AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#9,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21745583

There is a known issue with video degradation when the setting is set to ON (see post #4 ). First try setting the setting to OFF, and if still no joy set the setting to OFF (although doing so will disable the GUI for that input). The setting would be unique for your particular TV.

Because it affects the video display when connected to some TVs.

See response to first post above.

it(i/p Scaler) was off....

EDIT: BUT Video Convert setting was to ON and that's what was causing it :-/

THX 4 your help man
Do you think theirs a fix coming?

#9,722 ·

well, yes, that would nice, but I loathe harmony, and all such remotes. Horribly expensive, and IR macros are too slow. Last harmony I had sucked at charging because logitec doesnt know how to manufacture things properly. In fact I still have it, but can't charge it.

I had the same problem with my Harmony One (actually both of them). Even though they were 4+ years old, I contacted Logitech and they immediately sent me TWO brand new ones. That's customer service!

#9,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer /forum/post/21745211

well, yes, that would nice, but I loathe harmony, and all such remotes. Horribly expensive, and IR macros are too slow. Last harmony I had sucked at charging because logitec doesnt know how to manufacture things properly. In fact I still have it, but can't charge it.

Anyway, back on topic, I am much more interested in Denon and its capability or lack thereof. Why output a blank signal? I'd rather have no output when there is no input. And is there a solution in settings rather than buying a remote that costs as much as an iPad?

I had a Denon logo appear when no input was going to a particular port but that went away. I'm not sure why but I think it was because I added hardware like digital inputs and component as well as composite cables. I have not found a way to get the logo back although this really isn't a big issue for me.

FYI; Harmony have come down in price starting at $50. with their nearly top of the line Harmony One I believe for $149.

#9,725 ·
I just bought a new Yamaha in Sept and I so regret it. Iv been a Denon fan since the arly 90's and I thought maybe it was time to give someone else a shot. I WAS WRONG.

I so miss the sound qyt of Denon. If I could sell my Yamaha I would but i doubt Ill get anywhere close to what I paid for it on ebay. I want the 2112 .
live and learn I guess.

#9,729 ·
EDIT: I am using Powerstrip (AWESOME APP) to force the right settings and at least I have proper 1080p but I am still getting the HDCP crap. This is absolutely mind blowingly ridiculous for a 600 dollar receiver. Things should not be this complicated for simple color spaces and HDCP recognition.

2112ci is telling me HDCP is not supported whenever I switch inputs and at other odd times. Sometimes it is supported but always the display is getting switched to lower resolution. It defaults to generic monitor with no PnP every time I switch inputs. I have the Denon hooking up a PS3 and my PC which is fully compliant and the PC is not working right. Every time I switch back to my PC input it defaults to generic monitor and even when I just start up the PC I get 1080p but it says not HDCP compliant at times. All I can think of is this receiver is the problem.

My whole system is totally HDCP compliant and everything meticulously maintained.

#9,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphos /forum/post/21673179

On Feb 20, I updated the firmware in my brand-new AVR-2112. I checked the version numbers before and after the update so I could see what had changed. For those interested in such things, here are the current rev numbers.

Code:
Code:
[B]Module             From factory     After update (20 Feb 2012)[/B]
Firmware           ver 0001         ver 0004   
Main               0078025          01150034
Main FBL           00.16            00.16
DSP                64.19            64.22
Audio PLD          06.02            06.04
OSD                49110018         49110022

Denon pushed new firmware to my 2112 last week. It took about 4 minutes to download. The version number is now 0005. The version number of the "Main" firmware module has changed from 01150034 to 01160035. It appears that no other modules were updated.

#9,732 ·
LOL those are not legitimate workarounds but all seems to be fine now.

I am on game 1 and 2 outlets and everything was as before and is working. I am NOT using Powerstrip atm and switching now suddenly works. I think this may be a problem with their HDMI outputs or something.

To say the least it has been confusing, time wasting, and has pissed me off considerably. Some games like PoP and Crysis also have problems with these newer TV's but I would have thought Denon knew about these various problems.

Anyway, I hope it all stays put now. I think I will suggest this to support just in case they can do anything about it in a firmware.

#9,733 ·
I'm getting the hang of this but was wondering about music playback. I have read your amazing guides religiously.

I have two klipsch wf-34 floorstanders. And a 10inch sub.

I saw you shouldn't use direct if u have small fronts because of bass mgmt and double bass, so I think I don't want that.

I'm in stereo mode and adjusted the bass accordingly (since -11db was way weak, set to +5, has a good kick). Question is if audyssey is on does it make a clearer "filtered " sound? I was thinking I should leave it off. Also audyssey set my front left to -2.5 should I 0 it out? Since its music.

#9,734 ·
Can someone clear up optimal headphone settings? Just plug it in and none of the speaker setup options like feet and distance will affect the sound right? I would think and hope so. But because it never blacked them out I just put them to .1 feet but I would think that is absurd a bit if that setting influences the sound?

My other problem is that I cannot get sound to play from just my TV (from the PC) when the headphones are out. Everything is working fine on the game inputs but I cannot get sound to the TV alone even though everything else works. My cables are all fine and I have one cable obviously running to the TV and Denon connects the PS3 and PC. I tested various 1.4 cables and none seem to work. It is not a HUGE deal but if no one has an answer I would like to report this to Denon and hope to get a firmware update.

