AVS Forum banner

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

10K views 135 replies 29 participants last post by  Chairman7w 
#1 ·
How is there no thread for this game here?

Played through the demo 3 times this weekend trying to do everything you could, kept getting that silly notification that the quest can only be completed in the full game.

Absolute day 1 purchase for me, I can't wait until next Tuesday.

#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/21715296

Beat it. I think I have like 2 tasks left where I haven't found some papers.

200 something quests done.

Main story complete.

Duped out some Greater Damaging Rivets/Wraps/Bindings because I didn't want to wait for store restock and made gear that hat +40% damage +20% damage to lightly wounded creatures and a fire staff/sceptre of doom. Sceptre will single shot kill anything end game but trolls and fire sprites and has hit in excess of 15k. Trying to farm for flawless damaging pieces and figured one hitting everything would be fastest.

Oh, and only about 70 hours.

Also, very excited for DLC

And oh yeah, are you playing on hard or normal?

#103 ·
So i picked this up based on some of your glowing comments (Chairman) and am enjoying so far. I am about 3 hours in and now my daughter wants to start her own campaign from the beginning. Can we both play together - logging in and saving to different points? (i know you can't play at same time)

If i start a new campaign will it overwrite my progress? What is the exact process for playing and maintaining two distinct campaigns? Do i need to log in to the ps3 as a new user?

thanks in advance

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne /forum/post/21720966

And oh yeah, are you playing on hard or normal?

Hard, full sorcery.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21723711

So i picked this up based on some of your glowing comments (Chairman) and am enjoying so far. I am about 3 hours in and now my daughter wants to start her own campaign from the beginning. Can we both play together - logging in and saving to different points? (i know you can't play at same time)

If i start a new campaign will it overwrite my progress? What is the exact process for playing and maintaining two distinct campaigns? Do i need to log in to the ps3 as a new user?

thanks in advance

New PS3 user would probably be easiest, but you can maintain about 100 individual saves. You will eventually run out of saves for the game. Could be annoying to accidentally overwrite a save

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/21723756

New PS3 user would probably be easiest, but you can maintain about 100 individual saves. You will eventually run out of saves for the game. Could be annoying to accidentally overwrite a save

Yeah, I would give her a user account of her own. That's nice for most games, where she can collect her own trophies and track her own high scores. You can friend each other too, and she can try to beat your high score in games like Zen Pinball and the like. A nice bonus of multiple user accounts, is when PSN went down and they gave every account holder those two free games, we were able to get all 5 across the multiple accounts we happened to have. I even created an Admin account that is the only one with my CC info and I don't have automatic sign-in for that one. The account I game with, as well as the kid's accounts are all sub-accounts of that one. That way nobody except me can add funds to the wallet, in case the children got over-exuberant about buying games (which wasn't a problem, but it just seemed like a good idea), or if the PS3 ever got stolen.

Anyway, a lot of benefits to having separate accounts. So far, all games, DLC and Online Passes I've ever gotten through purchasing or free codes have worked across all user accounts. I will be bummed out if that ever changes in the future.

#107 ·
Cool!

You can both play your own game, but have to be REAL careful about overwriting each other's saves.

Eddie Jr and I have done this with Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim, etc... Shouldn't be a problem.

When ever I finish playing for the night, I make two saves at the same spot - just in case Jr accidentally overwrites my save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21723711

thanks in advance

#108 ·
ok sounds like new user might be the way to go. well i once created a second user account with UK address to take advantage of European PSN store. Can i just use that account or should i create a totally new account for her? Do i need to sign the new account to the PS store (provide a different email etc)

And if i just use the save function (and manage the single user account) how do u keep track of different save slots? Will it be obvious which user is saving to which?

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21723988

ok sounds like new user might be the way to go. well i once created a second user account with UK address to take advantage of European PSN store. Can i just use that account or should i create a totally new account for her? Do i need to sign the new account to the PS store (provide a different email etc)

And if i just use the save function (and manage the single user account) how do u keep track of different save slots? Will it be obvious which user is saving to which?

