AVS Forum banner

Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting...

264K views 410 replies 224 participants last post by  Kothoga 
#1 ·
Having waded through post after post of people seeking advice regarding the purchase of a new sub, responding with good ideas, and being told time and time again "that's too expensive," "that thing is huge," etc, I think it's time to give some guidelines as to the information that should be provided by anyone in search of assistance before purchasing a subwoofer. Here's a short list that can help immensely, both in keeping threads less cluttered, as well as helping OP's get the information and opinions they desire more quickly:

Before anything else...

Search the forum. Chances are, your question regarding "this sub vs. that sub" has already been asked, discussed, chewed, and spat out hundreds of times already. Try to search the forums and see if you can get a good amount of information that way. If you still want personal advice, feel free to make new threads, but the search function is a wonderful thing

If you still seek more guidance after you have exhausted the AVS Subwoofer Forum Archives, then proceed to begin a thread with the following criteria answered as fully as possible.

1. Your budget. This seems like an obvious thing to state when seeking advice, but many people neglect to mention this anywhere. If you have a budget of $200 but don't mention this and say you want awesome performance, you'll be getting a lot of suggestions for PB13 Ultras, Conquests, F113's, etc. Please cut down the frustration for everyone and simply state a budget range, preferably making it clear to those who desire to help you whether or not this budget includes shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits. If you say you have a $700 budget but fail to inform us that you need a 10" cube form factor, you can rest assured you'll be receiving recommendations for Epik Knights, eD A5-350's, MFW-15's, etc, none of which will come anywhere close to meeting your need for a tiny box. When size matters, please say so!

3. Room dimensions. If you have a 10,000 cubic foot room and a $150 budget, chances are we can't help much. Still, room dimensions can make a big impact on recommendations. Small subs like the SVS SB12 Plus are great subs for music and pretty good for HT, but they'll prove to be insufficient in huge rooms.

4. Primary uses. Given a certain budget, one sub might be a better choice for HT, while another might be a better sub for music. Of course quality subs can do both well. Still, giving an estimate of usage (example: 60% HT/TV viewing, 30% music, 10% gaming) will help others give better recommendations.

5. Listening habits. Listening habits can dictate what sub you'll need. Many AVS members are a bit excessive with their bass requirements and desires (myself included). However, not everyone needs two Epik Conquests in their 2500 cubic foot room. If you realistically won't be listening at really high volumes, say so. On the other hand, if you like to watch concert DVDs at SPL levels that make live concerts seem tame by comparison, we need to know that too.

6. Appearance requirements. Some people have no problem putting a huge box with a rough, black cabinet in their dedicated home theater. Others need a nicely finished cabinet to fit well in the family room. Please make any aesthetic requirements known so those giving advice will be better able to assist you.

7. Timeframe. There are many new subwoofer manufacturers that sell direct over the internet and have enjoyed extremely high popularity in a very short time span. Unfortunately, this has caused severe backorders on their products, as they have not been able to keep up with demand. Try to let us know if getting the sub right away is a priority, as it might affect the suggestions you receive depending on whether or not certain companies are backlogged.

Hopefully these guidelines can help to streamline subwoofer suggestions here on AVS. Anyone with additional ideas, feel free to give input as well. Thanks.

See less See more
#254 ·
Thanks for all the input and previous discussion. I am looking for the best sub given my setup and requirements:

Mains: Mythos ST

Center: Mythos 10

L/R Surrounds: Energy CF-50

Pioneer Elite SC-25

Mitsubishi 65" DLP

Room is roughly 14 X 19

Budget is around $1k-$1,500. Flexible.

Use is 70/30 HT vs. Music.

I was down to the Def Tech supercube I or the SVS PB-12+

I am open to any suggestions or input based on the above and your experiences. I am not dead set on either of the above but have been impressed by both so if you have any other suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Thx/

AC

#255 ·
1. Your budget.

tops $750 shipped

2. Size requirements/limits.

box size no wider then 18" and no deeper then 28" height dont really care

3. Room dimensions.

2800 cubic feet

4. Primary uses.

50% ht 50% music

5. Listening habits.

looking for hard hitting bass used to run four 12" in a car so, the louder the better

6. Appearance requirements.

doesnt really matter.

#256 ·
Display: Panasonic PC-T65ST30

AVR: Pioneer PSX-1021-K

Fronts: Polk Monitor 70

Center: Polk CS2

Rear: Polk Monitor 40

Flexible $300 budget

12' x 15' living room of a third floor apartment - I can't terrorize my downstairs neighbor but I'll be in my own house in a year or two and would prefer not to have to purchase a new one at that time

no size/appearance issues I can think of

50% HT 30% Gaming 20% Music

Thanks!