Def. the Denon not doing something right or again may not be compatible for some reason with my TV which is beyond odd. This is a 2011 receiver and there is really no excuse for this.

HDMI audio out to TV option does not work. No idea why. Doesn't even change to anything else. Anybody get that option to work?

#9,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos /forum/post/21749189

Can someone clear up optimal headphone settings? Just plug it in and none of the speaker setup options like feet and distance will affect the sound right? I would think and hope so. But because it never blacked them out I just put them to .1 feet but I would think that is absurd a bit if that setting influences the sound?

My other problem is that I cannot get sound to play from just my TV (from the PC) when the headphones are out. Everything is working fine on the game inputs but I cannot get sound to the TV alone even though everything else works. My cables are all fine and I have one cable obviously running to the TV and Denon connects the PS3 and PC. I tested various 1.4 cables and none seem to work. It is not a HUGE deal but if no one has an answer I would like to report this to Denon and hope to get a firmware update.

Def. the Denon not doing something right or again may not be compatible for some reason with my TV which is beyond odd. This is a 2011 receiver and there is really no excuse for this.

HDMI audio out to TV option does not work. No idea why. Doesn't even change to anything else. Anybody get that option to work?

1.There was no reason to touch those setting. You should hit restore and get your original Settings back.

2.I just figured this out after nearly 2 yrs. that I needed to turn off Hdmi control to off before it switched to tv. When the amp is on I'm using my HT speakers and when not I am using the Standby Source.

#9,736 ·
Hello,

I recently got a 1712. Have it in a simple 5.1 setup with a PS3 as a source and connected to a TV (Pioneer) via HDMI.

I enabled HDMI standby pass-through, which works, but it seems to have some side effects.

With all the components in standby, no matter which order I turn them on, I get no audio (or a loud noise - like the hdmi audio to the TV is out of sync).
  • The video signal works fine. It "detects" the PS3 as being a stereo signal (shows up as multi when it is working).
  • If I switch input from PS3 to the internal FM radio tuner, there's still no sound (so it's not the PS3 being difficult).

The quick fix is to turn on & off the Denon from the remote. Simple & works 100%, but this is starting to annoy me. Is this a known problem? I tried to search, but "no audio" is not the best term for this.

It could be something wrong with my setup. This is my first AV receiver, so plenty of opportunity for user error.

Thanks,

Pehr

#9,737 ·
^

No it does not sound like user error. It's sounds like Hdmi handshake issues. There are several fixes you can try, like trying different ports on your avr, swap out your Hdmi cable or try a hdmi reset. Check out pg;1 12i for details.

This happens to me maybe ounce a month and I have to power on and off to fix like you.

Hdmi issues are known to all brands of avr's it's the nature of Hdmi when a repeater (avr) is put in the middle.

#9,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlin /forum/post/21752742

Hello,

I recently got a 1712. Have it in a simple 5.1 setup with a PS3 as a source and connected to a TV (Pioneer) via HDMI.

I enabled HDMI standby pass-through, which works, but it seems to have some side effects.

With all the components in standby, no matter which order I turn them on, I get no audio (or a loud noise - like the hdmi audio to the TV is out of sync).
  • The video signal works fine. It "detects" the PS3 as being a stereo signal (shows up as multi when it is working).
  • If I switch input from PS3 to the internal FM radio tuner, there's still no sound (so it's not the PS3 being difficult).

The quick fix is to turn on & off the Denon from the remote. Simple & works 100%, but this is starting to annoy me. Is this a known problem? I tried to search, but "no audio" is not the best term for this.

It could be something wrong with my setup. This is my first AV receiver, so plenty of opportunity for user error.

Thanks,

Pehr

Let's clarify a few things first ... (1) audio/video will only pass from an HDMI connected device through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby, and (2) only one HDMI source can be selected to pass through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby (as determined by the Standby Source being set to either a specific HDMI input or the "LAST" setting).

#9,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince /forum/post/21749073

I'm getting the hang of this but was wondering about music playback. I have read your amazing guides religiously.

I have two klipsch wf-34 floorstanders. And a 10inch sub.

I saw you shouldn't use direct if u have small fronts because of bass mgmt and double bass, so I think I don't want that.

I'm in stereo mode and adjusted the bass accordingly (since -11db was way weak, set to +5, has a good kick). Question is if audyssey is on does it make a clearer "filtered " sound? I was thinking I should leave it off. Also audyssey set my front left to -2.5 should I 0 it out? Since its music.

1. Generally no but try it and let your ears be the judge.

2. As far as setting it to +5 that's fine but I would suggest that you just raise it a few db and listen to it and get use to it, and then if you think you need more than adjust again a few db. Doing it this way will help you in the long run as you will not always have to adjust the bass.

3. Yes it will compensate for room correction and it will hone in your speakers for better bass. For music you could turn it off but you will loose the bass filters. Try it both ways and again let your ears be the judge.

#9,740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21752951

Let's clarify a few things first ... (1) only audio from an HDMI connected device will pass through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby, and (2) only one HDMI source can be selected to pass through to the TV when the AVR is in Standby (as determined by the Standby Source being set to either a specific HDMI input or the "LAST" setting).

Yes, the PS3 is connected to the Denon via HDMI and it passes audio/video signal without any problem to the TV when the Denon is in standby.

I set it up to pass-through a specific HDMI source (PS3/HDMI1).