AVS Forum banner
2M views 16K replies 959 participants last post by  kiwijunglist 
#1 ·

Due to limitations with forum software as of 5/01/12 I am moving the updated version of my guide over the my blog located at assassinhtpcblog.com . The guide at my blog will remain free and as time allows I will update my guide here when possible. Due to the size of my guide I am getting multiple timeouts which makes updating the guide incredibly time consuming and the forum software is very cumbersome for these guides. Thanks for the continued support.

Assassin's HTPC Buying Guide (Click Logo Below)

See less See more
#11,581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs /forum/post/21667762

I am interested in the lenovo n5902 rf keyboard and mouse with backlight but wonder about its range and factors that influence the range - can anybody comment on this who has used it over longer distances? I might need a range of up to 20 ft so I am wondering if this is a realistic goal.

I ordered it and it died after 5 weeks. Luckily amazon refunded the money and i am going to order something else, though i've not decided which yet.

#11,582 ·
Here are some photos of my first HTPC. It is in my home office. I put it together back in January and it has been running perfectly. Thanks to Assassin and everyone else for all the advice on this forum. Assassins guides were invaluable and saved hours in setting up the software.

The components in the HTPC are:

Case: Silverstone GD04

Processor: Intel i3-2105

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

Memory: 4GB (2x2) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

Power Supply: SeaSonic X series SS400FL Fanless / Modular

Optical Drive: Blu-ray ASUS BC-12B1ST

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB

Hard Drive: A spare 500GB SATA

TV Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV Quad-Tuner

The TV is a Sony Bravia 46" KDL46NX720.

Parts are on order for the bedroom HTPC.

#11,583 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3 /forum/post/21746763

Here are some photos of my first HTPC. It is in my home office. I put it together back in January and it has been running perfectly. Thanks to Assassin and everyone else for all the advice on this forum. Assassins guides were invaluable and saved hours in setting up the software.

The components in the HTPC are:

Case: Silverstone GD04

Processor: Intel i3-2105

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

Memory: 4GB (2x2) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

Power Supply: SeaSonic X series SS400FL Fanless / Modular

Optical Drive: Blu-ray ASUS BC-12B1ST

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB

Hard Drive: A spare 500GB SATA

TV Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV Quad-Tuner

The TV is a Sony Bravia 46" KDL46NX720.

Parts are on order for the bedroom HTPC.

How do you like the Asus optical drive? I have one coming (today I believe)

#11,584 ·
I've had my HTPC since December and I kept having a lot of problems with it not being able to open up my video files. Basically it said the drivers were missing and to restart the PC or Windows Media Center. I posted this on another thread to help others but this may be of use to others here too:

I've had my Ceton tuner since Dec 2011 and every once in a while I would have problems with it when I use Windows Media Center. Basically it either said that WMC couldn't open the video files or there were no tuners available. The last time it went down for 2 days and I got really frustrated and was about to go back to my Cable Co's DVR. But then I decided to buy a new GeForce GT430 and use that instead of the on board video from my Intel i5 2500K processor. That fixed the problem! It was the video drivers that were messing up everything. And yes, I did try to update the drivers for the Intel video but it said my drivers were up to date. So those of you who have problems, you may want to try a discrete video card instead of using the on board video. It was such a headache trying to fix this problem and now everything works perfectly. It was worth the $70 for the video card. HTH.

#11,585 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner97 /forum/post/21747309

I've had my HTPC since December and I kept having a lot of problems with it not being able to open up my video files. Basically it said the drivers were missing and to restart the PC or Windows Media Center. I posted this on another thread to help others but this may be of use to others here too:

I've had my Ceton tuner since Dec 2011 and every once in a while I would have problems with it when I use Windows Media Center. Basically it either said that WMC couldn't open the video files or there were no tuners available. The last time it went down for 2 days and I got really frustrated and was about to go back to my Cable Co's DVR. But then I decided to buy a new GeForce GT430 and use that instead of the on board video from my Intel i5 2500K processor. That fixed the problem! It was the video drivers that were messing up everything. And yes, I did try to update the drivers for the Intel video but it said my drivers were up to date. So those of you who have problems, you may want to try a discrete video card instead of using the on board video. It was such a headache trying to fix this problem and now everything works perfectly. It was worth the $70 for the video card. HTH.

That's a new one on me. Did you allow windows to autoupdate your display drivers? Strange that it would work and then suddenly quit working.

#11,586 ·
I leave my HTPC on full-time for fast media access. When I use my Harmony One to start my receiver and monitor, I usually get the WMC application I selected. However, sometimes all I get is a dark screen that requires a HTPC hard reset. Or sometimes I get a window that informs me that WMC crashed and needs to be restarted. I get these problems about once in ten starts. Does anyone know what the problem is, or how I can figure out what the problem is?

I think I recall reading about this problem earlier, but can't find it. My Win7 power settings are set for always on. Thanks for your help.

#11,587 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21743838

What about other files? What about the more reliable file that I posted in the first part of that guide?

Also make sure that under Sound you have HD audio listed as a supported format.

This is an example. Ignore the top part but under supported formats you should have all the HD Audio listed...

well i downloaded your file + a few off that demo trailers website.

