AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#13,101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21732825

No, you would typically start at the most recent post and work backwards for a few pages, until you simply can't take it any more.

Or, try a thread search.

If you can't find an answer then post a question in this topic.

I understand that. The fact remains that I have posted questions in numerous threads only to have my posts skipped over ratther than being a catalyst for specific and granular discussion germane to my needs. You know that happens. Already another person has posted a question they need answered. The thread will now go in that direction. No problem. Just not convenient for the community you folks need in place in order to sell advertising.

Now Google analytics may be telling you that people are sticking to the site and you think its due to the fact that they have to search everything but Google doesn't tell you about degradation of brand equity and banner blindness.

As a person who's comapny has managed marketing for Tiger Direct and other name brands I know a couple of things about the benefits of keeping your customrs, audience, community happy by making a visit to a site an effortless and positive experience.

Thanks for your help.

#13,102 ·
I've got an '83, no problems at all so far, I have it connected by network, so the updates come in regularly, which is awesome, since they usually nail any disc problems before I get them. I remember early on, there was a firmware update that dealt with the disc drawer eject, so updating the firmware might do the job.

As others have mentioned, Oppo is incredible in support, even fixing units long past the warranty is out for known problems. Otherwise, their fee is really low for the work done, and they have very quick turn around. This is where you cash in on part of what you paid for the unit.

Otherwise, get a 93. I am on the verge of buying one and moving my trusty 83 to the bedroom.

#13,103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/21733121

I'm in the market for my first BD player. I'm an HTPC guy, but I find myself renting much more than buying lately and the ease of a stand-alone player is calling my name. Also, despite numerous HTPC tweaks, I've always wondered if a separate player would give me a better picture than PC software players.

Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:

- excellent PQ

- bitstream all audio codecs

- great upscale for SD content

- great audio quality for CDs

Here's what I don't need:

- 3D

- apps

- stream movies/music from network

- play burned discs

Budget is probably sub $200. Even though I'm sure the Oppo is fantastic, I don't want to spend that kind of money. Any suggestions?

You might consider the new X20 line from Panasonic. They also have the BDT77/87 which doesn't have 3D playback.

S~

#13,106 ·
Is there list somehere that lists of all current BD players that can play 1080i/50 and PAL DVD? It doesn't have to be a region free player. I just want to be able to play my region-free discs (concerts) I bought from UK just in case my BDP-HD1/BDP-320 and BDP-LX55 bite the dust.

I know Oppo can do it, but I keep having bad luck with Oppo

#13,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by norml4721 /forum/post/21720122

Hi Guys :

Question 2 Is there a better player than the Oppo -93 in the $500/ $600(or less) price range.

I have a good colection of SD DVD's as well as BLU RAYS. and am thinking about 3-D. I also stream Netfix thru a Sony Streaming player at the moment.

Any comments or info would be appreciated. Even if you say don't bother with upgrade. etc

Thanks

I had a Oppo 93 for 1 month. I do not get all this Oppo hoop-a-laa. I returned and am trying out Samsung and Panasonic. But, I am waiting for the HDI Dune pro to come out soon.

#13,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub /forum/post/21731924

My trusty Oppo is acting finicky. The disc drawer won't open unless I tap it while holding the eject button or put slight weight on the top of the player at the front by the drawer. It could just be an adjustment but this happened on my PC and I had to replace the unit.

That said I just did a ton of research into amps, etc and am burnt out. So I'm hoping you folks can enlighten me as to whether Oppo is still the best Blu-Ray player out there or if Denon, Panasonic or others have caught up. SACD/DVD-Audio support is nice; I have a few but not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

HDI Dune.

#13,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me /forum/post/21741852

I had a Oppo 93 for 1 month. I do not get all this Oppo hoop-a-laa. I returned and am trying out Samsung and Panasonic. But, I am waiting for the HDI Dune pro to come out soon.

Well, isn't that system coming in at $2000 or more? (2-3K Euros?) The Oppo hoop-a-laa is for the value from the different Oppos, the reliability of the unit and its great capabilities. As well as killer customer support.

The HDI Pro also has the Cinavia DRM embedded within it, with all of the limitations that implies. So far, given the current models, the only tangible difference is the ability to dock hard drives within the HDI as opposed to the connection by USB port with the Oppo.

