AVS Forum banner
544K views 3K replies 221 participants last post by  damelon 
#1 · (Edited)
Black/Red Theater (Yes it was named something else before)
Construction by BIGmouthinDC and Damelon (Construction Time: 7/26/11 - Mid November 2011)
Inspiration from Sandman's/SMX Theater - Acoustical Plans by Bryan Pape (BPape)

Room Details (Trying to make this a table!)
Initial Space : 23’6”L x 16’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Construction : Room in a Room. Second wall with 1” gap.
Space after Secondary Wall : 22’8”L x 15’4”W x 8’9”H
Wall Decoupling Method : RISC-DC04 Clips
Ceiling Decoupling Method : Clip & Channel
Drywall Method : 2 Layers of 5/8” Drywall with Green Glue
Door : 28” Wide, 1 ¾” Thick solid core door.
Soffit Size : 16” Wide x 10” Tall
Column Info : 6 Columns, 16” Wide x 10” Deep
Screen Size : 130” Wide (149" diag) SeymourAV Centerstage XD with horizontal masking panels
Stage Specs : 2x10s, Sand Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Riser Specs : 2x12s, Insulation Filled, Double ¾” Plywood with Felt
Front Wall Treatment : 2” 3lb Dense Cotton – OC703 Corner Bass Traps
Side Wall Treatments : 1” 3lb Dense Cotton
Rear Wall Treatments : 2” OC703 with Paper Face + 2” air gap
Fabric Colors : GOM Black and GOM Claret Accent.
Paint Color : Behr (Home Depot) Antique Ruby (To Match Fabric)
Viewing Distances : 12’ Front Row, 18’ Rear Row (Approx)
Projector : JVC RS540 E-Shift 4K
Speakers : 3x Axiom M80 L/C/R, 4x Axiom QS8 Surrounds
Subwoofers : 2x Seaton Submersive HP+ (Master & Slave)
Amp : Sunfire TGA7400
Preamp : Denon X4500H (Previously Onkyo PR-SC5508)
HTPC : 50TB Unraid NAS & HTPC using Kodi with RTX2060
Carpet : Stainmaster "Silver Lake" (Lowes)

ALL PHOTOS CAN BE VIEWED IN THE ALBUM LINK BELOW.
BR Theater Build Album

Link to my complete cost breakdown of the theater, along with several links of where I acquired products
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21138019

Original Acoustical Plan design (See above for treatment variance on side/rear walls)
Acoustical Plan

Original Completed Photos - Theater (Scope Screen)

Theater Screen Conversion (to 16:9) & Star Ceiling Addition - 2015

Pool Information:
Size : (31,000 Gallons) about 42 feet long and 16-20 feet wide depending on location.
Retaining Wall Stone is Sequoia Rustic Ledge from El Dorado Stone
Pool Automation Equipment - Jandy Aqualink
Pool Lights : Hayward Colorlogic
Pool Pumps : Jandy
Pool Heater : Raypak 400k BTU Propane 

Beginning of Patio Project - End Phase 1 - Spring 2013 (Under-Deck, Bar/Grill, and Hot Tub Area)

End of Patio Project - Summer 2016
WINNER : 1st place / Cast-in-Place, Stamped / Under 5,000 SF Category from American Society of Concrete Contractors 2016

Basement Bar Project. Completed July, 2014

See less See more
#1,246 ·
I'm planning to use this method from Big's theater inspiration. Cover the staples with molding. Looks much faster to construct to me.

#1,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/21734732

It's all about the look you want, but the ability to hide staples with molding and columns can make the process quicker.

Yeah, but with the fabric frames. the staples are on the backside any way. so I guess it is up to me still. I am thinking I will got the molding to wall with frame resting on top, seems the easiest for some reason.

#1,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/21736131

I will be using the "furring on the wall first" method in Ohio next week and there will be pictures documenting the approach in that thread.

ah yes, we mixed thoughts and builds. I was referring to the method of things in the Bacon race here, with the individual panels. But I can see why with the furring strips one would want to use molding on top.

I finally started to make some frames to finish some open items like the under side of my steps. Completed first layer of cut pieces, working on second and then I need to glue them all together. The interesting part is that in a span of 21", my staircase frame got like 1/16" wider, so all the cuts are different widths, so I am measuring each piece. Makes things take a little longer than expected.

The stairs and its framing were there, so this is not my doing, I am simply working with what I was given. Either way it is a milestone to begin work on a frame.

Still waiting to hear back from bpape on some other questions I have for him. Both email and PM have gone un-responded thus far. Anyone hear from the man lately, just checking to make sure I am contacting the correct channels.

#1,250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/21737112

Still waiting to hear back from bpape on some other questions I have for him. Both email and PM have gone un-responded thus far. Anyone hear from the man lately, just checking to make sure I am contacting the correct channels.

