AVS Forum banner

The Avengers

69K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  Defcon 
#1 ·
#227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21654766

He didn't have the physical skills but did have gumption, smarts and the ability to think on his feet early on by looking at the scene at the flag pole. He also had bravery and a sacrificial heart. Would Starks drop on a grenade to save others? Just saying.

True, I had completely forgotten about those scenes - those were the ones that convinced the good Dr. that he was the ideal choice for the Super Soldier Serum. He had the qualities of a great leader all the time!

#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21648365

This is great to hear as Cap is my favorite cartoon character but Iron Man is still the ring leader in most of the comics.

Original post disproved, posted wrong information again, time to quit internets!

Not only is Steve in charge of ALL of the Avengers teams in the comics, even the ones he is not on, he has also been appointed Nick Fury's old position and is the "top cop" of superhero security in America. You are not only a little wrong, you are entirely 100% wrong.

He's been in charge of the Avengers for years and years.

#230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/21658607

Original post disproved, posted wrong information again, time to quit internets!

Not only is Steve in charge of ALL of the Avengers teams in the comics, even the ones he is not on, he has also been appointed Nick Fury's old position and is the "top cop" of superhero security in America. You are not only a little wrong, you are entirely 100% wrong.

He's been in charge of the Avengers for years and years.

That first line was incomprehensible. "time to quit internets!"??? Dude, stick to your points. Personal attacks are obviously NOT your strong point. Second paragraph's point taken.

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/21648948

Man, its good to see you're still here, M. My mentor...

Haha! Yeah, long time no talk!

It is totally surreal that my favorite writer/director that I became a HUGE fan of and idolized (since being all but forced to watch Buffy. lol) got to write and direct one of the biggest Marvel super hero films ever, if not the biggest.

I can't wait to see this one. It looks amazing, but I have a feeling it'll be much better than the trailers can show.

#237 ·
Well, he's either going to be on top of the world, or crushed beneath it...I'm actually more excited about Cabin in the Woods, the buzz is so positive...

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/21654623

Why do you say that? In The First Avenger, from the time he rescued Bucky until he was put in the deep freezer, he led numerous missions with the Howling Commandos to attack various bases. That time frame seems to have covered many months. While it's very true going in that Steve Rogers didn't possess these skills, I believe it was implied toward the end of the movie that in fact, he developed them leading the HC's.

Really? Guess I need to watch the movie again--I've only seen it 1 1/2 times. I thought he had like one mission. ... memorable film, that.

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl /forum/post/21678689

Really? Guess I need to watch the movie again--I've only seen it 1 1/2 times. I thought he had like one mission. ... memorable film, that.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but if not - after the Bucky rescue mission, there were numerous missions (based off the intel he picked up during the rescue) to wipe out the Skull's weapons manufacturing facilities - these occurred over time.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/21678824

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but if not - after the Bucky rescue mission, there were numerous missions (based off the intel he picked up during the rescue) to wipe out the Skull's weapons manufacturing facilities - these occurred over time.

There was about a 3 minute montage of mission cutups suggesting that Cap and Commandos were on the job over time.

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/21678824

"Memorable film" was sarcasm. The rest was totally serious... as a heart attack.

#242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/21666718

I just think the chick with the gun is seriously out of her depth, as is the guy with the bow and arrows. We have 4 superheroes who can actually make a difference and the last two are just average humans who can be killed just like any other human.

Interesting point indeed. As far as super powers, they have none. The woman can kick butt though which would come in handy during attacks by large forces in hand to hand combat. And she will probably be a weapons expert. Hawkeye posses some interesting types of potent arrows. Back to the woman, is anyone besides me turned off with the ton of movies that show an average woman beating up on a men and in many cases a man who has some military type training?

I can see it in some movies where the woman has a special ability or power like super hero movies but what I'm talking about is the over the top stuff. Take Robin Hood (Crowe). Here is a movie where they have a women doing work on farm and taking care of children one minute and in the next scene all of a sudden she has master swordsmen skills and is taking on hords of soilders. On the other hand, if this is all to please feminist, there are also many movies that show woman in those same situation getting bloodied and battered in a violent way. Is that the reply of some directors to feminist? This is just an observation I've pondered while watching certain movies.

#243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21682646

Interesting point indeed. As far as super powers, they had none. The woman can kick butt though which would come in handy during attacks by large forces in hand to hand combat. And she will probably be a weapons expert. Hawkeye posses some interesting types of potent arrows. Back to the woman, is anyone besides me turned off with the ton of movies that show an average woman beating up on a men and in many cases a man who has some military type training?

I can see it in some movies where the woman has a special ability or power like super hero movies but what I'm talking about is the over the top stuff. Take Robin Hood (Crowe). Here is a movie where they have a women doing work on farm and taking care of children one minute and in the next scene all of a sudden she has master swordsmen skills and is taking on hords of soilders. On the other hand, if this is all to please feminist, there are also many movies that show woman in those same situation getting bloodied and battered in a violent way. Is that the reply of some directors to feminist? This is just an observation I've pondered while watching certain movies.

This is an interesting and fascinating comment(s). As a former Marine, I couldn't agree with you more. I have seen some tough dudes in my life. Dudes I would never mess with. However, in the movies 90 lbs women are beating the snot out of military types. My wife often brings this up and laughs at the ridiculous nature of such a thing. Still, Hollywood will always try to force their agenda on the masses. In the comics, Black Widow is tough...but is she really as tough as say, Red Skull (not that they ever fight) but the idea is ridiculous and yet, it makes for a fun film.

#246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21686424

This is an interesting and fascinating comment(s). As a former Marine, I couldn't agree with you more. I have seen some tough dudes in my life. Dudes I would never mess with. However, in the movies 90 lbs women are beating the snot out of military types.

She just have to take off her clothes, even the toughest guy in he room will be at his weakest. How's that for superpower?

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/21686651

She just have to take off her clothes, even the toughest guy in he room will be at his weakest. How's that for superpower?

Is Roseanne Barr going to be in this too?

Seriously though, when something is too incongruous it takes me out of the movie. LaBouf was tossing around trained military men in Transformers 3. No where has any of the movies shown, and established, that he is a superior fighting machine or physical entity. IF you can show the 90 lb woman or 160 pound actor has some special training or physical knack for this, I am down with that and is cool to see an implausible heroine/hero do this. Gymnasts, even though diminutive, are amazing athletes and a quick shot of a gymnastics trophy, martial arts training or something goes a long way to back up the action.

#249 ·
Hell, just make the bluray sound good. With so many of Hollywood's latest offerings sucking supreme amounts of dirty butt all I ask for is to at least make it sound good. A decent movie thrown at us every now and then is like winning the lottery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.