AVS Forum banner

McIntosh MX-121 - any thoughts?

119K views 686 replies 90 participants last post by  S4Patrick 
#1 ·
I realize that it's not out yet, and that info is scarce, but you guys are very resourceful and I figured that someone must have the lowdown.

Anything to add? Or any thoughts?

#102 ·
There was an interview with Charlie Randall from CES this year were he discusses the new processor(available on YouTube). He did state that the mx121 processor will have essentially the same performance as the mx150 but will lack some of the features, making it more entry level. I was told by my dealer that one of the major costs on the mx150 was the room perfect system. It added approximately $5k to the final cost of the processor. If that's the case then removing RP would certainly bring down the mx150 down to near the cost of the mx121. Obviously they have updated a few things and added audyssey so certainly there are a few features that have been added as well. I think the mx121 does not digitize all inputs like the mx150 so clearly that is one big difference (the digitization was due to room perfect). Overall I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get the mx121 down to the current price if they started with the mx150.

As a separate note, one can always purchase the men220 room correction system from McIntosh if you are not happy with the audyssey offering on the mx121. That will give you the room perfect system in a separate unit that you could use with any system. Although as you might imagine it is not cheap.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree /forum/post/21680558

I was told by my dealer that one of the major costs on the mx150 was the room perfect system. It added approximately $5k to the final cost of the processor.

If that's true it would explain everything. Though $5k seems a little high for Room Perfect. No? Could it be that much?

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/21680215

Well, that is a pretty mushy statement by him even if it were verbatim. "Intends to be like?"

Those were my words, and my paraphrasing was mushy, sure. Benmoree could be referencing the same, or similar, statement, but he's certainly presenting it more skillfully than I had.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo /forum/post/0

Those were my words, and my paraphrasing was mushy, sure. Benmoree could be referencing the same, or similar, statement, but he's certainly presenting it more skillfully than I had.

Elambo, I should have quoted you earlier but I was following up on your statement. I'm not sure if we saw the same thing or not but Charlie Randall did indeed state that it was indeed like the mx150 in terms of performance but without some features. As far as the cost of room perfect, it seems pretty high but my dealer is usually right (and honest) on these things so I think its probably close to accurate. Anyway hopefully we will get a chance to hear for ourselves in the next week or two.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree /forum/post/21680679

Elambo, I should have quoted you earlier but I was following up on your statement. I'm not sure if we saw the same thing or not but Charlie Randall did indeed state that it was indeed like the mx150 in terms of performance but without some features. As far as the cost of room perfect, it seems pretty high but my dealer is usually right (and honest) on these things so I think its probably close to accurate. Anyway hopefully we will get a chance to hear for ourselves in the next week or two.

Yes, I think we're talking about the same statement from Charlie. To me, it doesn't matter because understanding the cost of Room Perfect (even if it's not as expensive as your dealer's estimate) explains the existence of a 121, why it uses XT, and everything, really. And it makes me want it even more because I'm not so interested in room correction for this room (a kitchen).

I've more or less put the 121 delivery out of my mind, so when my dealer calls and says, "it's here," I'll be pleasantly surprised.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc /forum/post/0

I believe the 121 digitize all inputs .

Thanks for pointing that out. I definitely misstated it earlier. What I meant to say was that the mx121 gives you the option to use a stereo bypass mode with no additional processing. I don't own a mx150 but it is my understanding that all analog inputs were converted to digital and then reconverted to analog to allow room perfect processing on the source material. The mx121 now gives you the ability to bypass the digitization of analog inputs if you desire.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b /forum/post/21722833

Who's pre-ordered? I'm awaiting user reviews!

I've got one on pre-order. I'm very interested to see how it performs next to my primare sp32. Unless the performance is terrible, it will replace my sp32 as I need the additional hdmi inputs that the mx121 offers. I'll let you know how it performs.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree /forum/post/0

I've got one on pre-order. I'm very interested to see how it performs next to my primare sp32. Unless the performance is terrible, it will replace my sp32 as I need the additional hdmi inputs that the mx121 offers. I'll let you know how it performs.

