AVS Forum banner

Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

472K views 3K replies 308 participants last post by  Al Sole 
#1 ·
Welcome to the Official Sony Bravia KDL-HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820)

This is the place to share information, questions and settings about the Bravia KDL-xxHX820 series

I have had my 55HX820 for almost a month now and am very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from a 5 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 so the jump from that to a new Sony was bound to impress.

No one else had started a official thread on this model yet so I thought I would get things started.

See less See more
#2,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21754337

Oh man, "If it makes the black areas blacker then that is black crush." What are you trying to say?

Under the option for black corrector it gives what I said... "Enhance the black in image for stronger contrast" I thought you needed help in understanding what it does... It crushes blacks when YOU crush blacks... if setup right you wont have barely any crush details... But horses are for courses right

Ok, you clearly have no understanding of black crush or any of the picture options.

If you think reading the blurb Sony puts by a setting is enough to get a realistic understanding of the affect a setting has then you are being just plain naive. I actually wanted you to provide some evidence of its affect rather than quote me the blurb but there you go.

Aaron

#2,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/21755598

Ok, you clearly have no understanding of black crush or any of the picture options.

If you think reading the blurb Sony puts by a setting is enough to get a realistic understanding of the affect a setting has then you are being just plain naive. I actually wanted you to provide some evidence of its affect rather than quote me the blurb but there you go.

Aaron

Haha bro, PM if you want to complain about something that wont help anybody else on here. I gave my opinion, someonelse agreed with me, than you said we dont know what we are talking about. People come on here for opinions and answers. BTW, BLACK CRUSH sounds like a new Mountain Dew drink. Horses are for courses Aaron?!

#2,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21756014

Haha bro, PM if you want to complain about something that wont help anybody else on here. I gave my opinion, someonelse agreed with me, than you said we dont know what we are talking about. People come on here for opinions and answers. BTW, BLACK CRUSH sounds like a new Mountain Dew drink. Horses are for courses Aaron?!

Stopping the spread of misinformation will help others here.

I am sorry but you have provided no viable evidence to support your claims. In fact and i quote.

Quote:
if setup right you wont have barely any crush details

Barely any? That is some detail being crushed right?

Then why are you arguing?

I am getting pretty tired of people arguing with me when they have no argument.

All you have to say is "I know if set up properly by a professional this setting wont be on, but i actually like the affect it provides".

I am done, feel like i am shedding brain cells here....

#2,111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr /forum/post/21756766

what exactly does crushing blacks mean anyways? Sorry to ask..

When the black objects on the panel are so dark you can no longer see the detail within those objects( a loss of shadow detail)--like not being able to see the folds in a black robe . Crushed blacks make a black object look like a black blob.

#2,112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/21756792

When the black objects on the panel are so dark you can no longer see the detail within those objects( a loss of shadow detail)--like not being able to see the folds in a black robe . Crushed blacks make a black object look like a black blob.

Thanks LBJ, that's what I thought it meant, but I wasn't sure..

#2,113 ·
Recently purchased, a new 46hx820 from frys for $999 and found the tv to be very pleasing to the eye, great picture quality and features. I've been reading the forums and found great tips and info from calibration settings to troubleshooting. The only thing that concerned me is that I might have the same problem with Kman65 pg4 with post #118. I have the issue with many faint grey scale horizontal bars running throughout the screen, this will only show if I'm watching a scene that pans left or right from any broadcast from hd materials to bd movies also for example a blank white or solid light color background you will notice faint horizontal grey scales throughout the screen. I don't have the dreaded crease or major flashlight maybe one on the bottom right corner but not a concern or clouding, Its not a problem at first but now is more noticable. I had this TV for a month and a half and would like to get feed back on this issue, its running hmdi calbes with a sony bd player ps3 slim and sony htct-350 soundar. Does my 46hx820 qualify for a defect?

Thanks,

#2,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr /forum/post/21756927

Thanks LBJ, that's what I thought it meant, but I wasn't sure..

As LBJ2 said,

It is worth noting that some films, tv shows etc can exhibit black crush, which is why it is worth using a decent test disk with test patterns to set up brightness etc correctly so you know it is not your tv at fault.

#2,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr /forum/post/21756612

Stopping the spread of misinformation will help others here.

I am sorry but you have provided no viable evidence to support your claims. In fact and i quote.

Barely any? That is some detail being crushed right?

Then why are you arguing?

I am getting pretty tired of people arguing with me when they have no argument.

All you have to say is "I know if set up properly by a professional this setting wont be on, but i actually like the affect it provides".

I am done, feel like i am shedding brain cells here....

