AVS Forum banner
986K views 8K replies 785 participants last post by  d.a.v.e 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Since the master Definitive thread is upwards of 90 pages, I thought we could dedicate a thread to the ProCinema series owners. I personally just bought the 600 series (comes with ProSub 600 8").

Thus far, I've rewatched Gladiator in surround sound and it sounds pretty impressive. I've also played Call of Duty 2 on my Xbox 360 and the gunshots and grenades come from all over the place utilizing all the 5.1 speakers... intense!! That was actually a better use than Gladiator. I also watched 5.1 baseball on ESPN HD and you can hear the crowd noise coming from the surrounds.

I plan to ceiling mount the surrounds at least so I'm currently looking for ceiling mounts... any suggestions?

Let's hear what Procinema setups you all have ... I think DT makes some great speakers. I had never heard of them until about a month ago, but now, I'm a convert!

#5,899 ·
HT Setup:

4 ProMonitor 1000's

ProCenter 2000

Epik Legend Sub

Pioneer VSX-53 Receiver

I am wondering what cross over setting I should set my pioneer receiver at. Also I assume I set the speakers to small also. My receiver has 1 single crossover setting for all speakers.

If I run full MCACC the receiver sets speakers to large and crossover to 150Hz which does not seem right to me.

Also I was not sure what setting to set my Sub's crossover at.

#5,900 ·
80Hz is the recommended crossover for the PM1000s. While I think you can get away with 60 on the PC2000, I would go with 80 to match the rest of the speakers, and because 80 is getting to be something of a standard.

I also have 1000s and a 2000, specifically so I could cross all my speakers over at the same 80Hz with a Pioneer receiver that doesn't support different xover frequencies per speaker.

You're using the receiver's bass management, so you should not also use the sub's. That means setting the sub's crossover to bypass, or its highest setting if there's no bypass.

#5,901 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/21679763

80Hz is the recommended crossover for the PM1000s. While I think you can get away with 60 on the PC2000, I would go with 80 to match the rest of the speakers, and because 80 is getting to be something of a standard.

I also have 1000s and a 2000, specifically so I could cross all my speakers over at the same 80Hz with a Pioneer receiver that doesn't support different xover frequencies per speaker.

You're using the receiver's bass management, so you should not also use the sub's. That means setting the sub's crossover to bypass, or its highest setting if there's no bypass.

Okay thanks for the help. What about the speaker size, am I right to set this on small?

I also have a phase setting on my sub which has either 0 or 180 should I leave that at 0?

#5,902 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidflex /forum/post/0

Okay thanks for the help. What about the speaker size, am I right to set this on small?

I also have a phase setting on my sub which has either 0 or 180 should I leave that at 0?

Small is correct.

Basically, the phase switch should be set to the position that produces the strongest bass at your listening position. Play music with strong, steady bass to evaluate this.

#5,903 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidflex /forum/post/21679600

HT Setup:

4 ProMonitor 1000's

ProCenter 2000

Epik Legend Sub

Pioneer VSX-53 Receiver

I am wondering what cross over setting I should set my pioneer receiver at. Also I assume I set the speakers to small also. My receiver has 1 single crossover setting for all speakers.

If I run full MCACC the receiver sets speakers to large and crossover to 150Hz which does not seem right to me.

Set the speakers to small unless the AVR has already done this.

Let MCACC determine what to set the XO. crossover points that are set after each calibration will change as the speakers breakin and these are how your speakers sound in your room. Many revert to DT XO points, problem is those were calculated using a prefect acoustic room, which is not the same as your room.

Your AVR knows what its doing and the calibration computer is telling the system your speakers should be set to this OX based on the reading from the microphone placement. Does your MCACC offer more than one postion for mic placement, I thought I read this was going to be added on new AVR to help give better sound

Are you using a tripod to place the mic on, this is very important and is the placement on your seat or infront of it and at ear level. These might seem small items but you are calibrating the sound for your ears and mic placment is very important.

#5,904 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidflex /forum/post/0

HT Setup:

4 ProMonitor 1000's

ProCenter 2000

Epik Legend Sub

Pioneer VSX-53 Receiver

You really don't want to say this speaker should be crossed over at 80Hz period. That does not take into account your room, speaker placement and listener placement. All of which impact the auto cal systems choice of 150hz. Tell us about those things.

#5,905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic /forum/post/0

You really don't want to say this speaker should be crossed over at 80Hz period. That does not take into account your room, speaker placement and listener placement. All of which impact the auto cal systems choice of 150hz. Tell us about those things.