Please do, I'd appreciate it. I'm saving up for a classe, but I've always wanted a Mac so this could be an good omen as long as its not a rebadge....

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree /forum/post/21722715

I heard today that the new mx121 has passed apple AirPlay certification and should be shipping soon. Hopefully it will be in stores in about two weeks.

Others were told that Airplay had nothing to do with the delay. Someone's using a cover story.

I was told that these would ship Monday and arrive in certain stores soon after. I suspect that the pre-orders will knock out a good portion of the first shipment.

#119 ·
I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. same thinking. I was looking at several ( Anthem, NAD, Rotel, Arcam, etc.) and was told by 2 dealers that I can buy a Mac for the same money. both dealers when I got to the $5,000 range said I would be better off buying the new Mac. I found that supprising since both were also dealers for the other brands. I am not sure if I was the Rep for the other brands I would be happy with them.

I thought I was going to have to wait until July becasue some people on this and other forums said all the first on were all sold. My dealer called and found out they were not all sold. I was old I would have mine some time in march when I ordered. I also ordered the MC205 Amp instead of the new amp they are introducing with it.

#120 ·
Congrats to all you guys on your upcoming MX121 purchase. I am promising myself that I will own a few of these products someday! Nothing better than good old fashioned hand built equipment. You get what you pay for, to bad society today does not see that!!

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 /forum/post/21732206

Congrats to all you guys on your upcoming MX121 purchase.

Thanks! Oddly, too many people are hoping this won't be a success so it's nice to see there are still people on the proper side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 /forum/post/21732206

Nothing better than good old fashioned hand built equipment. You get what you pay for, to bad society today does not see that!!

I think most still appreciate hand-built products, but budgets are tight and so we're more tolerant of less expensive methods. Also, we're seeing that cheaper can actually be "better" in many cases, and society as a whole continues to warm up to that concept. I drive a hand-built car (with the sole exception of some of the frame welding), but I'm not so sure that all those hands actually made it "better" than it would have been if assisted by machines.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robryan /forum/post/21731661

I am not sure if I was the Rep for the other brands I would be happy with them.

Certainly not - reps don't want dealers selling any other brands - but dealers can't survive on one brand alone. So they compete against each other, and that's good for us, the buyers.

#123 ·
I am a Rep. (not in electronics) and I totally understand why they have different brands. However I want the dealer to present my EQUAL PRODUCT and not push one over the other. Many beleive the anthem 50V, classe, higher end bystron, some of the arcam to be equal and to be presented as equal and let the use make up their mind. In this case as soon as I got to $5,000. for preamp both said to only buy the mx121. they would sure take my money for anything I wanted to buy but were really pushing the MX 121. the MAC rep should be very happy ( and I hope I am) but the other manufacturers were not in this price range.

Not saying I made a mistake, I have no idea yet. but when your dealer ( 2 different ones in this case really want you to buy the MX you hope it is not only profit (I believe in profit) that is doing the talking. It seems at least in these cases that these dealers have the other brands for some one coming in LOOKING FOR those brands so they can make the sale rather than believing that those other brands are in the same class as the MAC product. any way, enough already. I made the decesion and hope it all works out. this is my first seperate purchase. replacing a AVR Denon 5700.

#125 ·
Rob - dealers are there to help us limit our options down to the best single choice amongst the brands they carry (some will even suggest brands they do NOT have access to). Personally, I want them to push all products equally when I walk in the door, and then, based upon the question they ask and the answers I provide, they should eventually arrive at one single product. If they're really good, that's what will happen. And it's possible that you yourself, through the comments you provided, made it apparent that the 121 would be your best choice.

Or maybe there's a spiff on that item... Who knows.

#126 ·
Lets just say retail is retail. That does not mean you need to pay it. I bought my AVM50v from an authorized dealer at a huge discount. I also bought my B&K REF 30 and My Denon AVP-8000 DTS all from real dealers at very large discounts. closer to half off.

I am not sure if I could score a 121 at that rate as it is brand new, but next year is always open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.