There is one ability that the HDI Pro has which is great, and which I'm hoping Oppo will add to either the current or next models, which is the ability to mount SMB / NTFS / UPnP volumes. That would make things very nice as far as network access. Otherwise, the Oppo 93 provides the same media access and support, with possibly (didn't see this on the HDI site) SACD and DVD-A in addition (I have a good number of those, so it's valuable to me).

Price / Performance, I'd take the Oppo, and would put the Oppo up against the HDI strictly on performance. It's a gamble, since I haven't seen the HDI, but hey - The Oppo 83 I have has been the most solid piece of electronics I've had.

#13,110 ·
Would I notice the audio benifits of the oppo 95 (versus the 93) with my older 5.1 system.

Receiver: B & K AVR 307

Fronts and Center: Sonus Faber Concerto

Sub: Rel B3

Rears: NHT 6.2 In-wall

I will be connecting the player thru the 5.1 analog inputs on the Receiver.

It has been many years since I have upgraded a component so any advice would be appreciated. My gut feeling is that my equipment is more on the level of the oppo 93.

Thanks

#13,114 ·
I have 47" LG (LD520) paired with a Panasonic BDT-210 (built-in WiFi) and they work beautifully together. 47" is bigger than you want but there are smaller sizes (and other mfrs). I prefer to have a non-smart tv because it's one less thing to break or go wrong on your tv (you're without a tv during the repair period), the BD players with WiFi are easier to repair if necessary and usually have a richer feature set. Besides, it's cheaper to replace the BD player if newer features become available (streaming channels or services) than it is to replace the tv. There have been reports of Netflix issues with the 210 but I've never had any issues at all with mine when I've used it (I usually use my AppleTV2 for Netflix).

#13,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronano /forum/post/21749233

Would I notice the audio benifits of the oppo 95 (versus the 93) with my older 5.1 system.

Receiver: B & K AVR 307

Fronts and Center: Sonus Faber Concerto

Sub: Rel B3

Rears: NHT 6.2 In-wall

I will be connecting the player thru the 5.1 analog inputs on the Receiver.

It has been many years since I have upgraded a component so any advice would be appreciated. My gut feeling is that my equipment is more on the level of the oppo 93.

Thanks

My take is the opposite. The Concerto speakers are excellent, the 307 is an excellent analog receiver. Both the 93 and the 95 provide 7.1 inputs if you ever want to take your system there. I think this is exactly the type of system that gets the most out of the 95.

Don't get me wrong, the 93 is no slouch as far as analog outputs, but with a system like yours, the 95 will make a difference. It provides all of the decoding of the lossless formats (HT and music) that your 307 lacks, and has very high end D/A conversion.

Post this same on the 95 thread and they'll be all over you on the goodness of the 95 for your setup. I have two systems, one based on a current AVR, which I use only HDMI on for all listening, then another that is analog with an older AVR. The HDMI system will be getting a 93, the analog system will get my current 83, but I will be upgrading it to an 83SE through Oppo's upgrade offering.

My 2 cents - go with the 95, drop into the 95 thread and talk to the folks there.

#13,116 ·
I've been using a PS3 but my son is taking the PS3 with him now. I have a HTPC that I can use for any streaming so really don't need streaming capabilities with my new player. I do want a player with 3D. It will connect to my Pioneer SC-35 and then on to my Panny VT30. I want a good quality player but I definitely don't want to waste money on frills I won't use.

After searching the forums I'm kind of leaning toward the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 right now.

Suggestions???

#13,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan /forum/post/21755734

I've been using a PS3 but my son is taking the PS3 with him now. I have a HTPC that I can use for any streaming so really don't need streaming capabilities with my new player. I do want a player with 3D. It will connect to my Pioneer SC-35 and then on to my Panny VT30. I want a good quality player but I definitely don't want to waste money on frills I won't use.

After searching the forums I'm kind of leaning toward the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 right now.

Suggestions???

If you stream NF, go with the newer 220.

S~

#13,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan /forum/post/21755957

I'm perfectly content streaming Netflix on my HTPC unless there's some advantage of doing it through a BR player I'm unaware of.

220/320 offer 1080p, DD+ 5.1 audio, and 24p.

S~