AVS Forum banner

The Official AVS TiVo "Series4" Premiere topic

378K views 4K replies 290 participants last post by  dturturro 
#1 ·

#1,402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/21643103

In a prior post I had asked if there is a way to delete an entire directory or folder of recorded shows from the TiVo, instead of deleting them individually one by one. Since no one has answered, do I assume the answer is "No"?

Yes. You can delete an entire folder.

Hit the clear button when the folder is selected, and then it will give you the option of deleting the folder or keeping it so you can't accidentally delete it. And once it's deleted you can't bring the entire folder back at once but you can recover the individual shows from the "recently deleted" folder.

#1,403 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21643087

The ELite doesn't have this issue because there isn't an ATSC tuner so there are no ATSC channels. But this has always been the case with the TiVos with OTA and cable/satellite. The same thing would happen in 2004 with my HD TiVo on DirecTV if you pressed 7.

But for me it is an extremely rare situation since I very rarely type in a channel number. I typically go to a channel by selecting the content from the guide.

But if I did go to an OTA HD channel it wasn't an issue either since I've been using 7.1, 7.2 etc for channel numbers since I first started watching HD in 2001.

WSPA on the OP cable system has an analog 7 and a QAM 7.1. It shows that in Wiki. My TV will also let me hit a 7 and tune to it. If I tune 84 I get dead air, but channel up gets me my 84.1 with NBC HD. The TV doesn't have a cable card. I am surprised that channels with decimal numbers are listed when a cable box or card is used. I have no digital OTA experience and my raw clear QAM channels have their PSIP stripped.

#1,404 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit /forum/post/21642963

Cablecard should indeed result in the same lineup as your STB, assuming you pick the proper lineup in guided setup. Then you can uncheck all the channels you don't want, including the SD dupes of the HDs.

Yesterday the cable card was installed. Only took about ten minutes since I had everything ready. This morning I noticed on the guide that there were duplicate blocks without titles, but the channel numbers were correct. I went through the web site and it said to redo the setup. I did. All data is now correct, no duplicates, looks great.

It can be tricky in my zipcode since my feed supports three different lineups. So I had to play guess the channel instead of selecting my exact feed. All good now. Just finished deleting 90% of my channels and selecting favorites.

BTW, just like my TVGOS, the lineup reflects analog channels from 2007.

#1,408 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21643122

Yes. You can delete an entire folder.

Hit the clear button when the folder is selected, and then it will give you the option of deleting the folder or keeping it so you can't accidentally delete it. And once it's deleted you can't bring the entire folder back at once but you can recover the individual shows from the "recently deleted" folder.

Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it.

#1,409 ·
Newbie question: I have my guide set to display favorites. I have selected many other valid channels, but only a dozen favorites. When the unit gets the guide info, is it supposed to only use favorites? I just made The Daily Show a favorite, then went to the guide and it wasn't there. I changed the guide to all channels and it found it. I went to search for it and the box said it didn't exist. I wanted to add it to my season pass list.

#1,410 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21654013

I just made The Daily Show a favorite, then went to the guide and it wasn't there. ... I wanted to add it to my season pass list.

For the Daily Show, I HIGHLY recommend recording it via the Tupper Method - click here.

It's a little more complicated to set up, but you'll never have to worry about multiple recordings or reruns. I also do this for Colbert.

#1,412 ·
Just found this thread. Had an XL past three years and an Elite past three months.

Searched and could not find any reaction or information about TiVo dropping the

"Browes TV & Movies" page or menu. http://www.tivo.com/

All TiVo CS will tell me is "software changes were made and that feature was eliminated.

I thought that was a big deal but TiVo doesn't seem to think so.

#1,414 ·
Thanks NxNW, that's what I was looking for. I really liked that home page. What irritates me the feature is still shown in TiVo's product descriptions and ads which is very misleading. No notice was given to subscribers. They just pulled it. Very caviler of them. Not an earth shaking thing but does tick me off.

After all my complaining someone on the TiVo Community told me to check my menu setting which I was sure was set to HD. I checked and it was set to SD. My bad.

#1,415 ·
I'm thinking about the Premier lines but the monthly and lifetime fees are ridiculous.

I need two DVRs and supposedly you can access recordings on other Tivo Premiers on the network through wireless? How well does that work in practice? Does it stutter often?

Do you need to buy some kind of wireless to ethernet bridge in addition to the DVRs?

Would it be possible to buy two, like an Elite and a regular Premier and use the latter as kind of a media extender? That is, put the Cable Card in the Elite and get Lifetime sub for it but for the regular Premier, don't get Cable Card, just use to view recordings from the Elite, thus avoid the monthly Tivo fees?

Actually, since I learned about the Ceton Q and Echo, maybe just go monthly on the Tivo for a year or so and then change over to the Ceton, if it delivers as promised.

