AVS Forum banner

Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU

40K views 325 replies 52 participants last post by  dochsale 
#1 ·
Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU: How it Works

The process to convert previously-purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to digital copies is quick and simple:

Bring your movie collections from the participating studio partners - Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Bros. - to your local Walmart Photo Center.

A Walmart associate will help you create a free VUDU account.

Tell the associate how you'd like your movies converted:

◦Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,

◦Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.

Walmart will authorize the digital copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and you get to keep your physical discs.

Log onto VUDU.com from more than 300 Internet-connected devices to view movies any time, any place.

Walmart Entertainment supports UltraViolet, the movie industry's initiative currently in its beta phase that allows consumers to put their purchased movies into a cloud-based digital library and keep track of them safely and securely. Walmart is able to offer customers the ability to watch and purchase UltraViolet-enabled titles directly from VUDU.

Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10824.aspx

Video Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/10835.aspx

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/21782893

Are they going to actually deface the disc itself with some sort of sticker, or some other sort of visual mark?

On another forum, I read that the discs will somehow be stamped to prevent being redeemed again. Whether this is accurate, and what sort of stamp it would be, I'm not sure.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21783224

On another forum, I read that the discs will somehow be stamped to prevent being redeemed again. Whether this is accurate, and what sort of stamp it would be, I'm not sure.

if they try to put anything on my discs then I won't be using the service. I have CDs from 1985 that are in Pristine condition. I certainly don't want any thing on my BD titles.

#29 ·
Yeah, I can understand why they're doing it, but I don't want the discs stamped, either.

I prefer to own my stuff on disc. Rental streaming, though, is a-ok with me.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21783524

if they try to put anything on my discs then I won't be using the service. I have CDs from 1985 that are in Pristine condition. I certainly don't want any thing on my BD titles.

That's why I'm curious as to how this works, in detail. I just can't see people accepting some sort of defacement of their property.

I haven't read all the threads, or all the PR statements, but when does this service actually become available? While I never shop at Wal-mart, I may have to give this a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21783813

I don't see it any differently than a serial equipment on a piece of hardware. Or perhaps a stamp in your passport.

Well, a passport, while it can be used as an ID, is designed to stamped, otherwise it's rather pointless to even have one. A DVD or Blu-ray disc is not a piece of hardware, it's function depends on it's physical condition being sound.

I'm sure there are people who won't care, but I'd rather not have some identifying mark put on my 1996 Warner Home Video release of Blade Runner.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0

That's why I'm curious as to how this works, in detail. I just can't see people accepting some sort of defacement of their property.

I haven't read all the threads, or all the PR statements, but when does this service actually become available? While I never shop at Wal-mart, I may have to give this a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

April 16th according to the PR

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21784161

I understand. You love the disc more than watching the movie.
I was kidding about the passport but I'm sure whatever they do won't stop the disc from working. Hence there is no reason to worry about such.

I'm some what surprised they aren't working from the other end. When you purchase the title they ask would you like to license online playback? Perhaps they worry the response would be keep the disc license I only want the online license for $2.

Yeah, we just don't know enough details yet, April 16th we'll need a canary to see exactly how it works.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21784161

I understand. You love the disc more than watching the movie.
I was kidding about the passport but I'm sure whatever they do won't stop the disc from working. Hence there is no reason to worry about such.

I'm some what surprised they aren't working from the other end. When you purchase the title they ask would you like to license online playback? Perhaps they worry the response would be keep the disc license I only want the online license for $2.

What are your thoughts on the fact that Walmart has entered into an agreement with studios. That for a perdiem fee that is shared amongst Walmart and the studios, enables an end user for additional monies, to do what most of us have complained about the grey area before of (and using the PR release from VUDU) "while preserving the investments they've made in disc purchases over the years" (backup) and "movies they already own on a variety of new devices" (playback on electronics for a myriad of reasons can't have a DVD drive).

Both of those excerpts point to a bit of a warped sensed of perspective prior to the model that nets them additional revenue after the initial sale of the disc. The irony being that they now all the sudden 'realize' what legions of people have been saying all along only after they figured out a way to get their hand in the stream again.

Does this mean K-Scape, Real Networks, SlySoft and others can come in out of the cold if they only ink a deal with studios? Is Walmart the only one that can reasonably ensure "while preserving the investments they've made in disc purchases over the years" and "movies they already own on a variety of new devices".

Are end users or other enterprising companies allowed to provide the same service of portability and protection? Will another company be allowed to come along and offer $1.75 a DVD/BR or $1.50?

In the light of injunctions against k-Scape and Real Networks pretty much wanting to offer some of the same convenience and protections it does smack of collusion.