#257 ·
I'm looking at a few different subwoofers from HSU and SVS, however I'm always worried the sub might not go as low, or as loud, as I want it to (and to future proof my purchase).

In terms of SVS, I've been looking at the SB12-NSD and the PB12-NSD - however, at my current set-up with just a pair of B&W CM5s, I don't know which will work best. The room is about 14*20*8 ft. and opens to a kitchen and listening to about 40% music, 30% HT, and 30% x-box. I will be upgrading my set-up to CM9s in a few months.

I guess what my question is, if I get the bigger one, will it "outshine" my set-up? Will it still sound as good at low volumes?

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx /forum/post/21463170

The room is about 14*20*14 ft. and opens to a kitchen and listening to about 40% music, 30% HT, and 30% x-box.

With that big a space, you need the higher output of the PB12-NSD for HT use. And yes. It will sound good at low volumes and be fine with the B&Ws (I have an Outlaw EX with the older B&W 601s).

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/21468327

With that big a space, you need the higher output of the PB12-NSD for HT use. And yes. It will sound good at low volumes and be fine with the B&Ws (I have an Outlaw EX with the older B&W 601s).

Thanks for the quick reply - although I had my dimensions wrong.

The room is 14 ft. wide, 20 ft. long, with 8 ft. ceilings. It opens up to a kitchen that is 10 by 12 ft.

#260 ·
Your Budget: Up to 250usd
Size Requirements/limits: None!
Room Dimensions: 1700 feet cubed. Sub would be roughly 10 feet away from a shared wall with a neighbor in an apartment. It is also open with the kitchen of my apartment, which is roughly 900 feet cubed.
Primary Uses: 60% Music, 40% Movies
Listening Habits: According to this 1 dollar spl meter for iPhone I average about 75db with 80db peaks at times at listening position. If I put it right up against the drivers I get 85db (midrange woofer) and 90db (tweeter). I don't know how good that program or iPhone's mic is so take the numbers with a grain of salt. Either way I don't listen too terribly loud.
Appearance Requirements: None!
Timeframe: None!

What I'm mainly looking for is something for low level listening to augment the low end of my PSB bookshelves, of which are rated to go down to 50hz on a +/- 1.5db access (though I'm not too sure how much of that is their bass port). I mainly want the extra bass extension and possibly impact, while staying at a relatively low overall spl level as to not leak too much through the shared wall only 100 feet away. My amplifier is also only a little T-Amp with no bells and whistles, only an rca input, 3.5mm input and left/right channel outputs. The sub would have to work with that as well.

So in short, what above all is extension, followed by impact. What I do not want is loudness. I'm also guessing impact is directly correlated to sound pressure so I can't really have impact without having loudness?

#261 ·
1. Probably about $1K

2. Size requirements/limits. Not a factor

3. Room dimensions. 12x30, but the seats are about 15' from the 65" TV (It's an "L" shaped basement, with the HT up on top of the "L". All the listening happens within 15' or so of the speakers. The ceiling is only 9-10' high. I also have EchoBusters throughout the listening area, including Bass traps in the front corners)

4. Primary uses. 80% TV, 10% music, 10% BluRay

5. Listening habit: I like to sit back and enjoy. Not too loud (I'm 51) and certainly not too quiet!

6. Appearance requirements.Not a factor

7. Other factors: I have Mirage OM-6 F/L and Mirage OM-C2 as the center. Right now, I'm running a Mirage BPS-150i for my sub. I have a Denon AVR-4311 running Audyssey XT32. I have my full-range Mirage's set to "small" because that's what the Audyssey guy says over and over again over on the Audyssey thread.

Questions:

1. Should I be running 2 subs?

2. Should I replace the BPS-150i or add a single new sub if #1 is "yes"

3. Should I be running the OM-6 as "large" and send all the bass to their internal powered woofers?

4. Any other advice?

Thanks!

(PS - Here's a review of the OM-6's: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...rs/1197mirage/ )

#262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose /forum/post/21700860

1. Probably about $1K

2. Size requirements/limits. Not a factor

3. Room dimensions. 12x30, but the seats are about 15' from the 65" TV (It's an "L" shaped basement, with the HT up on top of the "L". All the listening happens within 15' or so of the speakers. The ceiling is only 9-10' high. I also have EchoBusters throughout the listening area, including Bass traps in the front corners)

4. Primary uses. 80% TV, 10% music, 10% BluRay

5. Listening habit: I like to sit back and enjoy. Not too loud (I'm 51) and certainly not too quiet!

6. Appearance requirements.Not a factor

7. Other factors: I have Mirage OM-6 F/L and Mirage OM-C2 as the center. Right now, I'm running a Mirage BPS-150i for my sub. I have a Denon AVR-4311 running Audyssey XT32. I have my full-range Mirage's set to "small" because that's what the Audyssey guy says over and over again over on the Audyssey thread.

