AVS Forum banner

** OFFICIAL ** Denon AVR-3310CI/990 Owner's Thread

639K views 4K replies 627 participants last post by  AresROC 
#1 ·
Looks like I'm one of the first one's out here with the unit so here we go with a few basic thoughts and comments.

1. Great looking unit. Pictures don't do it justice. Sharp looking and dare I use my wife's term "elegant."

2. Manual Does suck - as shown in ALL DENON AVR PRODUCTS

-Thanks to Batbig for his Amazingly thorough walkthrough for setting up Denon AVRs.

3. Remote sucks. And the wife thought the Onkyo 797's Remote was bad. It's really cheap looking and feeling for a $1500 receiver. I'd just be embarrassed if I were Denon. Next on my list - the Harmony One (or Harmony Two if they ever release it).

4. Interface. Takes some getting used to. I'm really just a few hours into it but I will say I find it rather intuitive. It's not the best thing ever, but it does the job and I don't foresee myself in there often. That being said, it still feels like a text menu system with a GUI dropped on top of it.

5. Customization. Wow. There's just a ton of it. I'm just scratching the surface and I'm very impressed. One of the highlights - full video control (Tint/Contrast/Saturation/etc) tied to each input. I don't know if anyone else does it, but I am very pleased.

6. Audyssey Speaker Set up. Haven't gotten to it yet. Spent 2 hours plugging in the components and finishing the speaker wire banana plugs. At that point the wife sticks her head in and asks, can we eat and watch Burn Notice? Of course we can.

7. Audio Quality. I'm coming here from a 9 year old Onkyo 797 - which did (and still does) a phenomenal job. Really sounded great. Warm tones and good power for those big booming moments. The Denon features some very warm tones and sounds great. More as I get deeper into testing.

8. Video Upscaling. Told you we watched Burn Notice. Standard Def over Digital Cable. Looked a lot cleaner than the upscaler in my Sharp LCD. We also watched last night's Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (HD Channel with SD cameras for the show) - my wife even mentioned how everything looked sharper. Colors deeper.

9. PS3 / 360. Both hooked up and played fine. It's too late to blast the Blu Ray, would wake up my daughter. I'll test it over the weekend.

10. Networking. Plugged the unit it, had everything set up and after 15 minutes it warns me about a NEW FIRMWARE. I canceled as we were watching TV and eating. Will wait until the weekend to update I think.

So that's my first night with the 3310. Hope it wasn't too rambly, I'm tired. But any questions, thoughts, etc give me a shout and I'll dig in and see what I can find.

Mark

See less See more
#3,539 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by netorders /forum/post/21701140

Anyone get a survey from Denon via e-mail? Since the 3310 is the only product of theirs I purchased, it has to be 3310. Or mAybe spam?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLitwack /forum/post/21701736

I'd love to get a questionnaire on the 3310. The network issue and how it has been ignored is bad business and unacceptable at this price point or any other. Perhaps if they heard from enough 3310 owners some type of remedy would occur!

It already has ... Denon is replacing the network card when the unit is returned to an authorized service center.

#3,540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21701777

Yes.

It already has ... Denon is replacing the network card when the unit is returned to an authorized service center.

I havent tried the firmware update for fear of the network card issue, or secondly, the "1 min remaining" hang that some are getting when trying to update, but probably will tomorrow when their support service can be reached. I was going to try it tonight but if I have any issues, I'll be without a receiver for good until at least the morning.

Anyone had any issues with the firmware not properly updating with the '1 min left' hang issue?

#3,542 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21702952

^^

I would check with Denon first to see if they will repair your unit if the NIC fails as you're likely outside of the 2 year warranty, although check with your credit card provider as they may add an additional 3rd year of warranty, otherwise the board will cost about $150 to replace on your own.

Hmm....unfortunately getting it repaired at the moment isn't an option to to employment issues, but if I get the "1 min left" hang issue, does it brick the receiver if it doesn't finish? Or does it just not complete and goes back to its original state and is still useable?

#3,543 ·
Jdsmoothie,

I understand they are switching cards.....that said I'm on my third card and I have run out of patience.....with a known issue of this magnitude it would have been commendable if denon had offered a credit to purchase a different unit or a refund after the second go round.

#3,544 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan /forum/post/21703578

Hmm....unfortunately getting it repaired at the moment isn't an option to to employment issues, but if I get the "1 min left" hang issue, does it brick the receiver if it doesn't finish? Or does it just not complete and goes back to its original state and is still useable?

I just called Denon and the rep said if the unit is out of it's 2 year warranty the card and labor would be at the consumer's expense. Some owners have come back from a hung NIC by doing a network reset (up/down arrows while powering on), however, if you haven't done a firmware update at this point and don't want to spend $150 to buy the card on your own, I would suggest not doing an update at all as they are generally only minor fixes.

#3,545 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLitwack /forum/post/21703629

Jdsmoothie,

I understand they are switching cards.....that said I'm on my third card and I have run out of patience.....with a known issue of this magnitude it would have been commendable if denon had offered a credit to purchase a different unit or a refund after the second go round.

I agree with you; however, as long as you're not having to pay for the replacement cards or labor be thankful for that. You might also want to check with your credit card company to see if they will replace the unit for you.

#3,546 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21703713

I just called Denon and the rep said if the unit is out of it's 2 year warranty the card and labor would be at the consumer's expense. Some owners have come back from a hung NIC by doing a network reset (up/down arrows while powering on), however, if you haven't done a firmware update at this point and don't want to spend $150 to buy the card on your own, I would suggest not doing an update at all as they are generally only minor fixes.

Thanks for calling, I was about to get on the horn with them myself.