Right when you start, it'll be easy to see which one is which because of the different times and places, but if she catches up to you and you're saving in similar places and gameplay times it could be difficult. I don't think the saves mention character name, I could be wrong though, I wasn't looking at that. It just seems so much easier to make a separate account. You will need to use a separate email. I took advantage of that as an opportunity to grab them a good gmail address. This way you can actually use the parental controls on the PS3 if you choose to, and restrict chat on the kids accounts while having it available for you to use on your own account. I could see just using one account on XboxLive, since they make you pay for each account, but on PS3, where they're free and you can actually take advantage of all the services the PS3 offers without having to pay any extra, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to do that. It will take about five minutes. Maybe quicker if you have a laptop with you so you can check the email address without having to walk into a different room.

#110 ·
You certainly can't go wrong with the New User Option - probably safer that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21723988

#112 ·
I was JUST coming here to post! Just picked it up at lunch and WOW!! It's a monster! HUGE! 2-1/2" thick, with a hardcover. Pretty amazing.

#114 ·
Thanks for your help - i did setup TWO user accounts and playing the game that way - all is perfect.

I am enjoying the game alot but have some basic questions about combat and reckoning mode.

How do you string together a combo? Is this simply using multiple attacks without any enemies hitting you first or is there some process? I understand that special moves follow a simple formula that u must follow and that you unlock moves as you progress. But special moves are not the same as combo??

Also I am curious about blocking, dodging, guarding and parrying. i assume a parry is when you use your shield just as your enemy attacks. I have done this a few times and it does stun the attacker and open him up for damage. Does using your shield (or simply dodging and rolling) affect a combo?

What is canceling? Does this affect a combo? When and how do you use this?

And finally how does Reckoning mode really work? I know you have to have enough "fate meter" to attempt and hitting L1 and R1 activates Reckoning. I see that time slows down and you have a chance to eliminate all your enemies. But do you keep L1/R1 pressed down the whole time?

Obviously I haven't mastered basic combat so most fights are button mashing for me but I know there is a strategy. The few times I have tried reckoning i had trouble attacking because i had the L1/R1 pressed the whole time so could not bring up the R1 attacks like Fire bolt and I think i was using my shield too much cause i was pressing L1 as well. What is the method to attack while in this mode?

And what is the basic strategy for Reckoning mode? Do you save it for later in the game or activate whenever it is avail? Does it help you level up to use it as much as possible?

Finally I am a bit confused by the QTE button icons. I understand that you have to hit the face button when u see it appear on screen but do you tap once, press and hold or mash? Or are there on-screen clues for any of these actions?

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21736817

And what is the basic strategy for Reckoning mode? Do you save it for later in the game or activate whenever it is avail? Does it help you level up to use it as much as possible?

Finally I am a bit confused by the QTE button icons. I understand that you have to hit the face button when u see it appear on screen but do you tap once, press and hold or mash? Or are there on-screen clues for any of these actions?

I'm playing the 360 version, but I think I can help a bit with Reckoning mode:

Reckoning is the purple meter that fills up as you kill things. Once full, you unleash it by pressing L1 and R1 and let go. This will make you powerful and things move slow, giving you time to take care of a group of enemies, and/or a particularly hard one. If taking on multiple weaker foes, don't finish the first one off as soon as the "Finish Him" icon appears (I'm assuming it's X on the PS controller?), but keep an eye on the purple meter as it drains. Once it's about depleted, then finish off the boss or the hardest one by hitting X, which will open up one of the 4 buttons to mash as fast as possible. Depending on how fast you mashed the button, you get bonus XP.

Someone please correct this if it doesn't translate to the PS version.

