AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#10,901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21674337

I have connected PS3 to my amp and everything is working fine...so i think HDMI connections working like they should

Like i add few minutes ago when i dont have any drivers installed everything work like should i mean i see my desktop and everything but due to this that i have not installed any drivers i cant setup properly resolution...i can install old old drivers from my 7900gs that they are not compatible with gt440...i will try now to install exact same drivers what Assassin suggested me...

OK i've installed another drivers and still the same problem

I honestly don't know.

As I said I can't help much with XP.

#10,903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21674508

So do u think that only way would be to change windows?

Honestly I am not sure. I haven't used XP or XP drivers for NVidia in years.

You might want to try the main forum. I do know for reading threads like this one that the beta drivers seem to fix this issue in Win7. But I have no idea for XP.

Try this (from that thread):
Quote:
Fixed:

Attached a Monitor to the machine. TV OFF

Booted up to Default drivers

Installed the 290.36 BETA drivers

restarted

Monitor comes up fine.

Turned TV on. (Identified as Samsung) Came up as Second monitor

It was on an odd resolution, Set it to 1920x1080 (Running at 60 hz currently)

Then adjusted it for the Bezel via Nvidia's control panel.

set it as Monitor one

worked.

Something to do with the resolution I suppose.

#10,905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlive /forum/post/21674523

This is a bummer... How are you guys splitting the Video+Audio HTPC connection to your TV and receiver. By HDMI splitter?

If your AV receiver has HDMI (carries both HD Audio and HD Video):

HDMI out from HTPC ---> AV Receiver HDMI in ----> AV Receiver HDMI out to HDTV

If your AV receiver does not have HDMI (cannot do HD Audio this way but can do DTS and DD):

HDMI out from HTPC ---> HDTV (video only)

HTPC optical Out ---> AV Receiver optical in (audio only)

BTW --- I go over all of this in my guides for you in detail.

#10,906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21674521

Honestly I am not sure. I haven't used XP or XP drivers for NVidia in years.

You might want to try the main forum. I do know for reading threads like this one that the beta drivers seem to fix this issue in Win7. But I have no idea for XP.

Try this (from that thread):

Yes but this is about connecting graphic card with tv by hdmi and I dont wanna this way ( will lose HDaudio)...and what i need is to send proper signal to onkyo and from onkyo to TV, im not using monitor.

#10,907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21674582

Yes but this is about connecting graphic card with tv by hdmi and I dont wanna this way ( will lose HDaudio)...and what i need is to send proper signal to onkyo and from onkyo to TV, im not using monitor.

He used his monitor to setup the resolution for the HDTV which was also connected. Then disconnected his monitor when he was done.

This has everything to do with what you are trying to do.

#10,908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21674597

He used his monitor to setup the resolution for the HDTV which was also connected. Then disconnected his monitor when he was done.

This has everything to do with what you are trying to do.

So i had a problem now cause i dont have any monitors at home

And connection DVI--> VGA on tv working fine i can set the resolution up 1920x1080 but can get it working thru amp... will try tomorrow to connect gt440 hdmi out to hdmi in straight to TV

Just for the records...connected gt440 straight to tv hdmi in and we have same problem....

#10,910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 /forum/post/21674657

So i had a problem now cause i dont have any monitors at home

And connection DVI--> VGA on tv working fine i can set the resolution up 1920x1080 but can get it working thru amp... will try tomorrow to connect gt440 hdmi out to hdmi in straight to TV

Just for the records...connected gt440 straight to tv hdmi in and we have same problem....

Right. Because (assuming you have the same problem as the guy I posted above) your HTPC is setting the gt440 at a resolution that either your NVidia or the HDTV does not support. So you connect the monitor via VGA to "remote in" if you will and change the display properties for your AVR or HDTV on the gt440 HDMI output.

I don't know how else to explain it.

#10,911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrino /forum/post/0

Assassin, I'm currently on guide #2 and have a question about your choice of LAV Filters for media playback. Is this an alternative to something like the Shark007 codec pack I hear people using? If so, will Lav Filters cover most of the common video formats? Thanks!

Lav Filters is all you need. It should run all your media. I only had Lav Filters for the first 6 months my HTPC was running. Recently had to install Shark007 Codecs, though, in order to be able to play all media types on my Xbox extenders.

#10,912 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrino /forum/post/21674745

Assassin, I'm currently on guide #2 and have a question about your choice of LAV Filters for media playback. Is this an alternative to something like the Shark007 codec pack I hear people using? If so, will Lav Filters cover most of the common video formats? Thanks!

Of course. What kind of operation do you think I am running here?

Shark007 is a good pack and I have used it a lot in the past. The LAV solution for me is just much more simple and straightforward. I prefer LAV but there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Shark007 instead. I like simple and I like what works best. For me that's LAV.

FYI Shark now includes LAV in his codec pack.

#10,913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel /forum/post/0

How did you get Media Browser to show up in the Movies menu? Currently mine has its one menu, but it would be nice in the movies menu instead

Yes, yes! How did you get MB in the 'Movies' strip?

#10,915 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21674863

Probably with Media Center Studio.

Hmmm.... last time I used MCS it made WMC unstable, and I lost the link to Netflix. Scared to try it again!

#10,917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennybags /forum/post/21675038

In addition to shark is there a K-Lite pack? Is that similar? I have a question for you assassin. In the second part of your guide when connecting live tv to WMC, you select antenna. What antenna are you using to get local digital? Thanks.

I tell you all what codec or codec packs to use. I have been there and done that. I did all this legwork for you. Just follow the guides. They take the guess work out of all of this.

You mean like what model antenna? I don't recall. Check something like antennaweb which can help guide you to the best antenna.

#10,918 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedread /forum/post/21663044

That would be greatly appreciated. I should man up and go with the i3 over the i5, but, I'm a ***** and would prefer to be safe. I should pull the trigger this weekend (but, again, I'm a.. nevermind).

I think you may have already picked out your parts, but I did finally do some testing with 3 Xbox360 extenders plus the HTPC all running. Here's what I found:

Running live HDTV on HTPC

Running live HDTV on 1 Xbox360

Running recorded HDTV on 2 Xbox360s

~30% CPU utilization (2 logical cores ~50%, 1 ~10%, 1 ~0%)

2.3GB RAM in use, 4.3GB RAM on standby, 1.1 GB RAM modified, .3 GB Hardware Reserved, .24 GB Free (8GB total)

No sweat.

#10,920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec /forum/post/21675252

I think you may have already picked out your parts, but I did finally do some testing with 3 Xbox360 extenders plus the HTPC all running. Here's what I found:

Running live HDTV on HTPC

Running live HDTV on 1 Xbox360

Running recorded HDTV on 2 Xbox360s

~30% CPU utilization (2 logical cores ~50%, 1 ~10%, 1 ~0%)

2.3GB RAM in use, 4.3GB RAM on standby, 1.1 GB RAM modified, .3 GB Hardware Reserved, .24 GB Free (8GB total)

No sweat.

Wow, thank you for testing that.. the i3 is an impressive CPU for any HTPC build. I did already pick out my parts and due to the bundle deal the difference between the i3 and i5 was only about $50 bucks at Micro Center I erred on the side of caution.

But, this gives credence to what Assassin has been saying since... well, page 1. There is no need to go heavier than an i3. I had a feeling MSFT's recommendation was pre Sandy Bridge and could have been outdated.

I and many others appreciate your taking the time to perform that test. I'm off to the city, will check in tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.