AVS Forum banner
2M views 21K replies 2K participants last post by  crux19 
#1 ·

The new Denon xx12 models are officially out so here's the owner's thread!

Because there is no 43xx level model this year, and all the models are essentially the same in basic setup and functionality, we are consolidating all of the models into one master thread this year.

Click here to read my instructions for customizing your Harmony remote to work with your Denon receiver!

Please review posts #1-#6 before posting your question!! These posts are updated regularly

and your question may already be answered there. Thanks.

Non-networked Models with no Video Conversion

The following three models do not have an ethernet connection for network features, and also do not have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output. This means that, if you have non-HDMI sources, you will need to make more than one video connection to your display.

AVR 1312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1612
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 1712
Product Page
Owner's Manual

Networked Models with Video Conversion

The following four models have an ethernet connection for network features, such as Pandora or Internet Radio streaming, web control via a networked computer, and the ability to update firmware from the internet. They also have the ability to convert analog video inputs to HDMI output, meaning that you can send all video inputs (HDMI and analog) to the TV with one HDMI cable for video.

AVR 1912
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2112
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 2312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

AVR 3312
Product Page
Owner's Manual

more info below!!

See less See more
#10,004 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

^^

Denon has progressively reduced the number of analog legacy inputs as well as dropped the external inputs and multi channel preouts from the lower/mid level models below the 331X series most likely as a cost cutting factor as the vast majority of the public buying this level of models won't need to use an external amp. Unless you are in a very large room or like to listen at very loud volumes, you likely wouldn't need an external amp with those speakers either; however, if you are considering preouts at all and don't want to go to the 331X series, consider the Marantz lower models as they generally feature FL/FR preouts at a minimum.

Thanks for the reply. Is there an advantage and/or large disadvantages in going with brands like Marantz, Anthem, Pioneer Elite etc aside from auto room correction choices (assuming not Audessey, but I didn't look yet)?

#10,006 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21786187

^^

Have you tried resetting your router? Connecting directly to the router if wireless (as recommended in the manual)? Unplug the AVR for a few minutes? Reset the microprocessor?

It's connected directly to the router, I could try to connect it directly to the modem?

I've tried resetting the router and also unplugging the AVR for a few minutes with no luck.

How do I reset the microprocessor?

#10,008 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedmann /forum/post/21786525

It's connected directly to the router, I could try to connect it directly to the modem?

I've tried resetting the router and also unplugging the AVR for a few minutes with no luck.

How do I reset the microprocessor?

The first few posts in this thread contains a FAQ and there are instructions on how to reset the microprocessor.

#10,009 ·
I posted this in the Speaker section as well:

When I originally bought my Denon AVR-1912, I bought a 5.1 sub/satellite system, which is not making me happy. The satellites are mounted on the ceiling, and they are only able to reach down to 150 Hz. I am planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers to go beside the TV. Is there any reason that I can't add a speaker selector and use both the satellites and the bookshelf speakers across the front? I realize that the crossover will be set around 80 Hz for the bookshelf speakers, and that the sub will no longer be filling that gap, but will this work?

#10,010 ·
no, what you want to do is use the ceiling speakers as HEIGHTS and then have a new pair of front L/R mains.

is your center channel up at the ceiling as well? all three primary front speakers (L/C/R) are important so if you get new bookshelf speakers, budget for a matching center as well.

#10,011 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/21787035

no, what you want to do is use the ceiling speakers as HEIGHTS and then have a new pair of front L/R mains.

is your center channel up at the ceiling as well? all three primary front speakers (L/C/R) are important so if you get new bookshelf speakers, budget for a matching center as well.

Can I use heights if I also use Zone 2? If not, will the setup I described above work at all?

My center is just above the TV, and I do plan to purchase a new one that matches the bookshelf speakers.

#10,012 ·
I just bought the 3312. New to Denon. Was going to get a Pioneer 55 but it didn't fit in my media cabinet.

Anyway did the setup through wizard and all seemed to go well but I notice the volume has to be almost at 0db to reach level I like for watching movies. Is this normal?

There isn't much room on the scale to go louder. Is it just the amp isn't that powerful and need to set the volume at this level? My old Pioneer would only have to be at -15 to be booming. I'm not sure if there is a setting I'm missing, etc.

The speakers I'm driving are the Artison Portraits and surrounds.

Thanks for any info.

#10,013 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminyard /forum/post/21787070

Can I use heights if I also use Zone 2? If not, will the setup I described above work at all?

My center is just above the TV, and I do plan to purchase a new one that matches the bookshelf speakers.

Although it would work, doesn't really make much sense to do it that way. You have a choice of either Front Height or powered Zone 2, but not both. If you prefer to keep Zone 2, then don't connect the ceiling speakers. Ideally the front 3 speaker tweeters should be at seated ear height.

#10,014 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Brent /forum/post/21787083

I just bought the 3312. New to Denon. Was going to get a Pioneer 55 but it didn't fit in my media cabinet.

Anyway did the setup through wizard and all seemed to go well but I notice the volume has to be almost at 0db to reach level I like for watching movies. Is this normal?

There isn't much room on the scale to go louder. Is it just the amp isn't that powerful and need to set the volume at this level? My old Pioneer would only have to be at -15 to be booming. I'm not sure if there is a setting I'm missing, etc.

Those speakers are 6Ω so will take a little more power to drive than would 8Ω speakers, and even then for someone that likes to listen at loud movie volume in a medium sized room, the volume can easily approach -5db. Ensure you have your front mains set to SMALL with 80hz crossovers to allow for more available headroom for the speakers. Also note your Pioneer AVR likely had a different volume scale. After running AUTO SETUP, reference volume is set to 0db using the default "relative" volume scale.

#10,015 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21785891

^^

Might be a little different on your EU unit, but close enough to the below to get you there ...

System Setup ---> Speaker Setup ---> Speaker Config ---> Crossover Freq ---> Advanced

OK, thanks. I've been there but been confused 'cause Auto setup menu still displays original settings in Parameter check

#10,017 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutis /forum/post/21787235

OK, thanks. I've been there but been confused 'cause Auto setup menu still displays original settings in Parameter check

Those settings cannot be changed, rather only indicate what the original AUTO SETUP settings were after the calibration as well as showing what the settings would be should you ever decide to use the RESTORE feature and return to those settings.

#10,018 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmeo /forum/post/21787272

Have a AVR 2112ci and plugged an IPOD touch into USB port. It plays and sounds great, displays on the units display, but no longer displays on the TV (Samsung LED)? It used to work perfectly, but now not sure where the TV GUI went? Thanks for any advice.

Ensure the iPod is in BROWSE mode (p. 25).

#10,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Brent /forum/post/21787083

keep in mind that your new avr needs some room to breathe... how much clearance do you have (top & sides)? is the cabinet enclosed?

#10,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/21786187

^^

Have you tried resetting your router? Connecting directly to the router if wireless (as recommended in the manual)? Unplug the AVR for a few minutes? Reset the microprocessor?

I have the same problem with the 2312. Did all the above steps, even connnected to an open network (live in a condo complex) and no joy. I've never gotten a firmware upgrade to work.

Generally no problem accessing my music server, and denon android app works ok so not sure what the problem is