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/21736877

I'm playing the 360 version, but I think I can help a bit with Reckoning mode:

Reckoning is the purple meter that fills up as you kill things. Once full, you unleash it by pressing L1 and R1 and let go. This will make you powerful and things move slow, giving you time to take care of a group of enemies, and/or a particularly hard one. If taking on multiple weaker foes, don't finish the first one off as soon as the "Finish Him" icon appears (I'm assuming it's X on the PS controller?), but keep an eye on the purple meter as it drains. Once it's about depleted, then finish off the boss or the hardest one by hitting X, which will open up one of the 4 buttons to mash as fast as possible. Depending on how fast you mashed the button, you get bonus XP.

Someone please correct this if it doesn't translate to the PS version.

This is exactly correct Daver, good job.

#117 ·
ok that makes sense - i was not letting go of L1/R1. So you can use any attacks while in Reckoning? And i also understand what you mean by waiting to finish your opponents until the meter is almost drained but if i hit the "x" to finish off a lesser foe won't it kill everyone else on screen?

And with the QTE icons, the first time you just hit the button once and then after they die you mash the button on screen? Are there specific instances where you mash or just simply press or press and hold?

And what about special moves, combos and canceling?

Sorry for all the questions...

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball /forum/post/21736976

ok that makes sense - i was not letting go of L1/R1. So you can use any attacks while in Reckoning? And i also understand what you mean by waiting to finish your opponents until the meter is almost drained but if i hit the "x" to finish off a lesser foe won't it kill everyone else on screen?

And with the QTE icons, the first time you just hit the button once and then after they die you mash the button on screen? Are there specific instances where you mash or just simply press or press and hold?

And what about special moves, combos and canceling?

Sorry for all the questions...

You need everyone to have the x above their heads. Then you click it on one and they all explode and give you massive xp. My best fateshift is 13

Oh, and you need to repeatedly mash it.

Not sure about combos/special moves...I play sorcerer and usually just nuke them all at once

#119 ·
The moves are just different attack button sequences.

Like X + X, or O + X or something. You can do them one after another to chain them though. I use a dual dagger wielding Roguey type guy and it's fun to do my attack where I Evade first, (0), then attack (X), which will launch my enemy in the air, then I spam the **** out of the triangle (my bow) button and a stream of arrows gushes forth, blasting my enemy upward and away! Fun stuff! (especially when they're near a cliff!)

Sorry, but I don't know about cancelling or parrying. I have the big book but haven't dug in yet.

#120 ·
Parry would just be to tap block as they hit, then it slows down. I've been trying to do it for a trophy

#122 ·
You just hit X when the moving thing goes over the correct Rune. You do them in order:

Runes with ONE stripe.

Runes with TWO stripes.

Runes with THREE stripes.

So, do all the ONEs, then the TWOs, then the THREEs.

That's as I understand it.

Remember, too - that every point you put into the Dispelling Skill makes them easier and easier until, at higher levels, you can practically Auto Dispel any Ward you come across.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w /forum/post/21738888

You just hit X when the moving thing goes over the correct Rune. You do them in order:

Runes with ONE stripe.

Runes with TWO stripes.

Remember, too - that every point you put into the Dispelling Skill makes them easier and easier until, at higher levels, you can practically Auto Dispel any Ward you come across.

Well, you never got to 100% dispel on any. As long as there's space between them, you can just hit them in any order. The more stripes the faster they disappear but you can often go around all of them and nail it.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/21741075

Well, you never got to 100% dispel on any. As long as there's space between them, you can just hit them in any order. The more stripes the faster they disappear but you can often go around all of them and nail it.

Good clarification - thanks Chris.

#125 ·
Also, forcing a lock, while it may be 100%, always loses a lock pick. Didn't notice that until I was down to a single pick

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w /forum/post/21738888

Runes with ONE stripe.

Runes with TWO stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/21741075

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I've just in general been avoiding the dispels, as you always get afflicted with something bad when you screw it up.

Chairman, if that was you that finished the game already, what level were you upon completion?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.