AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#10,881 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy these items for my first build and it will be an exclusive HTPC, no gaming. I was hoping that this is going to be a silent PC build.

Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks!
  • AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W
  • GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
  • Ceton InfiniTV 4
  • Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III
  • 1 TB My Passport USB 3.0
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum GD05B

#10,882 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread /forum/post/21671273

I just pulled very similar triggers after way too much research; couple of comments:

1. The Crucial SSD (which gets rave reviews) is $79.99 on sale right now on both amzn and the egg.

2. There was a recent post (last 3 or 4 pages) concerning the shipping date on that case... I bought the GD 04 from amzn on Friday with super saver shipping and received an email yesterday that it should arrive today.

3. The PSU has a mfg. $20 MIR which you can print off either amzn or newegg.

Keep us posted on the build... I'm very interested in learning more about XBMC, but am definitely going to get Media Browser and some add ins running smoothly first. Congrats and good luck... as my choices were similar/identical.

Thanks for the info! I will document the build from start to finish. Hopefully someone finds it helpful. If New Egg gets in gear I can get started tonight.

#10,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 /forum/post/21672993

Thanks for the info! I will document the build from start to finish. Hopefully someone finds it helpful. If New Egg gets in gear I can get started tonight.

I certainly will. I haven't put a computer from scratch together in 20 years, last machine from scratch was a cutting edge 486 DX. My case just arrived....

#10,884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive /forum/post/21672956

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy these items for my first build and it will be an exclusive HTPC, no gaming. I was hoping that this is going to be a silent PC build.

Any comment or suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks!
  • AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W
  • GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
  • Ceton InfiniTV 4
  • Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III
  • 1 TB My Passport USB 3.0
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum GD05B

Looks like a good build.

If you are wanting a completely silent build then I would consider getting a fan controller and/or swapping the stock fans for something like Nexus or Noctua fans (2 of my favorites). Also you will likely need an aftermarket CPU cooler to achieve this goal as well.

Also, don't forget a PSU.

#10,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread /forum/post/21673076

I certainly will. I haven't put a computer from scratch together in 20 years, last machine from scratch was a cutting edge 486 DX. My case just arrived....

There is a link in the first post of this thread that takes you to the page where I have a few dozen or so build examples.

It used to be on the first page but I broke the AVS servers/software so I had to move it. This was also the main impetus that made me start my blog. If you have been to and used my guides you can see why the AVS server/software would never have been able to handle it.

Also sometimes now even when I update the first post I have to try many times before it "takes". Even that post is on the edge of too big.

Anyway, there is a page in this thread with lots of build pics from actual AVS members.

#10,886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21673116

There is a link in the first post of this thread that takes you to the page where I have a few dozen or so build examples.

It used to be on the first page but I broke the AVS servers/software so I had to move it. This was also the main impetus that made me start my blog. If you have been to and used my guides you can see why the AVS server/software would never have been able to handle it.

Also sometimes now even when I update the first post I have to try many times before it "takes". Even that post is on the edge of too big.

Anyway, there is a page in this thread with lots of build pics from actual AVS members.

And, I plan on reviewing it again before I unwrap anything. For now, just waiting for the HTPC Santa to arrive...

I ended up getting the Asus DVD R/W drive for $23, which could be what holds me back as it is super saving free shipping. I realized I may have to re-purpose the DMA 2200 to another room and the kids frequently watch DVDs in that room... I'm in all in right now for $940 which is fine. I'll post my buys if anyone wants to see them but right now I'm taking my son to Star Wars Episode 1 in 3D for his 7th bday.

But, yes, I will definitely be referencing many things you have written over the next few weeks... that usenet guide you posted earlier could be in my future...

#10,888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21673101

Looks like a good build.

If you are wanting a completely silent build then I would consider getting a fan controller and/or swapping the stock fans for something like Nexus or Noctua fans (2 of my favorites). Also you will likely need an aftermarket CPU cooler to achieve this goal as well.

Also, don't forget a PSU.

Thanks Assasin.

I still have this old PSU lying around but forgot to mention it.
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Do you think it's enough for this build? Also, what after market CPU cooler do you recommend? This is an awesome thread and thank you so much for giving help to everyone here. Keep it up!

#10,889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive /forum/post/21673576

Thanks Assasin.

I still have this old PSU lying around but forgot to mention it.
  • CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Do you think it's enough for this build? Also, what after market CPU cooler do you recommend? This is an awesome thread and thank you so much for giving help to everyone here. Keep it up!

400watts is enough.

You can use it

#10,890 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21671518

Hey guys i need your help!!!