#1,416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 /forum/post/21663311

I'm thinking about the Premier lines but the monthly and lifetime fees are ridiculous.

I need two DVRs and supposedly you can access recordings on other Tivo Premiers on the network through wireless? How well does that work in practice? Does it stutter often?

Do you need to buy some kind of wireless to ethernet bridge in addition to the DVRs?

Would it be possible to buy two, like an Elite and a regular Premier and use the latter as kind of a media extender? That is, put the Cable Card in the Elite and get Lifetime sub for it but for the regular Premier, don't get Cable Card, just use to view recordings from the Elite, thus avoid the monthly Tivo fees?

Actually, since I learned about the Ceton Q and Echo, maybe just go monthly on the Tivo for a year or so and then change over to the Ceton, if it delivers as promised.

Many people would say the price of a BMW or a Mercedes is ridiculous, but other people feel they are worth it. I have one Premiere and don't do streaming, but I believe it works well with a good network connection. Some people can achieve a good connection with wireless equipment, while others use wired or powerline adapters or MoCA adapters. You can't use the networking features (streaming, etc) of a TiVo without a subscription (monthly or product lifetime). TiVo has a "media extender" called the Preview that may currently be available through some cable providers, but I don't know much about it since I'm OTA only.

IMNSHO, every TV should eventually have some built-in facility for content-protected streaming, restrictive enough that the entertainment-industry lawyers (and their legislators) will allow U.S. consumers to have it. If and when that happens, TiVo should allow streaming using that standard method. But if TiVo gets as greedy as the cable companies, they might resist allowing streaming to anything they can't sell you.

#1,417 ·
Well the D* DVRs are fine and I wouldn't call them Chevys to Tivo's BMW.

The gap in costs is enormous between the two. I rugged around Tivo's financials for recent quarters and looks like their profits are being boosted by patent litigation wins, which are one-time payments.

So the business of selling hardware isn't too profitable, if at all for them.

They might go the way of Kodak, which invented a lot of the digital photography technology but was never a contender in selling digicams. Now they are reduced to extracting patent fees from successful companies.

#1,418 ·

Quote:

I have two Premiers. I already had a Wireless N WiFi Router. I bought a wireless N adapter for one TiVo, the other was close enough to the router it's plugged in with an Ethernet cable.

It only took a minute to configure the TiVos to see each other.

The new streaming feature in the latest software release Just Works, both directions.

(Not sure what would happen if I didn't have service on one of the TiVos?)

No stuttering. No wires. No problems.

(Wireless N speeds are key)

#1,420 ·

Quote:

I recently switched to my local cable company's triple play package and purchased a Tivo Premiere (for $80 purchase + $20/mo guide fee) as my primary DVR, because the cable company DVR blows.

My cable company charges $7 per cable box + $11 per box for DVR capability for a total of $18/mo per DVR. For $2-3 more per month for a Tivo, I certainly don't see the monthly fee as ridiculous.

#1,422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 /forum/post/21664324

The cable DVR fees are ridiculous too.

You pay $6 or $7 per DVR on D*. I think it's similarly priced on E* too.

I just left satellite TV for my local cable. While the DVR fee on an invoice may be less, they simply make their money in other ways, like charging a separate fee for a maintenance contract and charging more for HD packages. Additionally, you have to pay upfront for new hardware (DVRs included) or alternatively, accept a "free" upgrade offer that locks you into an additional two year service agreement. All of these companies are in the business of making money, of course, they just have different ways of collecting.

Ultimately, you need to compare the available services in your area and sum the total cost for comparable service to find what works best for you.

#1,423 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 /forum/post/0

Well the D* DVRs are fine and I wouldn't call them Chevys to Tivo's BMW.

The gap in costs is enormous between the two. I rugged around Tivo's financials for recent quarters and looks like their profits are being boosted by patent litigation wins, which are one-time payments.

So the business of selling hardware isn't too profitable, if at all for them.

They might go the way of Kodak, which invented a lot of the digital photography technology but was never a contender in selling digicams. Now they are reduced to extracting patent fees from successful companies.

The money from the recent litigation wins is spread out over several years. They will receive payments every quarter for multiple years.

#1,424 ·
As some here may know, in January I installed three Premier XL's, each with a TiVo Wireless-N adapter. Since completing the installation, I've been working towards improving the "wireless" portion of my home network.

As backgound information, the wireless portion of my existing network was 802.11g and my Cable Modem, Router (not wireless), and Wireless Access Point were located in my upstairs office. The office is located in the "bonus room" over my attached garage, which extends outward from the front of my home in kind of an "L" shape. In other words, the Wireless Access Point was just about as far away from the 3 TiVo's located downstairs in the main part of the home as you could get.
Before the TiVo's, we got acceptable wireless performance to other upstairs rooms and the closer rooms downstairs (closer than where the TiVo's are). The TiVo's were getting good enough wireless signal to get the Guide, but Internet viewing and streaming between TiVo's was very iffy.