Byran is a great resource, but when it comes to PM or email, he doesn't always get around to them. If you need him right away, and are paying him, always call him. He checks the boards here a LOT less than he used to, and when he gets busy he doesn't read his emails... but he always picks up the phone!

#1,253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/21120619

comparison of a bunch of the ones dicussed.

The cross hatching is about an inch square in the following from Home Depot

what I have, Masland Quadrate

Also available

What Sandman has (he got a guy to crawl on his hands and knees and dye the stripes red)

Which carpet did you actually go with, any of these? I am trying to compare but can't really tell.

#1,256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 /forum/post/21754618

So it is, hmm, wish they had it listed on their website.

They used to have it online! (Thats where those top two photos came from) But now that I'm looking, I don't see it. There were some at Home Depot and some at Lowes which were all close competitors for my final choice. I went to several "Carpet" stores and found absolutely nothing that I liked compared to the ones at Lowes/HD. When I saw this last one though, i knew it was exactly what I wanted. It is a pretty thick carpet though, so it messed with the door threshold we had. The door with the seal was too low for the carpet, and in order to make the door clear the carpet we had to trim the bottom. That ended up leaving a gap between the threshold and seal. It does mess with the soundproofing since there is an air gap until I raise the threshold, but in all honesty I have yet to watch a movie in there when anyone else is in the house and NOT in the theater, so it's not a high priority.

#1,257 ·
Did Lowes install the carpet for you damelon?

#1,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin /forum/post/21755883

Did Lowes install the carpet for you damelon?

No, my wife is a real-estate agent, so she has her go-to guys for HVAC, carpet, paint, etc in the area. So our carpet guy had his installers come in and install it (They did the padding too) They did it very quickly, and it was a decent job.

#1,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/21773386

D, Bzbase thinks that your carpet would look in his dark purple room, stopped in Lowes today. Does style Silver Lake, and color LO16 Gothic suite ring a bell? The sample looks so Black.

They both do sound very familiar. I looked at it, that's for sure, and I'm almost positive I got silver lake as the style. The problem with samples on that carpet is that the small pieces are way too small to show how it looks.

#1,262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/21783442

damelon,

what version of unRaid are you using? I'm planning to take the plunge and migrate my WHS to unRaid in the next few weeks, and I'm not sure if I should go with the latest stable release (4.7 I think), or try out the beta version.

I am running 4.7. Have not yet felt the need to go to v5. I feel safer here.

#1,264 ·
I'm running 5 beta 13. Have been for almost half of a year now with no issues. I had to go with beta 5 to support my 3TB hard drives, as they are not supported in version 4.

I use the ps3mediaserver plugin, the APC ups plugin, the myMain menu thing, and I think that's all.

Been running great so far.

#1,265 ·
The unRaid forum is very helpful, but I feel like you have to understand everything to, well, understand it.

Aside from 3TB drive support, are there any other advantages to version 5? I'd really like to set this thing up and not have to worry with it for a while as the rest of this year is going to be very busy!

#1,266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/21784522

The unRaid forum is very helpful, but I feel like you have to understand everything to, well, understand it.

Aside from 3TB drive support, are there any other advantages to version 5? I'd really like to set this thing up and not have to worry with it for a while as the rest of this year is going to be very busy!

Well with the new version came many bug fixes as well, but also it is still labeled a "beta", so there are new problems introduced. Version 5 has been in beta for a VERY long time though. I went with version 13 because it seemed to be the most stable version at the time. I haven't had a single problem in the last 6 months. (Or the entire time, depending on how you want to look at it)

It really depends on what you want it to do, etc. I needed to run version 5. If you aren't using 3tb hdds, there is no real need to run version 5. But then again, it's been out for so long now, which means all of their fixes and improvements have been focused on that version for a very long time, as well as plugin development. I'm surprised it isn't out of beta yet.

I love that program though. The entire server has such a small footprint on that thumb drive. Backup is so simple for the server configuration. The auto-spin up/down works great. Yeah writes are a little slow to the array but almost every time it is a write once, read many type of deal. I'm able to play all of my full quality blu-ray mkv's without any problems over the network.

#1,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/21784522

version 5 has a new GUI...

I have considered testing v5 in a non production environment, just haven't...Might be worth a look one day.

V4 has been solid to date, so I just havent seen the need to upgrade as I do not have 3TB drives yet.

#1,269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 /forum/post/21804679

Any reason why you didn't go with a grafik eye setup besides maybe cost?

Well cost definitely. That and need. I just didn't need it. I can RF remote the lights if I need to, but I rarely ever even need that. I just turn on the lights when we go in the room, and turn them off when the movie is ready to start and sit down. I guess I never understood the point of advanced lighting macros for a movie room. Wasn't something I ever really cared that much about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.