AVS Forum banner

Any knowledge on If I can get a better picture out of my laserdisc.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  The Lizard King 
#1 ·
I have an NEC MT800 multisync lcd projector. Doubt it has a built in comb filter so Composite looks horrible from the laserdisc. I have two pioneer cld-d504 players that I hooked up to my harmon kardon avr 135 through s-video and s-video out to the projector with performance cables and it was like night and day for clarity. The only issue is some mild barely visible vertical lines that blur the picture a little bit that I never had on my t.v. The projector does not show them when hooked up through vga to my computer and regular dvd looks really good on the projector. So is the problem just laserdisc and my mid-range player. I am happy with it just wondering if it is possible to clear it up a bit. I spent 150 on the two players. 140 on the projector. Harmon Kardon was free and the 50ft av s-video cable was 24 dollars. I also picked up 61 laserdiscs that included a sealed empire strikes back faces disc for 120. A very cheap start to my laserdisc collection. Although one of the players I bought 10 years ago. Anyways if there is no way to get a better picture I will be content for now.

Last thing, does getting an adapter from s video to vga help or does that actually lower the clarity of the signal?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, if your projector has composite inputs then it has to have a comb filter (it could have a notch filter, but probably not). I'm guessing the projector's deinterlacing is sub-par, so you should get a deinterlacer (I think your projector is 800x600 native so there's not too much scaling). You can usually get an iScan Pro or iScan Plus for $30-60 on eBay. You should also get Video Essentials (or a Video Standard) to calibrate your display and check comb filter performance. I've never heard of a LaserDisc player with a good comb filter (the few that don't burst into rainbows have the checkerboard problem), so if your player's S-video output is better than its composite, that just means your display has a REALLY bad comb filter.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiaru /forum/post/21690502

Well, if your projector has composite inputs then it has to have a comb filter (it could have a notch filter, but probably not). I'm guessing the projector's deinterlacing is sub-par, so you should get a deinterlacer (I think your projector is 800x600 native so there's not too much scaling). You can usually get an iScan Pro or iScan Plus for $30-60 on eBay. You should also get Video Essentials (or a Video Standard) to calibrate your display and check comb filter performance. I've never heard of a LaserDisc player with a good comb filter (the few that don't burst into rainbows have the checkerboard problem), so if your player's S-video output is better than its composite, that just means your display has a REALLY bad comb filter.

The iScan/DVDOs have crap comb filters for NTSC. I would go for a Faroudja NRS, which have GREAT comb filters.

TLK

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I would have to try a cheaper route than the nrs. That thing is around 4000. I was thinking 100 dollars max to try and clear it up a bit. Some people have told me you can run it through certain dvd players with built in comb filter. Might try that route.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdisc collec /forum/post/21694357

Some people have told me you can run it through certain dvd players with built in comb filter.

Probably more like a DVD recorder. Not many DVD players had inputs.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdisc collec /forum/post/21694357

Thanks for the input. I think I would have to try a cheaper route than the nrs. That thing is around 4000. I was thinking 100 dollars max to try and clear it up a bit. Some people have told me you can run it through certain dvd players with built in comb filter. Might try that route.

The NRS could be had for about $150 these days.

TLK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.