If MCACC chose 150Hz with these speakers, there is something wrong. Maybe with the room, maybe with the speaker or subwoofer placement, maybe with the calibration. But it shouldn't be accepted; it's too much of a compromise, too much of a waste of the mid-bass capabilities of these very good speakers. They don't sound like satellites specifically because they are so strong between 80 and 120Hz.

#5,906 ·
Well the 350's i got one of them has a blown speaker. I also hooked up the subwoofer with lfe and the sub doesnt work hooked up that way
. I will be sending the 350's back and not sure what to do about the sub.

Since i am returning these 350's just going to upgrade and get the 450's.

When i plug the cable into the sub it does make a quick sound but no other sound is made. Any suggestions on getting the sub to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

#5,908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/21468103

Make sure you get the PC2000 with the PM1000 mains and not the PC1000, I think the PC1000 is part of the ProCinema 1000 system, you'd want the ProCinema 1000 Plus system . The PC1000 is meant to be used with the PM800's check driver size for both and you'll see the PC1000 uses a smaller driver. Another way is to use another PM1000 as a center. Three of the same speakers across the front is ideal but many of us can't fit a mains speaker in most cabinets center space. So the PC2000 is the next best bet same size drivers as the PM1000's

Now you could save some money by getting PM800's for the rears and sides. It is not a rule the rears must be the same size as the front of the system.

Does the Pioneer have a sub calibration section if so that will help a lot.

Hi Plex, I have been reading a lot of your posts here and got myself a procinema 800 set (procenter 1000 + 4 promonitor 800 + prosub 800)

I am so far happy with the sound quality I am geting with my denon 1912 which is UK version and has multeq XT,

the audyssey set the speakers crossed to 100, but I increased it to 120 and sometimes 150, first thing, what would you recommend as optimum crossover

now for music listening...is the PM800 sufficient to sound good with music or do I need to upgrade it to PM1000 ? I like to hear all details in music

my room size is not that much its around 350 sq feets, so getting a procenter 2000 + PM 1000 will be a overkill ?

kindly suggest if my system need any upgradation...thanks

#5,909 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpiles /forum/post/21685442

Well the 350's i got one of them has a blown speaker. I also hooked up the subwoofer with lfe and the sub doesnt work hooked up that way
. I will be sending the 350's back and not sure what to do about the sub.

Since i am returning these 350's just going to upgrade and get the 450's.

When i plug the cable into the sub it does make a quick sound but no other sound is made. Any suggestions on getting the sub to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Make sure the AVR knows you now have a sub, try running the cal step with speaker and sub hooked up. I've read that this sometimes happens and you need to make sure the AVR knows to look for a sub

#5,910 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/21686120

Make sure the AVR knows you now have a sub, try running the cal step with speaker and sub hooked up. I've read that this sometimes happens and you need to make sure the AVR knows to look for a sub

I tried the cal and check the settings several times and it is a no go.

If it is the receiver, i have possibly found a replacement for cheap a vsx 921. Is it better than the 1020.

#5,912 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpiles /forum/post/21686920

I tried the cal and check the settings several times and it is a no go.

If it is the receiver, i have possibly found a replacement for cheap a vsx 921. Is it better than the 1020.

Since you are talking Pioneer, I'm not a good source, but since you are considering a new AVR try to find one that may have a better bass managment system [XO for eack speaker set]

Ok, I just wanted you to make sure all settings where checked before you blamed the AVR

#5,916 ·

Since you are talking Pioneer, I'm not a good source, but since you are considering a new AVR try to find one that may have a better bass managment system [XO for eack speaker set]

Ok, I just wanted you to make sure all settings where checked before you blamed the AVR[/QUO

Not for sure if it is the sub or the avr. Im going to guess maybe the avr. Been doing alot of research and have decided to get the Denon 2112.

#5,913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj2001ind /forum/post/21685567

Hi Plex, I have been reading a lot of your posts here and got myself a procinema 800 set (procenter 1000 + 4 promonitor 800 + prosub 800)

I am so far happy with the sound quality I am geting with my denon 1912 which is UK version and has multeq XT,

the audyssey set the speakers crossed to 100, but I increased it to 120 and sometimes 150, first thing, what would you recommend as optimum crossover

now for music listening...is the PM800 sufficient to sound good with music or do I need to upgrade it to PM1000 ? I like to hear all details in music

my room size is not that much its around 350 sq feets, so getting a procenter 2000 + PM 1000 will be a overkill ?

kindly suggest if my system need any upgradation...thanks

First, great AVR and to also have the MultEQ XT on top is unreal

Please remind me, what is the age of your system, and have you played around with the number of calibration positions much? If I remember correctly you can do 8 positions.