#36 ·
My guess is they will require the case so they can verify that you own it instead of a rental, they might remove the UPC code or put a stamp on it. I'm sure the studios will require some sort of verification while Walmart doesn't care, they just want more potential shoppers in their stores. The kiosks will be in the photo center in the back of the store, sort of like the dairy section is always in the back of grocery stores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnbGeskq7U

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/21784571

What are your thoughts on the fact that Walmart has entered into an agreement with studios. That for a perdiem fee that is shared amongst Walmart and the studios, enables an end user for additional monies, to do what most of us have complained about the grey area before of (and using the PR release from VUDU) "while preserving the investments they've made in disc purchases over the years" (backup) and "movies they already own on a variety of new devices" (playback on electronics for a myriad of reasons can't have a DVD drive).

Both of those excerpts point to a bit of a warped sensed of perspective prior to the model that nets them additional revenue after the initial sale of the disc. The irony being that they now all the sudden 'realize' what legions of people have been saying all along only after they figured out a way to get their hand in the stream again.

Does this mean K-Scape, Real Networks, SlySoft and others can come in out of the cold if they only ink a deal with studios? Is Walmart the only one that can reasonably ensure "while preserving the investments they've made in disc purchases over the years" and "movies they already own on a variety of new devices".

Are end users or other enterprising companies allowed to provide the same service of portability and protection? Will another company be allowed to come along and offer $1.75 a DVD/BR or $1.50?

In the light of injunctions against k-Scape and Real Networks pretty much wanting to offer some of the same convenience and protections it does smack of collusion.
perdiem fee http://www.thefreedictionary.com/per+diem They charge you daily?

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21784725

I think DMCA (and other related issues) have been covered ad nauseam in thousands of threads and see no reason why this thread should suffer the same misdirection. I see it as a gimmick... such as an excuse to sell you an online copy for $2.00. No different than selling you a $14.95 copy or whatever VUDU currently charges.

The difference here being they're charging you again for content you already own. That would be different from just purchasing a film, that you presumably already don't have, from Vudu.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21785215

I don't see it that way (at all). You don't own the content rather a license... one never purchases content. If you pay to view it in the theater you don't own it. And again since it's been done ad nauseam that's it for me.

I get that you don't "own it, but in reality, you can do what ever you want with it as far as personal viewing goes.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21785215

I don't see it that way (at all). You don't own the content rather a license... one never purchases content. If you pay to view it in the theater you don't own it. And again since it's been done ad nauseam that's it for me.

Actually you do own it. You absolutely own that copy within the bounds of copyright. Just like you own your car (break too many traffic laws and see if you get to still drive it) Just like you own your own house (don't pay property taxes and see how long you live there). Ownership as an absolute doesn't really exist for the vast majority of things.

You are not licensed a copy. When you purchase a DVD or BR you never agree to a EULA or any other form of license. The only thing that creates boundaries that you are not allowed to cross are those of law.

If you pay for a ticket that is an agreement for one time viewing. When you purchase a DVD (I use that word expressly) you own that copy. Allowed to use that copy in the confines of law. Not contract nor license with a Studio.

Ticket prices, concession prices, typically mediocre PQ and SQ, are all reasons I don't give the model my $$ and purchase DVD or BR instead.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21783524

Guess you won't be using the service then:

Quote:
Nagelson said Walmart is taking a low-tech approach to allay studios' concerns about piracy. Walmart employees will examine discs to ensure they're not rentals, and will ink-stamp the center ring of each DVD they convert, to make sure customers don't share discs with friends, creating $2 copies of movies.
http://www.my9tv.com/dpp/money/Walma...rvice_20120313

So Walmart will give you a digital copy of your bluray that is less than bluray quality AND put a blemish on your disc all for $2. Sounds like a deal...

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 /forum/post/21786173

Guess you won't be using the service then:

http://www.my9tv.com/dpp/money/Walma...rvice_20120313

So Walmart will give you a digital copy of your bluray that is less than bluray quality AND put a blemish on your disc all for $2. Sounds like a deal...

I'll be using BDs. So maybe they will only do it with DVDs like they say in the article. I'll have to see what it looks like.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21786272

I'll be using BDs. So maybe they will only do it with DVDs like they say in the article. I'll have to see what it looks like.

They will mark all discs. The article mentioned DVDs just because it is the generic term. They need to ensure the disc wasn't previously redeemed, regardless of format. If it is a disc, you can bet it gets a stamp.

Quote:
Photo center employees at Walmart will be responsible for taking your discs and adding digital copies to Vudu accounts, and will stamp the disc when it's done so as not to allow multiple copies of a movie. Rented DVDs won't be accepted.

Oh, and selection will be limited, not all movies will have a Vudu/UV version:

Quote:
Some movies won't be able to convert, as many studios don't have digital copies of their films yet, so your shelves might not be so bare all at once.
http://consumerist.com/2012/03/walma...ies-for-2.html

Directly from the Vudu page:
Quote:
*The VUDU service requires a broadband internet connection of at least 2 Mbps. Customers must be 13 years of age or older to open a VUDU account.

