AVS Forum banner
5M views 32K replies 4K participants last post by  bradman 
#1 ·
#31,644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz /forum/post/21785886

If you are NOT a GAMER - upgrading from Fat to Thin is a waste of money.

Today's Next Generation Blu-Ray players do everything for under $200.

Check out the Panasonic DMP-BDT220.

I think that's true.

However, the blu-ray player in ps3 is so robust and fast!

Also, ps3 is also the best dvd player that I have ever seen!

#31,645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 /forum/post/21786806

I think that's true.

However, the blu-ray player in ps3 is so robust and fast!

Also, ps3 is also the best dvd player that I have ever seen!

I own (3) PS3s and the Panasonic BLOWS the PS3 away in all departments for a
PLAYER only You should buy a Panasonic DMP-BDT220. for less than $150 and

see what a 4th Generation PLAYER will do. That is my two cent recommendation.

The thin PS3 is NOT A DARN THING NEW.

#31,649 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 /forum/post/21787018

Ok. I probably will sell the PS3 since I don't play games at all.

Looking for suggestion for a disc play for the following purposes:

1. good BD playing

2. good DVD playing

3. very good CD music playing both digital and very goood (audiophile) analogue output

4. SACD playing

#3 and #4 are a good reasons to KEEP the PS3.

SACD is an antique technology that almost no one supports any more.

#31,650 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge /forum/post/21786897

If you only use your PS3 for blu-rays, then you are much better off getting a standalone player. IMHO.

Just curious, I use my PS3 as a media player. I play AVCHD folders through an external HDD, stream from my PC's via PS3 Media Player, etc. Are there any standalone players that do that?

I sound like a fanboy trying to count the pro's to the PS3, but really I'm not. Certainly for Blu-ray playback only, there are less expensive and equal playback alternatives out there. However, in my case, since I use the media player like this (and it performs flawlessly), would I not be downgrading? Or do these new standalone players incorporate these abilities. The only reason I ask is that someday, the PS3 will bite the dust.

#31,651 ·

Quote:

1. good BD playing

2. good DVD playing

3. very good CD music playing both digital and very goood (audiophile) analogue output

4. SACD playing
CHRIS650

Search this website and click on the Capabilities you are looking for

#31,656 ·

Quote:

1. good BD playing

2. good DVD playing

4. SACD playing

The newer Sony blu-ray players, the x70 and x80 series, play SACD and the lower end models can be had for less than $150.

#31,657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 /forum/post/21787116

Just curious, I use my PS3 as a media player. I play AVCHD folders through an external HDD, stream from my PC's via PS3 Media Player, etc. Are there any standalone players that do that?

I sound like a fanboy trying to count the pro's to the PS3, but really I'm not. Certainly for Blu-ray playback only, there are less expensive and equal playback alternatives out there. However, in my case, since I use the media player like this (and it performs flawlessly), would I not be downgrading? Or do these new standalone players incorporate these abilities. The only reason I ask is that someday, the PS3 will bite the dust.

I know the Oppo players will do this, however, they cost 2x what a new PS3 costs. In your situation, I would replace a PS3 that has bitten the dust with a new PS3.

I personally think that the PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player, I use it myself. However, the OP said that he only uses his PS3 to play back BD disks. In that case, I would spend the $150 or so on a standalone player and be done with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.