I DONT have HD audio listed under the supported audio formats.

In the manual for my receiver it says under Supported audio formats:

'Bitstream (DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD) etc..etc...

And as i say - when I play your file, it comes up on the receiver 'DTS HD MASTER'.

But the video barely manages to play. As soon as i switch off the LAV external filter, the receiver detects DTS only, and plays the file perfectly.

What am i doing wrong? is there something i need to activate in windows for it to recognise the HD audio supported formats of my receiver?

or is it a dodgy receiver?

#11,588 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack /forum/post/21747683

I leave my HTPC on full-time for fast media access. When I use my Harmony One to start my receiver and monitor, I usually get the WMC application I selected. However, sometimes all I get is a dark screen that requires a HTPC hard reset. Or sometimes I get a window that informs me that WMC crashed and needs to be restarted. I get these problems about once in ten starts. Does anyone know what the problem is, or how I can figure out what the problem is?

I think I recall reading about this problem earlier, but can't find it. My Win7 power settings are set for always on. Thanks for your help.

Likely a HDMI detection issue. With some receivers and HTPC you have to power on particular components in a certain order. You will have to see if you can tell which on of these doesn't like to be turned on first, last, etc.

Or there is the HDMI detective which will trick your receiver into thinking the HTPC is always on. But they are about $90.

#11,589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss /forum/post/21747730

well i downloaded your file + a few off that demo trailers website.

I DONT have HD audio listed under the supported audio formats.

In the manual for my receiver it says under Supported audio formats:

'Bitstream (DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD) etc..etc...

And as i say - when I play your file, it comes up on the receiver 'DTS HD MASTER'.

But the video barely manages to play. As soon as i switch off the LAV external filter, the receiver detects DTS only, and plays the file perfectly.

What am i doing wrong? is there something i need to activate in windows for it to recognise the HD audio supported formats of my receiver?

or is it a dodgy receiver?

If I remember correctly a few people have needed to update their bios and/or change drivers to get the HD Audio formats to show as supported.

#11,590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21747748

Likely a HDMI detection issue. With some receivers and HTPC you have to power on particular components in a certain order. You will have to see if you can tell which on of these doesn't like to be turned on first, last, etc.

Or there is the HDMI detective which will trick your receiver into thinking the HTPC is always on. But they are about $90.

Yes, I found by trail and error that my receiver needs to power on last in the Harmony cue to to get a picture on the monitor. It usually works fine. If this remains the intermittent problem, could I diagnose it by manually turning on the monitor, wait 5 seconds, then turn on the receiver?

#11,591 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack /forum/post/21747816

Yes, I found by trail and error that my receiver needs to power on last in the Harmony cue to to get a picture on the monitor. It usually works fine. If this remains the intermittent problem, could I diagnose it by manually turning on the monitor, wait 5 seconds, then turn on the receiver?

Sometimes if you hit "Help" on the One and then follow its onscreen instructions on the remote control it can resend the signal.

Otherwise you can try to change the way or order things turn on. Or try the HDMI detective.

#11,592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21747755

If I remember correctly a few people have needed to update their bios and/or change drivers to get the HD Audio formats to show as supported.

everythings up to date. im just installing the latest realtek driver now, see if that makes any difference. the intel graphics drivers are up to date, as is everything else (windows updates etc)

if not it must be the amp then...

does it sound to you like a technical issue with the amp, more than anything?

dts, dolby, video plays fine. dts hd, dolby hd....receiver gets it and decodes it. but video virtually grinds to a halt and plays 5 frames at a time.

its as if the receiver can't cope - having to decode the HDaudio + display the video.

#11,593 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss /forum/post/21747925

everythings up to date. im just installing the latest realtek driver now, see if that makes any difference. the intel graphics drivers are up to date, as is everything else (windows updates etc)

if not it must be the amp then...

does it sound to you like a technical issue with the amp, more than anything?

dts, dolby, video plays fine. dts hd, dolby hd....receiver gets it and decodes it. but video virtually grinds to a halt and plays 5 frames at a time.

its as if the receiver can't cope - having to decode the HDaudio + display the video.

Do you have the right driver for it? That just might do the trick.

BTW, you never mention what AVR you have. Does it decode HD Audio? Has it for other devices such as a stand alone blu-ray player?

#11,596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack /forum/post/21747816

You won't have to do this manually. You can put delays on the individual components when programming the Harmony Remotes in each activity. I have a delay on my TV between powering on and changing the input so it catches all the commands.

#11,597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18 /forum/post/21748064

You won't have to do this manually. You can put delays on the individual components when programming the Harmony Remotes in each activity. I have a delay on my TV between powering on and changing the input so it catches all the commands.

Agreed. That's what I meant by the "way that things turn on". I should have been more specific.

#11,598 ·
I hate to interupt our regularly scheduled program but....

Does anyone have an answer to my question ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21746410

Question on MPC-HC speed up and slow down keys..

Do these only adjust the video frame rate or is it both video and audio?

The reason I ask is because it seems that sometimes the two get out of sync. It was especially bad last night with my rip of J. Edgar. Maybe it was a bad rip, but I had to keep stopping the movie to adjust the audio offset. By the end of the movie I had it at 8000ms!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.