AVS Forum banner

The Avengers

69K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  Defcon 
#1 ·
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl /forum/post/21686493

Am I missing something or are we really discussing the ridiculousness of a female being able to beat guys up in a movie with a guy that turns into a 2,000 pound green giant and a guy with a hammer that can fly?

Haha! Right on! A logical person!
It is indeed pretty silly. I mean, if they are super powered like say Alice from Resident Evil or a super powered vampire like Selene from Underworld you have to pretty much assume that maybe their muscles are far more dense (and thus much stronger) and bones as well + having way more skills than a regular human. I simply use that kind of thinking + suspension of disbelief. I've seen much smaller guys over power and beat the living crap out of big scary dudes before.

Hell, a 125lbs chimp can over power a large grown man with ease. You wouldn't think it by looking, but their muscles are far stronger/more dense despite the size difference. I use this kind of logic when I see a small super hero female beating up large men in a movie. I factor that in + their skills. Makes it easy enough for me to suspend disbelief.

#254 ·
The "girls who kicks ass" trope has been going on for some years now, at least as far back as the Alias TV show. At least in Alias, Jennifer Garner was fairly athletic. I could suspend disbelief that, with the right martial arts training, she could take down a larger opponent.

Lately, this has just gotten ridiculous. When, for example, Zoe Saldana beats up muscle-bound men much larger than herself, I just have to roll my eyes. Probably the most ridiculous example was the pilot episode of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot. Grace Park, who maybe weighs 80 pounds soaking wet and has arms you could use as toothpicks, decks a huge bodybuilder guy about four times her size, and knocks him out cold. I think she had to stand on an apple crate just to reach his face.

Even if she'd put her entire weight into the punch and charged at him from a run, he probably wouldn't even feel it, much less flinch.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21696958

The "girls who kicks ass" trope has been going on for some years now, at least as far back as the Alias TV show. At least in Alias, Jennifer Garner was fairly athletic. I could suspend disbelief that, with the right martial arts training, she could take down a larger opponent.

Lately, this has just gotten ridiculous. When, for example, Zoe Saldana beats up muscle-bound men much larger than herself, I just have to roll my eyes. Probably the most ridiculous example was the pilot episode of the Hawaii Five-0 reboot. Grace Park, who maybe weighs 80 pounds soaking wet and has arms you could use as toothpicks, decks a huge bodybuilder guy about four times her size, and knocks him out cold. I think she had to stand on an apple crate just to reach his face.

Even if she'd put her entire weight into the punch and charged at him from a run, he probably wouldn't even feel it, much less flinch.

You made me think of Cat Woman on the Bat Man TV show whooping up a gang of men (lol). Gents that why I like the original Predator movie. There was a female in it but like most movies Predator did not fall into the predictable with:

1. One of the soilders falling in love with her

2. Her whooping any men or anything else

She represents the average woman in that she was scared stiff and let the men handle the situation. I'm not a chauvenist, I'm just tired of seeing those over the top scenes we are talking about.

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21715700

Like this trailer better...

Wow. Much better.

Just out of curiosity, though, for you guys more versed in the actual comics, what would the hierarchy of the team be in terms of powers/weaknesses? Just based on the movies, it would seem Thor and his hammer would be in a completely different league? From what I recall of the movie, he really didn't seem to have any weaknesses except when he was stripped of the hammer by his father?

#262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan /forum/post/21716841

Just out of curiosity, though, for you guys more versed in the actual comics, what would the hierarchy of the team be in terms of powers/weaknesses? p

The cool thing about The Avengers is (and always has been) this question...

Despite the massive amount of debate over the decades, it is simply a matter of opinion.

#263 ·
I dig the new trailer and want to see this even more now. In fact, I'm gonna put this ahead of TDKR. However, as much as I enjoy looking at ScarJo, there's too much of her in this movie. Give her screen time to the Hulk.

I had to take this screen grab though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

#266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/21717759

I dig the new trailer and want to see this even more now. In fact, I'm gonna put this ahead of TDKR. However, as much as I enjoy looking at ScarJo, there's too much of her in this movie. Give her screen time to the Hulk.

I had to take this screen grab though.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I agree with you wabo Id like to see Hulk do a lot of damage.

#268 ·
The Hulk is just about unstopable and Thor is also close to unstopable or should be. It appears that their powers are dumbed down according to the occasion. I was watching one of the Justice League animated features not to long ago and was scratching my head at Superman getting beat us every 5 minutes. I found out they had lowered his power on purpose so he wouldn't be overly super. That took some getting use to though.

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/21718622

I agree with too much screen time for Black Widow. I must confess, I'm not a big SJ fan. She's very mediocre to me.

Her figure lifts her out of the ordinary. A relatively large, natural rack on a slender-but-curvy frame can carry a marginal actress far beyond the normal limitations of her talent.

#270 ·
That's true. I can't remember seeing her in something that stressed her acting skills. Has anyone else. She looks good but if they have puffed up her presence to slight the likes of the Hulk or Thor, that is wrong and dumb. Guys like a pretty face and all but there are a lot of guys who also are into the Marvel Universe and want things to be such n such.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/21718949

Guys like a pretty face and all but there are a lot of guys who also are into the Marvel Universe and want things to be such n such.

She has a face?

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/21719570

The photos on the internets make her chest to be not particularly appealing (at least to me).

YMMV, of course.

From the one and only genuine topless pic I've seen online her breasts look pretty fantastic to me; they're very nicely shaped, near perfect. In her other pic she has a nice butt shot and I gotta say she has a really cute butt too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.