I have watched couple of sitcoms and the receiver display read DOLBY too but no sound from the surround speakers. I don't know if I'm missing anything guys. Has anyone come across this situation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: When I played test tone, I could hear sound from the surround speakers but not while watching TV. So Im pretty sure the wiring is right.

#9,104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwheelr /forum/post/21647233

I just received my AVR-2112 today, and the first thing I tried to play through it was David Gilmour's BD concert (my previous receiver does not support the advanced codecs). I was dismayed to realize that the receiver was only outputting in stereo. I checked all of the settings that I can find on the receiver, and tried both bitstream and PCM output on the BD player (Panny DMP-BDT210), to no avail.

Hi xjwheelr, on the BDT210 set "Secondary Audio" to off. Also go into BD disc menu and check that TrueHD is selected.

#9,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksparrow1020 /forum/post/21638576

Hi JChin, I just have my TV connected to the receiver and have been playing youtube on my TV. I have a HDMI 1.4 cable connecting the TV to the receiver. I think it was STEREO and sometimes DOLBY, I don't exactly remember.

What is puzzling is that I heard some sound from the surround speakers couple of times, that's it...nothing again.

So your source is the tv internet app (youtube)? If so see if your tv have a audio output setting where it can select Dolby Digital instead of PCM.

#9,106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjwheelr /forum/post/21647233

I just received my AVR-2112 today, and the first thing I tried to play through it was David Gilmour's BD concert (my previous receiver does not support the advanced codecs). I was dismayed to realize that the receiver was only outputting in stereo. I checked all of the settings that I can find on the receiver, and tried both bitstream and PCM output on the BD player (Panny DMP-BDT210), to no avail. Is it possible that the HDMI cable I'm using between the player and the AVR is incapable of carrying the signal? I thought all "versions" of HDMI could support TrueHD and Master Audio...

FYI, I am getting Dolby Digital just fine through my satellite box.

Also - and this has nothing to do with the AVR - I have noticed for quite some time that my center channel (Klipsch RC-25) sounds muffled. I have always found that multichannel stereo sounds much better on my system than standard Dolby Digital, where the center receives most of the dialog. I know this should not be, and I'm wondering if maybe my tweeter is not receiving a signal or something. I recently switched my center channel cable to one of my front speakers and it sounded much better, so there's definitely something up with my center. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

1. Change the setting on the BDP as JChin suggested.

2. From your troubleshooting it sounds like bad speaker cable. Replace it.

#9,108 ·
^^

So then, you have a 5.1 setup with the surround speakers connected to the "Surround" speaker posts and whenever you play a DD 5.1 sound track the AVR front panel display reads "Dolby Digital" but you don't get any audio from the surround speakers even though when running AUTO SETUP you did? Try resetting the microprocessor as listed in post #5 of this thread.

#9,111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21649324

^^

If you want to save $100, see if they'll match Electronics Expo's price.

Thanks for the tip! I called up and told them EE was offering it for $450. They couldn't match the price because they said it was under their buying price, but they were able to offer it to me for $500. I'm cool with that. I would rather get everything from one distributor anyway and avoid the hassle. Thanks for the tip man, I owe you a few beers!

#9,112 ·

Quote:
I have a 2112ci and can't get the airplay icon to show up on iTunes or the mobile app. Everything is updated to the latest version including router firmware. Internet connection works as I have internet radio and Pandora working fine. I have tried everything that has been mentioned in this forum including turning off network stand-by, turning the amp off, unplugging, rebooting the laptop, etc. Only once in the three weeks I've owned the amp has the airplay icon appeared and on that occasion, the receiver was grayed out. Clicking on it made it disappear altogether both in iTunes and in the mobile app. I'm using a D-link router, if that makes any difference. I've checked security settings on the computer and the router and can't see anything that would cause a problem. Multicast is enabled. Any suggestions?

Have you tried setting a static IP address as suggested in post #3, 12(a)?

Thanks for your quick reply, jd. I have tried that. I have not reset the microprocessor nor have I tried a different router. I have tried all of the other suggestions I've come across in this forum. My brother has the same model, same airplay issue and also has tried everything to no avail. He is, however, able to get airplay to work fine with his apple products. He spoke to a Denon rep who concluded that the problem is with Apple. Am I out of luck?

#9,113 ·
Been a long time since I have owned Denon, but I am looking for a receiver that will do a second zone, I will only be using a sound bar and sub in this room for now as it is my third system. What current model Denon will to a second zone, or run another pair of speakers besides my sound bar, I will never be using them at the same time. I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-1021 and Onkyo 609 as they will do this and do it inexpensively. Thanks for any input.

#9,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcthmb /forum/post/21649510

Thanks for your quick reply, jd. I have tried that. I have not reset the microprocessor nor have I tried a different router. I have tried all of the other suggestions I've come across in this forum. My brother has the same model, same airplay issue and also has tried everything to no avail. He is, however, able to get airplay to work fine with his apple products. He spoke to a Denon rep who concluded that the problem is with Apple. Am I out of luck?

Try replacing the router as that's where the issue likely resides.

#9,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman /forum/post/21649555

Been a long time since I have owned Denon, but I am looking for a receiver that will do a second zone, I will only be using a sound bar and sub in this room for now as it is my third system. What current model Denon will to a second zone, or run another pair of speakers besides my sound bar, I will never be using them at the same time. I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-1021 and Onkyo 609 as they will do this and do it inexpensively. Thanks for any input.

The 1712 is the lowest model that can do powered Zone 2. Review post #2 on page 1 of this thread for a comparison of the various XX12 models.

#9,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nation /forum/post/21649494

Thanks for the tip! I called up and told them EE was offering it for $450. They couldn't match the price because they said it was under their buying price, but they were able to offer it to me for $500. I'm cool with that. I would rather get everything from one distributor anyway and avoid the hassle. Thanks for the tip man, I owe you a few beers!

Great! Although I was born there ... have't been back in several decades ... put the savings towards a center speaker or sub if not already in the setup.

#9,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21649627

Great! Although I was born there ... have't been back in several decades ... put the savings towards a center speaker or sub if not already in the setup.

Hahaha, I was just talking with a co-worker about how everyone from Florida is from another state, or vice-versa.

Will do! Looking to get an RC-LCR and RC-10 surrounds soon. Outlaw sub in the following weeks...

I like to buy incrementally rather than all at once. Let's me get bigger and better!

#9,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21648014

^^

So then, you have a 5.1 setup with the surround speakers connected to the "Surround" speaker posts and whenever you play a DD 5.1 sound track the AVR front panel display reads "Dolby Digital" but you don't get any audio from the surround speakers even though when running AUTO SETUP you did? Try resetting the microprocessor as listed in post #5 of this thread.

Exactly, wish I could word it as clear as you did.

I will reset the microprocessor once I get home. Thanks jd!

#9,120 ·
^^

Not sure what you mean by "networking strength" as the 2112CI and 3312CI are both networking models? An Apple TV is a better option than the on board Airplay as it can pass video and independent audio to Zone 2 neither of which the on board Airplay can do. The on board networking allows for user firmware updating as well as controlling the AVR via a smart phone so just depends on how you want to use the AVR and what features you think you'll need/use.