The age thing is just to make sure you have enough hours in play time for the speakers to be fully broken in. Even though DT states 40-60 hrs to break in I stand by 100 hrs before they are truely streched out.

If you are getting 100 Hz XO than leave it there, it sounds like your 8's are getting to the max break in point or are almost there. i had my SM 450's drop from 120Hz when new down to 100 and finished at 80Hz.

I'm sitting at

mains = 80 Hz

Center = 100 Hz

rears = 80 Hz

Sub = 80Hz

I think play time will setttle your speakers but if you change positions of a chair or add even a small table, do the a calibration.

My 3808CI also has the MultEQ XT, and doing all positions was a bit trying at times, but I found a great enough change in XO's to warannt doing all 8.

As for room size and speaker size the 8's should do every well in that sized room and I don't think you'll hear the cost difference if you upgraded to the 1000/2000. Now, with the new SM's hitting the market you may be able to find someone selling the older SM350/450's. going from the 8's the the 350 would be a noticable sound difference and possibly worth keeping an eye out for that. IMHO the SM350/450 speakers give more detail to music than the PM's and are a better stand alone speaker if needed [if budget can't swing sub].

#5,914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/21684068

If MCACC chose 150Hz with these speakers, there is something wrong. Maybe with the room, maybe with the speaker or subwoofer placement, maybe with the calibration. But it shouldn't be accepted; it's too much of a compromise, too much of a waste of the mid-bass capabilities of these very good speakers. They don't sound like satellites specifically because they are so strong between 80 and 120Hz.

I don't think its a compromise at this point, now if the system was a year or two old, then yes, further work would be need to explain this 150Hz.

It sounds like the speakers are new enough not to be broken in fully so having the lowest and best XO may be too much to ask for right now. As I said, get those play time hours in and do repeated calibrations, this 150Hz value should drop. If this doesn't change, let us know we all will pitch in to help, right?

Now if its a room issue that will take time pinning down what is doing what to affect the absorbance of those bass notes that are giving a need to set the XO to 150Hz reading. I"m not a fan of an AVR that gives a one pass XO for all channels. But one does not learn this until the issue comes up and you see why those small features are just not fluff to drive the price higher.

#5,917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/21689053

First, great AVR and to also have the MultEQ XT on top is unreal

Please remind me, what is the age of your system, and have you played around with the number of calibration positions much? If I remember correctly you can do 8 positions.

The age thing is just to make sure you have enough hours in play time for the speakers to be fully broken in. Even though DT states 40-60 hrs to break in I stand by 100 hrs before they are truely streched out.

If you are getting 100 Hz XO than leave it there, it sounds like your 8's are getting to the max break in point or are almost there. i had my SM 450's drop from 120Hz when new down to 100 and finished at 80Hz.

I'm sitting at

mains = 80 Hz

Center = 100 Hz

rears = 80 Hz

Sub = 80Hz

I think play time will setttle your speakers but if you change positions of a chair or add even a small table, do the a calibration.

My 3808CI also has the MultEQ XT, and doing all positions was a bit trying at times, but I found a great enough change in XO's to warannt doing all 8.

As for room size and speaker size the 8's should do every well in that sized room and I don't think you'll hear the cost difference if you upgraded to the 1000/2000. Now, with the new SM's hitting the market you may be able to find someone selling the older SM350/450's. going from the 8's the the 350 would be a noticable sound difference and possibly worth keeping an eye out for that. IMHO the SM350/450 speakers give more detail to music than the PM's and are a better stand alone speaker if needed [if budget can't swing sub].

thanks buddy for your response, I have been using this system for past 2 months now and it is used for approx 8-10 hrs daily as it is hooked to my sat box as well and TV runs a lot at my home
I also play a lot of blurays and hidef mkv files

will do the calibration again and yeah since 1912 is from UK it has the very necessary multeq XT

one more question though, so the procinema 800 package is recommended for how big a room, or rather what is the limit of procinema 800 package and from what room size should we go for 1000 with procenter 2000 ?

If you can give me the room size in square feets thats will be helpful for me analyse
thanks again

#5,918 ·
Last week I picked up a df tech pro 600 package, and was loving it so much the following week I wanted to make it a 7.1 system so I picked up 2 def tech pro 1,000's . For the front left and right and put the 600's for surround . Everything sounded great my living room is only 17X15 . I loved the 1,000's so much this following week I picked up 2 more and replaced the 2 surround back left and right , I left 2 600's for the left and right 7.1 set up . And now since I have 4 1000's I then purchased a pro center 2000 for the center . And now I'm really enjoying the system more I left the subwoofer alone that came with the pro600 it's fine for the 17X15 room. So now I have taken the 2 left over 600's and 600 center and put them in my bedroom for my computer setup!!! Lol I think I went a little crazy I should have just put a 1000 system together but I'm happy how it all ended up
. In the later future I might upgrade the subwoofer . But for now I think it's time to put my bank card away hahahah. I think I did have a def tech overload! But I'm loving it!!!!!

