AVS Forum banner

'Pan Am' on ABC HD

20K views 236 replies 77 participants last post by  Mac The Knife 
#1 ·
I'm looking forward to this.

#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/21252585

Point is, no one is saying that they must fly real airplanes and shoot them... er... from another real airplane. It is just that as a viewer I want to see that the filmmakers did as much as they could considering budget constraints. It costs nothing to verify airplane weight, for example. A friend of mine threw a space-themed child party and drew the Solar system on a black sheet of paper. Mercury and Mars were sharing the same orbit. Sure, our world will not collapse because of one silly picture, but if you feed people with junk, they will know nothing but junk. Maybe this is exactly what the higher-ups want the people to be - a gray mass of beer-drinking sofa-sitting TV-watchers.

Excellent point

I'm no pilot but blatant errors made because of lazy writing with a total disregard for audience members who are awake is both annoying and insulting. Then again, I'm only watching because my wife wants company.

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 /forum/post/21221495

Well no, not really, but we're diving into the techie weeds of aviation here, so this is likely OT. The higher speed required is due to increased angle of attack for the weight and will extend the landing rollout distance. And the wings are not designed to withstand the flex stress of the extra fuel in them during touchdown, as well as the gear and other components. Speed is the least of the issues unless you are dealing with a very short runway. And while I'm not sure of your meaning about takeoff being "much easier to deal with", I think most pilots I know would tell you that takeoff emergencies or abnormalities are far more worrisome than landing.

I'll leave it at that as I'm sure we're boring everyone else and I have stopped watching this show anyway, so I can't really comment on the reality of how it was shown. And while I never played a pilot on TV, I was one and have faced this situation before, just not in a B707. (And I prefer helicopters anyway - 110kt vs. .83 Mach just isn't the same)

I don't think you realize that you are arguing against a guy with an aerospace engineering degree. I have designed my own airplanes. As a pilot you may have a working understanding, but I don't think quite grok the physics involved.

You don't need increased angle of attack. You need more lift, which is why you have to travel faster. The increase in speed will cause increased stress on landing gear when you do land.

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/21264882

I don't think you realize that you are arguing against a guy with an aerospace engineering degree. I have designed my own airplanes. As a pilot you may have a working understanding, but I don't think quite grok the physics involved.

You don't need increased angle of attack. You need more lift, which is why you have to travel faster. The increase in speed will cause increased stress on landing gear when you do land.

I meant to say "stall speed" but AOA was in my mind and got typed by mistake - the stall speed is higher due to the excess weight (also the AOA will increase), thus requiring a higher approach and landing speed (Vref). However, your degree notwithstanding, speed is not the limiting issue - high speed landings are done rather often due to other failures such as no flaps available, etc and the speed is not damaging, you just need a lot more runway - it is the landing weight flexing the wings, gear and other structures on impact. I 'grok' the physics just fine -- BUT I'm finished talking about this very OT subject as others have suggested.

#205 ·
TV Notes
ABC Grounds 'Pan Am' -- For Now

By Philiana Ng, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - November 29th, 2011

ABC has pulled back on 1960s aviation drama Pan Am.

The network will produce only one more episode of the five additional scripts ordered, meaning the drama's first season will have a total of 14 produced episodes. ABC will air the six remaining originals beginning this Sunday, with five being broadcast in January.

Insiders say the show is still in contention for next season but will step aside to make room for midseason series GCB.

"Well, we received THE call, #PanAm is only coming back for one more episode after Christmas," tweeted cast member Karine Vanasse, who plays Colette, on Tuesday. "But up to the end, we'll give it our all !"

After launching to promising numbers on Sept. 25, the hourlong drama lost more than 3 million viewers for its second episode, averaging 7.8 million and posting a 2.6 rating in adults 18-49, down from the 3.1 it drew in its opener. The series didn't settle down in its third week, dropping to 6.4 million and a 1.9, down 27 percent in the demo.

Created by Jack Orman and developed by Nancy Hult Ganis, Pan Am was a big bet for ABC and Sony, which spent an estimated $10 million to produce the pilot episode. We're not going to spend like drunken fools, but it needs to look a certain way for ABC to be happy and advertisers to be happy and deliver great results for Sony," Sony TV president Steve Mosko said in an interview earlier this year.

The series, starring Christina Ricci, Mike Vogel and Kelli Garner, recently secured Twilight's Ashley Greene for a recurring stint, and had recently named a new showrunner, Lost producer Steven Maeda.

The Hollywood Reporter's chief television critic Tim Goodman noted that Pan Am seemed to be content with showcasing the glamorous side of being a Pan Am stewardess rather than touching on issues of the time period in a substantial manner. "It has neither the exactitude of the times nor the talent of the writers to get at the issues, ala Mad Men, that illuminate the issues of the day," he wrote. "It only has the magazine ad dreams of the times - girls don't have to be their mothers; they can also be modern women who get weighed at work and dumped at 32 for being too old."