I bought gt440 to watch movies from my pc over hdmi but i have BIG problem, i've installed newest drivers connect hdmi to onkyo 3008 hdmi in and and it's shows me NO SIGNAL...on nVidia control panel i have setup everything like this : monitors in dualview Sony TV + TX-NR3008 ( so gt see my onkyo amp ) main monitor is Sony...In resolution i have 1080p, 1920x1080 for onkyo refresh 50hz colour 32bit...so everything looks ok for me...But when go to on TV output for my HDMI1 there is black screen and shows me NO SIGNAL on amp the small hdmi icon on amp is flashing and nothing happen... What is really strange that when i restart my PC and i have my tv on HDMI i see when Bios is starting and windows booting but after the windows desktop should load i lost connection, i mean that is black screen and no signal again
(( and the same for HDaudio everything i sound devices in control panel is ok but again no signal i going to amp....Can somebody help me pls cause im really frustrated now and dont what to do

I think there may be something strange with your set up in Nvidia control panel. I've checked mine and the only thing connected is my receiver and no Display. My connections are HDMI from GT440 to Receiver HDMI in and HDMI out from Receiver to Panasonic Plasma. Therefore the GT440 doesn't even know about the Panasonic. You haven't listed out how you're connected so I don't know if your connections are the same but might be worth checking.

#10,891 ·
Starting to receive components for the build...

Just a note to those purchasing the PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400 PS, and the Silverstone GD05 case, you have to remove the left side case fan for install. You may be able to wiggle it in, but just removing 4 screws/fan allows for a scratch free PS! These are perfect for each other

#10,892 ·
I'm planning to connect the HTPC HDMI output of the motherboard to the TV and run the optical directly to the Yamaha receiver. This will allow me to watch TV without the need to turn the receiver on and if I need to watch 5.1, then I simply mute the sound of the TV and power the surround receiver ON.

So about the motherboard:

Do you guys know if this motherboard will output HDMI and "5.1 optical audio" at the same time?

#10,893 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21669718

I am not aware of any tuner devices for Satellite.

You can use a Colossus capture card but its not going to be exactly the same as the other tuner cards.

See the Colossus thread for more info.

I am new to satellite and tuner cards, sorry. The feeds are in DVBS:

SkyLogic: www . lyngsat . com/eb9a . html

FreeSat: www . lyngsat . com/28east . html

Based on the below, I am going to need a Tuner card for the Freesat, and a set top box to decode the Skylogic (paid subscription):

DVB-S. Digital Video Broadcasting Satellite (DVB-S) is the digital TV broadcasting method that is transmitted by satellite in Europe and other parts of the world. Whether the digital signal is free-to-air or fee-based, Windows Media Center requires a set-top box to support this broadcasting standard. The DVB-S satellite transmission protocol was created by the Digital Video Broadcasting Project, an industry organization that develops technologies for digital TV.

Satellite TV is a TV system in which the signal is transmitted to an orbiting satellite that receives the signal, amplifies it, and then transmits it back to earth. Satellite TV signals are a digital format, although most of the standard televisions in the United States have analog format. To enable playback on an analog TV signal, the satellite TV receiver converts the digital signal into an analog format that a standard television can recognize and play back. There are two digital signal types for satellite TV:

Free-to-air. DVB-S is the primary signal type for free-to-air satellite TV. This type of program content is available around the world and is popular in Europe.

Fee-based. The majority of direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV signals are encrypted, and therefore can only be viewed through a paid subscription. Subscribers receive set-top boxes from their TV providers; the set-top boxes decrypt the signals for encrypted programs. Windows Media Center supports DTH satellite content through the TV provider's set-top box.

Can I get 7MC to show both feeds in the same EPG, and record from both at the same time etc?

Thanks,

Bob.

#10,894 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings /forum/post/21673580

I think there may be something strange with your set up in Nvidia control panel. I've checked mine and the only thing connected is my receiver and no Display. My connections are HDMI from GT440 to Receiver HDMI in and HDMI out from Receiver to Panasonic Plasma. Therefore the GT440 doesn't even know about the Panasonic. You haven't listed out how you're connected so I don't know if your connections are the same but might be worth checking.

I have the same like u HDMI from gt440 to HDMI in and HDMI out from amp to TV...im using as well DVI to VGA in TV due to this issue. But i tried as well something like this : ive switch off PC TV and amp and i leaved just hdmi connection but was the same issue i sow bios startup and booting windows but after when should be loaded desktop the picture go black and was NO SIGNAL on amp...so thats why im using DVI to VGA...even i tried to do in control panel to setup just one main display TX-NR3008 is still problem...only what is good that my amp was recognized cause i see it on control panel...

Ok i found something...i uninstalled drivers and restart PC and without drivers it's working thru HDMI but cause there is no drivers i cant setup resolution etc...but it was working, after installation new beta drivers we coming back to same problem
for is looking the VGA controller is taking over the HDMI signal...

