AVS Forum banner
390K views 4K replies 368 participants last post by  sharkshark 
#1 ·
See less See more
#502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones /forum/post/21688613

I did it... sold my W5000 and placed the order for my W7000 a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed I should be picking it up tomorrow... Monday at the latest. After reading the W7000 thread and the H9500BD thread for the last few weeks it was a no brainer that I go with the W7000. I also ordered 4 of the True Depth rechargeable glasses from Amazon.

I will report back and let everyone know how it is... Also I'm not sure what version I will be receiving and with what firmware, but I will post it when I have it.

BTW I ordered it from NCIX and got a price match for $2200 if anyone is curious.

Did you read this important article concerning incompatibilities?
http://truedepth3d.com/upcoming-impr...jector-owners/

#506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones /forum/post/21688613

I did it... sold my W5000 and placed the order for my W7000 a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed I should be picking it up tomorrow... Monday at the latest. After reading the W7000 thread and the H9500BD thread for the last few weeks it was a no brainer that I go with the W7000. I also ordered 4 of the True Depth rechargeable glasses from Amazon.

I will report back and let everyone know how it is... Also I'm not sure what version I will be receiving and with what firmware, but I will post it when I have it.

Our's should be here on Monday afternoon, i'll post the firmware as well. I have the hard to find Optoma ZD201's and a set of the BenQ's. several generous members have offered to send other DLP glasses, so I should have at least 4-5 different DLP link glasses to test when I update the mini-shootout page.

just in time for Hugo 3D

#507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/21688928

Our's should be here on Monday afternoon, i'll post the firmware as well. I have the hard to find Optoma ZD201's and a set of the BenQ's. several generous members have offered to send other DLP glasses, so I should have at least 4-5 different DLP link glasses to test when I update the mini-shootout page.

just in time for Hugo 3D

My buddy's shipped yesterday and it should be here by noon tomorrow. I will check the black levels and the 3D switching right off the bat and later on plan on doing a more in-depth shootout compared to the HW30 since I will have both this weekend.

#508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21688946

My buddy's shipped yesterday and it should be here by noon tomorrow. I will check the black levels and the 3D switching right off the bat and later on plan on doing a more in-depth shootout compared to the HW30 since I will have both this weekend.

great! looking forward to hearing your thoughts since we both had the same version on round 1.

What DLP link glasses do you guys have?

#511 ·
Can someone with the old model from Dec flip it over and tell me what the revision number is? I just got mine in and firmware is 1.0, revision 001. 3D switching seems much improved on this unit although I am sure it is an older one. I am curious if my Denon receiver was causing further switching lag over the Onkyo I have it hooked into now because it is actually fast from what i've tested.

#512 ·
After spending more time with the unit tonight I am going to go out on a limb this is the new firmware. I contacted the vendor my friend bought the projector from and they stated it was drop shipped directly from BenQ. The 3D switchng is extremely fast and my IRIS is making the same sound Projector Central complained about (very high pitched noise is best way to describe it or a wheel that needs oil and chirps.)

I am going to attempt a simple calibration tonight or tomorrow but so far I would not say the black levels are in the same league as the Sony with the IRIS tweak. Even without it I don't think the blacks are as good.

I will have to wait for zombie to get his unit to confirm what his menu states the revison is to indeed confirm this is the real deal. So far outside of the 3D improvements it looks the same as my first one (which isn't a bad thing by any means outside of the elevated blacks) because this unit is capable of an extremely sharp, bright picture, with a lot of "pop" on the colors.

#514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21692857

Can someone with the old model from Dec flip it over and tell me what the revision number is? I just got mine in and firmware is 1.0, revision 001. 3D switching seems much improved on this unit although I am sure it is an older one. I am curious if my Denon receiver was causing further switching lag over the Onkyo I have it hooked into now because it is actually fast from what i've tested.

On the bottom of mine it says Mfg Date December 2011,2011

Rev / 00.100

And the S/N starts with PV3CB0106_____

#515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21692857

Isn't the new firmware supposed to be 1.00-3?

#516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/0

Isn't the new firmware supposed to be 1.00-3?

That is what I believed to be the case but switching was flawless all night and I was trying to make it hang up. I tested a numer of bluray movies, sbs files, and wipeout and uncharted 3. Either the one I have indeed has the new firmware or it was my Denon causing the issues before because in my secondary room is an 809 Onkyo.

3D looked really good on this thing and super bright, if it had enough zoom for my screen I would have kept it and dealt with the black levels (note:assuming this was the new ver, they might be good and I still got an old unit.) Largest size I could fill my screen was 93% because it appeared to be pinching all four corners. Based on calculators it should have been around 96-97".