#5,919 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GOD /forum/post/0

Last week I picked up a df tech pro 600 package, and was loving it so much the following week I wanted to make it a 7.1 system so I picked up 2 def tech pro 1,000's . For the front left and right and put the 600's for surround . Everything sounded great my living room is only 17X15 . I loved the 1,000's so much this following week I picked up 2 more and replaced the 2 surround back left and right , I left 2 600's for the left and right 7.1 set up . And now since I have 4 1000's I then purchased a pro center 2000 for the center . And now I'm really enjoying the system more I left the subwoofer alone that came with the pro600 it's fine for the 17X15 room. So now I have taken the 2 left over 600's and 600 center and put them in my bedroom for my computer setup!!! Lol I think I went a little crazy I should have just put a 1000 system together but I'm happy how it all ended up
. In the later future I might upgrade the subwoofer . But for now I think it's time to put my bank card away hahahah. I think I did have a def tech overload! But I'm loving it!!!!!

Just wait, I started out on pretty much the same path.

#5,920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GOD /forum/post/21695420

well that upgrade bug you hard
Di you come here before you got the 6's, if so I can't believe anyone who have not tried to get you to opt for the 8 just based on room size. All worked out in the end

Now, if you think the speakers made a sound difference wait until you upgrade the sub. I've always said and believed that a sub can make or break a system. I have that a fair sub can't make great speakers sound fair, but a great sub can make fair speakers sound great. The sub that came with the 600 series is a fair to OK sub and nothing more, it is made to fit a room much smaller [10x12].

A great sub removes the lower frequencies that the speakers have a hard time reproducing correctly . If your sub can't do that well enough the whole system fails to impress.

#5,921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/21696677

well that upgrade bug you hard
Di you come here before you got the 6's, if so I can't believe anyone who have not tried to get you to opt for the 8 just based on room size. All worked out in the end

Now, if you think the speakers made a sound difference wait until you upgrade the sub. I've always said and believed that a sub can make or break a system. I have that a fair sub can't make great speakers sound fair, but a great sub can make fair speakers sound great. The sub that came with the 600 series is a fair to OK sub and nothing more, it is made to fit a room much smaller [10x12].

A great sub removes the lower frequencies that the speakers have a hard time reproducing correctly . If your sub can't do that well enough the whole system fails to impress.

Hey Plex, your post always helps
and I also initially bought the 600 series set but later upgraded to 800's

on a thumb rule and for your very useful recommendation, what are the room size the 600, 800 and 1000's you would recommend for ? my friends wanted to setup up their system and this input will help them as well...thanks in advance.

#5,922 ·
Ohhh no now your telling me if I upgrade the sub I will be more happy hahahah!!! Now I'm in trouble because then that's what I will probaly do. The 600 sub sounds great in my living. Room when it's not even turned up even half during movies the couches vibrate!!!! Lol living in a apartment building I don't think my neighbors will appreciate me !!!! Hahahah but in the future I will update the sub no question about that! Thanks for the input guys having this hobby is like a addiction!!! But only good thing is you pay once and it keeps giving and giving
!!!!!

#5,923 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj2001ind /forum/post/21698826

Hey Plex, your post always helps
and I also initially bought the 600 series set but later upgraded to 800's

on a thumb rule and for your very useful recommendation, what are the room size the 600, 800 and 1000's you would recommend for ? my friends wanted to setup up their system and this input will help them as well...thanks in advance.

let me do some checking and i'll post room sizes this week

#5,924 ·
well i have only owned the pro 600 system for 2 weeks and the sub stopped working, now its strange it did the same the first week , then what i did was pull the plug out the wall and putt back in and it kicked on again but today i couldn't revive it. so any way i brung it back to best buy with the rest of the speakers and center channel and got the credit back that i spent on the whole system and picked up a pro 1000 sub . now i have 4 pro 1000's for fronts and back surround and a pro center 2000 and now the new addition pro 1000 sub
so in the end it tuned out great i should have put together a pro 1000 system from the beginning lol i guess it turned out for the better with an additional $400 back on my BB card . Now to make this a 7.1 surround system for the left and right should I pick up 2 pro 800's or should I just get 2 pro 1000's I know there aren't many blu ray movies in 7.1 so I don't know if getting the the 1000's is just over kill or stick to 800's any one have any input thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.