Pan Am revolves around the pilots and the stewardesses of the iconic Pan Am airline in 1963.

Lesley Goldberg contributed to this report.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-am-abc-249149

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphish /forum/post/21396077

Don't know if this is the network making a push to get the show out there or simply a sign that it's headed for a permanent grounding, but ALL NINE EPISODES (in both SD and HD) are currently available for FREE at the iTunes Music Store.

]

I seem to remember when "How I Met Your Mother" first came out Amazon gave out episodes for free. Not sure if it helped ratings certainly didn't hurt.

Networks should take this kind of approach with their low rated shows. people can't watch if they don't know these shows exist or they're on at inconvenient times.

#210 ·
has anybody noticed when watching Pan Am in HD with surround sound, the surround effect breaks occasionally so there is an echo in the center channel? like the surround channels get faded to the center for a few seconds, then fade back out?

This has happened enough times regularly, multiple times over multiple episodes for me to notice it. Have not noticed this much on other shows although it may happen more rarely on other ABC shows like Once Upon a Time.

This is on a 7.1 system driven by Denon AVR2809 in Dolby Digital +ProLogic IIx Cinema with the show playing from Tivo HD recording from Comcast HD.

#211 ·
I've seen that happen with a number of shows here in Detroit. Figured it was something amiss, locally. The most habitual offender is "World News Now." Hasn't done it in a couple months, but there for a while it was impossible to sit through. Also had entire episodes of "Castle" reverberate all over the map.

#213 ·
I really hope there is one more episode...I enjoyed the last episode a lot.

Suprising that they used Cronkite for the JFK assassination footage, and not ABC's...? I was reading somewhere that Cronkite was furious that there were no "warmed up" cameras; that's why they only did bulletins for the first 20-25 minutes. After that day, there was always a "standby" camera.

#218 ·
They'd have been better off never showing this episode at all, rather than have it placed so far out of order on so many subplots. Having nearly a month between episodes didn't help, but it was even more jarring to have so much make no sense at all, until I saw Slowbiscuit's reminder that this was that out-of-order episode. Clearly this was not an episode that could easily be run out of place. If I'd known how badly this messed up the storylines, I would have skipped it entirely. Ah well, just one more episode and it's done. The audience really fell off this week, no telling if it's due to the one month gap, or publicity that it's a dead duck, or being warned that this episode made no sense here.

#219 ·
Yes, it was definitely out of order, but it filled in a lot of gaps in the story that I thought they should have showed us. That they should have showed us in order is another matter. I'm just glad that we saw the story developments.

In order or not, Colette was gorgeous in some of those scenes.

Still, twelve or not, finding someone unwelcome in your room at night should have raised more of an alarm, at least my wife thought so. How'd he get in there?

Anyone who smashes their head through a window like that is certifiably mentally unstable!

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg /forum/post/21646433

Were women that promiscuous back in the early 60's? Not only the mores of the time, but also the lack of widespread use of the birth control pill.

The 60's were a great time.
The Free Love movement influenced society to a large degree and without AIDS and whatnot things were far different.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/21645711

Still, twelve or not, finding someone unwelcome in your room at night should have raised more of an alarm, at least my wife thought so. How'd he get in there?

I don't know what they were thinking - that whole deal with the kid was weird and they never explained how he was able to go anywhere he wanted. Made no sense.

#223 ·
I got around to watching the last episode last night. They wrapped the season up nicely since it most likely won't get a 2nd season pick up, yet left a couple of story lines there in case it does. Overall I found the show entertaining if not always factual. Just wondering, did they ever refer to the NY airport by name in any earlier episodes? That was the first time I remember hearing them call it "Idlewild" it's name for most of 1963 and earlier. Wondering if they ever slipped and called it JFK before.

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit /forum/post/21648184

I don't know what they were thinking - that whole deal with the kid was weird and they never explained how he was able to go anywhere he wanted. Made no sense.

Actually, they did: Rich, divorced parents on different continents. He was being shuttled back and forth (for visitation), but apparently the parents couldn't be bothered to actually interact with him on either end of the trip. Simple.

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat /forum/post/21644015

They'd have been better off never showing this episode at all, rather than have it placed so far out of order on so many subplots. Having nearly a month between episodes didn't help, but it was even more jarring to have so much make no sense at all, until I saw Slowbiscuit's reminder that this was that out-of-order episode. Clearly this was not an episode that could easily be run out of place. If I'd known how badly this messed up the storylines, I would have skipped it entirely. Ah well, just one more episode and it's done. The audience really fell off this week, no telling if it's due to the one month gap, or publicity that it's a dead duck, or being warned that this episode made no sense here.

ABC is good at fraking up the air order of series. Body of Proof is another show that they screwed up. They just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Oh, ABC isn't the only network that does this. Fox does it as well. The Finder airs them out-of-production-order sequence as well. They've yet to air the 2nd one.

CBS has aired some episodes of Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods out-of-order as well.

It is a disease that needs to be cured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.