Zombie- Optoma/Viewsonic pgd-150. 0 ghosting on everything and I was cranking the depth on everything.

Attaching pics I took with Iphone, may look like crap so I apologize but figured it would be fun since thread is dying down. 2 are from HDTV (Fast & Furious and the Sandwich) and other shows dlp-link red before glasses in first one.

Attachment 238384

Attachment 238385

Attachment 238386

Attachment 238387

Attachment 238388

Attachment 238389

#517 ·
Just picked up my projector. Mine also says December 2011 for production and Rev #00-100

I'm just in the process of mounting it and I will report my findings after I have had a chance to play with it.

I won't be receiving my True Depth glasses until Monday now
but I'm sure I will have lots to keep me occupied until then

#518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones /forum/post/21697576

Just picked up my projector. Mine also says December 2011 for production and Rev #00-100

I'm just in the process of mounting it and I will report my findings after I have had a chance to play with it.

I won't be receiving my True Depth glasses until Monday now
but I'm sure I will have lots to keep me occupied until then

I did extensive testing yesterday and found setting noise reduction to 0 and detail enhancement to 1 (max of 2) produced the cleanest picture with way less artifacts. Anything over 2 looked very unnatural and like the pixels were smeering into one another. I also turned off brilliant color although it did make the colors pop more. Image was still super, super sharp even with such low settings.

#519 ·
OK, what am I missing?

I am using:

User1

Real Mode (Tryed all modes - no luck)

Sharpness 0

Noise Reduction 0

Detail enhancement 0

And I can not get 1:1 pixel mapping at all....

I tryed:

1080P 60htz

&

1080P 24htz

Sharpness at 0 actually has a super negitive effect on "sharpness" and only looks ok at 7 or 8.

I think I got a bad unit...

#521 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto /forum/post/21697896

Sowk - any processing going on from your receiver perhaps? I constantly had to keep switching my 809 from Direct to Through to get 1:1 mapping and keeping the projector on real. Never have this issue on my Sony, Direct keeps it 1:1 but the Benq did not.

I am not going through a receiver, direct connections to the projector from the sources, no sound...

Any setting in the service menu that may help?

If so?

How do you even get in?

Otherwise I actually like the projector...

Brightness is AMAZING!

13 ftL in Eco mode!!!!!

17 ftL in normal mode!!!!!!

#523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman /forum/post/21698865

So does that mean 3d brightness is great as well on the new firmware units? I need something that can handle a 147" (16:9, 1.2 gain) AT screen.

3D brightness definitely looks cut in half compared to 2D and I didn't see any modes to switch it to say Dynamic like you can on the Epson, but it is still plenty bright.

2D won't be an issue for a screen your size and 3D should be acceptable.

#525 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/21697920

I am not going through a receiver, direct connections to the projector from the sources, no sound...

Any setting in the service menu that may help?

If so?

How do you even get in?

Otherwise I actually like the projector...

Brightness is AMAZING!

13 ftL in Eco mode!!!!!

17 ftL in normal mode!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't think I'm seeing 1:1 key mapping either. First I just plugged in the W7000 where my W5000 originally was... left all the wiring exactly the same way. Fired it up and the first thing I noticed was a very soft picture.

I played around in the settings, but there was nothing I could find to change it. This is not even close to the same picture quality of my W5000. I then disconnected the cables and ran the HDMI straight from the PS3 to the W7000... exact same thing!!

Am I missing a big step here? I have to say when I got my W5000, plugged it in and fired it up the picture/pop was amazing. I haven't been able to find anything in the menu to change this.

One thing I can tell you is that this projector is bright.. I love it
Able to have my back lights on with no problem and the picture is bright even in ECO mode.

SOWK let me know if you had any luck figuring yours out.

#526 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru-Jones /forum/post/21699501

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't think I'm seeing 1:1 key mapping either. First I just plugged in the W7000 where my W5000 originally was... left all the wiring exactly the same way. Fired it up and the first thing I noticed was a very soft picture.

I played around in the settings, but there was nothing I could find to change it. This is not even close to the same picture quality of my W5000. I then disconnected the cables and ran the HDMI straight from the PS3 to the W7000... exact same thing!!

Am I missing a big step here? I have to say when I got my W5000, plugged it in and fired it up the picture/pop was amazing. I haven't been able to find anything in the menu to change this.

One thing I can tell you is that this projector is bright.. I love it
Able to have my back lights on with no problem and the picture is bright even in ECO mode.

SOWK let me know if you had any luck figuring yours out.

Try adjusting the Detail Enhancement to 2. That seemed to sharpen the picture up for me.