AVS Forum banner

Empire of the Sun: 25th Anniversary Edition

5K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Miles 
#1 ·

Quote:
The China Odyssey: Empire of the Sun behind-the-scenes documentary

Warner at War documentary about Warner Bros' WWII propaganda department

The disc also comes packaged in a collectible 36-page digibook with "rare images, cast bios, facts about the film, essays, and more."

No making of stuff?? what a joke

June 19th

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze /forum/post/21779227

The VHS was 1.33:1

The laserdisc was 1.66:1

The DVD was 1.78:1

We're getting closer... hope this is 1.85:1, but not holding my breath considering THE COLOR PURPLE blu-ray (from Spielberg + Warner) is 1.78:1.

It's Warner Bros. policy to open the mattes on all 1.85:1 movies up to 1.78:1. Paramount has the same policy.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/21779504

Shame he never stopped acting like a kid, I think he was good but it was the supporting cast that made the movie.

Also as he starts at the camp, he is the dentition of smarm and arrogance.

That is the point and the journey he makes as he grows up.

I'm talking about how Spielberg tends to put in child actors who act with the sophistication of a 30 year old and are there to make the adults look stupid ie: the Dakota Fannings, that asian kid in Temple of Doom, the Jurrassic Park movies. Bale's smarminess was a result of his privileged upbringing and wasn't that fake smart alecky crap that Spielberg loves to put in there as comic relief.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan /forum/post/21783730

I'm talking about how Spielberg tends to put in child actors who act with the sophistication of a 30 year old and are there to make the adults look stupid ie: the Dakota Fannings, that asian kid in Temple of Doom, the Jurrassic Park movies. Bale's smarminess was a result of his privileged upbringing and wasn't that fake smart alecky crap that Spielberg loves to put in there as comic relief.

The problem is, that seems to be a growing trend - especially on TV. Every kid seems to be sophisticated and sassy with a bunch of one liners, followed up with a puppy-eyed "did I do that" punch line.

As a kid, I would have been tossed through a wall if I talked to my parents the same way kids on TV and in movies do.

#32 ·
It's not a recent trend. Cutesy, too-adult kids have been in movies since before Shirley Temple and Margaret O'Brien.

What Spielberg should get kudos for is Henry Thomas (and the other child actors) in E.T., who were the first kids I remember seeing in a movie that looked and sounded like real kids.

I'm personally more ambivalent about Bale's character in Empire of the Sun. I think the script soft-pedaled some of the real creepiness in the Malkovich character, and that made Bale's admiration of him much less problematic. But I still think Bale did a phenomenal job with what he was given, and I'm a fan of the movie generally.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by networktv /forum/post/21793438

the problem is, that seems to be a growing trend - especially on tv. Every kid seems to be sophisticated and sassy with a bunch of one liners, followed up with a puppy-eyed "did i do that" punch line.

As a kid, i would have been tossed through a wall if i talked to my parents the same way kids on tv and in movies do.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by penman /forum/post/21794416

what spielberg should get kudos for is henry thomas (and the other child actors) in e.t., who were the first kids i remember seeing in a movie that looked and sounded like real kids.

+2

#34 ·
This title seems to be back in play after a long delay. I've had it pre-ordered since June, and just got a delivery date estimate for "September 25th-October 2nd" (with free super-saver shipping). And when I look it up on Amazon, it doesn't say "pre-order"... it appears to be available right now. Crazy that this title could just slip out under the radar!

EDIT: Argh; appears to have been an Amazon glitch. Now it says it's not available to order, and my own delivery date estimate has been revised again. Seemed too good to be true.

#40 ·
For anyone in the UK, HMV have this online for only 6 UK pounds!

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott  /t/1399560/empire-of-the-sun-25th-anniversary-edition/30#post_22547349

For anyone in the UK, HMV have this online for only 6 UK pounds!

And Amazon.uk has the region free version for $21 including shipping to US, versus $34 directly from Amazon US. Even with the delay due to shipping by post, I should get my BD from the UK before or about the same time as those who ordered from Amazon in the US, and for $13 less.

I call this "Amazon arbitrage." Crazy that it exists at all, but it does.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV  /t/1399560/empire-of-the-sun-25th-anniversary-edition/30#post_21793438

The problem is, that seems to be a growing trend - especially on TV. Every kid seems to be sophisticated and sassy with a bunch of one liners, followed up with a puppy-eyed "did I do that" punch line.

As a kid, I would have been tossed through a wall if I talked to my parents the same way kids on TV and in movies do.

Ugh, it took me a while to associate my kid's sassy back talk with her consumption of those godawful Disney and Nickolodeon shows. When I figured it out, I blocked those channels. Took a couple weeks but the back talk slowly diminished. And just to make sure I wasn't imagining things I let her watch them again a few months later, and the back talk returned.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007  /t/1399560/empire-of-the-sun-25th-anniversary-edition/30#post_22571202

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=part&x=360&y=299&action=1&image=9&cID=1354&cap1=15992&cap2=16004&lossless=1#vergleich

Thanks for these. Very excited! As with E.T. and THE COLOR PURPLE, I'm astounded how faithful the Warner releases are to their DVD editions: exact same color palette, exact same gamma and shadow detail... but a huge upgrade in resolution and "film-look". I love it when blu-ray releases can leap up in quality without completely changing the way the movie "feels" (cough cough... "RAIDERS"... cough cough)

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze  /t/1399560/empire-of-the-sun-25th-anniversary-edition/30#post_22571817

Thanks for these. Very excited! As with E.T. and THE COLOR PURPLE, I'm astounded how faithful the Warner releases are to their DVD editions: exact same color palette, exact same gamma and shadow detail... but a huge upgrade in resolution and "film-look". I love it when blu-ray releases can leap up in quality without completely changing the way the movie "feels" (cough cough... "RAIDERS"... cough cough)
I'm more concerned with how faithful the blu-rays are to the theatrical color timing than the DVD. Many DVDs are way off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.