#10,896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21673962

I have the same like u HDMI from gt440 to HDMI in and HDMI out from amp to TV...im using as well DVI to VGA in TV due to this issue. But i tried as well something like this : ive switch off PC TV and amp and i leaved just hdmi connection but was the same issue i sow bios startup and booting windows but after when should be loaded desktop the picture go black and was NO SIGNAL on amp...so thats why im using DVI to VGA...even i tried to do in control panel to setup just one main display TX-NR3008 is still problem...only what is good that my amp was recognized cause i see it on control panel...

Ok i found something...i uninstalled drivers and restart PC and without drivers it's working thru HDMI but cause there is no drivers i cant setup resolution etc...but it was working, after installation new beta drivers we coming back to same problem
for is looking the VGA controller is taking over the HDMI signal...

The fact that you can see bios startup and windows booting should mean that at least the cables are ok but would also seem to indicate that one of your Windows drivers or settings are causing the blank screen. I believe Assassin suggested a different driver. Have you tried rolling back to an earlier driver? Same issue or ....? You also mentioned that another user with the same receiver had reported a similar issue so I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the receiver settings or the way the receiver handles HDMI connections?

#10,897 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings /forum/post/21674166

The fact that you can see bios startup and windows booting should mean that at least the cables are ok but would also seem to indicate that one of your Windows drivers or settings are causing the blank screen. I believe Assassin suggested a different driver. Have you tried rolling back to an earlier driver? Same issue or ....? You also mentioned that another user with the same receiver had reported a similar issue so I'm wondering if it has something to do with either the receiver settings or the way the receiver handles HDMI connections?

I have connected PS3 to my amp and everything is working fine...so i think HDMI connections working like they should

Like i add few minutes ago when i dont have any drivers installed everything work like should i mean i see my desktop and everything but due to this that i have not installed any drivers i cant setup properly resolution...i can install old old drivers from my 7900gs that they are not compatible with gt440...i will try now to install exact same drivers what Assassin suggested me...

OK i've installed another drivers and still the same problem

#10,898 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberguy34 /forum/post/21673752

Starting to receive components for the build...

Just a note to those purchasing the PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400 PS, and the Silverstone GD05 case, you have to remove the left side case fan for install. You may be able to wiggle it in, but just removing 4 screws/fan allows for a scratch free PS! These are perfect for each other

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a great fit! Still waiting for my GD05 to ship.

#10,899 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive /forum/post/21673915

I'm planning to connect the HTPC HDMI output of the motherboard to the TV and run the optical directly to the Yamaha receiver. This will allow me to watch TV without the need to turn the receiver on and if I need to watch 5.1, then I simply mute the sound of the TV and power the surround receiver ON.

So about the motherboard:

Do you guys know if this motherboard will output HDMI and "5.1 optical audio" at the same time?

No. You can do HDMI or optical but not both at once. As far as I know anyway.

#10,900 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGeoffries /forum/post/21673936

I am new to satellite and tuner cards, sorry. The feeds are in DVBS:

SkyLogic: www . lyngsat . com/eb9a . html

FreeSat: www . lyngsat . com/28east . html

Based on the below, I am going to need a Tuner card for the Freesat, and a set top box to decode the Skylogic (paid subscription):

DVB-S. Digital Video Broadcasting Satellite (DVB-S) is the digital TV broadcasting method that is transmitted by satellite in Europe and other parts of the world. Whether the digital signal is free-to-air or fee-based, Windows Media Center requires a set-top box to support this broadcasting standard. The DVB-S satellite transmission protocol was created by the Digital Video Broadcasting Project, an industry organization that develops technologies for digital TV.

Satellite TV is a TV system in which the signal is transmitted to an orbiting satellite that receives the signal, amplifies it, and then transmits it back to earth. Satellite TV signals are a digital format, although most of the standard televisions in the United States have analog format. To enable playback on an analog TV signal, the satellite TV receiver converts the digital signal into an analog format that a standard television can recognize and play back. There are two digital signal types for satellite TV:

Free-to-air. DVB-S is the primary signal type for free-to-air satellite TV. This type of program content is available around the world and is popular in Europe.

Fee-based. The majority of direct-to-home (DTH) satellite TV signals are encrypted, and therefore can only be viewed through a paid subscription. Subscribers receive set-top boxes from their TV providers; the set-top boxes decrypt the signals for encrypted programs. Windows Media Center supports DTH satellite content through the TV provider's set-top box.

Can I get 7MC to show both feeds in the same EPG, and record from both at the same time etc?

Thanks,

Bob.

Honestly I have no idea as we don't have any of those in the States that I am able to test.

Post your question in the general forum and I am sure someone will help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.