God you sound like a baby.. Dont insult people because they like things you dont? What argument should I come forward with when you disagree with what I like? Black Corrector is a great option on here, when used right gives not just deeper blacks but deeper colors also.. I said this before and now again, people here agree with that but you want to whine and cry about not having "evidence" to support us liking an option?

There is always going to be crushed detail on a tv, if someone can claim they set their tv perfect with no trace of any picture problem then tv companies would never have to make new technology.. Just relax, thats my only advice to you..

#2,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ /forum/post/21757109

God you sound like a baby.. Dont insult people because they like things you dont? What argument should I come forward with when you disagree with what I like? Black Corrector is a great option on here, when used right gives not just deeper blacks but deeper colors also.. I said this before and now again, people here agree with that but you want to whine and cry about not having "evidence" to support us liking an option?

There is always going to be crushed detail on a tv, if someone can claim they set their tv perfect with no trace of any picture problem then tv companies would never have to make new technology.. Just relax, thats my only advice to you..

Yeah your the one calling me a baby....

#2,120 ·
Well, I've now spent two days and nights with my HX820 and I'm putting this out there, it practically rivals my 60" Kuro for overall picture quality, particularly in HD/BR. The kuro blacks are a little better, whereas the whites on the HX820 top the kuro easily.

The HX vs the Kuro highlights how far LED panels have come since I looked at the a few years ago. If they made. 65" HX820 I'd happily replace my Kuro with one tomorrow.

Overall I am insanely happy with the HX820. So glad I took some time to give LCD/LED a chance instead of merely snubbing it for another plamsa.

#2,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 /forum/post/21758144

Well, I've now spent two days and nights with my HX820 and I'm putting this out there, it practically rivals my 60" Kuro for overall picture quality, particularly in HD/BR. The kuro blacks are a little better, whereas the whites on the HX820 top the kuro easily.

The HX vs the Kuro highlights how far LED panels have come since I looked at the a few years ago. If they made. 65" HX820 I'd happily replace my Kuro with one tomorrow.

Overall I am insanely happy with the HX820. So glad I took some time to give LCD/LED a chance instead of merely snubbing it for another plamsa.

Watch out what options you say you use on this forum, you have the ss picture police on the hound.

I agree with the HD and blue ray, its like watching movies all over again. How many times my gf has said I didnt notice that before or gasps @the detail with this set says a lot.

#2,122 ·
I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off

2. Display

3. 5

4. Volume +

5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1

2. 2

3. 0

4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump

2. Muting

3. 0

4. Then power off

5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.

#2,123 ·
Does anyone have the settings that will enable the so called Soap Opera effect ?

I have to turn the cinema option to auto2 or off to prevent jittering ... When I turn it to off or auto2, even the SMOOTH setting in the motion flow menu wont enable the super-smooth effect that most people describe. I just want to see what it looks like.

I can see it on Auto1 with smooth selected but as I said, auto1 is jittery... Maybe because I'm in a PAL region ?

#2,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 /forum/post/21762987

Does anyone have the settings that will enable the so called Soap Opera effect ?

I have to turn the cinema option to auto2 or off to prevent jittering ... When I turn it to off or auto2, even the SMOOTH setting in the motion flow menu wont enable the super-smooth effect that most people describe. I just want to see what it looks like.

I can see it on Auto1 with smooth selected but as I said, auto1 is jittery... Maybe because I'm in a PAL region ?

You arent missing much, your best bet would be smooth like you have.. The soap opera effect is when everythink looks a little too lively, hard to explain.. I really havent had any issues with that on this tv, I have an old Vizio 46" that gets it bad when I put on 240HZ.

Too me, auto1 and auto2 dont really do anything... Im also a standard or clear guy with the motionflow, best luck with standard

#2,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 /forum/post/21762987

If i put motion flow to Standard and Film mode/ cine motion (not sure what its called over here) to Auto 1 i get very obvious soap opera effect on my set.

Aaron

#2,126 ·
I've been trying to find good settings for weeks and i think that i've finally found them. This Omar's message from HX800 calibration thread was very helpful. Im actually using those same settings now and they seem to work great in HX820 too. Colors are very rich and my blu-rays finally look like they should. I only changed motionflow to 'standard' because 'smooth' was a bit too laggy for my taste.

For PC i changed the scene to "Graphics", set my HD5450 pixel format to 'RBG Limited' (+refesh rate to 50) and changed my HX820 HDMI Dynamic range to 'Limited'. Not sure if i'm doing everything right, but this seems to provide the best picture for .mkv movies and XBMC. Picture is not too dark or not too white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.