So the unit is resettable if it hangs? That's all I'm worried about, really. I dont have a use for it other than to update the firmware. Do you know what the the fixes are? I'm having minor connection issues between the AVR and the tv I have but am pretty sure they are TV related and not AVR.

And that's a lot of coin for a NIC card! Is it a proprietary NIC or can you get a replacement at somewhere like fry's?

#3,547 ·
^^

Again ... I said "some" owners are recovering using the network reset ... but not all. This NIC is not a generic card and must be purchased from one of Denon's authorized parts distributors, however, is reportedly not difficult to replace ... taking only minutes ... like installing additional RAM to a laptop. However, at this stage of the game .. you've gone without updating ... no reason to now.

#3,548 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan /forum/post/0

I havent tried the firmware update for fear of the network card issue, or secondly, the "1 min remaining" hang that some are getting when trying to update, but probably will tomorrow when their support service can be reached. I was going to try it tonight but if I have any issues, I'll be without a receiver for good until at least the morning.

Anyone had any issues with the firmware not properly updating with the '1 min left' hang issue?

I didn't try updating my firmware until the issues with the star wars bluray set popped up

Mine sat at the one min remaining for over 20 mins before finally completing successfully

I turned off all notifications before connecting to my network. There was a lot of confusion between update and upgrade as there was an update available for purchase which is different then the upgrade firmware. Either way I'd rather do it manually then have my receiver check

#3,549 ·
I haven't tried the latest firmware update because I can't seem to save my settings from the web application. If anyone could tell me how they've saved via the web app I'd appreciate it.... I know the FAQ has a brief section on it but I've had no luck.... I click on save and nothing seems to happen..... Any ideas?

#3,552 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

^^

Again ... I said "some" owners are recovering using the network reset ... but not all. This NIC is not a generic card and must be purchased from one of Denon's authorized parts distributors, however, is reportedly not difficult to replace ... taking only minutes ... like installing additional RAM to a laptop. However, at this stage of the game .. you've gone without updating ... no reason to now.

Yeah if I haven't any REAL issues I guess it's better to not fix it if it's not broke. One of the reasons I was wanting to update it was after the software update to the tv I have I'm getting a random snowy picture out of the blue more often now that only used to happen only when watching cable but now happening on DVDs also. It seems more of an HDMI connection issue with the tv but was hoping an update to the unit might fix any HDMI connection problems. Once it happens, I just have to press the DVD or sat/cable button on the remote a time or two and the picture comes back - but it is annoying to happen in the middle of watching a movie and watch the screen go snowy and 'HDMI 1' come up, like the signal gets cut out.

#3,553 ·
^^

Well as Dirty Harry would say ... you have to ask yourself ... "Do I feel lucky?" When you're ready to upgrade to either Audyssey MultEQ XT or XT32 then give the update a try and possibly get a few more years out of the 3310CI. Keep in mind though that even the 2112CI offers the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT at roughly 1/3 of what the 3310CI originally cost.

#3,554 ·
Wow! 119 pages. That's a lot of reading! Is there a way to separate this by topic? I'm trying to figure out how to play random files directly from my DLNA server. It seems like the Denon only wants to play random files from one folder only. All my music on the DLNA server is separated into folders under Artists/Albums/Songs under "All Music" folder. I cannot figure out how to do this without a PC running Winamp or iTunes. That leaves me victim to the D/A converter in the laptop. The PS3 can kinda do this by creating play lists, but is limited to the number of songs you can enter. My preference would be to point the receiver at the "All Music" folder and let her eat.

(Thinking out loud)

The PC is the friendliest, most flexible method so far. Perhaps if there is a way to transfer the digital info from the PC to the Denon and let the Denon do the decoding? Or, there is enough room on the DLNA server to copy the songs into one flat file. There is no way I would do this by hand. I would need some kind of SW program. Hmmm.

I apologize if this has been addressed or is redundant. I'm willing to find the answers myself if someone would be willing to teach me how to find them. If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know. Have you tried anything else? Thanks in advance.

#3,555 ·
Over the last couple of hours, I may have thought of a solution. When I was doing my research on DLNA servers and NSD's, I remember reading that Windows 7 can be a DLNA client and server; whereas, XP is a client only (which is what I am running now). So, it may be possible to source WMP, iTunes or Winamp from a DLNA server as a client and turn around and present this information to the Denon as a Server. HMMM. Is that possible? Anyone tried this on Linux?

#3,556 ·
Just as a test . . .

I took a Flac version of Chopin and played it on the Denon 3310CI using a Dell PC connected analog accessing the DNLA server. Then compared playing the same song on a USB drive in the front panel. What a difference! With the PC, I could hear the fan noise coming out of the speakers. With the USB connection, I could hear the audience coughing and shuffling with little background noise.

If you are like me and like to listen to everything from Classical to Metal, then having the ability to reproduce as best as possible is important. The USB drive option is fine for album or single song selection, but we need an option for playlists.

Tested on:

Denon 3310CI

SVS, 2-MTS01, 2-MBS01, 1-MCS01

Emotiva XPA3

Audessey EQ

Dolby PLII

#3,557 ·
Does anyone know the part number of the NIC currently being used to replace the defective one? I've already replaced the original NIC in my 3310 with the DM860 card but now that has stopped working after 2 years. I've about had it with this set, since the main reason I got it was the ability to connect to my network and support Internet radio. Microprocessor or network reset did not work for me so I need to get this new NIC.

#3,558 ·
the part i ordered back last September was

DEN8R1891001200D DM860 SUB ASSY AVR3310CI 1

From Herman electronics it had a MFR date of 2011,

I can only guess that such a later mfr date should have the bugs worked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.