Questions:

1. Should I be running 2 subs?

2. Should I replace the BPS-150i or add a single new sub if #1 is "yes"

3. Should I be running the OM-6 as "large" and send all the bass to their internal powered woofers?

4. Any other advice?

Thanks!

(PS - Here's a review of the OM-6's: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...rs/1197mirage/ )

Usually it's best just to create a new thread when you have this kind of request. This thread doesn't get a lot of attention

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather /forum/post/13030110

Great thread, maybe a little asterisk at the end of your post to state....If one follows the above sequence, one will nearly have all the information to determine the correct sub for themselves and not require starting a thread asking for help.

Very true! But it's still great to hear what everybody may think

#265 ·
Is a single Rythmik FV15HP enough for a space that's about 8,000 cu ft & opened to staircase that leads to first floor of the house? The main listening area is about 3700 cu ft but it's fully opened to the dining room and kitchen, and the stairs.

Usage will be for movie...listening volume at about -15 to -10 dB.

#266 ·
i just purchased a new system...left the Bose Lifestyle world.

I still need subwoofer(2) and surround speakers. Initially my budget only allowed receiver, front and center speakers.

I am ready for a sub and looking for advice...I have been reviewing the klipsch SW-112...anyone have suggestions???

I have older pioneer speakers left from the early 90s I am using for surround speakers but do not have a subwoofer....I want to get sub now and will get surround speakers after the new year.

New system:

Yamaha 2020

Front Monitor Audio Silver 8s

Center Monitor Audio Center

Surround - Still shopping

Sub - Still Shopping

Budget:

$500

Listening habits:

Loud Music

I prefer deep bass

Primary Uses:

60% Movies // 40% Music

Room Dimensions:

16x25

Size Requirements/Limits

Not particular..smaller the better

Prefer a Cherry Wood finish but will settle for a traditional black finish for quality

#267 ·
Hi everbody, current gear,Anthem MRX 700,Sony BDP-S790, Paradigm Studio 100's L/R ,cc Studio 690, two pair ADP 590's (running 7.1), studio sub 12 and a monitor sub 12 with Epson 6010 projector. Everything look's and sound's awesome in my current L shaped 14 by 22 foot room. we are building a new home and my new combination, Games, Theatre, Music listening room will be 60 feet long by any where from 14 feet to 30 feet. The centre part of the 60 foot wall will have a 160'' dia. screen with the sound system built around that area of the room with game's table's in the wing room's on either side. There are no partition wall's anywhere in this room. I know my current sub's are not enough for an aprox 12,000 cubic space. I like my movie's a bit on the loud side, music at normal to reference level, (depend's on whether the wife is home or not). 50 50 on useage, budget $5000. should I get 1 really good sub or 2 more comparable to what I already have, or is that really enough considering room size. Thank's in Advance for any suggestions Dave.

#268 ·
Can you help me choose a sub?

1. Your budget. $650

2. Size requirements/limits. none. Plenty of room.

3. Room dimensions. Big man cave. 19x25x9.5

4. Primary uses. Both music and parties. We watch movies often and we also have parties where we listen to all kinds of music from country to rap.

5. Listening habits. I like it loud. I enjoy a good thump and low rumble but also enjoy tight bass.

6. Appearance requirements. No requirement here. I have a huge entertainment center that has a large opening underneath the TV for storage(my wife has baskets of kids toys there now). The storage is open and these baskets sit right on the floor. I plan on putting the sub behind the baskets.

7. Timeframe. Flexible. I would like to get a good buy of course.

I've been looking at a Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Inch, 750 Watt Powered Subwoofer for around $500. Would that be a good choice?

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusda  /t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting/240#post_22898583

Can you help me choose a sub?

1. Your budget. $650

2. Size requirements/limits. none. Plenty of room.

3. Room dimensions. Big man cave. 19x25x9.5

4. Primary uses. Both music and parties. We watch movies often and we also have parties where we listen to all kinds of music from country to rap.

5. Listening habits. I like it loud. I enjoy a good thump and low rumble but also enjoy tight bass.

6. Appearance requirements. No requirement here. I have a huge entertainment center that has a large opening underneath the TV for storage(my wife has baskets of kids toys there now). The storage is open and these baskets sit right on the floor. I plan on putting the sub behind the baskets.

7. Timeframe. Flexible. I would like to get a good buy of course.

I've been looking at a Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Inch, 750 Watt Powered Subwoofer for around $500. Would that be a good choice?

I should add that we probably watch more movies than listen to music. Probably 70/30. But when we parties, we listen to music and i want it to sound great as well. Thanks!