So in my quest to improve I bought 2 new wireless Routers (NetGear WNDR4000) which have simultaneous 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz operation, and have bandwidth (theoretical) ratings of up to 300 and 450mbps. I quickly learned that the 5Ghz signal is much more susceptable to being degraded by traveling through walls and such.

I currently have the upstairs WNDR4000 configured to act as the Router, and it also has both transmitters configured and turned "On". Each transmitter on this WNDR4000 has a unique SSID.

I currently have the downstairs WNDR4000 configured to act as a Wireless Access Point only, and it also has both transmitters configured and turned "On". The 2.4Ghz transmitter on this WNDR4000 has an SSID to match the 2.4Ghz SSID on the upstairs unit, and the 5Ghz transmitter on this WNDR4000 has an SSID to match the 5Ghz SSID on the upstairs unit. The channel assignments between upstairs and downstairs are unique and spaced 6 channels apart.

The downstairs WNDR4000 is currently connected to the upstairs WNDR4000 via a long Cat5e cable running through the interior of the house and up the stairs to reach the upstairs WNDR4000. I plan to replace this Cat5e cable in the next few days with MoCA bridges attached to an existing (unused) coax cable that I have easy access to at both the upstairs and downstairs ends near where the WNDR4000's are located.

With this setup I am getting a decent signal strength throughout my house at all the computers and at the TiVo's (3 bars on every TiVo).

But I still don't know if I'm getting the optimum (well, wireless optimum) experience. The WNDR4000's have a WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) button, as do the TiVo adapters. So now the questions . . .

When using the WPS buttons, does the TiVo adapter pick up BOTH the 2.4Ghz AND the 5Ghz confurations, or only one of them?

If only one, how does the TiVo adapter decide WHICH one?

If any wireless "G" devices are on the network at any given time, does the whole wireless system drop to "G" speeds for all attached devices, or will the TiVo's still operate at "N" speeds?

Is there any way to give the TiVo's "names" that will show up on my home network when I look to see "connected devices"? Currently I only see the IP addresses I assigned to the Tivo's. I use fixed IP addresses in my network.. so I can recognize the TiVo's currently only by the addresses I have assigned. If I was using DHCP, I guess I would have to memorize MAC addresses?

I'm sure I have more questions... but I've had such a confusing few days I'm not even sure now what my other questions are...

#1,425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/21674454

When using the WPS buttons, does the TiVo adapter pick up BOTH the 2.4Ghz AND the 5Ghz confurations, or only one of them?

If only one, how does the TiVo adapter decide WHICH one?

If any wireless "G" devices are on the network at any given time, does the whole wireless system drop to "G" speeds for all attached devices, or will the TiVo's still operate at "N" speeds?

I'm sure I have more questions... but I've had such a confusing few days I'm not even sure now what my other questions are...

Amazing how we sync up.

I have a WNDR4000 that supplies wireless data to my Premier. My observations indicate it will use the 5Ghz band if it's there. Both my Blu-Ray and TV run there. Sadly, the latest update from Netgear hid the speed screen, as poor as it was. There is a WNDR4000 thread, but it's not so good. I have the router set as DHCP but all devices have reservations. I am using WPA2-PSK [AES].

I have my old Dell PC and AVR wired. My laptop doesn't support "a/n", so it's stuck at 2.4, but I don't care. The default name for the Tivo is "TIVO" followed by the S/N. I don't know if/how that can be changed.

My Tivo adapter has blue lights. That's a good thing. I'm sorry if I haven't given you the answer you needed. Others may have more accurate information. I have no way to test the performance, since I only have the one Premier.

#1,426 ·
Yes, it's quite a coincidence that you have the same Router...

I'm currently using WPA2-PSK [TKIP] + [AES] because my desktop in the kitchen has an older wireless "G" card and I haven't been able to get it to connect if I just use [AES]. Also my son (currently away at TCU) has an XBox with an older Linksys wireless adapter that may not do [AES] either. I won't know that one until he comes home for Spring Break.

I'm not sure why you say Blue lights on the TiVo adapter "is a good thing"? I believe that Green or Blue can both be "N" speeds, but Green is 2.4Ghz and Blue is 5Ghz. I get more "bars" with Green, due to 2.4Ghz having better penetration of walls. The supposed advantage of Blue (5Ghz) is less interference from other radio sources. But does "less interference" trump "more bars"? That's another one of my un-asked questions.

Did you use the WPS buttons to do the TiVo adapter configuration? When you do the configuration manually (by computer) there is only a place to enter one SSID. That's what prompts my question about whether the WPS button picks up a configuration for each of the WNDR4000's two SSID's.

Note: The WNDR4000 "out of the box" firmware allowed setting both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID's to the same value (I did that briefly). The latest upgraded firmware does not allow this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.