Movies are only available in the U.S. and not all films are available for disc to cloud storage. HD/HDX is not available on all devices or films.
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

Some movies might not be available at all, some only in SD, some in HD, and some in HDX.

My question is - suppose you take in a bluray only to find out that movie isn't digitally available in HD. They still want $2 to get a SD version even though I am using an HD disc? So basically I'd be paying the $2 solely for portability but not "equal" resolution. I'd be a loser with respect to the resolution, going from HD down to SD.

#44 ·
I hate that generic term then. A BD has more in common with a CD than it does with a DVD.

I would think one would want to check to see if the title is available in HDX before taking them to Walmart.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/21784918

The difference here being they're charging you again for content you already own. That would be different from just purchasing a film, that you presumably already don't have, from Vudu.

If you own a movie on DVD, does that give you a right to a free Blu-ray copy too? Of course not. You have to pay again to get the higher quality Blu-ray copy. Likewise, you'll have to pay again if you want a streaming copy.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/21785901

You are not licensed a copy.

It is a license and it's considered a license in court and in the lawbooks, and in practice it works exactly like a license. It's just that the license for that copy is unlimited and unrestricted for personal viewing purposes. That's why there is no EULA, because copyright law already covers the licensing issues. The content itself is owned by the copyright holder.

If it wasn't considered a license, there would be absolutely no restrictions on copying and redistributing it. But there are.

We may be arguing semantics, but if you talk to a copyright lawyer, they'll tell you the same thing.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/21786503

We may be arguing semantics, but if you talk to a copyright lawyer, they'll tell you the same thing.

We probably are talking semantics. I view the purchase of a DVD, and the subsequent personal use allowance a matter of US law. Not an agreement between me and the Studio.

I don't intend to go outside those boundaries. I just think the circumvention question regarding DRM for making a copy of legally obtained media needs to be cleared up for Joe consumer.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it ironic that Walmart is allowed to do what technically competent others like K-Scape and Real Networks are not. The only difference being the greasing of palms.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21786401

If you own a movie on DVD, does that give you a right to a free Blu-ray copy too? Of course not. You have to pay again to get the higher quality Blu-ray copy. Likewise, you'll have to pay again if you want a streaming copy.

Not entirely accurate. The streaming copy is/should be technically a format shifted sameness of the original purchase. The inability to stream from a DVD is simply a technical shortcoming of the format given today's technologies.

It shouldn't matter if my Pepsi comes in a mug, a glass, a ziploc bag. Now if I paid one price for Pepsi but wanted the Pepsi with double the caffeine that is another matter entirely.

I have made very few repurchases of titles I already own in BR vs DVD. Most aren't worth the extra expense IMO but some are.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/21786585

We probably are talking semantics. I view the purchase of a DVD, and the subsequent personal use allowance a matter of US law. Not an agreement between me and the Studio.

The studio is a party to it, though, as is any "purchase" of any copyrighted material for your personal use. If you break the copyright law, remuneration goes to the studio through civil means. That's the same as any other licensing issue.

It's the same thing as buying a book. You're purchasing an unlimited license to view that book. You're not allowed to photocopy that book and redistribute it to anyone you please. It's not spelled out in an EULA, but that doesn't mean it isn't a license. And regardless of whether you call it one or not, it's treated the exact same way.

It's the reason why copying to a personal device is considered "unauthorized." You didn't give notice to the studio you were going to do so, so while it falls under fair use (and therefore legal), it's not an officially recognized authorized copy. Again, that's another licensing issue. So buying a DVD is considered buying the unlimited viewing license to the material, as opposed to buying the content itself (which you could do if you had enough money) and buying the copyright along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/21786585

I just think the circumvention question regarding DRM for making a copy of legally obtained media needs to be cleared up for Joe consumer.

I agree wholeheartedly, and viewing it as a license IS the way to clear it up for Joe.

BTW, I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I deal with copyright issues every day as part of my job, and am in constant contact with lawyers, both in house and outside. I also deal with copyright issues with a local performance art group. It's an issue I'm very familiar with on multiple levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/21786623

It shouldn't matter if my Pepsi comes in a mug, a glass, a ziploc bag.

That's not the same thing, though, as Pepsi is considered a "consumable." The act of using Pepsi for its intended purpose (drinking) uses it up. DVDs/streaming are not consumables.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/21786401

I like this point. For those saying "I already own it" - you can't/wouldn't expect Walmart to give you a free Blu-ray because you already own the movie on DVD or on Laser Disc or on VHS.

#51 ·
It's like anything else. If you buy a book, you're not entitled to a free audio book copy. The publisher may offer it for free, but you're not entitled to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.