#271 ·
New to higher end hi fi getting marantz 8801/8077 pre/pro running paradigms monitor 9's and surrounds and rears and matching center for 7.1. My room is 8.5hx12wx24l and opens to kitchen dinning of same size. I am looking to spend $1000 to $1500 per sub and it will be %70r ht and rest music. I want dropping ht with excellent music. Anything but rap, hip hop, and r&b prefer country classic rock rock jazz. Etc. So sealed or ported? And the two brands I have been reviewing are svs and ryhtmik's. Please help

#272 ·

Hey Guys,

Fairly new to the forum, and frankly, I'm so overwhelmed with all of the great info, i get totally lost.....

I'm looking for a replacement subwoofer because I just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha RX-V673 (From an old Kenwood VR-615 )

The Kenwood had a 100w passive sub (only 2 spring clips), but the new Yamaha requires an active sub.

1. budget.- $150-$250

2. Size requirements/limits. -  None really, but would like to keep about the same size as the Kenwood (about 12"x12"x14")

3. Room dimensions. 24'x16' - but system is set up on the 16' as the viewing length, and the 24' width.

4. Primary uses - TV and Movies (BD)

5. Listening habits.-  normal viewing level - rarely loud. (about 40-30db)

6. Appearance requirements. None

7. Timeframe. None

current setup:

Currently using the old Kenwood speakers for my surround, until I can afford to upgrade those.  But honestly, they sound pretty good.

Yamaha RX-V673 receiver.

Sony BRAVIA S-Series KDL-46S5100 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDT

OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player 

Thanks guys!

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting/270#post_24397195

That is a big room I'd consider SVS PB1000 minimum. Save up, $200 won't get you much.
Really?   My Kenwood 100W was a good level for this room, so I was thinking I could stay around the same.   I don't blast my sub too much, but enough to give the sound some bottom.

And my viewing size in this room is about 16'x16'

Thanks for the recommendation tho.

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting/270#post_24397195

That is a big room I'd consider SVS PB1000 minimum. Save up, $200 won't get you much.

Thanks again for the recommend.

I ended up going lower-end for now to try it out.  Ended up getting a Polk 10-inch.

I don't need much, just something to support the bottom end since the wife always complains that I listen to movies too loud anyway.....LOL.

Plus I'll probably save up and replace all of the speakers at some point.

#276 ·
Hey guys. Looks like the sub for my Infinity TSS-800 setup went out. I still use the 5 satellite speakers from it, but I am going to need a new sub!

1. budget.- $150

2. Size requirements/limits. - None.

3. Room dimensions. 15 x 18. It's a living room in a townhouse and the "theater" is in one end.

4. Primary uses - TV and Movies,

5. Listening habits.- Normal Viewing. Loud enough to get a rumble.

7. Timeframe. None

I have looked a bit and have a few in mind but would be welcome to more suggestions (Or just a recommendation of the ones I've looked at.

BIC V-80, Dayton Sub-1200, Polk PSW110.

Thanks!

#302 ·
Hey guys. Looks like the sub for my Infinity TSS-800 setup went out. I still use the 5 satellite speakers from it, but I am going to need a new sub!

1. budget.- $150

2. Size requirements/limits. - None.

3. Room dimensions. 15 x 18. It's a living room in a townhouse and the "theater" is in one end.

4. Primary uses - TV and Movies,

5. Listening habits.- Normal Viewing. Loud enough to get a rumble.

7. Timeframe. None

I have looked a bit and have a few in mind but would be welcome to more suggestions (Or just a recommendation of the ones I've looked at.
BIC V-80, Dayton Sub-1200, Polk PSW110.

Thanks!
I'm not sure why the 8-inch BIC is on your list since one can get the V1220 with a 12-inch driver for around your budget (a sub I do own). Out of those listed, the Dayton SUB-1200 might be your best bet. Not familiar with the 10-inch Polk.

#277 ·
Another new sub recommendation needed. Current setup is Arcam AVR400 powering the following speakers:

Front = Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE

Center = VA Maestro

Rear = VA Bach

Sub = Rel Q201E (failing and needs to be replaced)

Room = 28x14. Ceiling 8' Floors = wood

Listening habits = 85% music (jazz and rock), 15% movies (usually SciFi or Action)

Budget = $1500

Appearance requirements = black finish

Timeframe = Now

#278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace  /t/989316/want-advice-on-what-sub-to-purchase-please-read-this-before-posting/270#post_24574384

Another new sub recommendation needed. Current setup is Arcam AVR400 powering the following speakers:

Front = Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE

Center = VA Maestro

Rear = VA Bach

Sub = Rel Q201E (failing and needs to be replaced)

Room = 28x14. Ceiling 8' Floors = wood

Listening habits = 85% music (jazz and rock), 15% movies (usually SciFi or Action)

Budget = $1500

Appearance requirements = black finish

Timeframe = Now

SVS Ultra 13?